Sunday, June 22, 2014

What the Spell by Brittany Geragotelis Review

Hey all! So I just recently finished reading a book called "What the Spell" by Brittany Geragotelis. The book revolves around a sixteen year old girl named Brooklyn. Here's the synopsis: 

Almost-sixteen-year-old Brooklyn feels invisible, but she desperately wants to be pretty, to be popular, to be adored by a cute guy. Luckily for her, she’s a witch about to come of age—so she’s only a few spells away from making it all happen. On her milestone birthday, Brooklyn’s conservative parents finally unbind her powers. This newfound freedom leads to a spell-assisted makeover, entree into the cool clique, and the attention of her longtime crush, Asher. Even better, Brooklyn discovers her true power: the ability to magically match couples with a love spell. But Brooklyn’s quest for popularity is not without its price. As the clique escalates their initiation tests and she relies on her powers to complete the tasks, Brooklyn finds herself in the same precarious position as her Salem ancestors: if she’s found out, she could be vilified—and lose Asher in the process. Can she make the most of her magic, or will she be luckless and loveless? Be careful what you witch for!

So I was hoping this book would be really good because I have a special place in my heart for witches. The plot was iffy because I didn't care for Brooklyn doing a makeover on herself but I hoped more of the book revolved around witches and casting spells. But instead I got a book about a girl who completely changes her appearance and spends the entire book chasing popularity which is overrated. There will be spoilers below so leave now if you haven't read this book!!! 

Okay so I understand the whole makeover thing because plenty of girls do this but she didn't just change her hair color or get new clothes. She literally gave herself a new body complete with new eye color, hair color, boobs, butt and curves. On top of completely becoming a different person, her parents didn't even care. They just told her some story about the Salem Witch Trials and told her not to overuse her powers. Fine I can roll with that. But no one in the school questioned her changes? I mean I know Brooklyn wasn't really noticed but wouldn't the teachers notice or care? 

Then came The Elite aka the popular kids. The entire time I was sitting there rolling my eyes. How was it not completely obvious that they were just using her? And then she was dumb enough to do magic in front of them. Like hello? Didn't you remember ANYTHING your parents warned you about? And the book ends without Brooklyn even trying to fix it. I was expecting her to do a spell to get Gigi's phone and erase the video or something but nope. She just carries on like nothing changed.

Asher and Abby and their parents were probably the only thing I enjoyed about this book. I liked learning about them and their home. The romance was not great for me. It pissed me off that she used magic to make Asher fall for her. I understand the concept but I still don't approve. The entire book Brooklyn kept hiding things from him and there really was no spark that I could see. And when he leaves, she's not really heartbroken like I expected. In fact she barely mentions him when she's talking about how she's going to run the school now. I am curious though about where the entire family went. I feel like either they are the descendants from the Parris line or they were caught doing magic and are in trouble. 

Apparently there are two more books in this series but the main character changes. I'll probably read the next one and if I like the main character then I'll stick with this series otherwise I won't continue. I was disappointed with this book and I'd probably give it 2 stars out of 5. Believe it or not, I have read worse books.... Anyway so those are my thoughts!! Hope you enjoyed them!

xoxo Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment