Friday, May 15, 2020

What Dramas Am I Watching This Week?

So here's what I'm watching this week! Of course the list is split by country and the amount of episodes I've seen so far are written below! There will be spoilers from now on so if you aren't caught to the episode number on list, you might want to go watch that episode and then come back! If you're interested in previous reviews, click here and if you want to see a list of my Favorite Asian OTPs and Ships, click here!

KDRAMA


    FINISHED Find Me In Your Memory (32/32): The story revolves around a man with hyperthymesia, a condition that gives people the ability to remember an abnormally vast amount of their life experiences in vivid detail, and a woman who has forgotten the most important moments of her life. The two people with similar scars fatefully cross paths one day and come to love each other. Jung Hoon is an anchor of a news show which has the highest ratings. Jung Hoon’s handsome face and perfect body figure make him look good in a suit. Unlike his gentle appearances, he becomes a tyrant all of a sudden and starts asking aggressive questions to whoever it is. Because of hyperthymesia, he remembers every single thing happening in 365 days a year ever since his childhood. He can’t forget the memory of the woman he loved, Seo Yeon, who disappeared 8 years ago. A rising star who attracts everyone’s attention, Ha Jin, appears in front of Jung Hoon at that moment. Despite all the attention, Ha Jin doesn’t waver and keeps her confidence. However, she has a secret that her memory is fading away. The man who cannot forget and the woman whose memory is fading away. Will they be able to overcome their difficulties, understand each other, and fall in love at the end?

    I'm honestly so sad that I'm ending this great drama on a bitter note cause until these last four episodes, this drama might have been one of my favs of the year but after watching the hot mess it turned into, I'm not so down. This week was all about Ha Jin's return to Korea and how she and Jung Hoon got back together but it all felt so strange cause there wasn't even a question in the two falling out of love so I'm sitting here like why break up at all if you were going to get back together? The point was that Ha Jin left cause she couldn't handle the backlash from the public so why not long distance date? The other thing that annoyed me was that the show did that thing I hate with time skips where nothing about the time skip actually fixed any of the problems we had. The show ended before we could even discuss how the public didn't want Jung Hoon and Ha Jin together so like are we supposed to believe that now people don't care but 2 years ago they did? Or that an interview would fix it and then if that was true why not do that 2 years ago?? I also really wish that Jung Hoon's memory illness had played a bigger role in this show cause other than a few small moments here and there, I think it was underused. Despite all my complaints, I do still think Ha Jin and Jung Hoon were the cutest couple and the two actors had tons of chemistry to the degree that they're even adorable in the behind the scenes videos so at the very least I'll always remember this drama for that! Overall I'd give this show a 9.5 / 10 cause I can totally ignore the ending and enjoy the rest.
    Good Casting (6/16): Baek Chan Mi is a legendary agent for the National Intelligence Service. However, due to an excessive operation, one of her subordinates passes away. After this incident, she takes back all hope of returning to the field when she gets an order to go undercover. She begins working as a secretary for Ilkwang Hitech under the name, Baek Jang Mi. She is joined by a single mother, Im Ye Eun, who has the beauty of a girl group member, and Hwang Mi Soon, a housewife of 18 years whose family believes her to be an insurance salesperson. These three women begin to work together. Meanwhile, Ilkwang Hitech’s CEO, Yoon Seok Ho, knew Chan Mi as his tutor and had a crush on her. He can’t help but think that his new secretary, who looks exactly like his first love but has a different name and age, is a bit suspicious.

    I was really into the show this week and I kinda feel bad about it cause it makes me look flakey with how one week I love this show and the next I don't. Maybe it's cause I changed the way I was watching this show or maybe it's cause our agents actually managed to keep it together and complete a mission which made me proud. It's definitely official now that Seo is a mole in the NIS though I don't think he's working for Myung like I first thought. It actually seems as though he works for that mystery woman and in this scenario it looks like their goals are alined so the woman sent Seo to help Myung. It's also interesting to note that Tak hasn't mentioned to Myung that the NIS is all up in his business even after basically being fired by Myung but more so that Gwan Soo has noticed that Seo is acting strange and is starting to run ops without his direct supervision. I do wish I knew what Seo wanted and whether or not Gwan Soo could go above his head and report to a different boss cause it makes me anxious that every mission our team takes could be ruined cause Seo is being sketchy. Speaking of Gwan Soo, it was totally lame that the bullet that he was shot with ended up just grazing him rather than hitting him and I'm sitting here like so at point blank range that female assassin missed? Chan Mi needs to figure out that Seo is the reason for all this sketchiness sooner rather than later especially with how Ye Eun is getter closer to realizing that her baby daddy was killed on a mission run by Chan Mi. In other news I still don't understand the point of Seok Ho cause he's clearly being set up as a love interest but I'm over here shipping Gwan Soo and Chan Mi and thinking that Seok Ho unless he's involved with all this is kinda just taking up airtime.
    Hospital Playlist Season 1 (10/12): A drama depicting the stories of people going through their days that seemingly ordinary but actually special, at the hospital, a place known as the microcosm of life - where someone is being born and someone's life meets their ending. The five doctors are long time friends of 20 years who started their undergrad in 1999 in the same medical school, and now they are colleagues in the same hospital. The drama will also deal with a story of a band formed by the group of doctors.

    I really wish this show would dial down the Gyeo Wool and Jung Won stuff cause no matter how much I watch of it, I don't ship the two and so all the air time for their will they won't they is lost on me. I did think for a second though that maybe Gyeo Wool would fall for Ik Jun instead just cause of the way she looked at him after he gave her roses but there's enough love hexagons in this show that we don't need another! I mean Ik Jun and Chi Yong both like Song Hwa and maybe Seok Hyung does too but I'm still waiting to see where Song Hwa lands cause I'd prefer her with Chi Yong but something about how she rushed over to Ik Jun's house to take care of his son was really sweet. He all but confessed later too when he mentioned how eating with her is the way he treats himself! Other confessions came from Min Ha who confessed to Seok Hyung out of the blue and it looked like she stunned him completely but I have a feeling that he'll end up dating her soon enough cause he seems like the kind of guy who would fall for a girl after she told him she liked him not to mention the fact that Min Ha is a catch! Jung Won also actually made me tear up this week cause there's just something so earnest and adorable about how much he loves the kids he takes care of and I'm really over his old maybe I want to be a priest thing especially since unlike in The Beauty Inside, I can't buy that love is the reason that he would give up the church. It'd make more sense if he did it for his love for his patients. It's also interesting to note that Seok Hyung's mom was all ready for the divorce but then Seok Hyung's dad had a heart attack the morning of the court date and now she's back to not wanting a divorce cause it made her realize that she still loves him.
    Oh My Baby (2/16): Aged 39, Jang Ha Ri is the ultimate workaholic. She hasn’t even had a boyfriend in the past decade, long ago decided to forget about looking for love, and instead has thrown her energy into her career. However, as she works as a senior reporter for a parenting magazine named “The Baby,” she is constantly reminded of the one thing she wants most in life – to have a baby of her own. She decides to cut to the chase and try for a baby but wants to skip one key stage – and resolves not to marry. But as she turns her mind to single parenthood, she suddenly realizes that she is surrounded by admirers: freelance photographer Han Yi Sang, super-smart pediatrician Yoon Jae Young, and the office newbie, the doting Choi Kang Eu Ddeum. Could any of these three love candidates help Jang Ha Ri in her quest to become a mother? And could her quest inadvertently send her on the path to true love?

    Okay here's the thing about this drama: I really don't love the concept of it but I adore Jang Na Ra so I wanted to give this show a shot anyway. After watching these two episodes I am feeling better about the whole thing though I wish the show would stop commenting on Ha Ri's age cause it seriously gets tiring after a while. She's 39 not 60! The other weird thing is that Ha Ri is so adamant about having a baby but it's like adopt one if you can't have one cause there's plenty of babies out there looking for a good home but I feel like in kdramas that's just not done so instead we've got Ha Ri running from one place to another bemoaning her spinsterhood. It's also just so cringe-y how open she is about her desperation and like it was one thing to do it with her coworkers but when she basically told Yi Sang her whole life story when they're barely even acquaintances, I don't know how she does it! Speaking of, I'm already in love with Yi Sang as who I think is our male lead cause he's charming as hell but it's also kind of hilarious how head over heels he is for Ha Ri when he doesn't even know her yet. Jae Young is fun too but the more important thing is how adorable his baby is. I do think it's a little weird how he just leaves her alone in the house to run errands and stuff and I'm sitting here like I know you don't want to carry that baby around all the time on set but at least give a reason for why she's disappeared. The third male lead hasn't had much airtime yet but he's a baby compared to Ha Ri so I doubt that he'll have much of a role other than a quiet fanboy in the background which honestly I'm fine with. 
    Soul Mechanic/Fix You (8/32): How do you deal with anger? Where does happiness actually come from? These questions are at the heart of Fix You, a touching drama about a quirky psychiatrist on a mission to help people heal, and a rising star whose emotional wounds run deep. Lee Si Joon is an eccentric but passionate psychiatrist working in a hospital. He cares deeply for his patients, whom he tries to help through valiant, yet often unorthodox efforts. Han Woo Joo is an up and coming musical actress. Honest and principled, her efforts on the stage seem to be paying off, but she struggles with anger issues and recurring mental breakdowns that threaten to derail her career. With compassion as his tool, can Lee Si Joon help mend her soul and let the healing begin?

    Man oh man do I adore this show! I was worried last week with how pissed I was with Si Joon as a doctor but after having a week to get past my anger, I'm mostly over it now and am looking forward. This week was crazy cause we learned that Woo Joo not only has IED but also borderline personality disorder which I know we were told about last week but her symptoms didn't appear until this week. According to Google, BPD is a form of mental illness in which you are terrified of abandonment and so sometimes you'll do things to leave first or you'll do things to catch someone else's attention. It's clear that Woo Joo after being abandoned by her birth parents and being sent from one foster home to another will do things like cutting herself or burning a house down or jumping in front of car to make sure that the people she wants attention from will give it to her and that breaks my heart. Part of me is wondering why Si Joon is treating her so casually cause it's not like she's being admitted into the hospital cause it's not an emergency case but they're also not having therapy sessions like outpatients do. It's especially terrible of him cause she's too far in for him to back out now. Part of me is also wondering why Yong Won recommended her to Si Joon cause I would think that sending a BPD patient to a male doctor would be a big no no cause what if she latches onto the man who's kind to her? I wouldn't entirely mind if the two got together but with how realistically this show is treating mental illness, it feels more squicky to watch a doctor fall in love with his patient than a show like Kill Me Heal Me where the doctor/patient thing is kinda fantastical so I need Si Joon to not be her doctor first. I understand that a patient's death is a scary thing but like practically killing yourself after losing a patient 8 years ago is not normal especially for a doctor so there must be something else going on. The fact that he has such a problem with treating BPD on top of that makes me wonder if he's got it or if the patient who died all those years ago had it. 

      xoxo Allie

      No comments:

      Post a Comment