Monday, July 7, 2014

The Originals by Cat Patrick Thoughts

Hey all!! I'm back with another book review!!! I just finished reading The Originals by Cat Patrick and let me just say, GOOSEBUMPS. I really enjoyed this book. It was a creative idea and Cat Patrick is an amazing writer! The synopsis is below.

Lizzie, Ella, and Betsey Best grew up believing they were identical triplets. Then they learned the truth... and no one else can know. Now, to the outside world, the Best family appears to consist of a single mother with one seventeen-year-old daughter named Elizabeth. Lizzie, Ella, and Betsey take turns going to school, pursuing extracurriculars, and even dating. Then Lizzie meets Sean Kelly, the one person who can help her realize she's not a carbon copy of the others - she's an individual with unique dreams and desires. Digging deeper into her background and her mother's role in her life, Lizzie begins to dismantle the delicate balance of an unusual family that only science could have created.

Let's talk characters first. Lizzie was a really good protagonist. She was likablewilling to be different and to follow what she genuinely believes in rather that just going along with whatever people tell her to do. While it's true that she was a bit too dramatic in certain situations, she had this never ending persistence. Betsey and Ella were fun characters too although I liked Betsey a little more. Ella for being described as fearless, was a very cautious person. She was also kind of selfish in that she didn't mind being a third of a person as long as she got everything she wanted. Betsey was sweet and caring and an ideal sister. She wanted to do what was best for her sisters but also wanted to be independent.

The dynamics between the sisters were also great. They were clones, but they each have their own personality, and while they do fight, they're sisters above all. The three understand the importance of their secrecy, but they support each other when each decides to rebel, and they work together effectively. There are no huge fights or backstabbing, they are truly a team. I loved how they make the relationships work. I understood the pain of one as they're forced to date only one person, for the sake of appearing to be one person.

Sean is the love interest and he was also a great character. He is independent, caring and can be empathetic. He does lean towards a constantly jealous person but eventually, with his everlasting empathy, Sean still turns to be a loveable supporting character.

I really enjoyed the plot of the novel because like I said before, it was a creative one and I can definitely say that I've never read anything like this. The book made me feel for these girls and I hated their "mom." Not only was she super controlling but she was "observing" them to write a paper later on. I was sitting there and hoping that the girls would do something about it earlier than they did. I hated when Lizzie defended her mom to Sean although I guess she could have been a worse mom.

Besides the mom, I thought the ending was a little rushed. Much of the book fleshed out the romance and the coming of age story and just when the book got good, it was over. The reveal was kind of a  let down. And there's one inconsistency that I just can't get out of my head. If they were in trouble of being found out, why couldn't they have just dyed their hair and gotten three identities all those years ago? Why decide to act like one person?

Other than those few things, I did really enjoy the book! In fact, I'd give it a 4/5 stars. I definitely think you should check it out. I'm excited about Cat Patrick's writing style and I can't wait to check out Forgotten and Revival!!

xoxo Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment