Saturday, July 17, 2021

What Dramas Am I Watching This Week?

Let's get into what I'm watching this week! Of course the list is split by country and the amount of episodes I've seen so far are written below! There will be spoilers from now on so if you aren't caught to the episode number on list, you might want to go watch that episode and then come back! If you're interested in previous reviews, click here and if you want to see a list of my Favorite Asian OTPs and Ships, click here!

KDRAMA


Imitation (11/12)
: Lee Ma Ha is a member of the new K-pop girl group Tea Party, formed by Ji Hak, who was once the manager of the famous boy group Shax, but resigned after the sudden disappearance of member Eun Jo in the middle of a concert. Prior to joining Tea Party, Ma Ha was a member of the group Omega III, which disbanded on its debut day due to a tragic incident involving a former trainee at the group's company. This led Ma Ha to support herself by performing as an impersonator of the popular solo singer La Li Ma, gaining her public notoriety. Starting anew with Tea Party, Ma Ha finds herself repeatedly crossing paths with Kwon Ryok, the center and most popular member of Shax who is still haunted by Eun Jo's disappearance three years later. While Ryok initially dislikes Ma Ha due to her imitation of Li Ma, the two eventually begin to grow interested in one another and start a secret relationship that could put both of their careers in jeopardy. Meanwhile, Lee Yu Jin, Ma Ha's loyal friend who is the center of the rising boy group Sparkling, has been in love with Ma Ha since their idol trainee days. When he notices the budding relationship between Ma Ha and Ryok, he determines to protect her from Ryok and lead Sparkling to beat out Shax as the most popular boy group in the industry.

This episode was seriously heartbreaking cause we finally got the story of Eun Jo and Annie and it was just as horrible as I suspected. Omega 3's shitty CEO tried to pimp out Annie but when she refused to play along he threatened her with Eun Jo so she decided the only way out was to kill herself and I'm seriously furious about the whole thing. I also get completely why Eun Jo doesn't want to get revenge or let the world know what happened to her but at the same time by turning a blind eye he's basically helping the people who killed her. I thought it was super sweet that Ryok and Ma Ha decided to make Eun Jo and Annie's song into a song but I don't entirely know what their plan is cause I originally thought that maybe they'd make it into a duet between the two of them but now it might be a shared performance by SHAX and Tea Party? I did enjoy that the two were a team this week and I was thrilled when Li Ma joined JH Entertainment like I thought she would though it feels like JH is going to have to relocate to a bigger location now that Li Ma and all those trainees will be working too!
FINISHED My Roommate Is A Gumiho (16/16): Shin Woo Yeo is a handsome and smart professor. He is also a 999-year-old nine-tailed fox. To become a human, he collects human energy in a bead. Soon, he is set to become a human. Meanwhile, Lee Dam is a university student. One day, her drunk friend falls asleep on top of an expensive car. She apologizes to Shin Woo Yeo, who is the car owner. While Lee Dam struggles to take her friend away, Shin Woo Yeo gives her a hand. An accident happens that changes their fate. Shin Woo Yeo's bead falls out of his mouth, and Lee Dam unintentionally swallows it. The bead can exist inside of a human for no more than 1 year and, afterwards, the bead will break inside of that person. This will cause Lee Dam to die, and Shin Woo Yeo will lose his chance to become a human. Shin Woo Yeo explains to Lee Dam their predicament and suggests that they should live together until they figure out a solution. Lee Dam, who has never had a boyfriend in her life, now lives with Shin Woo Yeo.

So the finale for this show aired this week and I cannot explain for the life of me why I started out shipping the main couple so hard only to end up liking them less and less as the show went on. I can pinpoint the exact moment though and it was right around the red string of fate/breakup arc and I can't help but think that maybe it was due to how much I hated the writing of their relationship and characters from that moment on. I ended up finishing this show entirely for the secondary couple of Jae Jin and Hye Sun who did not get nearly enough screen time to be cute in my opinion. Maybe it's just a matter of my preference of soft male leads? It also really doesn't help that this entire finale was one cliche after another. I mean of course Woo Yeo's powers start flickering and of course they all get excited thinking he's about to become human but in fact it's a sign of his disappearance and of course he disappears but comes back cause of "true love." Ugh hard pass. I do suppose it's cute that Dam's brother and Sun Woo's sister are going to date in the place of them and I kinda liked the twist that Dam's friend was into Jae Jin as a freshman but was caught by the guy she's actually going to end up with. All in all I guess I'd give this show a 6.5 / 10.

xoxo Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment