Monday, September 27, 2021

Summer 2021 Anime Awards

Hey guys! The Summer 2021 Anime Season has officially come to a close this week and I have to say that this season was definitely one of the weaker ones so unlike the previous ones where I struggled to choose from many good options, this season I struggled to choose from many poor choices.

(Original) Anime Of The Season

Tokyo Revengers is my pick for the anime of the season which is probs no surprise to anyone that watched this show. Technically this is a show that aired over two seasons but I think that since it finished airing in Summer 2021 that it fit into this season! Every week when I was watching the new episodes I was always left shocked when the 30 minutes flew by cause it never felt long enough and if that's not clearly evidence of how much I loved this show then I don't know what is! I loved the idea of this show being about a weakling who time travels to infiltrate a gang to save the love of his life and whereas from a distance it looks like he gets lucky every time he succeeds with a mission, if you look closer you can see how his kind nature and loyalty effects all those around him into doing what he wants them to do. I also think it's fun that he can jump back and forth through time so that he can make small changes and jump ahead to see how they worked out before going back again to fix whatever else he needs to. 

Runner Up - The Case Study Of Vanitas

Hidden Gem 

The Aquatope On White Sand is my pick for hidden gem of the season. I feel like people are both watching and not watching this show enough cause those who are see it's potential but I don't hear a lot about it. I think part of the thing is that it's such a quiet show that takes a look at dreams and how far a person should go to chase them rather than something with big action or a widespread world. I love the setting and the characters and I'm so excited to see where the show takes us from here cause the big thing that I thought the show was about seems to be fading away. 

Runner Up - Peach Boy Riverside

Best Sequel 

My Next Life As A Villainess: All Routes Lead To Doom Season 2 is definitely the best sequel of this season and honestly it had no competition with how poorly the other sequel this season did in my opinion. The funny thing about this show is the fact that I didn't realize how much I was going to enjoy this sequel until I was almost halfway through. I did really enjoy the first season of this show but I was a little confused about where this second season would go cause like most reverse harems I didn't expect Katarina to ever actually choose a person from her harem to love not to mention the fact that I thought that Katarina was too dumb to realize that any of her harem loved her in the first place which is why I was shocked as all hell to see that both Gerald and Keith confessed. The shipper in me that ships Katarine and Gerald was so fed and that might be part of the reason this season worked so hard for me! I also really liked all the storylines we got from Katarina's kidnapping to Nicol's possible future love interest to Keith's kidnapping and I can't wait for more!

Runner Up - My Hero Academia Season 5

Greatest Animation/Character Design

The Case Study Of Vanitas had the best animation this season. I absolutely adored the bright colors and the fantastical world the show built but I also adored the way it went from sweeping to chibi in moments that the show wanted to bring special attention to! I loved that there was a human world and a magical world and that the show very clearly showed us which one was which through color!

Runner Up - Tsukimichi Moonlit Fantasy

Best OP 

Merry Go Round by Man With A Mission from My Hero Academia Season 5 is definitely my favorite OP of the season. I swear I listened to it a million times even if part of me felt like it didn't really vibe with the second half of this season once the villain arc came around! 

Runner Up - Andante ni Koi wo Shite by Angela from My Next Life As A Villainess: All Routes Lead To Doom Season 2

Protagonist(s) Of The Season

Noé and Vanitas from The Story Of Vanitas are actually my protagonists of the season and maybe that's cheating cause I picked two but that's how I feel! Noé and Vanitas are close friends who respect and look out for each other but would die before saying anything other than they hate each other and honestly the show would not be the same without the two bouncing off of each other. They're almost direct opposites of one another on the surface but as the show slowly peels back layer after layer of our leads we learnt that they might be two sides of the same coin after all. Both seem to be goofy and laid back but hide dark sides and dark backstories. 

Runner Up - Kukuru Misakino from The Aquatope On White Sand

Antagonist(s) Of The Season

Tetta Kisaki from Tokyo Revengers is my antagonist of the season and there was no competition in my eyes. Kisaki was fascinating cause when this show started we didn't actually know who he was or how much he would be affecting the lives of every character we cared about but as the show went on we saw that not only did he have his hand in almost every pie but he was also the puppetmaster. Every horrible thing that happened in this show was connected back to him and once we got the whole picture I couldn't help but salute him for how well thought out and planned it was. Every piece fell into place perfectly even despite the fact that time travel was involved!

Runner Up - League Of Villains from My Hero Academia

Ship Of The Season

Katarina and Geordo from My Next Life As A Villainess: All Routes Lead To Doom Season 2 are my ship of the season and this second season really did keep us fed! I honestly do think if and when this show ends that these two will be endgame and that's not just my hope given that Geordo is my favorite of Katarina's harem! I mean beyond the fact that I'm just a sucker for tropes in which arranged marriages or fake dating leads to real love, I really love that Katarina was the one to bring light to Geordo's world and that he would literally give her the moon if she asked for it. They have kissed so many times now and I adore how flustered Katarina gets every time and yet she doesn't exactly pull away or is horrified by it like she was with Keith!

Runner Up - Sally and Mikoto from Peach Boy Riverside


And with that I'll see you all in the Fall 2021 Season!!

xoxo Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment