Monday, June 28, 2021

Spring 2021 Anime Awards

Hey guys! The Spring 2021 Anime Season has officially come to a close this week and I have to say that this season absolutely killed with the content we got! So much was so good that I don't even know how I'm going to break it all down!

Anime Of The Season

Fruits Basket Season 3 is my pick for the anime of the season and like part of felt like this was cheating cause it's a sequel but after everything that I experienced with this show, I couldn't help but place it at the top anyway! Season 3 finally answered questions that I had for decades and it wrapped up the story in the most perfect way. Every single person in this show got the ending they deserved and though I do wish that we had the full 25 episode season that other seasons did, I still was content. I love that this is a story of abuse and learning to forgive whether that's someone who wronged you or your own self. The writer of this show did an absolutely incredible job telling real world stories through magic and curses without making you roll your eyes at the metaphors or thinking that it was too much. This show will forever go on my favorite anime of all time list!

Runner Up - 86 Eighty Six

Hidden Gem 

The Saint's Magic Power Is Omnipotent is the hidden gem of the season and I picked it over any other show I watched this season cause I think literally no one watched this one other than me and I think that sucks. I mean yeah there were a ton of better anime this season and it's another isekai which I know a lot of people hate but something about this show was just so cute. I loved the world that it built and the main romance that formed between Sei and Hawke and it was enough to keep me coming back for more each and every week.

Runner Up - Koikimo

Best Sequel 

Fruits Basket Season 3 is definitely the best sequel of this season and like there wasn't even any competition. Of course My Hero Academia was up there but while that show was sort of dawdling towards what I think will the better second half, Season 3 of Fruits Basket was no holds barred insanity. I loved the way it finally gave us the real story of the original banquet and the way we finally saw the curses break even if part of me still doesn't actually know what the trigger was. The ending was so bittersweet cause while I loved it I was also sad to leave our characters behind! Every single character went on this amazing arc in which they grew into their best selves and it was so lovely to think back to how they were when we first met them back in season 1!

Runner Up - My Hero Academia Season 5

Greatest Animation/Character Design

Vivy - Fluorite Eye's Song had the best animation this season hands down. I wasn't the biggest fan of this show in terms of story and the ending definitely bored me enough that I barely paid attention to it but I can't knock it for the fact that it was most beautifully animated show of this season. I loved the way we would have these super detailed close ups in order to highlight a point that a character was making or have us see that a character was touched or emotionally affected. The fights were beautifully depicted as well!

Runner Up - Pretty Boy Detective Club

Best OP 

Pleasure by Warp's Up from Fruits Basket Season 3 is definitely my favorite OP of the season. It's the first Fruits Basket OP that's sung by a male band rather than a female artist and I wonder if it's cause our male characters all grew more confident in themselves. The JPOP sound fit so well with the thunder that started the OP and I loved the lyrics!

Runner Up - 

Protagonist Of The Season

Vladilena "Lena" MilizĂ© from 86 Eighty Six is my protagonist of the season cause I am still stunned by the arc she went through in 86. Like I went back and forth so many times wondering if 86 should be my anime of the season but in the end Fruits Basket was just too perfect to not win so I thought that at least if Lena wins best protagonist I won't be too saddened! The interesting thing about Lena is that when I started this show I really expected her to be the typical spoiled naive female lead in most of these types of shows that claims to fight the power out of a sense of morality but never acts as anything more than a lovesick puppy or a damsel in distress. To my surprise Lena not only carried so much of this show but she might also have been the only one to leave it alive. I loved that we saw that she wasn't perfect at the start from the way she treated the 86 as different than dogs but then also accidentally didn't treat them as human either. She literally blackmailed her so-called best friend into doing something illegal and saving the 86 with bombs knowing that they needed her and that she wouldn't get more of a slap on the wrist for breaking the rules. 

Runner Up - Tohru Honda from Fruits Basket

Antagonist(s) Of The Season

Akito Sohma from Fruits Basket Season 3 is my antagonist of the season and I'm glad that this category is antagonist and not villain cause at the end of the day Akito while being one of the best written characters in Fruits Basket was also another victim of the Sohma family and their curse. I never expected to end my watch of Fruits Basket feeling sorry for Akito or seeing her as anything more than the devil after watching her revel in hurting others both emotionally and physically but like Akito said herself she's atoning not being redeemed. I always hate the idea of redemption of villains cause it always makes it feel like they've got nothing to feel sorry or guilty about but by Akito atoning she is acknowledging that she did wrong before and that the others have the right to accept or push her away on their own. 

Runner Up - The Republic of San Magnolia

Ship Of The Season

Kyo and Tohru from Fruits Basket Season 3 are my ship of the season and like really was there any other competition?? The best thing about Fruits Basket is how clearly it depicts relationships both platonic and romantic and how unlike in other shows how clear it is why characters feel the way they do about one another. Kyo was the only person in Tohru's life who she was open with and who helped her rather than having her help him and she provided him a sense of belonging and home. The episode where Kyo told her about Kyoko was heartbreaking but I loved that Tohru used it to prove that she could be selfish too and that her love for him was more important than anything else. I loved that he chased her down after the hospital and begged for one more chance promising that he would never need another one since he'd treat her so well. I loved that she didn't hesitate for a second to agree to leaving with him and I definitely think the two are going to live the most happily ever after. 

Runner Up - Ichika and Ryou from Koikimo


And with that I'll see you all in the Summer 2021 Season!!

xoxo Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment