Friday, July 20, 2018

What Dramas Am I Watching This Week?

Here's what I'm watching this week! Of course the list is split by country and episodes I've seen so far are written below! There will be spoilers from now on so if you aren't caught to the episode number I list, you might want to go watch that episode and then come back! If you're interested in previous lists, click here and if you want to see a list of my favorite asian OTPs and ships, click here!

KDRAMA


Are You Human Too? (24/36): The drama tells of an android called Nam Shin III who must pretend to be the son of a rich family when the real Nam Shin falls into a coma. Nam Shin's mother, Oh Ro Ra is a genius on brain technology and artificial intelligence (AI) so when her son, the real Nam Shin, is taken away from her at a young age, in her grief she creates an android that looks exactly like her son and has it grow up in the place of Nam Shin. But when Nam Shin, who is a third generation heir to PK group, gets in an accident and is comatose, the android Nam Shin III must learn how to take his place.

Nam Shin is finally awake and it's about time! I've really been enjoying Nam Shin III and So Bong bonding (cause that's pretty much everything that's been the best about this show since almost the start) but I was getting anxious for Shin to wake up. I love that he was smart enough to wake up but then pretend to still be asleep so he could figure out what exactly was going on. If he hadn't, everyone would just keep lying to him and poor Shin has dealt with enough honestly. I know that I'm supposed to view him as the villain right now cause he's being "mean" to his mom and Nam Shin III but honestly I see his side and when this show started I was just as disgusted as he was this week towards his mom for building Nam Shin I. I mean can you even imagine being in his shoes?? Like you grew up your whole life missing your mom and being surrounded by vultures who are just looking for a sign of weakness only to find out that your mom actually built a replacement for you and has been showering it with love. Like even if you put that into real world terms and you found out that your mom left you and made a new family and has been mostly happy with them, I would be bitter as hell.  Even Nam Shin III realizes it after he meets Shin and I'm hoping that he'll be able to explain it to the others so Shin doesn't go the villain route cause I do think Shin is a good guy at his core and it would be fun to see him and Nam Shin III work together to destroy the villains. At the same time I could see Shin and So Bong falling for each other and Nam Shin III going rogue cause he lost everyone he cared about based on the preview and Nam Shin III telling Shin that So Bong is his. Extra fun would be if David actually destroyed the kill switch and then it's like well shit now what to we do. But though I said that, I really don't think that will happen cause I feel like this show isn't going to go the trope-y route. I do wonder what a happy ending for this show will look like. Also I have to say it still is creepy as hell that So Bong is in love with Nam Shin III cause no matter how much he looks like a human, he's still a machine and I just can't wrap my head around falling in love with like my laptop who talks back to me.
FINISHED Circle: Two Connected Worlds (12/12): Taking place in both the present year 2017 and in the year 2037, when people believe that their future depends on humans controlling and regulating their emotions, this drama is a sci-fi mystery. When alien visitors arrive on Earth, humans learn new skills from them and take advantage of them; what ensues is a story of alliance, resistance, and love.

What an incredible show you guys! This would have never been my cup of tea normally but I wanted something different after watching a bunch of rom coms that just didn't work for me cause this show though set in a dystopian world (which is my preferred book genre) was marketed to have no romance in it which made me slightly hesitant but as I said in my post last week, I fell in love with this show. I finished it this week and let me tell you there was not a single moment in these 12 episodes in which I was bored or the show dragged. This show did a great job at asking the question what is humanity and do memories make a person? There were moments where you could see the villain's side and where they were coming from and made me question if they might be right in a sense. The reveals were incredibly well written and though I guessed what had happened to future Woo-Jin, I didn't predict that he was a clone or that Park was the Chairman cause I totally thought it was either Han or the father of the twins. I loved how everyone worked together to take down Human B and that Joon-Hyuk struggled with deciding if Woo-Jin was really his brother or not while Jung-Yeon believed it right away cause it dealt with their ideas of what makes a person a person. It was heartbreaking when the twins finally hugged and I loved how the show ended with Park who had lost his mind (a long time ago if we're being honest) dying while trying to save the cube. The romance between Woo-Jin and Jung-Yeon was also really well written and very believable even though I kind of wished that they had a real moment at the end other than just hinting heavily about how they felt. Other than that, the only thing that I was a bit disappointed in was that we never got a real conclusion to Jung-Yeon being an alien or really anything with aliens other than in the final moment of the show which makes me wonder if there's a possible season 2 in the works. I'd give this show a 9.5 / 10 for sure! Definitely check it out if you can!
FINISHED Come And Hug Me (32/32): A man and a woman suffers from wounded hearts due to a murder case that took place in their past. The man is a detective and the woman is a popular actress. When Do-Jin and Jae-Yi were high school students, they were each other's first love. Do-Jin's father Hee-Jae was a psychopath and killed Jae-Yi's parents. Do-Jin and Jae-Yi were separated afterwards. Now Do-Jin works as a detective. He treats the victim's family with care. This is his way of atoning for his father's horrific act. Meanwhile, Jae-Yi works as an actress. She followed in the footsteps of her late mother who was a famous actress. Since her parents' deaths, Jae-Yi has suffered from post-traumatic stress disorder. Do-Jin and Jae-Yi meet again.

I want to say that I really enjoyed this show but I just can't. Something about it just didn't work for me. When the show started it was really interesting and I was looking forward to what the show would bring but as it went on, it began to drag and it felt like nothing would happen for weeks. I'm not sure if releasing Hee-Jae earlier would have helped at all but maybe it would have. I guess part of my problem is that though I love the idea of Jae-Yi and Do-Jin still being in love and saying who cares what the world thinks cause we're in love and deserve to be happy, I just felt like their interactions weren't enough. Like Do-Jin barely speaks around her and she spends most of it acting cutesy to make him feel better and hide her pain. At the start of the first episode this week I actually did wonder if the show would end with them breaking up cause no matter how many times Jae-Yi says that she doesn't blame Do-Jin, her actions make me feel the opposite. Idk it's just a feeling. I was surprised with how much I started to like Hyun-Moon though cause he started out an asshole and by the end I wasn't in love with him but I did start feeling some affection. I still don't entirely understand why Hee-Jae isn't on death row or locked up forever cause if there's any criminal that deserves that punishment it's him. Like I still don't know why he was allowed to be out and about in the world or even be able to sue someone. I did like the ending though and how despite everything Hee-Jae tried, Do-Jin was just not him. I liked that the reporter lady was a good person like I felt she was and the article she wrote sounded really sweet. I'm even glad the detective who didn't like Do-Jin got over it though it felt out of nowhere (both his turns.) Overall I'd give this show a 7.5 / 10.
FINISHED Handsome Guy and Jung Eum/The Undateables (32/32): Hoon-Nam knows about love theoretically, but he rejects falling in love. Jung-Eum wants to fall in love, but, due to her difficult situation, she gives up on finding love. Hoon-Nam and Jung-Eum meet and develop a relationship romantically.

We seem to have ended this show on a pretty high note though it did feel a bit rushed. I'm pretty sure that's cause somehow in the middle we lost our way and went down a weird detour so by the time we got back, it felt a bit rushed. Anyway I really enjoyed that the last undateable that we hooked up had such an adorable relationship and I loved that it was all about accepting the other person exactly the way he/she is. She thought his crazy outfits were hot and he didn't mind that she was taller than him. I also really liked that we found out again what a good guy Hoon-Nam is. Not only did he find her phone and return it but he was also the reason that her asshole ex sent a nice breakup text. It seemed a bit silly for Jung-Eum to be pissed at him for lying about being at the airport but like when's a good time to bring that up anyway? Hey I'm Hoon-Nam and also I saw you during your awful breakup. Honestly I was surprised that she wasn't more touched that he saw all that and yet he still likes her! Also adorable was Coach and Yook Ryong who I definitely warmed to as the season went on. He started out as such an asshole but after their breakup watching him mope around and miss her and wear that scarf no matter how uncomfortable he was melted my heart and I was glad they ended up back together. This show had it's ups and it's down but I think overall I did enjoy watching it so I'd give it a 7.5 / 10.
FINISHED Investigation Couple/Partners For Justice (32/32): Baek Beom has worked as a forensic doctor for 10 years. He has a bad personality, but he is excellent with his work. Baek Beom does not open his mind to other people. Eun Sol is a rookie prosecutor with a warm heart. She has a bright personality and she comes from wealth family background. The forensic doctor and prosecutor work together to solve case.

So this show ended without an end and that's interesting cause I guess that means this show will have another season? I'm not sure it needed on to be honest and I'm not sure this is the show out of all the ones that I've watched that should have gotten a sequel. The serial murder case ended this week and like I expected it wasn't whoever the new prosecutor thought it would be. He was way too "one-track mind" for me to believe that he read the case right especially since we know the NFS basically knows everything and when you disagree with them, you're going to be the one to look wrong. It was a fun twist that the detective in charge was actually the killer and that they caught him cause of modern tech. It's crazy watching these kinds of police shows cause you never do think about how much harder it is to do a crime and get away with it in the current age of security cameras and internet. It's even harder in Korea cause they have dashboard cams and everything. The last case was the first guy that Eun Sol investigated and I hardcore didn't recognize him until someone in the comments mentioned who he was. I liked how quickly they were able to find that he killed the girl and I'm so very sure that he's not dead and just faked his death. Overall I thought this show was fun if you ignore some of the outlandish moments and the fact that the NFS was more competent at solving murders than basically any of the detectives or prosecutors. Speaking of prosecutors, I did eventually grow to like the new prosecutor this week so I'm disappointed that we only got a little from him. I wasn't really into the romance between Stella and the detective so I was kind of meh about that but I was thrilled that Eun Sol and Baek Beom didn't end up together. Overall I'd give this show a 7.5 / 10.
FINISHED Mad Dog (16/16): The drama portrays the reality of Korea through diverse insurance crimes that are prevalent in the country. There are the 'copy cats' that imitate and improve the existing crimes, and the 'mad dogs' who catch these bad cats.

I started this show with pretty much no expectations except for the fact that Woo Do Hwan and Ryu Hwa Young were in it. After watching so many romantic comedies that I felt meh about I wanted something different and so I went into this show with no idea what it would be about and sometimes that's the best way to get into a show cause I freaking adored every single moment!!!! To my pleasant surprise this turned out to be kind of a con man show in that the characters played different roles to get the job done and you know how much I love those kinds of shows! I loved that the whole plot was about one plane crash and not a bunch of cases like I first thought when the first two episodes aired cause it made it was personal for our cast (see what an end goal can do for a show?) Woo Do Hwan played a perfect mischievous con man and I was living whenever he played our crew or said/did something to fluster them but the best part was his chemistry with Ryu Hwa Young and their extremely flirty relationship. Though Min Joon and Ha Ri didn't actually kiss on screen, some of their moments were even hotter and based on how the show ended I feel as though they're probs together. What really sold me on the show was the relationships between the Mad Dog crew. They were extremely loyal to each other and I loved that over the season Min Joon was adopted into their little family. Watching the others secretly ship Min Joon and Ha Ri was hilarious in it's own right. The villains in this show were amazing too cause they were so cunning and even straight up evil in some cases. I was a little sketchy on why the Insurance company was so involved in the whole thing cause like they didn't get anything out of lying about the faulty plane and in fact they lost a hell of a lot of money for it. Despite that I really enjoyed this show and I'd give it a 10 / 10!
FINISHED Miss Hammurabi (16/16): Park Cha Oh-Reum works as a rookie judge. She is in her mid-20's and follows "an eye for an eye" principle. She does not accept prejudice or blindly follow authority. Dealing with cases, she and her colleagues, including Im Ba-Reun, grow as people.

What a great ending for a great show! I loved that we were able to end on a positive and hopeful note and with the possibility of change on the horizon. Older judges were able to see that maybe their way of thinking has become a bit outdated and that it is maybe time for them to step aside and allow the younger judges to lead the way. I always dislike when people claim someone is being disrespectful or rebellious whenever they disagree with each other so I was glad that the show was able to show that is not the case in most instances. I loved that the annoying judge was disciplined cause he was just straight up a monster. Throwing fits and trying to get revenge let alone abusing his coworkers is not a way for a judge to act. It drives me crazy when people in power use that power just to make others feel bad. A person is in a leadership position to guide those under them not use them whenever they feel like. I was a bit disappointed that we didn't actually get a disciplinary hearing for Oh-Reum cause I thought that might be fun but I did like the jury case we got and even though the verdict seemed clear as day to me (I mean seriously he was beating her half to death so of course it was self defense) I was glad that the juror that we all assumed was a terrible guy actually led the charge on her innocence proving once again what this show portrayed that not everything is black and white. I am a little sad that Judge Han resigned because I loved our team but it makes sense why he did. It was also a little weird that we never discussed Oh-Reum and Ba-Reun's romantic relationship again after their kiss last week. Despite that, overall I really enjoyed this show and the message it tried to showcase though I did have my struggles with it here and there. I'd give this show a 8 / 10! Definitely check it out!
FINISHED Strongest Deliveryman (16/16): Choi Kang Soo is a deliveryman. In spite of his humble beginnings, Choi Kang Soo is fearless and gives it all in everything he does. Lee Dan Ah is another delivery worker. She hates her current socioeconomic status so much that she, like many young people, calls her country “Hell Joseon.” Lee Dan Ah is so focused on making money and changing her life that she has no time for men. But when she comes across the charming Choi Kang Soo, her attitude is due to be moved.Together, Choi Kang Soo and Lee Dan Ah have a budding competition and romance in their quest for glory. And, for them, glory means being like rich folk Lee Jin Yoon and Oh Jin Gyu. They compete to conquer life but, as our two delivery workers soon learn, being the strongest does not guarantee success.

I heard that the showrunners for this show were the same as the showrunners for Your House Helper and I can totally see it throughout. I decided to check this show out because I've been enjoying Your House Helper and I figured why not. Overall I think I definitely enjoyed this show but there were moments towards the end that felt a bit rushed as if the writers were like oh crap we need to wrap this up and fast. I did enjoy all the characters in this show especially the delivery men army that Kang Soo had and I enjoyed that there was an ultimate goal that our crew was trying to obtain while at the same time giving us plenty of episodes to just enjoy characters being themselves. Dan Ah and Kang Soo were adorable but I have to have Jin Yoon and Jin Gyu were definitely my favorite couple which is why when they basically disappeared off the show by the latter half I was disappointed. The ending seemed to wrap up a little too nicely but I can let that slide. I really enjoyed this world cause it's one that I've never really explored in a show or a movie let alone a drama so it was new and refreshing. I'm always down for more cooking shows so I was on board! I'd definitely give this show a 8 / 10!
What's Wrong With Secretary Kim (14/16): What's Wrong With Secretary Kim revolves around the narcissistic Lee Young Joon, the vice president of a company run by his family. He is very self absorbed and thinks highly of himself, so much so that he barely acknowledges the people around him. Lee Young Joon has a capable and patient secretary in Kim Mi So who has remained by his side and worked diligently for 9 years without any romantic involvement. But Mi So has grown tired of her frustrating boss so when she decides to resign from her job, hilarious misunderstandings ensue. After 9 years of their strictly-workplace relationship, can it now develop in something more?

This week was an interesting one cause I wasn't the biggest fan of the first episode this week cause it felt like Young Joon really was bulldozing her and that Mi So only slept with him cause she was guilted into it between Young Joon and Se Ra. Like girl it's fine if you don't want to do something yet! I was also totally confused about why she wanted to hide their relationship cause she was supposed to quit anyway so there's no office problem and his parents love her and her sisters like him but when their relationship was revealed this week, I realized I totally forgot about how people are assholes and of course they would automatically start gossiping about how she slept her way to the top cause heaven forbid a woman is good at what she does. I'm not sure how I feel about Mi So no longer quitting cause though when the show started I was like but Mi So seems to be the best at her job and really enjoy it even if she complains sometimes, there were no real signs of her feeling this way until now and it makes me wonder if she's doing it just cause her job is comfortable and leaving it would be hard. Since next week is the finale for this show (and I'm really sad cause I'm definitely going to miss it) I feel like to be honest this probably won't be an issue cause the show needs to wrap up. I wonder if they actually will get married and if they do wouldn't it be weird to have his secretary be his wife? On another note Se Ra and Yang are still adorable as hell and I like that Ji Ah and her guy are slowly falling for each other though it feels kind of abrupt for Mr Go to be into her since we got hints that she was falling for him but nothing from him until now he's suddenly a little awkward around her. He did open up to her about his life earlier so maybe that was the sign that he was comfortable enough around her to tell her what he told no one else (and by following her around for so long.)
FINISHED Wok Of Love/Greasy Melo (38/38): Set at a small Chinese restaurant. Drama series follows Seo Poong's attempts at survival, food and love. Chef Seo Poong was once a star chef and worked at the best Chinese restaurant. His popularity faded and he eventually wound up working at a small, failing Chinese restaurant. Meanwhile, Doo Chil-Seong is the owner of a building. He is an ex-gang member and he was in jail for 5 years.

What an amazing final episode to go out on. In fact it was so good that I kept wavering back and forth about what I wanted to score this show cause I'm sure you know if you've been reading my reviews that this show when it's good is good but when it's bad it's real bad. I've never been a fan of rich people looking down on poor people and it's one of the reasons I'm not the biggest fan of rich man/poor woman stories cause damn it all money isn't everything. It was especially annoying in this show cause Sae-Woo's mom was especially whiny and shouldn't have been throwing Poong under the bus when he basically saved all of them from poverty and if her example of a good man was the one who left Sae-Woo at the alter just cause she lost her riches. But let's not talk about that anymore cause it gets me really annoyed. Let's focus on the positives like how adorable Sae-Woo and Poong were in this show and how amazing the cooking aspect was and how much I adored the humor. My favorite scene maybe all season was the one in Noodle Part's room when Sae-Woo and Poong were flirting on top of Cutting Part who was attempting to chaperone. Ugh Junho is so good at playing the romantic and flirty and honestly he was just so sexy whenever he was in the kitchen alone with Sae-Woo. I love that they flirt while cooking and that they both love it so much. And of course the kisses were amazing! I adored this show when we didn't have to focus on Sae-Woo's terrible family and I'm glad I watched it. Even though I wavered between whether I wanted to give this show a 8.5 or a 9, I ended up deciding to go with a 8.5 / 10.
Your House Helper (12/32): The daily life of an average working woman involves: a packed subway during the rush hours, a miserable old boss, juniors clawing their way up, mounting credit card debt, and a rusty and tired body... And above all, the worst is the endless housekeeping work that awaits her at home. But what if a handsome guy appears and takes care of all the housekeeping work for her? And not only that, what if he solves the problems in her complicated and confused life? In this drama, a male house helper does housekeeping works in different women's houses and tries to solve their issues.

This week was Ji-Woon's backstory time and I was actually pretty surprised that they revealed so much so soon cause I really thought he'd be more of a mystery until later while we got to know the girls right now. A couple of episodes ago the guy who owns the bar (does he have a name cause the wiki doesn't seem to say so) told a few women that Ji-Woon was dumped by some girl and all he wanted was an answer to why that was and we kind of saw that this week and at first I wasn't sure if that was the case or if the woman who left was his mom and that the story we heard was the bar guy's afterall but then Ji-Woon actually told Da-Yeong about his parents and when they died so I think he actually was ghosted by his girlfriend. I feel like he's probs moving forward cause he put the book away and everything so symbolism or whatever. I'm sure though in true drama style as soon as he and Da-Yeong get together, the ex will come back. Speaking of, I will never get tired of seeing how worried Ji-Woon gets about Da-Yeong and how he seems to only open up to her cause I'm totally about them. I feel like he sees something in her that he has too and that's why they connect. I loved the birthday party they had for Ji-Woon though the drunk kiss trope isn't my favorite cause next week we'll have to go through the whole he doesn't remember and she's super awkward around him. I'm also about Sang Ah and Jin Kook who are hilarious cause he's all flustered trying to impress her and she's all flustered cause she's trying to act rich and both of them are so confused. We also got a bit about So Mi and I'm pretty sure now that the brother she's so afraid of assaulted her somehow. I also  want to give props to this show for actually making Cheol Soo gay and not just hinting at it cause the only time kdramas talk about people being gay is if it's done as a joke and so it was refreshing that wasn't true here.

CDRAMA


Legend of Fu Yao (38/66): Meng Fu Yao, a woman born from a divine lotus petal. She journeys through the five continents towards the heavens in search of a secret order and to reveal a conspiracy originating from the heavens. In the process, she falls in love with the crown prince Zhangsun Wuji.

We're more than halfway through this show now and I'm still a little confused because we seem to be taking a lot of weird detours rather than following what I assumed to be the main plot of this show. Like we just now got through two kingdoms (Taiyuan and Tianquan) but while Fu Yao lifted the first part of her spell in Taiyuan, I don't think she spent enough time in Tianquan to have the time to lift the spell so unless she somehow is able to do it in Yao City, I'm confused cause I really thought that was the plot of this show. I super don't care about this war in the city and I don't see how it means anything other than filler. Fu Yao herself doesn't even think about the curse she's under and I just want the show to refocus on that. I'm also super glad that the whole lying thing is finally over cause I didn't mind it in Taiyuan cause Fu Yao knew that he was lying but in the Imperial City, I got uncomfortable with the lies cause not only was he lying about who he was but he was lying about being engaged which by the way was resolved really easily and I'm dying cause I thought it would have been a bigger deal. Honestly what's really keeping me in this show is the chemistry between Fu Yao and Wu Ji. I adore every moment they're on screen together and you can practically feel the love they have for each other. I'm also glad that Lan Zhu is back cause I missed her and I hope this means that Bei Ye will be back soon too.
Legend of Yun Xi (24/48): Han Yun Xi is the daughter of an imperial physician who lost her mother when young, but maintains a cheerful and optimistic disposition. Yun Xi is naturally talented in medical science and proficient in traditional medicine, but suffers from the jealousy and avoidance of others. By a stroke of fate, she marries the Duke of Qin, Long Fei Ye, and becomes embroiled in the changing politics of the imperial court. Yun Xi relies on her high-level medical skills, wise, far-sighted brain, and compassionate heart to expel the poisons of a great official, get rid of secret agents for the Duke of Qin, eliminate the plague for the common citizens, and cure the crown prince’s strange illness. Yun Xi’s kindness as a doctor not only earns her the appreciation of the masses, but helps the Duke of Qin overcome many nefarious plots, including the rebellion of the Chu siblings. After a series of unfortunate accidents, her medical skills grow even more unparalleled and she even gains the admiration and adoration of the Duke of Qin. Both of them take fame lightly in favor of digging into the medical field. In the end, they leave the clamor of court intrigue behind them and go in seclusion in the mountains, living a happy life free from worldly cares.

We're about halfway through this show now and I'm super not thrilled with the introduction of a second female lead cause I'm so tired of watching pretty smart girls demean themselves to get the attention of a guy that's not interested in them. I was so enjoying that there wasn't one in this show yet but now that we've got one it's irritating me especially since we're supposed to feel bad for her cause she's practically killing herself to help Fei Ye but just cause she's sacrificing something doesn't mean that she deserves his love. It's like the epitome of the friend zone thing guys say. Oh I was nice to you so you have to date me. Ugh. I was really enjoying Fei Ye and Yun Xi getting closer this week as well. I loved how worried he is whenever she's in pain and their kisses are amazing! His face when she told him she liked him was everything! I also really enjoyed that Fei Ye went to Yun Xi's home with her cause he put her family in their place but that pretty much went to shit a few episodes later cause he kicked her out of the home and really publicly too which was unfortunate. I still don't particularly understand the marriage customs in this world cause there was no wedding ceremony and now there was no divorce papers or anything. Literally do you just have to live in the house of a guy to be married to him? Again I don't like the noble sacrifice thing and I was so pissed that for episodes on episodes they tried to hide what was going on from Yun Xi which was irritating cause half the problems they went through could have been resolved if she knew the truth! I did like the reveal that Yun Xi's mom was the one to save Fei Ye and honestly I'm glad she found out the truth of her mom's death cause it was getting annoying how much the Dowager was playing her. Speaking of being played, Fei Ye's mother is an idiot too isn't she? On word from the second female lead and she's ready to murder Yun Xi even though if she even bothered to ask one other person she'd know the truth. Her smug face as Yun Xi left was so irritating. Also Qi Shao also needs to take a step back. Yun Xi is a married woman and even though he doesn't super care, he needs to respect boundaries especially since she hasn't shown any interest in him other than being a friend. It's also driving me crazy that no one's told Yun Xi that Qi Shao is not on their side. She keeps going to him as a friend and revealing things about Fei Ye that Qi Shao later uses against him and I can't stand it!!
Meteor Garden (12/48): An ordinary girl is admitted to the most prestigious school in the country where she encounters F4, an exclusive group comprised of the four wealthiest and handsomest boys in the school - Dao Ming Si, Hua Ze Lei, Xi Men and Mei Zuo.

So I wasn't sure I wanted to check out this show at first cause I had already seen Hana Yori Dango (the Japanese version of this show) and I'm usually not a huge fan of remakes cause there's so many new shows out there that I haven't watched so why watch the same one again? But then I saw it pop up on Netflix as being subbed weekly and I got curious enough to check it out and I'm really enjoying it so far. I'm only at the very beginning of this show but I think that this might be a better version than the Japanese version for one simple reason: it's more realistic. A struggle I had with Hana Yori Dango was how completely outlandish most of the stuff happening was. By aging up the characters to college age, not only is fresh cause there aren't enough dramas set in that time period but it allows a lot of the characters act a lot more mature. The bullying is more realistic as is the awkward relationship between Shan Cai and Si. Speaking of, Si is great here too cause he's just a bit dim and a tiny bit socially awkward instead of being an asshole like before. I'm also loving that there's 48 episodes instead of 10 cause then the romance can be played out slower and major events take longer to play out. Also sidebar but Wang He Di is honestly such a cutie and I was surprised that the show actually cast a 19 year old to play a college student when normally shows cast like 27 year olds to play high school students (I love you School 2017 but I'm looking at you for this.) The one thing I'm not the biggest fan of is how the Shan Cai and Lei relationship is playing out. I don't really like that Lei broke bro code and literally kissed the girl Si was into. I know that Shan Cai says she doesn't like Si and just cause Si likes her doesn't mean that she should like him but it would be one thing if Lei liked her too but he's actually just using her to get over Jing and get back at Si for breaking his toy when they were young. It's honestly rude as shit of Lei to do what he did and I hate that everyone was acting like Si was the bad friend. Anyway, if you loved Hana Yori Dango or if you thought the concept was fun but the older versions were too animated, this show might be for you!!
DROPPED Sweet Dreams (26/45): Ling Ling Qi is a sincere, kind girl who's always happy to lend a hand to others, but she also has low self-esteem, which has severely impacted her life, making her unable to do her best at work and fulfill her dreams. She's also afraid to express her feelings for her colleague that she's been harboring a crush on, Bo Hai. One day, Ling Ling Qi and Bo Hai take part ina company's high tech experimental bracelet test to improve sleeping patterns. During the test, the bracelet malfunctions, leading Ling Ling Qi's electro brain waves to be keyed into Bo Hai's dream sequence, which allowed Ling Ling Qi to enter Bo Hai's dreams. Drama focuses on how the two characters help each other fix their own personal problems within their dreams and real lives.

I think I've decided what my problem with this show is and that is the fact that this show has no overall plot to follow. I feel like this show has no idea what it wants to do with itself or what it's goal is. The plot seems to jump around to random moments and characters make weird decisions for no reason. Maybe I'm supposed to enjoy this slice of life drama but I've never been a huge fan of shows where there is no progression from a to b. I suppose that the main progression is supposed to be Qi Qi and Bo Hai falling in love but when there's literally no goal in sight that we're attempting to get to, it's a struggle for me to connect to a show. Qi Qi confessed to Bo Hai this week and for episodes he was really happy about it and super into her too but he refused to talk about it or let her know that he felt the same way. Instead he gets all grrr possessive and jealous of the guys around her. Like dude how old are you? This is acceptable behavior for a high school student not a grown ass adult. There's literally nothing stopping you from being in a relationship with Qi Qi but you're going to pretend like there is anyway? Unfortunately no amount of adoring Deng Lun can save this show for me and I'm going to have to drop it cause otherwise I'm just watching this show in fast forward mode and that's no fun.

TWDRAMA


FINISHED Single Ladies Senior (15/15): Four best friends from college are finding success as modern career women. Wang Mi Na, Yin Ge Li, Weng Mei Yan and Bai Ya Xuan are considered princesses in a tower because of their focus on their work and careers. But as they each face their own challenges of career vs. relationship, must they make a choice or can they have both?

So yeah this show happened. I'm really annoyed at myself for watching it until the end and not dropping it cause there was never really a moment where I was super into this show. There were bits here and there that I enjoyed but as an overall show, I was disappointed in it and I do no think I'd rewatch this show if I had the chance. A large part of this is due to the fact that I never liked He Fan and I should have known from the first episode that this show wouldn't be for me cause a show like this where romance is a major component won't work if you don't like the main couple. I am glad in a way that Mi Na didn't pick He Fan but at the same time the show gave off a vibe that though they're not together now they will in the future and I'm just not a fan of that. I still think she should have picked Shao Qi. On the other hand I was thrilled that the four friends were friends again and that Ge Li is able to get her happy ending. She deserves real love and though I don't think I could have done what she did in trying to force a guy to be mine, she still suffered for so long. I think it's a bit of a copout that Tian Yu didn't actually cheat on Bai but I was glad that they ended up together again cause like I said there's something so sweet about them. Overall I'd give this show a 5 / 10. Honestly skip this show unless you really enjoy the main couple.

xoxo Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment