Saturday, December 29, 2018

Top 10 Movies of 2018

Hello all my lovelies! I hope you all had a great holiday season and now it's that time of year again where I list my favorite movies and tv shows of the year! I've been doing these for about five years now so you should know the drill but if you don't, I'm going to be listing my Top 10 Movies of 2017 from 10 to 1 with number 1 being my favorite movie of the year! It turns out that I actually didn't watch that many movies this year so there will be no honorable mentions list at the top! If you're interested, I also have Top 10 Movies of 2013, Top 10 Movies of 2014, Top 10 Movies of 2015, Top 10 Movies of 2016 and Top 10 Movies of 2017! Anyway, let's get right to it with our top 10!

Ocean's 8

Coming in at number 10 is Ocean's 8! Now this movie was by no means a spectacular success and I wouldn't say that I loved it enough to rewatch it again but based on my first viewing of this movie, I had a lot of fun and so onto my top 10 it goes! I've always been a huge fan of heist movies and con artists cause I love watching people outwit others and watching schemes go down and that's pretty much what attracted me to this movie aside from it's killer cast. I loved watching the plan go down and how it turned out that the target was also in on the plan in the end and how they were able to steal what they wanted in the end. My favorite moment though was at the top in the makeup store when Sandra Bullock stole all that makeup by pretending to have lost her receipt when trying to return it.

Wreck It Ralph 2: Ralph Breaks The Internet

At number 9 is Wreck It Ralph 2: Ralph Breaks The Internet! I really enjoyed the first movie and the second was just as fun! I adored this new world we experienced and all the new characters we met though of course my favorites were the Disney princesses who were such a big deal to have and their scene when they met Vanellope was everything! I loved the humor in this movie that was just as good as the last and the new Easter Eggs and hints that popped up everywhere! It was a little crazy that there was no real villain in this movie cause the message was all about finding new things to fall in love with when you're feeling unfulfilled so Ralph was technically the villain cause he was afraid to lose Vanellope and thus tried to sabotage her fun.

Spider-Man: Into The Spiderverse

Coming in at number 8 is Spider-Man: Into The Spiderverse! I'm always down for another superhero movie and this one looked amazing from almost the first trailer I saw! I loved every moment of this movie from it's animation style to the characters to how many Easter Eggs there were! I loved how many different versions of Spiderman there were without the movie feeling overstuffed! We've seen so many versions of Peter Parker that it was about time to see Miles and even Spider Gwen! I loved the take on Kingpin in this cause I couldn't help but keep comparing him to the Daredevil version! This movie honestly had everything from comedy to action to heartwarming moments and if you haven't checked it out or was like meh it's another Spiderman movie or meh it's animated, you're seriously missing out!

Ant Man And The Wasp

At number 7 is Ant Man And The Wasp! I actually had a ton of fun in this movie and it reminded me of how much I loved the first one though in my opinion, this one might be slightly better! It was the perfect pick-me-up after Infinity War and I loved so much in this from Hope finally getting her Wasp costume to the heist feel of the plot to the humor that seriously killed me watching it. I loved that there was a good reason that Scott wasn't in the Avengers movie and that there were callbacks to him going out during Civil War and how that led to an estranged relationship with the Hank and Hope. It was a ton of fun seeing Luis and the other members of the crew as well as Cassie who was the cutest in this movie. I loved seeing the quantum realm again but the best part of the movie was when Luis was under the truth serum and narrating what happened in his point of view. The only thing I didn't care for was the villains of this movie both Ghost and that gangster dude who wanted to steal all their tech to sell later.

Aquaman

Coming in at number 6 is Aquaman! This was such a fun movie to watch you guys cause though it was nothing new or deep, I was totally on board from beginning to end. I loved the world this movie built and how real it felt and how each underwater kingdom felt different from the last. The underwater graphics were amazing as were all the creatures we met. I loved that there were no air bubbles and that this felt like more of a scavenger hunt than a superhero movie cause though there was a big battle at the end, most of the movie was spent searching for the trident. Jason Momoa was amazing as expected but I was really impressed with Amber Heard who I'd never seen act before. Though their chemistry was a bit lacking and the script was a bit cheesy and one-dimensional, I thought everyone did a great job on their own.

To All The Boys I've Loved Before

At number 5 is To All The Boys I've Loved Before! Though this is a Netflix movie, it was released this year and I loved it enough to decide it deserved a spot on this list! I was a pretty big fan of this book series so when I heard that the movie was coming out, I was pumped! I loved the main cast of this movie and how sweet Peter came out as he was played by Noah and how quirky Lara Jean was as played by Lana! The build of their relationship was perfect and I loved how so many scenes felt taken straight from the book and that the only big changes were made to make the movie better! I loved that the ending was changed so that the hot tub incident was less important and that Peter handled it better. The reconciliation at the end was great but it was a little weird because I'll be interested to see if the sequels follow the books too or if they get changed up a little to fit.

Black Panther

Coming in at number 4 is Black Panther! I liked Black Panther alright in Civil War but I was fascinated by the world he came from and this movie was everything in showing us that! I loved seeing Wakanda and learning about it's strengths and weaknesses and the culture and the tribes! It was amazing and it gave the normal Marvel formulaic storytelling a new light. All the characters were fascinating from Shuri to Nakia to Okoye and I loved seeing all the cool tech that the world had but what really sold me on this movie was Michael B Jordan as Killmonger. He was such a compelling villain and the most fascinating part was how you could understand his point of view and though he was going about it wrong, his complaints had merit. It was fascinating that in a movie about Black Panther, he was the least important part.

Crazy Rich Asians

Number 3 is Crazy Rich Asians! This movie blew up the world when it came out and it was funny to me cause since I watch so many asian dramas and movies, this wasn't a new concept to me but to most American audiences this was and after I watched it, despite having a plot that I've seen before many times, I loved it too! It was so much fun seeing the world that this movie created and seeing what a complete badass Rachel was and how she took no shit from Nick's rich world. If that was me, I would have run for the hills a long time ago! I loved meeting all of his family and how insane they were and seeing how the rich 1% lived in Singapore. The cinematography was gorgeous and I loved all the colors. Peik Lin was hilarious and I adored how much Rachel and Nick loved each other and that Eleanor eventually came around after she realized what a good person Rachel was and just how much Nick couldn't live without her. It was beautiful and fun and such a wild ride!

Incredibles 2

Coming in at number 2 is Incredibles 2! This was a long awaited movie cause Incredibles was so good and we all wanted a sequel and Disney Pixar listened and gave us a sequel that was just as fun as the first. I know some people were bothered that the plot was pretty similar to the first but I didn't mind it! I loved that the gender roles were switched so that Helen went off to fight crime and that Bob was left to take care of the kids and how well written it was because the movie showed just how important of a job being a parent is as well. I loved seeing Bob struggle to do well and how he never took it out on the kids and how he buckled down to do his best. Jack Jack stole the show with his two amazing scenes when he was chasing that raccoon and when he was left with Edna! I do wish that there was more action as a family but I loved the final confrontation on the yacht!

Avengers: Infinity War

And finally my number 1 movie of 2018 is Avengers: Infinity War! Seriously is this a surprise to anyone? I'm a huge Marvel nerd as you all know and I've watched everything Marvel from it's tv shows to all of it's movies so this being the culmination of 10 years in the making made this movie all the more incredible. I was astounded by how every single character was fit into this movie and how each one had something to do and no one felt unnecessary. I loved seeing all these characters who have never met before interact with each other and it was so heartbreaking watching some of them die! Thor was a breakout cause after Ragnarok he was basically reborn as a character and he stole the show for me with his hilarious interactions with the Guardians to his pain over losing Loki to his badass entrance into Wakanda when he almost won the day! I loved that the only ones left at the end were the original Avengers plus a few and I'm sure that most of the character interactions that were missed in this movie will be done there (things like Steve and Tony reconciling.)


I hope you enjoyed this list and I'll see you all tomorrow for my Top 10 TV Shows of 2018 and then Monday for my Top 10 Asian Dramas of 2018!

xoxo Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment