Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Agents of SHIELD Season 2 Episode 11 Review

So I was pumped to watch last night's episode of Agents of SHIELD but when I finally finished the episode, I realized it wasn't as exciting as I wanted it to be.... Now don't get me wrong, I thought it was a great episode overall but ever since season 2 rolled around, I've had very high expectations for this show, which were made even higher after the midseason finale. So overall I'd give this episode an about average B.

Let's talk about the Bakshi-Coulson plot first. When Coulson first proposed the "let's bring Bakshi to Talbot in plain view of the world," I wasn't a fan. I was confused because Coulson is much smarter than that and it was clear that Hydra would be able to stop them with that plan, especially when they weren't going to bring any back-up. Then on top of this, May and Coulson just randomly started talking about Whitehall and his death in front of Bakshi. But when it was finally revealed that Hunter was the one who lead Bakshi away, I changed my mind. It was a great plan!! I loved that Coulson out-thought the head council of Hydra, who by-the-way we've never seen before. Where were they when Whitehall was running amuck with Cal? Anyway, I loved the idea of the heads of Hydra devouring themselves rather than having SHIELD do it. I'm assuming that since Bakshi STILL hasn't been killed off, he's going to become the new head of Hydra (after it rebuilds itself) and he will lead the new Hydra against SHIELD. Having said this, I doubt this will happen until the end of season 2 because the main plot of this part of season 2 seems to be the inhumans (or at least I hope so).

Next I want to talk about the characters and how they changed since Tripp's death. At first I was totally on board with Mack hating on Coulson and his plans because let's be honest, we've all had our moments where Coulson annoyed us but then he turned his attack on aliens and Skye. It's hard with this show because we know more than the characters do so it's kind of frustrating having to watch the characters play catch-up. WE all know what happened to Skye and who the inhumans are but no one on the show does.

Simmons was similar in her hatred of aliens. She has had this will-they won't-they thing with Tripp last season and although the show seemed to forget about that this season, it helped in explaining why she thought the way she did with the aliens and wanting to eradicate them. I was very thrown-back when she brought up killing Raina to Coulson and May because Simmons has always been a sweet girl but after thinking about it a little more, it made sense. Of the group, Simmons has always been the analytical one. It would make sense that she compartmentalized her feelings, especially after seeing Raina kill some SHIELD members, and decide to look at it from a scientific point of view. Because again, the members of this show don't know that inhumans aren't a virus. All they know is that Raina has been turned into a creature with thorns on her and Tripp was killed.

Skye spent most of this episode in a quarantine room, freaking out. She was terrified that she had been changed and it didn't help that people kept coming to her and talking about how much they wanted to kill the aliens. I was hoping to see more of her earthquake powers but I did like she broke that light. I really want her to be able to find someone who will help her with her newfound powers without judging her and SPOILERS (I'm excited for the new character to show up who will do just that).

Fitz the sweetheart was the one to support Skye in the end. Honestly thinking back, of course it had to be him. Fitz has always been the one to look for good in people and he's changed so much this season that he knows what it's like to have to adjust to being different. I was pissed at him for a second for freaking out and running away when he realized that Skye had powers but he made it up when he returned after replacing Skye's blood with an old sample. The hug between Skye and Fitz was so sweet and I loved how he told Skye that she may be different now but that's not a bad thing. It was exactly what Skye needed to hear and I really hope this means that Skye and Fitz will become even closer friends because there was little to no interaction between them in the first half of the season.

I felt so bad for Raina this entire episode. She had been the one who wanted to use the Obelisk and she's the one who was physically changed in such a way that it scared everyone else. When she moves, it physically hurts and that's a terrifying thought. She turned to Cal in hope that he would help her but all he cared about was the fact that Skye had been affected too. I was literally holding my breath when she tried to walk into traffic, which by-the-way is like the worst way to kill yourself. When Gordon saved her, I was relieved and I kind of hope the show decides to forgo the whole "she's a villain while Skye's the hero" thing. I would love for Skye and Raina to be on the same team and I'm not sure where Gordon stands. He was trained by Skye's mom so I'd hope he'd at least not be a villain.

The episode ended with Bobbi and Mack being all sketchy. Honestly I was suspicious when Mack apologized to Coulson but when the toy car he built found Fury's box, I was annoyed. I really hope the two of them aren't Hydra because we've already seen the whole sleeper agent storyline with Ward (who was unfortunately left out of this episode). I read some comments about Bobbi possibly being part of Leviathan and the Black Widow Academy which would be fascinating but since Bobbi is Mockingbird in the comics, I doubt that would happen. More likely is the idea that Bobbi and Mack are working for Maria Hill who in turn is working for Tony Stark. They probably want to build their own SHIELD or they want to keep an eye on Coulson and that's why they have Bobbi and Mack spying.

So overall I did like the episode and I believe I covered everything. What did you think? Did this episode meet your expectations? If I missed anything or want to leave your opinion, leave me a comment below!

xoxo Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment