Friday, September 28, 2018

What Dramas Am I Watching This Week?

Here's what I'm watching this week! Of course the list is split by country and episodes I've seen so far are written below! There will be spoilers from now on so if you aren't caught to the episode number I list, you might want to go watch that episode and then come back! If you're interested in previous lists, click here and if you want to see a list of my favorite asian OTPs and ships, click here!

KDRAMA


Devilish Joy (8/16): Gong Ma Sung is a successor to the Sunwoo company. Life seems to be going well until he gets into a car accident while trying to help a woman. Since then, he suffers from memory loss where his memory lasts only a day. Every night before bed, he writes notes about what happened to him that day and the next morning he memorizes everything that happened. Gong Ma Sung then meets Joo Gi Beum, a formerly well-known actress, and falls in love.

Ahhh we're halfway through this show and things are finally moving along! Ma Sung and Gi Beum are literally the cutest sweetest most adorable couple ever and I watch this show for them! Every time they interact I have this huge grin on my face. I love that he finally remembered what happened between them 3 years ago and I'd like to believe that he remembered hearing about that CEO selling her to that dead actor too cause CEO Kim is SUCH a douchebag and I NEED him to be destroyed by the end of this show. Now that he's remembered I would love for him to tell Gi Beum the truth about his memory loss and every time it comes up, I always get my hopes up that maybe this is the time when he'll tell the truth but he never does and it's obnoxious cause now that the evil CEO knows, he'll probs be the one to tell her the truth but in a way that makes it sound like all her fault causing her to break up with him out of guilt cause that's how these shows work. I should be more annoyed with it but I'm just glad that she'll finally know the truth! I'm even warming up to Ha Im cause I find her relationship with Ki Joon adorable. Speaking of adorable, I loved that the secretary chose Ma Sung's side and I was dying every time he pulled out the resignation letter. This show has it's funny moments every once in a while that are so unexpected that they kill me!
    The Ghost Detective (14/32): Lee Da Il is a private investigator. Jung Yeo Wool becomes his assistant to solve a mystery related to her younger sibling’s death. They work together to solve other mysterious crimes.

    Only two episodes aired this week which is heartbreaking cause of all the shows that I'm currently watching, this one is my favorite and I hate that we lost two episodes but we did learn a little more this week. So as expected Da Il killing the red woman didn't work and now she's even more horrible in that she can not only affect people but now she can touch them and kill them herself too. She told that witness not to say anything about her and even when she wasn't around, he couldn't mention her. Like his memories basically got rewritten. Also she seemed to have creepily gone and gotten dressed in what looked to be Yeo Wool's apartment but I might be wrong about that. I'm glad they were able to get the police to stop suspecting Yeo Wool cause like Da Il said, they really do have more important things to do. Everyone's kinda on board but the detective and the lawyer don't believe in ghosts and I'm not sure why Da Il can't lift a pen or something to prove that ghosts exist and nip that in the bud. We also learned that the detective is into Yeo Wool like I called a couple of weeks ago (honestly I wouldn't be super against that if Da Il is really dead) and that the ex of Yeo Wool's sister also recognizes the red woman so I'm interested to know how he fits into all of this. I'm not thrilled with the fact that Da Il constantly touching stuff is dangerous but again expected cause how else is he supposed to have stakes? It was kind of funny though that all it took was some kind of desperation or strength of will on his part to be able to touch things. I feel like it'll probs be more based on his motives for touching things that will turn him like hurting a human is bad (obviously) but touching a pen and writing isn't.
    FINISHED Time (32/32): This is the story of two polar opposite people that come together in tragedy. One remains stuck in time, whilst the other only has a limited amount of time left to live. Seol Ji Hyun is a woman who, although living a hard life, remains positive, upbeat and social. Cheon Soo Ho is the CEO of a restaurant and the son of a wealthy family with a terrible temper and no regard for other people. They both meet briefly under negative impressions of each other. However, their lives become entangled once more when Ji Hyun's sister dies unexpectedly in Soo Ho's residence. From there, Ji Hyun's time stops and she becomes a cold, miserable person who finds nothing to live for. But Soo Hoo, who carries heavy guilt and is drawn to her, promises to himself to use the 6 months he has left to live to help her, whose life was destroyed because of him. In the process, Soo Ho falls in love with Ji Hyun, but how far can love develop when you only have a limited time left to live?

    What a terribly sad ending for a terribly sad show you guys. Honestly even to the very last last minute of this show, the only character who tugged on my heartstrings was Soo Ho no matter how much pity I felt for Ji Hyun. I was sobbing once again when she was packing up his clothes and talking about the outfit she met him in and then when she wrote him that letter telling him that she misses him and is trying to live well and that basically she loves him without actually saying that. It was fascinating how despite everything and how much they clearly liked each other, neither said those three little words out loud! I did like that the truth all finally came out and everyone who was involved went to jail though I do wish that the Chairman had gotten more time cause despite everything, he never once changed his mind or repented and truly he might have been the most evil character in this show. It was so satisfying seeing the other son come and beg the chairman for help cause he had only just taken over and he already nearly bankrupted the company. I also did wish that we could have actually seen Ji Hyun be a little happier and I expected her to adopt that kid cause at the very least he would have been a welcome addition to her life. It was also a little funny cause this is one of the first dramas that I have watched where a main lead dies in not a fantasy setting so in the back of my mind I was like so reincarnation? Overall I did enjoy this show but in a wow life is terrible and I hate everything sort of way lol. I'd give it a 8.5 / 10 for sure!

    CDRAMA


    Age of Legends (6/47): Chan William plays Liu Zi Guang, 30 years old, representing young men with a burning ardor, persevering to the top despite his humble background, displaying stories of love from all around. With a strong sense of justice and courage, he gathers a group of like-minded men. Due to an incident, he disappears from the world for 8 years, returning to find his dad beat up and admitted to the hospital. After delivering his brand of punishment to the deserved people, the nurses fall for his charms and upon meeting our female lead, the cop in charge of the case, they butt heads immediately. Doesn’t help that she discovers his involvement with a case from 8 years ago and is determined to uncover more dirt about him. 

    I wasn't sure at first if I wanted to check out this drama because I was burned by Lover's Lies which had a similar plot to this one with the whole undercover drug world thing but my bae William Chan was in this and looking smoking hot on the poster so I decided why the hell not. At the very least I could enjoy his beautiful dimples for a hot second. After watching six episodes, I'm not entirely sure how accurate the synopsis is cause Zi Guang's dad was dead before the show even started and I was pretty sure that this whole show would be about taking down the crime boss aka his sworn brother but your guess is as good as mine. I was dying about how sexy I found William Chan in his scraggly drug lord look which really goes to show you how either I'm just so in love with him or he straight up looks amazing no matter what. I'm really sad that Hu Rong's dad is dead but I sort of expected that as soon as he popped up on screen tbh. I'm really not a fan of the amnesia storyline cause it really does put the poor guy at such a disadvantage so I'm hoping that he'll remember everything soon enough and honestly Hu Rong is a little annoying right now. Like she just decided that he's suspicious cause he's buff, could fight and had a tattoo. Like we know why he is he way he is but why does she assume that he's a bad guy immediately? Also I'm not sure about the timeline in this show. I'm going off on the assumption that he washed up on that beach a few days later but that doesn't explain why his best friend mob boss is acting weird about him cause they didn't have any kind of falling out before he disappeared so like shouldn't the friend want to go get him? I'm interested to see more but I don't predict this show being a favorite of mine. I feel like I just get more attached to cdramas that aren't set in modern day...
    Fights Break Sphere (27/45): Xiao Yan is a genius child who suddenly loses all his powers.In a world governed by strength and power, Xiao Yan’s lack of talent is an embarrassment to his family. At the age of 15, Xiao Yan accidentally summons Yao Chen from his mother’s ring. With the elder’s help, Xiao Yan’s skills improve by leaps and bounds. After his entire family is assassinated, Xiao Yan embarks on a journey to find his family’s killer and return peace to the Jianghu (martial world.)

    One of the struggles when I watch these kind of mystical wuxia shows are that I literally never understand the rules though I suppose that makes my attachment to what I'm watching stronger.... At first I was annoyed that pretty much everyone who was in any kind of position of power was part of the Blood Sect and how easy it was to infect others cause I thought the show was telling us that they had infected the leader of the academy. But then plot twist you learn that he never was infected and was just acting insane to keep them off his trail. I was so so glad cause it was getting ridiculous that everyone ally we had was evil! And then it seemed that they not only used his absence to infect Xiao Yan (which horrified me more than it should) but also that he was going down a dark path. I was honestly just as disappointed as his teacher in the ring was with him but apparently he was able to beat the darkness and now is able to use both good and evil techniques in battle. Also sidebar but if other people can sense evil auras inside a person, why can't they sense the Soul Palace spies? Done for plot connivence? Anyway I was excited about this group we were building but honestly it just seems like most of them are around to be comedic and heaven forbid Xun'er gets something to do. I'm just hoping that with the Gu Tribe name being dropped so often that it means that eventually she'll have something to fix with them giving her something to do. I am also a bit disappointed with how slow the romance is building but his evil persona did place her importance up with his mom and dad so maybe that's something? I was hoping a little that he would admit to being jealous of whoever that hero was that she told him she liked but unfortunately not....
    FINISHED Oh My General (60/60): During the Song Dynasty, Ye Zhao cross dresses to become a general of outstanding ability, receiving a top rank of general. The Empress Dowager constantly worries about Ye Zhao holding too much power and took the opportunity to betroth Ye Zhao to one of the Emperor's nephews, the no-good Prince of Nanping, Zhao Yujin, who possesses remarkable beauty but is pampered, lazy and spends his time on "useless" artistic pursuits. Thus, the story of the real battle of who will take power in this new household begins.

    I started this show expecting and hoping for a comedic wuxia show and I ended up finding a really adorable one that I fell in love with! I enjoyed pretty much every moment of this show from it's characters to it's comedy to it's political plot! Imagine that huh? I actually enjoyed watching politics and power struggles for a throne! I loved that the show knew when to be comedic and when to be serious. I loved the romance between our main leads and how they basically switched the male and female role in normal shows. I loved that the king was actually kind and moral and smart for once so he couldn't be swayed by enemies lying to him when they tried to turn him against the people he trusted. I did get a tiny bit bored in the middle of the show when we seemed to switch focus from our main leads to the court politics but it only took a few episodes for me to get back on board. I also was surprised to find how much I fell in love with Crown Prince Hardun as a character and how much I wished that he could have lived happily with Xiyin who I pretty much disliked the entire show (because dude the guy you loved turned out to be a girl so how about you move on and not decide to kill yourself!) I'd like to believe that drinking poison at the end was due to her finding Hardun dead cause she loved him and not out of guilt or sadness from Zhao not being with her. Overall I really enjoyed this show and I'd definitely give it a 9 / 10! The beginning of the show is a little hard to get through but if you stick through it, you'll find an amazing show!

    xoxo Allie

    No comments:

    Post a Comment