Wednesday, July 1, 2020

Spring 2020 Anime Awards

Hey guys! So this week was the last week of the Spring 2020 Anime Season so I thought it would be fun to shout out some of the my superlatives for the season!

Anime Of The Season

Fruits Basket is definitely my anime of the season for so many many reasons and I can't help but wonder if it's fair to have it here cause it's second season isn't actually over yet not to mention the fact that maybe I should have placed an actual seasonal anime as my pick but it's my anime list so bite me! I mean what can I say about Fruits Basket that hasn't already been said?? I love the way it balances lighthearted moments with dark ones and how everything though fluffy at first glance is so much darker underneath! The characters are all so charming and I really enjoyed how the first season was all about meeting our characters and learning their backstories so that season 2 could focus on the plot and the Sohma family curse. Click here to read more of my thoughts about this anime.

Runner Up - Tower Of God

Hidden Gem 

Gleipnir is my hidden gem of the season cause I really had no idea what this anime would be about and after I started watching it, I was honestly shocked by how interested I was in the story and the characters but even more so with how little it was talked about this season! I mean yeah it's got an obscene amount of fan service in it but I find that it doesn't bother me as much as it probably should cause I get so distracted with the dark plot and the fascinating characters and the cool mystery! I really think more people should be checking this anime out cause it's totally worth a watch. I love that we learn more about the world as the characters do but as it goes on we're left wondering if we actually don't know anything at all! I do wish there was a bit more action in this anime cause I went in thinking it'd be a death game show like Darwin's Game but it feels a bit more like a scavenger hunt than anything else.

Runner Up - My Next Life As A Villainess: All Routes Lead To Doom!

Best Sequel 

Fruits Basket Season 2 is without a doubt the best sequel of this season but then again it didn't have much competition with there only being two anime that I watched this season that were sequels but in the end I went with Fruits Basket cause not only was it something I had waited a year for but I felt like it was a fantastic sequel to the first season cause it took what we loved and added to it. I'm fascinated by the arcs our main characters go through and how much they've changed from the first time we met them. The stakes feel so much higher this season and I'm so glad that the show is officially tackling romance and we're learning more about the family curse and what it means. Click here to read more of my thoughts about this anime.

Runner Up - Psycho Pass 3: First Inspector

Greatest Animation/Character Design

Tower Of God is my pick for best character design but this was a hard one cause I feel like unlike the winter season where there was a clear winner, this season had a bunch of anime that felt similar in terms of art style which is why I thought I should shout out the simplistic nature of the animation and characters in Tower Of God. Since this anime is based off of a Korean webtoon, the animators decided to keep the characters looking the same as they were first drawn and that's amazing cause it definitely separates them from the others. I like that almost every creature is drawn to look like something that isn't part of our world and I think all the action is well depicted too!

Runner Up - BNA

Best OP 

Top by Stray Kids from Tower Of God is my pick for best OP for many reasons. Low key I adore Stray Kids so I was kinda biased from the start that one of my favorite kpop groups sang the opening and it's a bop for sure. I also like the way the OP cuts between scenes from the anime and title credits which I know a lot of people hated but I enjoyed!

Runner Up - Prism by AMPM from Fruits Basket

Protagonist Of The Season

Shuichi Kagaya and Clair Aoki from Gleipnir are favorite protagonists of the season and it might be cheating to have picked two protagonists rather than one but I'd argue that in Gleipnir, Shuichi and Clair are both the leads of the show cause where one goes, the other follows and the show would not be the same without both. At first glance it seems like the two couldn't be more different and that Shuichi is the gentler lead but as the show goes on, you start to see that the two are more alike than you realize. They're both ready to do whatever is necessary and want to protect each other from everything and it was a fascinating to see Shuichi learn to embrace who he is and to stop hiding from himself.

Runner Up - Tohru Honda from Fruits Basket

Antagonist Of The Season

Akito Sohma from Fruits Basket is without a doubt the best antagonist of the season and really there was no competition for him! Akito is fascinating cause not only do we not know much about his backstory or his motivations but we also don't see him every week and yet he's always this looming presence is the back of our minds. He is able to control every member of the Sohma clan through a mix of emotional and physical abuse, choosing his words and actions so carefully that when he does strike, he can destroy months of personal growth in one meeting. I love how he's practically the complete opposite of Tohru and I can't wait until we learn more about what made him the way he is though I'm not entirely sure it could redeem him! Click here to read more of my thoughts about this anime.

Runner Up - Yu from Tower Of God

Ship Of The Season

Shuichi Kagaya and Clair Aoki from Gleipnir are my ship of the season and the only reason I chose them over the runner up was just because I know that Fruits Basket is going into the next season so it wouldn't be fair for them to win ship of the season two seasons in a row. It also really helps that I think Shuichi and Clair are two halves of one person like I mentioned in the protagonists of the season section. They are the perfect definition of opposites attract and I love that whatever flaws the one has the other covers it. They're super protective of each other and something about the way they would die for one another and die without the other just speaks to the tragic bitch in my heart! I also love that they never judge each other for any of the decisions they make.

Runner Up - Kyoru from Fruits Basket


And with that I'll see you all in the Summer 2020 Season!

xoxo Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment