Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Percy Jackson Sea of Monsters Thoughts

Hi everyone!!! So I FINALLY got to see the Percy Jackson Sea of Monsters movie last night and let me just say, it was AMAZING!!! And this is coming from a fan of the books... actually I'd go with a series fanatic! Seriously. I've read the books like a hundred times!

Okay so first of all, I'm going to get this out of the way. The movie is like 60% accurate and that's just my opinion. If you ask most other book lovers, they'd probably give you a lower number. But I personally loved the movie. I didn't think it was too cheesy or had too much child-like humor although that may just be due to the fact that I'm a child at heart! If you haven't read the books or seen the first movie, I'd say you could still follow the movie pretty well. Now just a warning, this may contain spoilers for the movie so if you haven't seen it yet or read the books, skip to the last paragraph!

So I liked how they were much more accurate to the books in this movie. Annabeth's hair, Dionysus and the oracle!!! Oh god the oracle! She was soooo creepy but totally spot on! She looked exactly like how I pictured her look and voice to be! Dionysus's portrayal was PERFECT! I loved the way he got everyone's names wrong and pushed Percy to the side for Clarisse and talked down to the half-bloods! The humor in this movie was spot-on, the action scenes and much of the CGI looked great! I loved the ending with Thalia and I loved Hermes! Oh and Grover in a dress! EPIC! I was a little afraid we wouldn't be able to see that scene from the books but we DID! The subtle chemistry between Percy and Annabeth was present too! I also liked the scene in the stomach of the sea monster and the scene with the cave. I DIED when Percy and Annabeth were singing Its a Small World Afterall and Clarisse yells at them to shut up! The beginning flashback was also great because I feel like it really set up the story of Thalia and the camp barrier!

Saying all that, I have to mention that there were some scenes that annoyed me... The first would have to be Luke surfing on the wave that Percy rode. I mean Percy walking on water is a given but Luke? That didn't make much sense. Since when did he become a son of Poseidon?  The second scene I didn't like was the scene when Tyson fell over the cliff and "died" but then you found out that he could heal with water like Percy could and I really didn't think Cyclopes were able to do that... Also the fact that they made it a huge deal that Tyson was a son of Poseidon when all Cyclops are sons of Poseidon. The final thing I didn't like was Kronos and Percy fighting in the end. Kronos was NEVER resembled like that so it seemed kind of weird. I was literally sitting in the theater with a WTF look...

But overall I do think that this movie was fairly accurate to the books with just a few minor setting and plot changes. I really do think that they fixed most of the storyline problems from the Lightening Thief in this one! I'd definitely recommend going out and seeing it. I'd give it a 4 out of 5! Thanks for tuning it!!

xoxo Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment