Friday, August 7, 2020

What Dramas Am I Watching This Week?

So here's what I'm watching this week! Of course the list is split by country and the amount of episodes I've seen so far are written below! There will be spoilers from now on so if you aren't caught to the episode number on list, you might want to go watch that episode and then come back! If you're interested in previous reviews, click here and if you want to see a list of my Favorite Asian OTPs and Ships, click here!

KDRAMA


Backstreet Rookie (14/16): Jung Saet Byul is a 22-year-old four-dimensional girl with amazing fighting skills who loves her friends, family, and retro fashion. She has the boys lined up but only has one person who keeps her distracted, Choi Dae Hyun. He became imprinted on her as an unforgettable person after a cigarette errand three years ago. Three years later, Jung Saet Byul meets Choi Dae Hyun again at his convenience store that he now manages and becomes a part-time worker. Here, Saet Byul and Dae Hyun’s love story begins as they heal the wounds of the heart, gain love, and become adults dreaming of the future. Their stories unfold into a pleasant comedy within the familiar sensibility of a convenience store.

So Dae Hyun confessed his feelings for Saet Byul this week which is a little crazy cause we literally had to wait until the penultimate week in order for the main couple in this show to get together though at the same time I still can't help but feel like Dae Hyun's love happened too quickly cause Dae Hyun was all about Yeon Joo three weeks ago. It also doesn't help that Yeon Joo is still playing games and trying to chase Dae Hyun even though she can clearly see he's not into her anymore. I'm also low key disappointed in Dae Hyun's mom for falling for Yeon Joo's tricks cause after everything she went through and everything she knows Yeon Joo put Dae Hyun through that she would have more of a backbone and keep Yeon Joo from convincing her of things. I don't doubt that Yeon Joo's plan is going to fail cause she's severely underestimating Saet Byul's strength but I don't love how easily she got in this position. In other news Eun Byul's problems were solved a lot easier than I expected with the help of conveniently filmed videos and a kind reporter who chose the truth over sensationalism and we said goodbye to Ji Wook too cause he's headed off to Hollywood after deciding that it's better to be in Saet Byul's life as a friend than nothing at all. Saet Byul also took her GED which she probably will pass but I'm not sure if she'll decide to do anything with it or stay at the convenience store cause this show is about this store so why end it with both Dae Hyun and Saet Byul leaving it.
Chip In/United Effort To Accomplish One Thing (6/8): A painter gets diagnosed terminally ill. On his 58th birthday, he plans to share his last will and testament. His great legacy and immense fortune slowly draw out his family's inner greed, causing a fierce mental battle amongst them. There are too many people around him who are only after his legacy; including his ex-wife, Ji Sul Young, who has taken care of him, Kim Ji Hye, a former mistress and mother to his daughter, and Dokko Chul, a son from a different father. They face different outcomes by the different choices they make as their greed overwhelms them. What are the limits of human greed?

When I first sat down to write down my thoughts on this week's episodes, I couldn't decide if I knew more or less at the end of this week than when I started cause of the way we keep getting small pieces of the puzzle but as I started to write this review I realized that we've actually pretty much got the whole story now! In Ho as it turns out is more and more horrible every time we learn more about him. He's been playing with this whole family as though they're pieces on his chess board starting all the way from 15 years ago. I was totally right in guessing that this whole thing was originally set-up by In Ho in order to figure out who was only interested in his money which is why Bit Na didn't get a letter since he knew she wasn't interested in his money and I'm assuming that he told Moon about it cause Moon was supposed to be his right hand man but what he didn't realize is that Moon hated him and was working with Seol Young so they switched the location of the will from the clock to the safe in the bedroom and painted the safe with fluorescent paint in order to frame the culprits later. We also learned that Hae Joon was being sketch cause 15 years ago he saw In Ho and Moon carry out his father's dead body and he wanted to find proof of what happened. This murder was the reason Moon did everything for In Ho and I'm assuming that In Ho set the whole thing up cause he found out that he was allergic to paint and needed a valid reason for Moon to give up his own career and work for In Ho. To get revenge Moon worked with Go Cheol to sell copies of the paintings as a side gig and came up with this elaborate plan to get rid of In Ho without doing it himself. The only thing we have left to figure out is who injected In Ho with nicotine and why In Ho wanted to meet with Bit Na the night of his death.
It's Okay To Not Be Okay (14/16): The story of a community health worker at a psychiatric ward who lives on 1.8 million won (approximately $1,520) a month and a storybook writer suffering from an antisocial personality disorder. A man who denies love and a woman who doesn’t know love defy fate and fall in love, finding their souls and identities in the process. Moon Kang Tae is a community health worker at a psychiatric ward who was blessed with everything including a great body, smarts, ability to sympathize with others, patience, ability to react quickly, stamina, and more. Meanwhile, Ko Moon Young is a popular writer of children’s literature, but she is extremely selfish, arrogant, and rude.

This week made me cry and cry and cry cause of how much Moon Young broke my heart. She finally found out that her mom was actually the one to kill Kang Tae and Sang Tae's mom and it shattered her. It's interesting cause at the start of this show we were basically told that Moon Young couldn't feel emotions but in actuality I think she probably just pushed her emotions down cause her mom who was the real psychopath wanted Moon Young to be just like her so Moon Young didn't know any better. When she found out how much her mom destroyed Kang Tae's life, the guilt overwhelmed her and I was crying right there with her but I loved how Kang Tae and Sang Tae rallied around her. Kang Tae refused to leave her side or listen to when the others told her that maybe they are ill-fated together and I was sobbing when Sang Tae was so worried about Moon Young though he didn't actually know what was happening and fed her. I can't wait to see the trio try to protect one another next week cause they are a family and they're so protective of each other. We also found out that the mom was actually the head nurse and not the patient and god it gave me chills to see her watch Moon Young and Kang Tae fall in love from the background and how she tried to control Moon Young quietly though Kang Tae was able to stop it. I'm not all that scared about her confrontation with Kang Tae cause the cops already know that she's the killer so I'm sure that they'll be able to stop her.

JDRAMA


FINISHED The Confidence Man JP: The Movie (1/1): Riu Ran is a member of the triad in Hong Kong. She is cold-blooded and appropriately called "Ice Princess." Ran possesses the best diamond in the world. Dako, Boku-chan, and Richard attempt to steal the diamond from Ran. Meanwhile, handsome conman Jessie also tries to get the diamond.

So if you remember back to 2018 that I absolutely adored The Confidence Man JP jdrama but I didn't realize until recently that the show actually had 2 movies and a special that were released after the drama ended though the second movie hasn't actually been subbed yet. As soon as I found out, I jumped right back into this world with pleasure cause you know how much I adore heist movies and shows! This one was fascinating cause it clearly had like twice the budget the show did cause the production was out-of-this-world but I also really loved the story. I loved that the movie looked at love cause there are conmen who are out for money but then there are the conmen who seduce their targets and the second is much much worse. I loved the idea of Dako's ex coming back and throwing a wrench into the mix but I will never forgive this show for baiting me with Dako and Boku possibly having a thing for each other cause you all remember how much I shipped them in the original drama! I loved the betrayals and twist at the end though I totally expected it cause duh our crew can't be outplayed but I was shocked to find out just how wide the net was in the con! Overall I had a blast and I'd definitely say check this movie out so I'd give it a 9 / 10!
FINISHED The Confidence Man JP: Special (1/1): How much of a role does luck play in a person's life? Some people believe you create your own luck. Kingpin Akutsu Akira relies only on himself to get what he wants. Dako gets a taste of her own medicine when Akutsu cheats her out of her own money to avenge his friend, a victim of Dako's scam. Will Dako give in to her fate? Can she recoup her losses this time?

I actually really liked that this special followed the movie I just watched with certain characters from that movie appearing in this special which was totally unexpected cause the budget was back to the usual amount for a regular drama episode so I originally didn't expect too much continuity! My favorite part of this world always ends up being the fact that what we see isn't actually all that there is so every time we think that our crew is down on their luck, in fact it's all part of the plan and we're totally and completely fine! It was super fun to spend almost 3/4 of the movie with our trio separated and looking as though they were terrible at cons on their own only for it to be that the trio had been following Dako's plan and it just so happened that we needed three separate scams to be run! As I said it was also nice to see Monoco again cause she's adorable and I will never not live for how the trio is able to take on the biggest bads and that nothing scares them cause the best thing about conning bad people is that they can't report it so we get away free. Overall I had a blast though I didn't love this special as much as the movie so I'd have to give it a 8.5 / 10!

    xoxo Allie

    No comments:

    Post a Comment