Saturday, July 3, 2021

What Dramas Am I Watching This Week?

Let's get into what I'm watching this week! Of course the list is split by country and the amount of episodes I've seen so far are written below! There will be spoilers from now on so if you aren't caught to the episode number on list, you might want to go watch that episode and then come back! If you're interested in previous reviews, click here and if you want to see a list of my Favorite Asian OTPs and Ships, click here!

KDRAMA


FINISHED Doom At Your Service (16/16): Tak Dong Kyung has been working hard ever since her parents passed away. Her life seemed more stable after working as an web novel editor for 6 years, but then she gets diagnosed with a brain cancer. She blames her unlucky life and wishes to curse everything to disappear, which unintentionally calls Myeol Mang, a messenger between humans and gods, to appear. He says that he can grant her wishes. As her last hope, she makes a contract with Myeol Mang for a hundred days to live how she wants, risking her everything.

So the finale for this show aired this week and I'm torn about it. When I first started this show I was so wrapped up in the incredible cinematography and chemistry between our leads that I thought that it was perfection but as the show went on I started to see more and more cracks in the writing. Now don't get me wrong there are tons of shows that I've adored despite writing failures but that have had great couples come out of them but I'm not sure what it was about these two that just didn't emotionally grab me outside of oh they're cute. Maybe I should just stop following fandoms and the hype that surround them since without a doubt they never seem to add to my enjoyment of a show. All that rambling nonsense to say that I was mostly just indifferent to this finale. We spent a large chunk of it with Dong Kyung mourning Myeol Mang and in the end it was like I thought and cause Myeol Mang died he was reborn as a human. The Deity was even kind enough to keep him in Dong Kyung's friends and family's memories and left him his house. I thought it was honestly hilarious that he became a doctor cause apparently he got a medical degree at some point in his endless time on Earth but the best part was definitely when he met Hyun Gu and the two instantly clicked and what I would give to see that show!! I was surprised that the show didn't end with Dong Kyung and Myeol Mang married but I guess all's well that ends well. I'd give this show a 7 / 10.
Imitation (9/12)
: Lee Ma Ha is a member of the new K-pop girl group Tea Party, formed by Ji Hak, who was once the manager of the famous boy group Shax, but resigned after the sudden disappearance of member Eun Jo in the middle of a concert. Prior to joining Tea Party, Ma Ha was a member of the group Omega III, which disbanded on its debut day due to a tragic incident involving a former trainee at the group's company. This led Ma Ha to support herself by performing as an impersonator of the popular solo singer La Li Ma, gaining her public notoriety. Starting anew with Tea Party, Ma Ha finds herself repeatedly crossing paths with Kwon Ryok, the center and most popular member of Shax who is still haunted by Eun Jo's disappearance three years later. While Ryok initially dislikes Ma Ha due to her imitation of Li Ma, the two eventually begin to grow interested in one another and start a secret relationship that could put both of their careers in jeopardy. Meanwhile, Lee Yu Jin, Ma Ha's loyal friend who is the center of the rising boy group Sparkling, has been in love with Ma Ha since their idol trainee days. When he notices the budding relationship between Ma Ha and Ryok, he determines to protect her from Ryok and lead Sparkling to beat out Shax as the most popular boy group in the industry.

This is me showing up here five hours late with a Starbucks cup in my hand ready to apologize for what an idiot I was last week. I don't know if I was just in a bad mood that day or if I was projecting what I think about the kpop idol industry in general onto poor Ma Ha and Ryok but I'll be the first to say that I was completely and utterly wrong about everything I was pissed about last week. Ma Ha wasn't upset with Ryok and in fact she completely understood why he was breaking up with her and agreed with it. I don't love that Ri Ma was egging Ryok on about how he should have known what he was getting into before dating cause part of me knows that Ryok's CEO is no pushover but the rest of me kinda agrees with her too cause he's a veteran by now so like he should have known dating was no joke. I still do love Ri Ma to pieces though and I really worry about the fact that NOG wants to buy her and the CEO clearly hinted that his henchman should destroy her reputation so she can be bought dirt cheap. I wonder if this whole show will end with her joining Tea Party's entertainment company? I did like seeing Tea Party slowly rise up in the ranks of kpop though cause I do always enjoy that part of this show more than the romance half the time.
My Roommate Is A Gumiho (12/16)
: Shin Woo Yeo is a handsome and smart professor. He is also a 999-year-old nine-tailed fox. To become a human, he collects human energy in a bead. Soon, he is set to become a human. Meanwhile, Lee Dam is a university student. One day, her drunk friend falls asleep on top of an expensive car. She apologizes to Shin Woo Yeo, who is the car owner. While Lee Dam struggles to take her friend away, Shin Woo Yeo gives her a hand. An accident happens that changes their fate. Shin Woo Yeo's bead falls out of his mouth, and Lee Dam unintentionally swallows it. The bead can exist inside of a human for no more than 1 year and, afterwards, the bead will break inside of that person. This will cause Lee Dam to die, and Shin Woo Yeo will lose his chance to become a human. Shin Woo Yeo explains to Lee Dam their predicament and suggests that they should live together until they figure out a solution. Lee Dam, who has never had a boyfriend in her life, now lives with Shin Woo Yeo.

The absolute most annoying thing about most modern fantasy rom coms is that there's always some sort of ticking time clock on our leads in which one will die and I really wish they would stop doing it cause I'm honestly so sick and tired of it. It's also exhausting that couples never actually tell each other the truth cause god forbid they actually communicate and cut out misunderstandings. Why can't Woo Yeo tell Dam that he only has a little while to his 1000 years on this Earth and if he doesn't turn human by then he will die so he needs to take the energy from others? It's also really annoying of this show to do this red string of fate storyline which I worried about last week but I definitely hate it now. Sun Woo is one of the worst types of second male leads where he just can't take no for an answer. How many times and how many ways does Dam need to say that she likes someone else and she doesn't want to date him?? I don't care if he thinks that she's dating the devil himself it's none of his goddamn business!! The ironic thing is that she is starting to fall for him despite knowing it's the string that's leading her to him but at the same time I think it's important that Hye Sun mentioned that the string is just one path you can take cause humans can choose their own destiny. Speaking of the highlight of this week was definitely Hye Sun and Jae Jin. I was living for how he thought they slept together but their fake dating was everything too!!

xoxo Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment