Friday, April 26, 2019

What Dramas Am I Watching This Week?

So here's what I'm watching this week! Of course the list is split by country and episodes I've seen so far are written below! There will be spoilers from now on so if you aren't caught to the episode number on list, you might want to go watch that episode and then come back! If you're interested in previous lists, click here and if you want to see a list of my favorite asian OTPs and ships, click here!

KDRAMA


Big Issue (28/32): Set within the frenzy world of the paparazzi media. Due to a photograph, Han Seok Joo loses everything, including his job as a photographer for a top newspaper and his family. Ji Soo Hyun is the notorious chief editor of a paparazzi group. She hires the man to become a paparazzi photographer.

To my surprise now that everything's out in the open, Seok Joo doesn't seem to be angry or sad or upset about the news that Sunday destroyed his reporting career and also kept pushing his daughter's heart transplant back and that's fascinating. I wonder if it's cause he expected Sunday to have done all this and so he's mostly just like ah so that's what happened. Of course it helps that he hasn't met Soo Hyun face-to-face and there was plenty of other stuff to worry about so he hasn't had the time to wallow in his feelings. I'm sure he feels betrayed but I hope that after he overheard the conversation between CEO Jo and Soo Hyun that he knows that she wanted what's best for his daughter while Jo was the one who was behind all the nefarious deeds. So much happened but at the same time nothing happened in these episodes cause though Sunday was all tossed around in the end they're still on top and the police and prosecutors are unable to do anything. The only difference is that Seok Joo is on top while Jo and Soo Hyun have been ousted. We also seemed to have met the actual power behind Sunday aka the people who Jo was so afraid of and it's hilarious cause it seems the chain of power is never ending. It's interesting to see how much Seok Joo has changed from the start of this show cause back then he turned down Dr Kim's offer to save his daughter due to his morals and now he's like who cares about morals as long as I get what I want. The finale is going to air next week and I'm really not sure how this all is going to end. Best case scenario is that we do like Soo Hyun wanted and destroy everything in the photo archive and start new possibly as a real reporting newspaper. 
Eulachacha Waikiki 2 (10/16): Lee Joon Ki is an unpopular actor who runs the Waikiki guesthouse. However, business is bad and the guesthouse is facing bankruptcy. In order to revive the guesthouse, Lee Joon Ki asks his friends Cha Woo Shik and Kook Ki Bong to invest their savings in it. Cha Woo Shik is a picky person who dreams of becoming a singer. Kook Ki Bong used to be a promising baseball player, but instead is now stuck playing in the minor leagues. After Lee Joon Ki's request, they all put their money into Waikiki Guesthouse and start living there together. 

I wasn't a huge fan of the first episode that aired this week cause it was all about Joon Ki and Jung Eun and you know that I'm not the hugest fan of them though I did like Jung Eun complete disgust at herself for liking a guy like Joon Ki and how in the end Joon Ki thought that Jung Eun was telling him over and over that she hated him. I was proud of Soo Yeon for getting a job as a reporter though it does seem a little easy how quickly she got it compared to Joon Ki and Jung Eun who are constantly fighting to get tiny acting roles. I also think she's falling for Woo Shik just a little or at the very least seeing him as the same guy back in high school who was really nice and did everything for her. Of course Ki Bong and Yoo Ri were my favorite parts of these episodes from how she tried to help him writer a cover letter to win a gameshow to him being the sweetest and buying her a food truck. I loved watching how irritated Yoo Ri would get with Ki Bong being unable to do anything and I was living for how he ended up almost winning a gameshow by pure luck. The best moment though was how sweet he was for spending his last paycheck on a food truck for her and I can't wait to see their romance grow for real cause they're precious.
FINISHED Five Enough (54/54): After losing his wife five years ago, Lee Sang Ta is left with his two children. Since that time, he lives with his two kids and parents-in-law, who treat him like their own son. He works as a marketing team leader for a fashion brand and never expects to find someone who will make his heart beat again. Ahn Mi Jeong works as an assistant manager at the same fashion company. 3 years ago, her husband had an affair with her friend and left her. She couldn't tell her 3 children the truth about their father and lied that he went to work in America. To this day, the children still believe that their father is in America. She has numbed herself from the struggles of raising her children alone while working. As these two begin to find love again, a tempest is brewing as three sets of in-laws and five children learn to become one family.

I have such a love/hate relationship with family dramas cause I'm not the biggest fan of kdramas with more than 24 episodes. In my opinion in order to fill up all this time, the drama tends to have the most annoying twists and turns and most of the time I end up dropping the drama due to my irritation with it. Family dramas especially tend to have really annoying adults from scheming mothers to screeching mother in laws. I also really dislike when in family dramas the siblings don't get along. I totally understand fighting with your siblings but when they hate each other to the point of ruining each other's lives, I tune out cause I have siblings so I don't love watching that. My Father Is Strange is the only long family drama that I thought did a really good job with balancing everything I wanted from a family drama and to my surprise I found that this show did a pretty good job as well. There was a lot I disliked at the start of the drama like the crazy ex-in-laws but eventually I found myself growing used to them and their version of love. I wasn't the hugest fan of Sang Tae and Mi Jeong's romance but once they got married, I started to enjoy watching them work at blending their families. But if I'm honest what really kept me around was the adorable relationship between Yeon Tae and Sang Min which I loved from start to finish. I loved how much Sang Min loved Yeon Tae and how he would do literally anything for her and how she grew to be less cowardly with him by her side. I really hated the reasoning behind why they broke up in the middle of the drama but I was glad that they were able to get their happily ever after in the end. Overall I'd give this show a 8 / 10!
He Is Psychometric (14/16): A boy who is able to read the secrets of those whose skin comes into contact with him, and a girl who does everything she can to hide her pain. In the drama, the boy and girl will meet and try to fix, heal, grow, and love from the small and big occurrences that happen in their lives.

I hardcore don't even know what to think anymore! I don't think I see Seung Mo as an out-and-out villain per say but it's definitely clear that he's not a hero anymore especially after he spent this entire time hunting down and torturing Geun Taek who I feel no pity for but it sucks that Seung Mo is breaking so many laws. It also sucks that he seems to be behind a lot of crimes but since he hasn't actually done anything, he can't be charged for it. It's seriously heartbreaking cause Ahn and Seung Mo's relationship was the sweetest in this show and I hate that it feels like Seung Mo doesn't love Ahn as much as he loved Seung Mo. On the one hand I want to scream at Ahn to trust his brother but on the other hand, Seung Mo's callus remarks about Ahn needing to reach his anger and his coldness in the face of Ahn who's begging him to tell the truth make me struggle to trust him myself. I don't think it's as simple as Seung Mo using Ahn to his advantage like Geun Taek told Ahn but it's possible that since Seung Mo struggles with emotions that maybe he started using Ahn but then found himself caring for him more than he expected to. A similar thing probably happened with poor Ji Soo who loved Seung Mo with all her heart but he never seemed to care about her until the very end. I cried and cried every time she popped up on screen this week cause I knew last week that she was going to die by Geun Taek's hands especially after her own father cut the legs out from under her by refusing to let her have backup anytime she went out in the field. Honestly I blame him more than anyone else for her death. I do like that we have seemed to gotten all the puzzle pieces to fit except for one and that's who actually set the fire and I have a feeling it was Seung Mo who did it cause he wanted the police to capture Geun Taek but to his disappointment, Ji Soo's dad took a bribe.
Her Private Life (6/16): A romantic comedy about a talented gallery curator named Sung Duk Mi, who is an idol fangirl underneath her professional veneer. Meanwhile, her boss Ryan becomes a passionate fanboy of her. Sung Duk Mi lives a double life as both a gallery curator and a home master for a fansite about Si An, an idol group member. She’s a pro in both aspects of her life, and because of her fangirl dedication, Duk Mi has had to break up with several boyfriends, deciding instead to go all in for her fangirl activities instead of dating. Ryan is a new director at the gallery where Duk Mi works. Once a painter, Ryan was a sensation in the art world from his debut to his retirement, and is now seeing career success as a director. An individualist through and through, Ryan comes to find out about Duk Mi’s double life.

Anyone else shocked at how fast everything is moving? It's worrying me a little cause usually when shows move this quickly they run out of steam early and then end up puttering to a weak end like What's Wrong With Secretary Kim! I'm hoping that since the writing for this show seems so well constructed so far that it'll continue being so well done. I was shocked to find out that Ryan already figured out that Deok Mi was the fangirl that he ran into before but I also kind of loved it cause it shows that he's smart enough to put pieces together. It was also pretty sweet that he doesn't seem to think any less of Deok Mi now that he found out and in fact he's kind of enjoying watching her fangirl and giving her opportunities for it. I look forward to seeing Deok Mi struggle with the idea that she's lying to him only to find out that he already knew and liked her anyway. It does feel a little early for the two to be in love but even more shocking was that Ryan and Deok Mi kissed this week! These two have such intense chemistry that you can feel it oozing off the screen even when they do something as simple as look at each other. I love the way this show uses musical cues cause instead of throwing music behind every scene, they let the characters and the tension and the chemistry between our leads lead the way. Sometimes complete silence like the bathroom scene is so much more powerful.
FINISHED Madame Antoine (16/16): Soo Hyun is a psychologist based in America who has famous celebrities as his patients. But he suddenly returns to Korea and opens a psychotherapy center. A fraud fortune-teller named Hye Rim steals all of Soo Hyun's clients with her uncanny ability to read people’s minds seconds after meeting them. With his pride wounded, Soo Hyun decides to come up with a psychological experiment to perform on Hye Rim for his own research and revenge for the loss of his clients. As part of this experiment, three attractive men, including Soo Hyun, use all their charms to seduce Hye Rim and make her fall in love with them. Soo Hyun believes that he cuts a dashing figure and is quite accomplished professionally compared to the other two men; Seung Chan, Soo Hyun’s brother, wins over women’s hearts by treating them like queens; Ji Ho is an attractive and eccentric young genius. Hye Rim hadn’t believed in love until she becomes the lover of three different men. As she is caught up in the whirlwind of a romance that follows, her cynicism towards love crumbles. Will Hye Rim remain in love with Soo Hyun even after she realizes that she was just a participant in his psychological love experiment?

I have been enjoying Han Ye Seul in Big Issue recently so I wanted to check out another project with her and that's how I found this show and I went in without too many expectations but I found myself really enjoying myself. I loved that this show took a well used trope of getting someone to fall in love with them while the seducer falls in love along the way and turned it on it's head. The idea of the whole thing being an experiment (rather than a bet in most shows) was fun even if the scientist in me was cringing the whole time cause what a monstrous experiment. Soo Hyun was really the absolute worst from top to bottom and I really couldn't understand how Hye Rim fell for him at all cause he was not a good actor but I didn't really mind that much cause it's a rom com and I was down for all the cute moments. I adored Hye Rim as a character cause she was super funny and adorable and I loved that when she found out about the experiment for real that her first instinct was to play along and get revenge on him while also trying to discover how he really felt rather than just getting angry and leaving which is why when she finally left in anger, I wasn't as on board cause it didn't really make sense. I also wasn't a fan of how Hye Rim came back because everyone basically convinced her that she increased Soo Hyun's abandonment issues when the only reason she left was cause of him being an asshole. We did not a single apology out of Soo Hyun's mouth for what he did and really that's all she had wanted cause the minute he did, she would have come back and this would have felt better. My other real problem with this show was the pacing cause it felt like we did the same plot circle every few episodes with Hye Rim finding out it's an experiment only for Soo Hyun to lie out of it so a lot of plot was just shoved into the last four episodes. We finally touched on Soo Hyun's underlying abandonment issues and his struggle with his father and Hye Rim's insecurity and all of this felt so underdeveloped that I really didn't like how the show wrapped it all up. Despite all this, I did think that this drama was pretty cute so overall I'd give it a 8.5 / 10.

xoxo Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment