Friday, August 24, 2018

What Dramas Am I Watching This Week?

Here's what I'm watching this week! Of course the list is split by country and episodes I've seen so far are written below! There will be spoilers from now on so if you aren't caught to the episode number I list, you might want to go watch that episode and then come back! If you're interested in previous lists, click here and if you want to see a list of my favorite asian OTPs and ships, click here!

KDRAMA


My ID Is Gangnam Beauty (8/16): Adapted from a popular webtoon, this drama tells of Kang Mi Rae, a girl once bullied for her looks. As a result, she became insecure, cautious around people and withdrawn. However, Mi Rae decides she wants a fresh start away from bullying and gets plastic surgery to transform her face. When she begins university, she meets Do Kyung Suk from their middle school days, who sees people for what they are on the inside and not the outside; he then becomes attracted to Kang Mi Rae. As Mi Rae begins to get teased once more and labeled "Gangnam Beauty", the cold, aloof but kind inside Kyung Suk becomes the one person that stands up for her and in the process, Mi Rae begins to recover her lost confidence and discovers that true beauty is not on the outside.

My god isn't Soo Ah just the absolute worst? It was one thing when she kept trying to get between Mi Rae and Kyung Suk cause I just assumed she didn't want to be "beaten" by Mi Rae but after this week when she started to try to ruin another relationship, I'm stunned. She's that much of an attention seeker that she cannot let a single guy be interested in another girl besides her? It's honestly disgusting and I'm sure at some point the show will try to redeem her with a sob story and it'll allow everyone to forgive her but I'm not sure any kind of sad backstory would be enough for her to act like this. Can anyone say daddy issues? On the other hand I loved that Kyung Suk learned about what actually happened when his parents divorced and that ironically it was his dad who spit it all out trying to cover his ass in the belief that his mom already told him. I'm glad the truth came out cause I thought since last week that the relationship was a bit manipulative and I didn't like the idea that Kyung Suk blamed her for leaving but after finding out that his dad hit her hard enough to make her lose her sense of smell, it was horrific and good on her for getting out! I did like the idea that Kyung Suk was so horrified that he left home but I kind of wanted him to go stay with his mom like I assumed he would but maybe he hasn't forgiven her entirely yet so that's why he didn't go to her. Mi Rae and Kyung Suk are still adorable and I wish their date had been a little less awkward but she was worrying about trying to treat him like a friend. I'm also glad that now that they're mostly on the same page regarding his mom that we won't have to see Mi Rae go against his wishes anymore on behalf of his mom. I'm a little curious as to why every single time Kyung Suk and Soo Ah are near each other everyone starts talking about what a cute couple they are but when Mi Rae is around Kyung Suk (and that happens more often) no one says anything or even cares. It's weird as hell. Also sidebar but I actually think Eun is more beautiful than any of the girls and it throws me that the show keeps telling us that she's average looking.
Thirty But Seventeen/Still Seventeen (18/32): Woo Seo Ri, a violin prodigy at 17 who was about to study in Germany, got into a bus accident and fell into a coma waking up 13 years later. Mentally she is still only 17, while physically she is now 30. Gong Woo Jin is a 30 year old single man who works as a set designer. Due to a trauma he experienced 13 years before, he does not want to have a relationship with others. This series is about a man and a woman whose lives have been mangled due to a grisly accident. Together, they use all their might to try and open the door to happiness that they once thought had been closed to them.

Only two episodes aired this week and I'm heartbroken cause I adore this show! I adore how the relationship between Seo Ri and Woo Jin is progressing and honestly when I first read the description for this show I wasn't sure how the relationship would work cause even if Seo Ri is physcially 30, she was mentally 17 and it felt kind of sketch to have her fall for a 30 year old. After watching 18 episodes, I actually think the relationship really works cause Woo Jin is basically a child too after cutting off his emotions for so long and I like that neither one has has any real relationship experience so this is all new to them. Woo Jin's sister was so sweet and I loved how happy she was that Woo Jin wasn't stuck in his trauma anymore and I liked that she left after figuring out the truth and knowing that Seo Ri was the one to bring her brother's smile back. He officially knows that he likes her and Seo Ri is on her way to realizing it too. I also loved that Woo Jin decided not to sell the house and it makes me kind of hope that by the end of this show the two of them stay there with Jennifer and Fang while Chan and his friends pop by for visits. Speaking of poor Chan, I think he finally realized this week that Seo Ri and Woo Jin are into each other and it breaks my heart cause he's so adorable but I still do think that he's going to step aside cause he loves his uncle so much.
Time (16/32): This is the story of two polar opposite people that come together in tragedy. One remains stuck in time, whilst the other only has a limited amount of time left to live. Seol Ji Hyun is a woman who, although living a hard life, remains positive, upbeat and social. Cheon Soo Ho is the CEO of a restaurant and the son of a wealthy family with a terrible temper and no regard for other people. They both meet briefly under negative impressions of each other. However, their lives become entangled once more when Ji Hyun's sister dies unexpectedly in Soo Ho's residence. From there, Ji Hyun's time stops and she becomes a cold, miserable person who finds nothing to live for. But Soo Hoo, who carries heavy guilt and is drawn to her, promises to himself to use the 6 months he has left to live to help her, whose life was destroyed because of him. In the process, Soo Ho falls in love with Ji Hyun, but how far can love develop when you only have a limited time left to live?

Every week I feel more and more horrible for poor Soo Ho! He has no memory of what happened and he already thinks so lowly of himself that of course if someone told him he killed Ji Hyun's sister, he'd believe it. It's honestly so upsetting cause we were finally on the offensive with our crew getting proof that Chae Ah was a part of the hotel murder and we were able to beat the Lawyer Shin to the punch by getting the documentary aired but it was all for naught after Chae Ah convinced Soo Ho that he was the murderer by literally showing the evidence she had. I really really need our crew to find the flashdrive with the pool footage cause I absolutely refuse to believe that it's gone cause how else are we going to be able to prove that Soo Ho had nothing to do with the death?? It seriously makes my blood boil watching Chae Ah and Lawyer Shin run around like they're in the right! I was really hoping that Soo Ho would have told Ji Hyun the truth before the documentary came out but of course that would be the least dramatic way to reveal this so of course she had to find out some other way. I was surprised though that no one snitched on Soo Ho to Ji Hyun to make her leave his side though cause I really did expect someone to do it just to mess with our crew!
Witch's Love (10/12): In plain sight in bustling Seoul, three generations of witches have been living below the radar of everyone around them. Kang Cho Hong operates a restaurant with her fellow witches, Maeng Ye Soon and Jo Aeng Doo. They try to keep a low profile, but Cho Hong’s youthful good looks attract the attention of a neighborhood guy, Hwang Jae Wook, who is constantly trying to get close to her. Cho Hong and her fellow witches’ quiet lives become complicated when their building landlord, Ma Sung Tae, shows up one day. Sung Tae wants to face a traumatic incident that happened to him in that building when he was a little boy. With Sung Tae nosing around their business on a regular basis, can Cho Hong keep her true identity a secret from him?

So we got an info dump this week from Jae Wook being Cho Hong's destined man to Sung Tae being told the truth about Cho Hong to who actually was hurt by the witches. It's actually kind of funny cause Jae Wook's backstory is a pretty normal kdrama main lead story in that they should be childhood lovers so in most shows he would be the one Cho Hong chooses but in this show Cho Hong (and me) has already been won over by Sung Tae. We have been told though that something weird is going on with Cho Hong and Sung Tae from the evil witch cause not only does her witch mark flickers into existence for a bit whenever she's happy with Sung Tae but stuff if happening in the witch's home so I wonder if maybe the whole destined man thing has more to do with loving someone and them loving her back rather than what we've been told so far. Having said all that, I am so glad that Cho Hong was the one to tell Sung Tae the truth cause dramas never let our characters tell the truth when there's a secret. There's ALWAYS a third party butting in! I also really want to know about Jae Wook and how him drawing a bleeding nose on Sung Tae actually made that come true. I would be super thrown if it turned out that he was a witch too or even crazier if he was the actual witch and he willed all the soup rice women into being but I have a feeling it might just be a one off or a joke added post credits. Also can we take a moment to gush about how amazing Sung Tae is? He says all the most romantic things even when he doesn't mean to and he has no problem with admitting that he's said or done something wrong and apologizing for it immediately. It's also precious that any time he gets slightly upset, Cho Hong basically charms him into forgetting it! I love that the show doesn't shy away from our leads kissing or hugging cause it makes their relationship feel more real! We also learned that the soup place is definitely where he got "kidnapped" but I have a feeling that he was actually saved by the soup witches and that Cho Hong's mom tried to kill her daughter but the witches stopped her and then used the knife to erase Cho Hong's memories somehow which is why Sung Tae thinks he was stabbed. I'm so excited and sad to see the finale next week!
Your House Helper (30/32): The daily life of an average working woman involves: a packed subway during the rush hours, a miserable old boss, juniors clawing their way up, mounting credit card debt, and a rusty and tired body... And above all, the worst is the endless housekeeping work that awaits her at home. But what if a handsome guy appears and takes care of all the housekeeping work for her? And not only that, what if he solves the problems in her complicated and confused life? In this drama, a male house helper does housekeeping works in different women's houses and tries to solve their issues.

So it was supposed to be finale week but for some reason only two episodes aired instead of four so we're going to be getting some more of this show next week which is kinda annoying cause I want all the episodes now! Honestly I feel like this show has flown by so quickly and I think it's because there's so little contrived drama that it doesn't make my blood boil or make me roll my eyes so I've just been consuming this show like popcorn. It's strange how much I actually ended up enjoying this show cause normally I can't watch shows that have no stakes and at first glance that's what's happening here but when you look at the show closer you realize that there actually are plenty of stakes and things happening but the drama is super realistic which is why it doesn't feel so intense! I loved watching all the characters grow and find themselves and find relationships! I loved that Da Yeong gave Ji Woon the address to his ex's new place regardless of how sad it made her cause it proves what an amazing person she is. I loved that So Mi confronted her brother and has gotten over her fear of men. I loved that Sang Ah followed her dream of being a jewelry designer not matter how scared she was of not being able to do it again.

CDRAMA


Bloody Romance (19/36): In the turbulent interregnum following the collapse of the Tang dynasty, a young daughter of a herbalist was tricked and sold into a brothel. After a harrowing escape from death, she eventually found herself in a city of female assassins. Assuming the new name of Wan Mei, she began to learn from ropes of being an assassin from Chang An, a young man who acted as her guide and warder. Over time, Wan Mei and Chang An began to develop genuine affection for each other. But Cha Luo, the leader of the assassins took a dislike to Wan Mei and plotted against the couple with her cohorts. Wan Mei's personality and gifts caused Gong Zi, the hidden owner of Gui Hua City to take a interest on her. Burdened by his hidden identity, Chang An began to distance himself from Wan Mei. The protagonists found themselves embroiled in escalating conspiracies involving deadly betrayals and struggles for power.

Ugh it's so nice to fall in love with a new drama cause I had been in a drama slump for a little while after I finished The Masked Lover back at the start of August. I usually like to keep up with all my currently airing dramas and binge some more but I struggled to find one I liked. I started this drama with practically no expectations and hardcore fell in love practically from the moment I started it. The idea of the show was fascinating cause I haven't seen a lot of shows with assassins in it and I liked that the world though still mystical and magical like most cdramas set in the past, it felt a little more grounded and real in a way. I loved Wan Mei's character and how she's sentimental and softhearted but still smart and strong in her own way. Naive characters or characters who know nothing but act like they know everything are my least favorite and Wan Mei though she started out a little ignorant, knew that about herself and actually asked questions rather than assuming. I love her relationship with Chang An and how it progressed. I loved that both fell in love and both knew how the other felt without having to go through the anxiety of wanting to know if the person they loved loved them too. Their breakup reason was also amazing cause it actually felt believable for once and I completely understood why both did what they did even if I wish Chang An had told her the truth cause he should have known that she would support him no matter what (you know my preference for us against the world tropes!) Gong Zi is also a really fun character and his dynamic with Wan Mei is amazing too and I love that he's still supporting her which makes me want her to see him as a good friend if not a lover (may or may not have a bit of SLS) so I'm really sad that in order for him to live, she has to die. All of the other characters in the show are fun as well and I like the amount of politics we've gotten so far. The assassination missions are so exciting as well and the only thing I'm not a fan of is Gong Zi's right hand woman who is the annoying second female lead who gets so jealous that she goes out of her way to ruin things for the main girl. Now that Wan Mei's been healed, I'm less annoyed with her but it was touch and go for a while!
Meteor Garden (41/48): An ordinary girl is admitted to the most prestigious school in the country where she encounters F4, an exclusive group comprised of the four wealthiest and handsomest boys in the school - Dao Ming Si, Hua Ze Lei, Xi Men and Mei Zuo.

I adore Xiayou and Ximen and I was all about their relationship and I'm still all about it but I'm glad we ended where we did! Although we the audience know that Ximen is into Xiayou, she doesn't know that and she's got no indication from him that he likes her so it seemed really crazy of her to run around for such a long time trying to make him happy or trying to force emotions onto him cause that's what I hate in shows. I am glad though that she did give it her all before giving up and talking about dating again. I want my girl with Ximen in the end but I want her to date someone else and allow Ximen to realize how much he likes her and get jealous! She needs to make him work for it. On the other end Si and Shan Cai were doing great and of course since it's been a while since they've been anything but fluffy and adorable, it was about time for the drama to jump up again even if I don't want it. At this point I don't even understand the reasons for their breakups and hardcore I don't even care cause it's just a wait until they get back together though guys when Si cries, I do too cause he's just so precious. But let's focus on the stuff I adored this week like just how whipped Si is and how much Shan Cai wears the pants in the relationship and I'm living cause he hasn't complained for one second and I bet even if the F4 say something about him being whipped, he'd be like yes all proud. He's so adorable.

HKDRAMA


The Stunt (9/25): The Stuntmen’s main storyline centers on Tai-Chi and May-Chu, professional stunt performers for the movie industry. May plays Chun Chun's stunt double, while Duncan plays a director.

This show is the first Hong Kong drama that I've ever watched, not because of any particular reason other than the fact that HKDramas rarely pop up on my drama feeds so I've never checked one out before. After watching about 9 episodes of this show I'm pretty down for this one cause not only is the concept something really unique but I'm loving watching all those stunts being done! I love the OTT team and seeing how stunts are done behind the scenes! I'm so down with May-Chu and Tai-Chi and Duncan as characters though I'm hardcore feeling the second lead syndrome cause I want May-Chu with Duncan but I'm fairly certain that she'll end up with Tai-Chi based on what I know about dramas. HKDramas are similar to TWDramas in that they always try to keep you guessing about who the male lead is. I'm not opposed to Tai-Chi and May-Chu cause I did love them together at the start but as the show went on and we learned more about Duncan, I fell in love with his character. It also doesn't help that I think he's so much more attractive than Tai-Chi or the fact that Tai-Chi is so much older than May-Chu and acts like her father half the time though I think that's more of a front cause he's always the first to step up and be jealous. The only thing I'm not into with this show is Chun Chun and the whole acting world cause I don't really care. I could see the show putting Duncan and Chun Chun together which again I'm not the most thrilled with but at least he'd end up happy if (but most likely when) May-Chu doesn't pick him.

xoxo Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment