Friday, July 6, 2018

What Dramas Am I Watching This Week?

Here's what I'm watching this week! Of course the list is split by country and episodes I've seen so far are written below! There will be spoilers from now on so if you aren't caught to the episode number I list, you might want to go watch that episode and then come back! If you're interested in previous lists, click here and if you want to see a list of my favorite asian OTPs and ships, click here!

KDRAMA


About Time (14/16): Choi Michaela is a musical actress. She has a special ability to see the lifespan clocks of other people. She meets a man who can stop her time and he falls in love with her.

I said last week that this show is a little boring and after this week I still feel the same though there are moments that I still enjoy. Mi-Ka singing is one of those and man oh man do I wish that the musical played a larger role in this show. My bae is still around and looking as amazing as ever although he still has had basically nothing to do and no plotline other than writing music here or fighting there. Being the bff to Do-Ha's ex was still a highlight for me. Ugh he's so attractive. Other than that there was some evil plotting by Do-Ha's dad and Soo-Bong who has reached even higher levels of insanity this week. After threatening him didn't work she's attempting to kill herself but I'm almost 100% sure that won't happen. I will never understand why in these dramas there are always the second female lead who are beautiful and smart and strong in their own right but then bend over backwards to possess the guy they're into. Like girl move on he's just not that into you. It was interesting seeing Do-Ha put it all together this week (took them long enough tbh) and their kiss was sweet though I have to say my favorite part of this episode was the nonchalant gasp the secretary gave when he walked in on Do-Ha buttoned up his shirt. I'm kind of loving that Do-Ha is like whatever you want to make you happy I'll do but at the same time we're basically dating except we can't be next to each other so it's like a version of long distance dating. Next week is the finale and I'm sad to say but I'm kind of glad cause this show was hella boring and I can't believe I forced myself to sit through all 16 episodes. It's such a shame cause TVN dramas are usually some of my favorites.
Are You Human Too? (16/36): The drama tells of an android called Nam Shin III who must pretend to be the son of a rich family when the real Nam Shin falls into a coma. Nam Shin's mother, Oh Ro Ra is a genius on brain technology and artificial intelligence (AI) so when her son, the real Nam Shin, is taken away from her at a young age, in her grief she creates an android that looks exactly like her son and has it grow up in the place of Nam Shin. But when Nam Shin, who is a third generation heir to PK group, gets in an accident and is comatose, the android Nam Shin III must learn how to take his place.

I keep going back and forth about whether this show makes me uncomfortable or not but like at the same time I adore this show. It's so confusing tbh. I hate the idea of humans falling in love with robots but Kang Joon and Seung Yeon have so much damn chemistry that even though I try to force myself not to ship her with the robot, I do it anyway. All their scenes are so adorable from when he said that protecting her is his priority to when he rendered that image of her in a wedding dress to asking her what she would do if he was human to showing her pictures of herself as he sees her. I can't decide if I think the problem is the writing or Kang Joon's acting choices cause the show keeps telling us over and over that Nam Shin III has no emotions but straight up he does. He acts flirty and cutesy and protective and jealous. It's kind of ridiculous cause I keep comparing him to Aji-3 from I'm Not A Robot and Aji-3 gained knowledge on humans and acted more humanlike eventually but still looked/acted like a robot while Nam Shin III acts way too human for my taste. And it's weird as hell that So Bong is the only person who interacts with him and sees him as human. I feel like it's done to make So Bong seem more human but all it does it make everyone else look more despicable like Nam Shin's mom who should have more affection for a robot after owning him for 20 years. Like dude I'm attached to my cell phone and laptop more than she is to a machine that talks to her. I'm really curious about how this show will end cause I can see multiple endings based on my knowledge of dramas. Either Nam Shin will die and Nam Shin III's brain will be transferred into his body making him kind of a cyborg with a human body and a robot brain or Nam Shin wakes up and Nam Shin III's memories will be transferred into him using some sort of tech. In both cases So Bong and Nam Shin III can still be together in a sense. There's also a possibility that Nam Shin will wake up, Nam Shin III is shut down or broken and Nam Shin and So Bong fall for each other on their own, mirroring an amnesia story or something. The only problem with this last option is that we're more than halfway through the season so it might not feel real cause we spent most of the season watching a robot and a human fall in love though if I compare it to Oh My Ghostess with three episodes left of the show they were able to show us that the chef and Bong-Sun were into each other even though the chef technically spent all his time with the ghost.
Come And Hug Me (24/32): A man and a woman suffers from wounded hearts due to a murder case that took place in their past. The man is a detective and the woman is a popular actress. When Do-Jin and Jae-Yi were high school students, they were each other's first love. Do-Jin's father Hee-Jae was a psychopath and killed Jae-Yi's parents. Do-Jin and Jae-Yi were separated afterwards. Now Do-Jin works as a detective. He treats the victim's family with care. This is his way of atoning for his father's horrific act. Meanwhile, Jae-Yi works as an actress. She followed in the footsteps of her late mother who was a famous actress. Since her parents' deaths, Jae-Yi has suffered from post-traumatic stress disorder. Do-Jin and Jae-Yi meet again.

This week's episodes were a lot of fun cause I'm living for Jae-Yi and Do-Jin being like eff the world let's be happy. Their date last week was cute but what really melted my heart was when Do-Jin ran back to her and told her how he felt and how he always feels bad being around her but at the same time misses her when she's not around. It was so sweet and I'm glad that it was followed by a super romantic kiss and then they spent the night together which was even more precious. I love that she was a ball of sunshine the next day and he was so badass in his response to all those reporters. Do-Jin being jealous was adorable as well and I'm loving that the bitchy actress from early on has become one of Jae-Yi's closest friends! I'm just sad that one of Do-Jin's coworkers hates him and I want to believe that he is playing double agent but I'm pretty sure that's not the case though now that the reporter is dead, why would he even try? On the plus side we do have evidence that Do-Jin's brother isn't the one murdering but I'm confused as to why the cop is hiding evidence. Like I know you're afraid/dislike Do-Jin but evidence of a murder is kind of important. On the same note I don't know why Do-Jin's brother won't bring forth the evidence he has of the reporter being murdered. Like I know that he'll get charged with accessory or something but still that's better than a murder charge. Also it's still so satisfying that the awful reporter was murdered but I feel like the new one we just met will probs take the place of being the worst. I also kind of viciously loved that Hee-Jae say Do-Jin being friendly to that detective (I was really hoping they would hug and really ruin his day) and that Jae-Yi's brother saw Do-Jin and Jae-Yi being adorable as well. It does seem counterproductive to tell Do-Jin to stay away now cause regardless of if he never saw her again, Hee-Jae would still want her dead so it's better she's constantly around a cop who'd give his life for hers but I can sort of see where he's coming from. And of course Hee-Jae broke out like honestly who didn't see that coming. As soon as I found out he's still alive in the present day it was only a matter of time.
Handsome Guy and Jung Eum/The Undateables (24/32): Hoon-Nam knows about love theoretically, but he rejects falling in love. Jung-Eum wants to fall in love, but, due to her difficult situation, she gives up on finding love. Hoon-Nam and Jung-Eum meet and develop a relationship romantically.

Okay so I pretty much take back all the stuff I said last week cause I was feeling bitter about the breakup! This show has it's flaws and it's pitfalls but honestly I just adore Hoon-Nam and Jung-Eum when they're together that I can mostly tune the rest out. I'm not going to lie, the first two episodes I watched this week I pretty much fast forwarded through all the nonsense leaving me to watch like five minutes total of these episodes. I'm sorry but I just could not with the lame breakup stuff anymore. The bet came out of nowhere to give us a cheesy breakup reason, Yook Ryong told Coach Yang even though he knew she was bffs with Jung-Eum, Hoon-Nam refused to explain what happened or why the bet occurred when she gave him the chance and then he couldn't even tell her he loved her when that was clearly what she wanted to hear. It was weird to me that as soon as he did tell her he loved her that she forgave him right away. I guess it makes sense in a way cause why would she bother giving him a second chance unless he has some real feelings for her. After that I was giggling throughout the next two episodes again. I just adore how relationship guru Hoon-Nam becomes a bumbling idiot around Jung-Eum. It was sweet that Hoon-Nam rushed out to find Jung-Eum when he thought she was hurt and I loved that they both told each other their deepest traumas. I almost forgot that Jung-Eum had a trauma of water cause the show barely ever touched on it and I'm kind of hoping now that we're done with the breakup drama (please please tell me that's true) that we'll focus on hooking up the last of the undateables and then work on her trauma maybe! I do hope that Hoon-Nam's stepmom won't be a problem cause he's literally never seriously dated before so if he tells her that he loves Jung-Eum, hopefully she'll believe him and not get in the way. I also really loved that Susie isn't the normal second lead type of girl where she tries to force a guy who's not interested in her to be into her and decided after he said no for the second time to move along.
Investigation Couple/Partners For Justice (24/32): Baek Beom has worked as a forensic doctor for 10 years. He has a bad personality, but he is excellent with his work. Baek Beom does not open his mind to other people. Eun Sol is a rookie prosecutor with a warm heart. She has a bright personality and she comes from wealth family background. The forensic doctor and prosecutor work together to solve case.

This week's episodes were a mixed bag because we got the conclusion to last week's case and then a new case. As you probs know if you read my thoughts on last week, I was super not into the case with Prosecutor Kang's investigator that was linked to his brother. Kang was acting like a crazy person last week and way beyond unprofessional but this week he was much calmer and it was real weird cause it made no sense for his character to act the way he did. I feel like it was a case of the writers being like dude he needs to chill cause we need to go from point a to b and I just wish it wasn't at the cost of Kang. I really did enjoy his character and I low key ship him with Eun Sol so it's kind of unfortunate he resigned though I'm sure he'll be back. The craziest part of the episodes from this week was the reveal that Baek Beom's girl is still alive and for some reason his father is hiding her. She seems to be in a coma and that's real rough cause if he hadn't hidden her then Kang's older brother wouldn't have killed himself either. I'm really curious as to why the father hid her and what happened to the baby she was carrying. The second case with the family was really interesting though I really thought for a while (and it still might be the case cause we haven't resolved it yet) that the family was playing up their suspicious nature in order to get the police and NFS involved cause they didn't want to pay to have their father's body taken care of and I thought maybe by making it a case they could get the body disposed of through the NFS. I have no idea if it can work that way but it would be interesting. Also sidebar Cha Soo-Ho is a treasure and most definitely my favorite character on this show aside from Stella though I don't ship them together.
FINISHED Lawless Lawyer (16/16): When Bong Sang-Pil was little, he lived with his mother in Gisung. His mother worked as a lawyer and she took on a case that Judge Cha Moon-Sook got involved with. Judge Cha Moon-Sook was the most respected person in the city. One night, Bong Sang-Pil witnessed his mother get killed by Judge Cha Moon-Sook's subordinate. Bong Sang-Pil got out of Gisung and went to live with his gang boss uncle Choi Dae-Woong. Bong Sang-Pil decided to become a lawyer to take revenge on those responsible for his mother's death. 18 years later, Bong Sang-Pil works as a lawyer. He sees news on the TV that a detective was arrested for killing the mayor of Gisung. The detective holds a key to the murder of Bong Sang-Pil's mother. Bong Sang-Pil returns to Gisung for the first time in 18 years. He opens up a law office there. Meanwhile, Ha Jae-Yi is a lawyer with integrity. She beats up a judge in court and gets her law license suspended. Ha Jae-Yi returns to her hometown of Gisung. There, Bong Sang-Pil approaches Ha Jae-Yi and gets her to work at his law office. Bong Sang-Pil holds a secret related to the death of Ha Jae-Yi’s mother.

The final two episodes aired this week and it was very bittersweet cause our crew were able to get the justice/revenge they wanted and there were things that I wished were different but overall I enjoyed watching this show even if I was more in love with it near the beginning and it slowed down a little for me near the end. Sang-Pil and Jae-Yi are still one of my favorite asian drama couples and I loved how badass each were in their own right with neither being the weak link. The best part of the final trial was seeing Jae-Yi and Sang-Pil trade back and forth on questioning witnesses and making points and I was cheering them on. It made sense that An killed himself but I was just glad to see Cha Moon Sook get what she deserved in the end even if she never lost her holier than thou state of mind. The Lawless loan sharks were an amazing part to this show that I never knew I wanted and their reactions to Jae-Yi and Sang-Pil being romantic will never cease to amuse me so I'm kind of sad that they didn't go with our lawyers to Seoul but at the same time I liked that they would continue their firm with a new lawyer! I do wish that we had gotten a bit more time to give Jae-Yi and Sang-Pil more of a romantic sendoff but since they are still together I guess that's enough for me! I'd give this show a 9 / 10!
Miss Hammurabi (13/16): Park Cha Oh-Reum works as a rookie judge. She is in her mid-20's and follows "an eye for an eye" principle. She does not accept prejudice or blindly follow authority. Dealing with cases, she and her colleagues, including Im Ba-Reun, grow as people.

I'm noticing as the weeks go by I find myself disliking one episode and then loving the next. I really didn't like the alcohol themed case cause honestly I agreed with Ba-Reun pretty much on every count but the show clearly wanted me to believe that he was being too harsh and I was not a fan of that. Just cause alcohol is considered to be a part of society it doesn't mean that it can be used an excuse. I do not care how sad or lonely or depressed a person was before they drank. Alcohol lowers your inhibitions, it doesn't turn you into another person. If you know you have to drive somewhere, don't freaking drink! If you know you get violent after drinking, don't freaking drink! Idk maybe I'm not the target audience for this episode but I was really not about it. Oh-Reum gets super attached to victims but suddenly she's all about the poor people who are drinking to excess? What about the poor people that could have been killed by the drunk driver? Or the poor woman who almost got hit in the head with a bottle? Ugh ugh ugh. On the other hand, I loved the quasi-rape case. Once again it was tied to alcohol though and honestly I will never understand why guys think that sleeping with extremely drunk women is okay. Like Ba-Reun said if you're not 100% sure, don't sleep with her! If she wants to sleep with you too, she'll make it known when she's sober. I loved the speech Judge Han gave at the end and I liked that Oh-Reum is slowly falling for Ba-Reum but the best parts of these episodes were Judge Jung and Do Yeon who were super cute and I adored every moment of them. I loved that he stood up for her against all those assholes and that she told him that she likes him cause she feels safe around him. The scene at the club was so much fun and I love when I get to see our cast outside the courtroom Also I was thrilled that those dumbass judges that run around talking shit about all these women finally got punched!
What's Wrong With Secretary Kim (10/16): What's Wrong With Secretary Kim revolves around the narcissistic Lee Young Joon, the vice president of a company run by his family. He is very self absorbed and thinks highly of himself, so much so that he barely acknowledges the people around him. Lee Young Joon has a capable and patient secretary in Kim Mi So who has remained by his side and worked diligently for 9 years without any romantic involvement. But Mi So has grown tired of her frustrating boss so when she decides to resign from her job, hilarious misunderstandings ensue. After 9 years of their strictly-workplace relationship, can it now develop in something more?

Ahh I love these two so much that I look forward to every week just to watch these two adorable idiots be in love!! I loved how so much of the first episode was about struggling to balance their romantic relationship with their work one cause so few dramas actually touch on this and I was proud of Mi-So for actually drawing a line with him and being like work is work and I don't want special treatment here. I'm usually not a fan of boss/employee relationships cause I'm not comfortable with power dynamics in relationships like if Young-Joon says something, Mi-So has to do it even if she's uncomfortable and though there was a bit of that in the beginning of this show, I'm thrilled that Young-Joon was able to change enough to realize that he could not act the same way as before. I'm sure there's a balance they can find somewhere between being an extremely selfish boss and a soft boyfriend. I loved that he got the blessings from Mi-So's sisters (and even that he cared enough to want it) even if I was cringing during like 90% of the second episode. They have so much chemistry and I'm loving that Young-Joon doesn't follow the normal relationship politics of hiding how he feels and just spits out what he's thinking cause those are my favorite types of asian drama men. It ends up looking so smooth when he's actually just fumbling around! I was also living for the office employees freaking out over Young-Joon doing anything outside of his office! They seriously are a hilarious part to this show that normally I would fast forward cause I want to see more of the main couple but I love them too! The side love story between Mr Yang and Ms Bong is adorable and she's honestly such an embarrassment anytime she does anything but Yang thinks it's cute so I'm like melting. I was a little surprised at how early in the show they revealed who Mi-So's oppa was and that Mi-So was smart enough to put the pieces together herself but at the same time I'm glad cause I was getting sick of Sung-Yeon acting like he was the one in the most pain when it clearly wasn't him. We never did get an explanation on why he thought it was him who was kidnapped or why the family went along with it. I assume it's some sort of mental break but like I think the kid who was actually traumatized from being kidnapped requires a little more attention than the one who deluded himself into thinking that he was the one kidnapped!
Wok Of Love/Greasy Melo (30/40): Set at a small Chinese restaurant. Drama series follows Seo Poong's attempts at survival, food and love. Chef Seo Poong was once a star chef and worked at the best Chinese restaurant. His popularity faded and he eventually wound up working at a small, failing Chinese restaurant. Meanwhile, Doo Chil-Seong is the owner of a building. He is an ex-gang member and he was in jail for 5 years.

My goodness Sae-Woo's entire family are such assholes aren't they?? I cannot wrap my head around what's going on there and why they hate Poong so much. It's not like Poong is running around just being mean for no reason! When he gets upset it's for a good reason and it's not like he's fired Sae-Woo's mom for all her mistakes yet. It was her own decision to quit cause she has no backbone or ability to handle criticism. The other gangsters were run ragged by Poong at first too but they tried their hardest to do better while she just seems to walk around bemoaning how hard everything is and how she wishes everything could go back to normal. I really hate rich people in dramas cause they think they're so much better than everyone else no matter what they go through. She keeps harping on Sae-Woo finding a nice rich man and I really wanted Sae-Woo to finally say something especially since her lame ass ex-husband cowed to his parents wishes. I was so pissed that Poong had to run off and beg her to come back just because the whole kitchen staff was being assholes to him but mostly cause he found out the truth about them all. I was glad though that both Poong and Sae-Woo were able to tell each other the truth about why they got divorced but I'm still annoyed that everyone's lying to Poong. He's such a sweetheart and the whole family is treating him like garbage just because he's poor? I was also not thrilled about Cutting Part and Noodle Part trying to leave him. Damn how unprofessional can people be? Even the Hotel chef told Poong to control his staff better and seriously if we're supposed to hand wave Sae-Woo's mom as just naive, those two at least have worked in kitchens before and should know better! Besides if we're comparing Poong to the Hotel Chef, I'm sure Poong is the nicer boss! My heart broke for him when he asked Sae-Woo if they would like him better if he worked at the hotel again. He'd literally do anything for her even if it means crawling back to the place that tossed him aside and treated him like trash and I wish Sae-Woo's family could see that cause who else will treat Sae-Woo better?? Money is not everything and if Sae-Woo doesn't stand up for him next week, I will not be able to stand her anymore cause for goodness sake he does not deserve to be treated this way!! Also sidebar we're told this week that Sae-Woo got her masters in America but if that's the case, why did she go and work at Hungry Wok and not somewhere she can use her degree? I keep forgetting she's supposed to be rich as hell cause she never acts like it between the way she dresses and the way she acts! Like girl is supposed to be almost 30 and got married and divorced but acts like she's still in high school!

CDRAMA


Legend of Fu Yao (24/66): Meng Fu Yao, a woman born from a divine lotus petal. She journeys through the five continents towards the heavens in search of a secret order and to reveal a conspiracy originating from the heavens. In the process, she falls in love with the crown prince Zhangsun Wuji.

This week was a lot of fun for this show and the chemistry between Fu Yao and Wuji is so real! I was all about Fu Yao ending up in Wuji's harem and for a minute there I was like wait does this mean they're legally married in this world even though both are pretending to be someone else. It's always hard for me to keep track cause I watch so many shows set in different decades across different countries and the marriage practices are all so different. Tbh it might just be as simple as saying oh this person is my wife and this one is my mistress and there's nothing to back it up except the word of men. I really didn't mind most of Wuji's flirting with the other women in his harem cause I know it's all fake and the only one he's really interested in is Fu Yao. This scenario did lead to a lot of fun moments like at the banquet when the other consort tried to blame her and Fu Yao and Wuji are both trying so hard to keep a straight face. It also allowed Fu Yao to realize she likes Wuji as more than a friend but I loved that it looked like we were about to go the "I have to push you away to keep you safe" route only for that to not even last a whole episode when Wuji's servant told Fu Yao the truth. I am a tiny bit disappointed with the fact that he's apparently engaged though I feel like a good plot twist would be if he was engaged to the lotus princess or whatever fancy name that Fu Yao is supposed to have as the carrier of the fancy pebble. I'm also a little upset that the Statesman Qi saw Fu Yao's real face this week in a mirror cause I was really enjoying this whole fool the world and the harem thing our main couple were doing and I feel like it'll come to an end soon if he knows so I hope that whatever he attempts to do, he'll be fooled for a bit longer. I also still loving Bei Ye and Lan Zu's relationship and I definitely feel like they'll end up together by the end of this show cause they're precious together and what man in this world wouldn't fall for a girl who wants to mother him? Also their singing was hauntingly beautiful and super unexpected which made me love it more! I do hope that this isn't the last we see of them.
Legend of Yun Xi (6/48): Han Yun Xi is the daughter of an imperial physician who lost her mother when young, but maintains a cheerful and optimistic disposition. Yun Xi is naturally talented in medical science and proficient in traditional medicine, but suffers from the jealousy and avoidance of others. By a stroke of fate, she marries the Duke of Qin, Long Fei Ye, and becomes embroiled in the changing politics of the imperial court. Yun Xi relies on her high-level medical skills, wise, far-sighted brain, and compassionate heart to expel the poisons of a great official, get rid of secret agents for the Duke of Qin, eliminate the plague for the common citizens, and cure the crown prince’s strange illness. Yun Xi’s kindness as a doctor not only earns her the appreciation of the masses, but helps the Duke of Qin overcome many nefarious plots, including the rebellion of the Chu siblings. After a series of unfortunate accidents, her medical skills grow even more unparalleled and she even gains the admiration and adoration of the Duke of Qin. Both of them take fame lightly in favor of digging into the medical field. In the end, they leave the clamor of court intrigue behind them and go in seclusion in the mountains, living a happy life free from worldly cares.

I'm still loving this show though I'm seriously getting bogged down in politics and not only is it so boring tbh but it's also confusing me cause for the longest time I thought the Duke of Qin and the Crown Prince were the same person! It's also hard to tell who's good or bad so far cause if we follow Yun Xi, she doesn't really know who is who. I'm pretty much assuming everyone hates the Duke except for his mom who hates Yun Xi for "reasons" and his right hand man. Even the poison guy in the valley is working for the evil side and hardcore how mean was it when he used Yun Xi's face to poison the Duke. I really wanted her to tell the truth and return the book after she realized it was her husband that she stole from but after that I'm assuming that eventually the Duke will find out and get super pissed. I'm just hoping that the reveal won't come until after they fall in love cause then it'll be more dramatic and fun to watch. I'm also living for her trying to study his whole body and him being super uncomfortable with the whole thing and everyone in the mansion giggling about it. I'm a little confused about their marriage though and how marriage works in this era. Like is there no ceremony? Yun Xi is considered a Princess Consort but also a Duchess but also an Imperial Concubine or is that supposed to be the wives of the Emperor only? I hope we see more of Yun Xi's poison powers and at the very least working with the Duke cause I want to see them interact more!
FINISHED Oh! My Emperor (42/42): Luo Fei Fei, a girl from the 21st century, was transported to a mysterious world of the past -Huang Dao Guo. In the nation of Huang Dao, its leadership is rotated among the 12 constellation owners every thousand years. There, Fei Fei meets the current emperor of the nation, Bei Tang Yi, who is also the owner of the Capricorn constellation.

So when I first started watching this show I was all about it cause it reminded me a lot of Cinderella Chef and it was so interesting and funny that I was literally laughing almost every episode but as it went on I became less and less interested and I started to not only dislike the main male lead but I started to like the second lead better. I almost dropped the show if I'm being honest just based on how much I didn't like the male lead. I've said over and over that I don't find cold male leads romantic and the only version I can handle is the kind that says something mean but doesn't mean it and actually does really nice things for the girl like in Mystic Nine or the kind that says something mean but you can read it on his face that he means something completely different like in What's Wrong With Secretary Kim or Oh My Ghost. Tang Yi fit those descriptions at first but as the show went on it became less and less cute. Like wow how can you not fall in love with a guy who takes you from the lap of luxury and forces you into servitude while also sending you to prison every other day. I really preferred his uncle Mo Ran simply due to the fact that he treated Fei Fei better. I can never understand why girls are into men like Tang Yi. Was he ever nice to her literally ever? Nope but Fei Fei is falling at his feet anyway. Over time though I was able to stomach the romance and once Tang Yi stopped hiding his feelings, I did start to think they were cute for a hot second especially whenever they kissed. I loved that there was no politics in the court in this show (there was some from another kingdom but not an overpowering amount) and I loved some of the side couples as well. The comedy in this show was amazing and I'm always a huge fan of funny sound effects. I'd give the first season of this show a 6.5 and the second a 7 so overall I'd say this show is like a 6.75 / 10. Check this show out if you want something funny with little substance!
DROPPED Secret Of The Three Kingdoms (20/54): The story revolves around the secrets during the Three Kingdoms era, focusing on the intense rivalry between the Imperial Han and Cao Cao rather than the more famous events in history as we know it.

I originally decided to check out this show cause I fell in love with Elvis Han in Siege in Fog and when I saw that he was in this show I wanted to check it out cause I want to support my bae (dude I have so many and I'm not even sorry) but when I read the description of this show and then some first impression reviews, I wavered. They were all talking about how this show is like 90% politics and you know me and my preference for light politics mixed with romance. It also didn't help that I knew that Elvis Han's character was a "villain" in real life but eventually I decided to bite the bullet cause I kept seeing gifs of Elvis's handsome face in this show. I got almost halfway through the show and decided that this was a weird one for me cause I couldn't figure out how I feel about it. On the one hand I think that the politics and plot is written really well in that for once nothing feels draggy and I can actually follow who is who and what's going on. The characters are all interesting to learn about and Elvis's Sima Yi is such a badass and so damn smart that I love watching him make the other characters run in circles around him while the Emperor is such a cute cinnamon roll that it makes total sense why Sima Yi loves him so much and why the Empress is slowly falling for him. Despite all that I find myself struggling to turn on the next episode once I stop. It's like while I'm watching I'm interested in what's going on and I'm not fast forwarding this show like About Time but at the same time if I never saw another episode of this show again, I wouldn't be that torn up about it. Is that not the textbook definition of indifference? After a lot of thought, I decided to drop this show due to this indifference I felt cause it's no fun to watch something that I feel meh about. I just want to fall in love with a new show again especially cause Oh My Emperor was the last one I binged and I was not feeling that one that much either! I might come back to this show in the future but as of right now I'm moving on.
Sweet Dreams (8/45): Ling Ling Qi is a sincere, kind girl who's always happy to lend a hand to others, but she also has low self-esteem, which has severely impacted her life, making her unable to do her best at work and fulfill her dreams. She's also afraid to express her feelings for her colleague that she's been harboring a crush on, B0 Hai. One day, Ling Ling Qi and Bo Hai take part ina company's high tech experimental bracelet test to improve sleeping patterns. During the test, the bracelet malfunctions, leading Ling Ling Qi's electro brain waves to be keyed into Bo Hai's dream sequence, which allowed Ling Ling Qi to enter Bo Hai's dreams. Drama focuses on how the two characters help each other fix their own personal problems within their dreams and real lives.

So after having seen a couple more episodes of this show this week, I'm a little bit torn about how I feel about this show. I still enjoy the concept of this couple meeting in a dreamworld, solving problems and becoming close, before meeting in real life but as the episodes go on, I'm finding more and more problems in this show. First of all, it seems we've dropped the whole dreamworld thing for now which is one of the reasons that I didn't like that Qi Qi figured out that the dreams were linked. On top of that I was hoping for more of a direct problem/answer like we got in the first episode when Bo Hai needed pink roses and he got the idea to dye white roses pink from Qi Qi's blood. Instead we got a few metaphorical solution to problems which again I wouldn't have minded if it was better explained. Like when Bo Hai is worried about a shareholder taking over the company and the solution is to drop a whale on a dragon and I'm sitting here like what. Secondly I was not thrilled with Qi Qi's character at first cause I wanted Qi Qi to have her own character and motivations and dreams but instead she basically changed herself to revolve around a guy. This archetype is the exact reason I don't usually like shows where women fall in love first. I was really hoping that she would take the job at the animal hospital but I suppose that after 4 years of obsessing over Bo Hai, she somehow ended up liking floral design and being good at it. I am also liking that as the episodes went on she grew a backbone around him and while her feelings aren't gone that she'll be able to be her own person and that person is the one that Bo Hai will be into! I'm also loving the trio's friendship and I figure that the other two will get together eventually though I do have the feels that right now Mo Nan is into Qi Qi and I have the feels that will break up their friendship at least for a bit.

TWDRAMA


Single Ladies Senior (13/15): Four best friends from college are finding success as modern career women. Wang Mi Na, Yin Ge Li, Weng Mei Yan and Bai Ya Xuan are considered princesses in a tower because of their focus on their work and careers. But as they each face their own challenges of career vs. relationship, must they make a choice or can they have both?

Ugh like I expected the preview that I saw last week for this episode made me hope again that Mi Na might grow a brain and actually pick Shao Qi but once again I was let down. If I'm being honest I won't stop hoping for that twist until like the final episode airs so I can't really blame the show's previews or anything like that cause hardcore I do it to myself. I just cannot understand why she wouldn't be into him but I guess I just gotta go with show logic. She was thrown for a few minutes after he confessed to her but after that she was more annoyed that he was acting awkward around her than being awkward around him cause of what he said like in other dramas I've seen. Honestly I kind of want to blame the writers for this love triangle and my hope that the second male lead is actually the male lead cause what drama allows the second male lead to actually kiss the female lead (and more than once at that!!) He Yi Fan is still the goddamn worst and honestly I feel no pity for him or his situation. He chose money over love and then led Ge Li around for 10 years only to be like oh you actually didn't bend over backwards to help my uncle well then peace out. Honestly I wouldn't even mind if Mi Na chose neither guy and went off alone if it meant she didn't pick He Yi Fan. This episode did make me feel better about Tian Yu and not cheating on his girl. I feel like when a playboy like him can out and out admit that he loves his girl then he's probs not bored or looking for another woman to hook up with. Also by the way Wang Edison's abs are to die for! There are two more episodes remaining and I'm interested to see how this show ends!

xoxo Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment