Monday, April 7, 2014

Turn: Washington's Spies Pilot Review

Hey guys!!! So I have been seeing commercials for this new show on AMC called Turn: Washington's Spies. Almost immediately my attention was captured because I thought a show about the American Revolutionary War was very interesting and there's not a lot of shows like that around. So I decided to give it a shot and it turned out to be pretty good! I always give a new show about 3ish episodes before I decide if I want to watch it so when the pilot is good, that's always awesome! The characters were all fairly interesting, the plot was amazing and the pilot was only slightly confusing but that's only because you needed introduction to everyone while they already know each other. The beginning was a little slow but as soon as the "spying" started it got much better! There are spoilers ahead so if you haven't watched it, I would definitely check it out and come back once your done!!

So as I said I did enjoy this show. Shows like these always make me feel super patriotic and it makes me all warm and fuzzy inside. The beginning was a little slow and kind of confusing but the pacing was quickly remedied and I did eventually catch on to what happened in one of the opening scenes. 

I do like the main character, Abe. I kind of hope it doesn't take too long for him to get into the spying because his moral drama was kind of boring. His wife, Mary, seems to be a bit of a doormat. Maybe I just haven't seen enough of her but from what I gathered, there really isn't any love between the two and it's hard to tell who's side she's on as of now. Anna, the woman Abe loves but had to leave, seems  fairly interesting. She's strong and I'm predicting that she will have a bigger role in the spy ring as the show continues. It's smart for her to be a part of it because men in those times barely suspected women of being able to do something like that! Abe's father (who's name I can't remember) was also interesting. He's a loyalist and a very strong one at that! I definitely foresee trouble from him although I did like that he helped Abe get out of trouble twice!

I also liked the way that most of the Redcoats weren't portrayed as evil or selfish because of course they are the villains and it's easy to portray them as such. When a show takes the high road, it makes them more interesting because you know they're all good people that simply follow their crown and laws. The colonies aka the rebels aka the militia aka the Bluecoats (it took me a little to realize which side they were on) also have some cool people! I know I'm going to love Caleb and Ben seems awesome too. I don't think either will betray Abe but I feel like something they do might negatively affect Abe because Ben seems to be looking out for the safety of the whole and sometimes you need to do things that benefit the general public such as not killing the Captain of the army. Speaking of, he's super creepy! I thought he was from the moment we met him but the fact that he was standing in front of Anna's room while she sleeps and sneaking in there when she's out is uber-freaky! I was hoping he wouldn't go for Anna in the cellar when Abe was hiding because I knew then Abe would attack him and everyone would automatically blame him.

So the idea of spying started from the beginning of the pilot when Ben is telling the captain (or major I can't remember) that there might be a spy in their midst and he thinks they should get them too. It was funny to see Abe spying because he literally climbed through a window and knocked things over but no one noticed. I loved all of these scenes and I definitely think they're the reason why I will continue the show.

I kind of hope that there isn't too much romance because the focus of the show should be the spy ring. I don't mind if Anna and Abe have a fling, I just think the spying is more interesting... Actually I was expecting Mary to die in the pilot for some reason. Idk why. I just did. I feel like she's going to have a big part in the drama and eventually she'll find out what Abe is doing. Her reaction could go either way but I feel like she may join the spy ring in a small role (or ignore it) because as she said, neither she or Thomas (the baby) can survive without him.

I can't wait to see more of the other spies and I hope that Abe doesn't take too long to pick a side and stay with it. We ALL know that this was not a one-time thing!! So that's all! I'm definitely going back to check it out and you should too!!!

xoxo Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment