Sunday, December 31, 2017

Top 10 Movies of 2017

Hello all my lovelies! I hope you all had a great holiday season and now it's that time of year again where I list my favorite movies and tv shows of the year! I've been doing these for about four years now so you should know the drill but if you don't, I'm going to be listing my top 10 movies of 2017 from 10 to 1 with 1 being my favorite movie of the year! I also will have a honorable mentions list at the top for other movies I enjoyed this year but not enough to be in the top 10! If you're interested, I also have Top 10 Movies of 2013Top 10 Movies of 2014Top 10 Movies of 2015, and Top 10 Movies of 2016

Let's get right to it with our honorable mentions!

Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2

So up first in my honorable mentions is Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2! Now this was a highly enjoyable movie and I'm always up for comedic superhero movies but I felt as though nothing really happened in this movie and that the humor may have been too much. Don't get me wrong, I had fun but it felt like popcorn in that I watched it, enjoyed it but ultimately got nothing out of it. I did love seeing more of these characters and I think the most exciting part is knowing that these characters will meet up with the Avengers in the future and I can't wait to see that. Ego was great (though I mean who didn't guess he was going to be the villain even if you're a general viewer) and I loved the final fight where Yondu sacrificed himself to save the others. I was a bit dissapointed that Peter ultimately gave up his power cause it was damn cool but I get why he did.

Before I Fall

Next up is Before I Fall! I'm sure you know how much I love reading and movies based on books but I had never read Before I Fall so I had never planned on checking out this movie but I was bored one day and this popped up so I decided to check it out and I loved it! I love the idea of reliving the same day over and over and no matter how many times I see this trope, I never get bored even if I know exactly how each scene will go. The characters were great, the storyline was fun and the romance was cute but what really sold me was the ending of this movie and the huge plot twist that I will not spoil! Check this movie out if you have two hours to kill!

Everything, Everything

My second to last honorable mention is Everything, Everything! Again this is another movie based on a book that came out this year but unlike Before I Fall, I actually read this book and loved it so I was pretty excited to watch the movie and I was not disappointed! I loved the way this movie was shot, the romance was super believable and I had fun! I do prefer the book if I'm being honest but that doesn't mean I disliked the movie. Something about the way the book told the story felt more real to me. Click here to see my book review!

Justice League

Last but certainly not least, comes a movie which I am disappointed that I did not enjoy more: Justice League! Now if you know me, you know I'm a DC girl more than a Marvel one. I grew up watching the DC cartoons: Justice League, Justice League Unlimited, Static Shock, Young Justice, etc so I've always had a soft spot for my DC heroes and of course I love the DCTV Arrowverse slate of shows so despite being burned by Man of Steel and Batman v Superman, I did have fairly high hopes for this movie after the success that was Wonder Woman. Unfortunately this movie fell flat. The villain was a throwaway and the pacing was strange. I enjoyed the new characters though but the quick visit to Atlantis felt so strange and I hated that there needed to be a weird air pocket so characters could speak. Diana was fab as expected and I actually really enjoyed Batman here and his relationship with Diana. Cyborg was a fun addition and Barry was fine (you know I love Wally more) so it's very strange to me how this movie didn't work despite so many positives. Despite all this, I did enjoy a large chunk of this movie so onto the honorable mentions list it goes!


Now let's move onto my top 10!

Beauty And The Beast

Coming in at number 10 is Beauty and the Beast!!! No big surprise here right? I am forever a child at heart and though Beauty and the Beast isn't one of my most favorite Disney movies, I still looked forward to seeing this live action adaptation of the film and though this wasn't as perfect as Cinderella was a few years ago, I had a ton of fun watching it! The cinematography was beautiful, the songs were excellent and the actors all killed it! If you read my full length review which you can see here, you know that I just felt like something was missing from the film and after watching it a second time, I still feel the same way though I still don't know why that is! I was super disappointed in Belle's gold dress which didn't look as epic as I thought it should but overall it's a fun time especially if you love the animated movie!

Kingsman: The Golden Circle

Number 9 is Kingsman: The Golden Circle! I didn't see first movie of this series in time for my top 10 ranking last year but if I had, I definitely would have placed it somewhere on my list because these movies are so much fun! They're parodies of Bond movies and because of that, they don't take themselves too seriously and allow you to just revel in the craziness that is happening on screen. Unfortunately this sequel wasn't as fun as the first movie and there a lot of problems *cough the sex scene cough* but despite that, I still enjoyed myself. I do wish Channing Tatum was in more of this movie and that Roxy wasn't killed off as early as she was but those are smaller nitpicks. The fighting was amazing and I'm always down for spying and spy tech! You'll definitely enjoy this movie if you don't take it too seriously!

Thor: Ragnarok

Coming in at number 8 is Thor: Ragnarok! Sooooo yeah this was a pretty amazing movie and there was SO MUCH LOKI and you know Loki is my favorite part of the Thor movies (minus Chris Hemsworth's amazing body but shush I'm trying not to be a girl here) so I was all about that. I loved the comedy, the acting, and the visuals! The only reason that it's so low on my list despite the fun I had is that not only were there a bunch more movies that I enjoyed a lot more than this one but also because this movie had problems the same way Justice League had, the only difference being that I was more connected to these characters and what they were going through. The plot was strange, the comedy was a little too heavy in certain parts and though Cate Blanchett was chewing up the scenery I was so bored with her part and kept wanting to go back to Thor and Loki and Banner. I loved that Thor lost his hammer cause his new lightning powers are so badass! I liked Valkyrie though the disappearance of Jane felt very strange and out of nowhere. Overall it was definitely my favorite of the Thor movies but still nowhere near my top Marvel movies!

Spiderman: Homecoming

Number 7 is Spiderman: Homecoming! So I really wasn't all that excited for this movie cause despite loving Spiderman and Tom Holland in Civil War, I was a little burnt out on Spiderman movies especially since I've never really been a huge fan of Spiderman (not that I hate him, I'm just meh about it.) We just had a reboot a few years ago and now we're having another before the last one even sunk in. Despite all this, you know I had to go see this movie cause you know I have to see them all and I was honestly pleasantly surprised. I really enjoyed myself and Tom Holland's take on Peter Parker. I loved all the characters we were introduced to, Tony popping in and out, and the fact that Keaton was an amazing villain who despite having a pretty sketch origin story turned out to be one of my favorite Marvel villains with a fun twist in the end. Peter finally felt like a teenager and this may have been my favorite Spiderman movie that I've seen. I can't wait to see more of Tom Holland!

Baby Driver

Coming in at number 6 is Baby Driver! So superhero and sci-fi movies are basically what keep me alive which always makes me feel as though they take up too much space on my top 10 lists but I promise you that I do watch other movies and this was one of them that I not only watched but really enjoyed! Baby Driver was such a different movie compared to anything I've seen before! I'm not a car person and I've never seen any of the Fast and Furious movies but I love Lily and Ansel and I heard rave reviews on this movie so I decided to check it out and I fell in love! I loved the way music was used in this film and it has to be one of the most unique ways I've seen! I loved the plot, the characters and the acting! This movie is definitely one you have to see! I promise you won't be disappointed!

Murder On The Orient Express

Number 5 is Murder on the Orient Express! I'm a huge lover of murder mysteries and though I never read the Agatha Christie novel, I was super pumped to check out this movie and let me tell you I was not disappointed with what I got. The way this movie was filmed was so fun and there were some really excellent shots! I loved the murder plot and the conclusion was definitely a twist I did not see coming! I loved all the acting, the visuals, the characters, pretty much everything! I do not think I have a single complaint with this film other than maybe how Hercule dealt with the murderer in the end cause though I see where he was coming from, I do not think the character would have acted that way! If you haven't seen this movie and you love murder mysteries or interesting cinematography, what are you waiting for??

The Lego Batman Movie

Coming in at number 2 is The Lego Batman Movie! I freaking adored this movie and I'm pretty sure I never stopped smiling the entire length of this film. The Lego Movie won my heart a few years ago and this movie did the same! I loved this comedic take on Batman and the Bat Family and the Batman universe! The Batman/Joker relationship killed me, the jokes were so on point, there was a lot of fourth wall breaking which I teared up for cause it was so funny and I just had a great time! This movie didn't take itself seriously at all and I loved it!

Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Number 3 is Star Wars: The Last Jedi! You had to have known this movie was going to pop up sooner or later right? How could it not have been! It's Star Wars! But why is this movie so high up on this list when it seems the vast majority of people across the internet seemed to have negative feelings about it? Simple. I enjoyed myself during this movie. Were there problems? Of course. Did they take away from the amazing parts of this movie? Not even a little. I loved the relationship between Rey and Kylo, Luke was so badass, Carrie was perfection and I even grew to love Poe who was kind of just there in the last movie! I mean yeah the Finn subplot was garbage and did I wish that Kylo and Rey kind of went off together whether Kylo was neutral and Rey was good or they were both good yeah but none of that took away from probably the best space battle of any of the Star Wars movies or the Rey/Kylo fight scene in Snoke's chambers or the Luke/Kylo battle at the end! People were way to harsh in my opinion about this movie. If I had to rank Star Wars movies, it'd be ESB, RoJ, TLJ, TFA, ANH, RO, RoS, TPM, AoC so you know I had fun! Also RIP Carrie Fisher, I will miss you always.

The Greatest Showman

Coming in at number 2 is The Greatest Showman! I went back and forth about whether I wanted this movie to be number 1 or 2 because that's just how much I loved this movie. Ultimately I went with number 2 but that doesn't take anything away! Again this is a movie that I did not stop smiling during like 3/4 of the film. I went into this movie with no expectations other than to have fun and so I was pleasantly surprised to find that not only was this a musical but that it was such a fun story despite being riddled with tropes that I could see coming a mile away! Every song in this movie was amazing, Hugh Jackman has the most beautiful voice and the romance between Zac Efron and Zendaya leapt off the screen! I've seen this movie twice already and I cannot tell you one negative I had during either viewing!

Wonder Woman

Now last but CERTAINLY not least, my number 1 movie of 2017 is Wonder Woman!!!!! Come on this was almost a no brainer! Like I said I did go back and forth with whether I wanted this at 1 or 2 but ultimately I went with 1 cause I just can't with how perfect this movie was and the rush of feelings I got at seeing the first good female superhero movie. What can I even say that you don't already know? Gal Gadot was perfection as Diana, Themyscira was gorgeous, the Amazons were so badass, the fight scenes were amazing, the slow motion shots were fun, Chris Pine as Steve Trevor was adorable and guys that No Man's Land Scene deserves to be memorialized forever as possibly the best scene of any superhero movie ever. Did this movie have problems? Of course, every movie does. Did the final battle with Ares get a little long and a little boring? Yes but everything else was such perfection that I did not care one bit in the larger scheme of things. DC struck gold with Wonder Woman and I literally cannot wait to see more from her. She was the best part of Batman v Superman and one of the best parts of Justice League so give me all the Wonder Woman you can!


And with that, my top 10 movies of 2017 list is concluded! I hope you enjoyed it and let me know what you're top 10 would be! I hope you have a wonderful New Year!

Don't forget to check out my top 10 tv shows of 2017 list tomorrow!

xoxo Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment