Friday, April 19, 2019

What Dramas Am I Watching This Week?

So here's what I'm watching this week! Of course the list is split by country and episodes I've seen so far are written below! There will be spoilers from now on so if you aren't caught to the episode number on list, you might want to go watch that episode and then come back! If you're interested in previous lists, click here and if you want to see a list of my favorite asian OTPs and ships, click here!

KDRAMA


Big Issue (24/32): Set within the frenzy world of the paparazzi media. Due to a photograph, Han Seok Joo loses everything, including his job as a photographer for a top newspaper and his family. Ji Soo Hyun is the notorious chief editor of a paparazzi group. She hires the man to become a paparazzi photographer.

Everything seems to be crashing around our leads. Soo Hyun is being threatened by CEO Jo because he's afraid to lose her which is a little funny cause why the hell is he CEO if he can't do anything without her. I mean he went as far as to attack Seok Joo so that he'd get hurt enough that Soo Hyun wouldn't try anything. Honestly it gets to a point where I wonder why in that type of scenario that the leads can't just be honest. If I were Soo Hyun, I would take the wind right out of Jo's sails and tell Seok Joo everything from Dr Kim all the way to current day. I know that it might make Seok Joo hate Soo Hyun but honestly it's not like Jo is going to let Seok Joo and Soo Hyun date anyway so why not really throw him under the bus? Despite everything I didn't really expect our leads to get together this week but it totally makes sense cause not only are we getting to the end of this drama, in the show Soo Hyun went through something terrifying and Seok Joo was pretty much the only one to stay by her side through it all. I did like the twist though that the photo Jo sent to the prosecutor was useless in the end cause I was super pissed that Jo ending up breaking at the end cause if only the asshole had a smidgen more faith in Soo Hyun then we wouldn't have had to watch the stupid prosecutor walk around all smug that he won in separating the two. I still don't know why Sunday can't pressure the higher ups to fire the prosecutor cause that'd fix all the problems! Now the prosecutor is going to be riling up all the others and it's just going to suck for Sunday. It does make me wonder how this show is going to end cause I think there's like two weeks left. Maybe they'll take down Jo and then our leads can go off happy in the end? Or maybe Soo Hyun will take over Sunday and Seok Joo will leave cause he can't forgive her transgressions.
Eulachacha Waikiki 2 (8/16): Lee Joon Ki is an unpopular actor who runs the Waikiki guesthouse. However, business is bad and the guesthouse is facing bankruptcy. In order to revive the guesthouse, Lee Joon Ki asks his friends Cha Woo Shik and Kook Ki Bong to invest their savings in it. Cha Woo Shik is a picky person who dreams of becoming a singer. Kook Ki Bong used to be a promising baseball player, but instead is now stuck playing in the minor leagues. After Lee Joon Ki's request, they all put their money into Waikiki Guesthouse and start living there together. 

It's really funny cause I started out thinking that Ki Bong was mostly just annoying when I first started this show but now he might actually be my favorite character on this show especially after I realized that he's played by the same actor from Age of Youth that I loved. I was almost crying right there alongside him when he realized that he had hurt his shoulder again and would never be able to play baseball again. It's heartbreaking cause that's all he knew how to do and I'm right there with him with wondering what he could do now since it doesn't seem like he can do anything else. I wonder if he'll join Yoo Ri in her restaurant. Like maybe he could be a waiter or something. I also love how Yoo Ri stood up for him against his teammate who was really being such an ass about him and I'm super into their romance. Woo Shik I still like enough especially when he's singing and I thought his whole thing with that gang leader was really funny but I'm still mostly meh about his relationship with Soo Yeon. At the very least I enjoy it more than Joon Ki and Jung Eun which seems to be getting set up this week with Joon Ki being jealous of Jung Eun going away with some other guy and her getting all flustered after he saved her. I know I'm being a little unfair because I know my problem with them is literally that I liked him with Seo Jin last season but I guess that's the struggle with having another season of a show I loved.
He Is Psychometric (12/16): A boy who is able to read the secrets of those whose skin comes into contact with him, and a girl who does everything she can to hide her pain. In the drama, the boy and girl will meet and try to fix, heal, grow, and love from the small and big occurrences that happen in their lives.

I never would have guessed that the whole plot of this show would end up following Seung Mo and his evil father when this show started but that's where we are now. I'm so glad we got so many answers this week and tbh I'm also glad that Jae In's kidnapping didn't go on for more than a few minutes this week cause everything that followed was much more interesting. So like I guessed weeks ago, the creepy dude is Seung Mo's dad and Seung Mo like his dad has problems understanding his emotions. It was just as horrible as I expected with the culprit having kidnapped Seung Mo's mom when she was a child and then grooming her for years and years. It makes a little more sense now why the mom would stay away from Seung Mo cause she probably thought that if the creeper only "loved" her then staying away from Seung Mo would keep the culprit away from him and that way he could live his own life. I still don't love the idea that Seung Mo's one person that he loves is Jae In cause it feels like they barely know each other and I would have preferred that Seung Mo's one person he could feel affection for was Ahn cause I think of all the people in Seung Mo's life, Ahn was the one who showered him with the most love. It's especially weird cause everyone knows that Seung Mo likes Jae In after this week but no one but Ji Soo are shocked. Jae In and Ahn are still going on with their lives like nothing changed and maybe it's just me who expected them to be a little more surprised or worried... We also learned that like I expected Ji Soo's dad covered everything up and honestly what this week showed us was that the police are terrible. He's still trying to pretend like nothing's happening even when the culprit is clearly targeting people in Seung Mo's life and Ji Soo's dad is super going to regret it when Ji Soo gets kidnapped.
Her Private Life (4/16): A romantic comedy about a talented gallery curator named Sung Duk Mi, who is an idol fangirl underneath her professional veneer. Meanwhile, her boss Ryan becomes a passionate fanboy of her. Sung Duk Mi lives a double life as both a gallery curator and a home master for a fansite about Si An, an idol group member. She’s a pro in both aspects of her life, and because of her fangirl dedication, Duk Mi has had to break up with several boyfriends, deciding instead to go all in for her fangirl activities instead of dating. Ryan is a new director at the gallery where Duk Mi works. Once a painter, Ryan was a sensation in the art world from his debut to his retirement, and is now seeing career success as a director. An individualist through and through, Ryan comes to find out about Duk Mi’s double life.

Ahh I was totally not expecting a fake dating situation in this show but I'm super down cause I love fake relationships where the love becomes real. It's extra fun cause Ryan seems to be head over heels for Deok Mi already and even if he isn't and I'm reading it wrong, then he's actually just a really good guy despite the cold front he tries to put out. I thought it was super sweet how worried he was for Deok Mi and her safety and how he got so angry on her behalf. But then again he's not the only one cause after that fake date, Deok Mi was all giggly and I'm like girl get it. When they did that photoshoot in the art gallery alleyway, we all went rawr when Ryan grabbed Deok Mi and dude it was so hot. There's no way she can not fall for how manly he was. It was sweet that they're opening up to one another and that everyone's making fun of him and being a lion. I also love the idea that we're seeing a difference between Deok Mi's version of fangirling and then the insane version who will go out and try to kill the girlfriend of the idol they love. Once again there's a disconnect cause I don't understand loving a celebrity at this level cause no part of me actually believes that I'll marry them someday so when I hear of celebs dating I'm usually just like oh cute or I give zero shits. It's insane what the fans in this show will do from throwing themselves in front of cars to getting a job in the gallery. I assume that next week Deok Mi is going to have to explain to Ryan how she knows that Cindy is one of those fansite people and it's going to be funny. We also met the second lead this week for real who is already the worst cause I can tell he's going to be the obnoxious type of second lead who will try to ruin things for the female lead cause he can't get a clue. Deok Mi clearly sees him as a brother and damn the boy met Ryan once and decided to get all grrr alpha male on him and it's like dude this is your friend's boss, back the hell off. It was even funnier that Ryan had no idea what was happening cause he still thinks Deok Mi has a girlfriend.

CDRAMA


The Brightest Star In The Sky (13/44): As singer-songwriter C-POP star, Huang Zitao plays a role of a recalcitrant idol who debuted and become famous since he was young. He deeply likes music and keeps persistent, that is similar with Huang Zi Tao. This time Yang Zhen Zhen is a newbie manager who just starts the work. Being a newbie staff, she faces various obstacles but she never gives up her music dreams.

I guess one of the struggles of having a 44 episode season is that I really want poor Baixu to be able to play the music he wants and for everyone to stop dissing him about how he can't sing but since we need to stretch the story out, we have to do other stuff first. Forget that rude music critic, even his manager was talking shit this week! It makes me all the more excited for when he gets to do CPOP for real and shove it in everyone's face that he's amazing. On the plus side, such a large episode count allows us to really watch the relationship build between Baixu and Zhen Zhen and I love how they're slowly warming to each other though I did think Zhen Zhen was a bit of an ass when she refused to go see Baixu. In a lot of jobs there is no such thing as a day off and if Baixu was more of an asshole, girl could have been fired! I also don't understand exactly what's happening with this company. It feels like we're supposed to think that they're the bad guys since it seems to give zero shits about Baixu as a person or a singer. I understand the idea of wanting him to apologize for his fans beating up someone but to blame the entire thing on him seems unreasonable. They barely give him any time to play music or try what he wants and then run around being like he's an arrogant asshole. I can't see where this show is going and seriously as the episodes go on, I'm wondering what the writer is even thinking cause there seems to be no plot and I'm really just sticking around for the cast and the small bits of music we get.

xoxo Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment