Saturday, October 2, 2021

What Dramas Did I Finish This Week?

Hello and welcome back! These are the dramas I finished this week. If you're interested in previous reviews, click here and if you want to see a list of my Favorite Asian OTPs and Ships, click here!

KDRAMA


FINISHED
 
Argon (8/8): Kim Baek Jin is a popular anchor, reporter, and leader of investigative reporting program Argon. He does not tolerate unverified reports and requires facts he can personally stand behind. He also demands this standard of journalistic integrity from his team, who often call him "the Psycho" behind his back. After Kim Baek Jin's team reports on a story that Argon's broadcast station's higher-ups disapprove of, the program is bumped to the midnight slot and Kim loses of his senior reporter. Lee Yeon Hwa is a rookie contract reporter who's assigned to the team to replace him, and she works hard as she's always looked up to Kim Baek Jin as a role model from afar. The team at Argon grows through many trials as they struggle to tell true and meaningful news stories that the public needs to hear—all while the broadcast company tries to undermine their goals at every turn.

I decided to check out this show pretty much cause I saw it on Netflix and I was actually really blown away by this show and how it was clearly everything Hush that kdrama about reporters from earlier this year wanted to be. I wonder if it's expert writing and tight story can be linked to it's shorter episode count cause that meant there was no time to dawdle around. I really enjoyed that the show actually focused on reporting and the news rather than the politics of the media cause I've seen a million of those types of shows and the only show about reporting that I had watched to this day that was actually about reporting was Pinocchio even if that one was a little more rose-colored than the world actually is. All that to say that there was some politics in this show but it felt like the perfect amount. I really enjoyed all of the main characters and I especially loved that Yeon Hwa was super competent and badass cause she actually was able to bring news stories behind her drive and for once it was totally obvious why a veteran like Baek Jin would approve of her outside of her being the female lead (I'm looking at you Hush and the extremely childish female lead.) The ending didn't actually answer all of our questions or wrap things in a nice bow but I guess it makes sense since the world isn't perfect. 9.5 / 10

xoxo Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment