Saturday, January 25, 2014

Reign Season 1 Episode 9 Review

Alright then! Now onto my post on Reign!!! So when I saw the previews, I knew this was going to be a very sad episode for me because I am a Frary shipper and the promos were very Mary/Bash centric. I don't even know their ship name.... But I kept an open mind and leapt into the episode. Overall the episode was very sad but also very creative. I really enjoyed the plot twist and the turn the show is taking although I don't completely agree with it! Now if you haven't seen this episode, come back when you have! Spoilers ahead!

Okay so this entire episode revolved around Bash and Mary as I stated before with slight tones of Francis. The episode started with Bash and Mary being captured fairly quickly. They returned to the castle and Mary was confronted by Francis but she stayed strong and refused to fall for Francis's adorable speech. Catherine came to her and was angry that she returned. According to her, Henry was never going to let her go again because he wants England. And that is true. Henry gives Mary an ultimatum, either she marries Francis or he kills Bash. Mary decides that the only way to save both and leave would be to tell Francis the truth although Catherine is very against it.

Francis thinks that the prophecy is nothing but superstition (as it should be) and wishes Mary would let him make his own decisions. Her mother is also not on her side. Scotland wishes to rule England as well. Distraught and at her wit's end, Mary offers another way out to the king. She tells him that she wants Bash to be legitimized and made heir to the throne and then she will marry him and they will rule France, England and Scotland together. Henry is intrigued but does not think it will work because Catherine will not agree to an annulment which is the only method to legitimize Bash.

Francis learns of the offer and rushes off to the dungeons and gets into a fight with Bash about Mary only to be interrupted by Mary herself. She begs him to calm down and tells him that marrying Bash was her idea and he only knew of the prophecy. Francis tells Mary how much he loves her and wishes that she would see past her stubbornness. Catherine devises of a plan to kill both Mary and Bash so that Francis will stay heir to the throne and alive. Unfortunately for her, Henry is already five steps ahead. He agrees to Mary's conditions because he's always liked Bash and Diane better than Francis and Catherine and because he wants England.

The line of succession after Bash would still be the same as long as Bash and Mary have no children which leads to Catherine's plans being unveiled in front of the court. Francis tells Catherine that if any harm were to befall Mary, Bash or Henry, he would know it was due to Catherine and as his first act as king, he would execute her for treason. Catherine gives in and tries to escape the castle as she's afraid that Henry will kill her to avoid her interfering with his plans but Henry locks her up. Mary and Bash share a conversation about becoming the next rulers and she comforts him while he looks to be in a daze at the idea that they will marry as soon as Henry returns from Rome where he will try to convince the pope of the change in line.

Now that the recap is out of the way, my thoughts! So I really hate stupid Nostradamus and his stupid prophecies! I don't want Bash and Mary to marry. I don't want them to rule. I don't want them to fall in love. But at the same time, I loved their interactions in this episode. I really like their friendship and how much they are willing to sacrifice to save Francis. I also think this plot twist of Bash becoming king is really interesting and I'm sure it will result in many fun storylines. But Francis's stupid adorable face was so sad in this episode! I almost cried for him in that scene in the throne room where he tells Mary of the future he saw with her and how once he was jealous of Bash's freedom!

Honestly, I think that Frary is endgame. I think Francis will stay heir to the throne and I think they will marry one day. I think that all of this Bash stuff is just a roadblock for them. Honestly I do love Bash's character but just not with Mary. I don't really understand the "love triangle" in this show. There really isn't one! Mary loves Francis and sees Bash as a friend and a way to save the man she loves. Maybe they'll make Bash/Mary's relationship grow as the episodes continue. But if that happens, I think we need to learn a little more about Bash as a person first. His character is supposed to be the bad boy but we haven't seen it. He's honestly just Francis's hotter older half-brother.

Okay so overall, loved the episode but hated that it destroyed all my Frary feels. I will stay positive though. I can wait. I waited two and a half seasons for Klaroline so I can wait for Frary to finally be together. And possibly watch a lot of Frary Youtube videos... Don't judge me. And that's all for today!!! Have a wonderful Friday!

xoxo Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment