Saturday, April 27, 2019

What Shows Am I Watching This Week?

Hey guys so I wanted to apologize for skipping both the Arrow and Flash reviews last week but I was crazy busy and I will be for the rest of the tv year and I debated how to keep up with my normal reviews while having little time and in the end I decided to do my reviews like I do my weekly asian drama reviews where I do kind of quickie reviews so here we are! I hope you enjoy!

Game Of Thrones Season 8 Episode 2 

I really enjoyed this episode and I actually think I liked it better than the first episode of season 8 cause though both had similar themes of the calm before the storm, the first felt more like let's catch up with everyone we haven't seen in ages while this one felt more like the actual let's live before we die. Arya and Gendry hook up and Jon tells Dany about his parentage. We unfortunately cut away before we could truly see what her reaction to that news would be but based on the type of character Dany is, I'm sure she'll see him as a threat to her rule and I wouldn't be surprised if she tries to kill him midbattle or flees south out of anger. She's made it clear over and over that she's only here cause she loves Jon no matter how terrifying the White Walkers are. This of course leads to my favorite scene of the night which was Sansa and Dany talking one-on-one and I think that after this scene where Dany literally says "who's manipulating whom" to Sansa the foreshadowing for Jon using Dany's feelings against her is pretty clear and I think this was the moment that Sansa realized it too cause she softened immediately afterwards though I love that she stood her ground about Northern Independence. One of my favorite things about Sansa is how much she cares about the smallfolk and their comfort cause people seem to forget that Sansa had a front row seat to the smallfolk riots in Kings Landing when they were starving and because of that she knows how terrible it is for the nobles if they don't care. I also loved the reunion between Theon and Sansa which almost brought tears to my eyes cause of how sweet it was. It's interesting how much the show is showing us this season the differences between Dany and Sansa and the kind of rulers they would be. Dany only cares about what she wants and hates when advisors disagree with her and once they do something she doesn't like, that's it for them *cough Tyrion cough.* Meanwhile Sansa cares about everyone and people flock to her out of love and respect instead of fear and she takes what they say into consideration like with Brienne and Jaime. Speaking of, the chamberfire scene when Brienne was finally knighted was so beautiful cause it was all she ever wanted and I loved Podrick singing that terribly beautiful song that's foreshadowing all the death next week.

Speaking of death, I definitely think Grey Worm, Theon, Bran, and Gendry are all main characters who are going to die next week. I also wonder if maybe sending all the women and children to the crypts is a bad idea but I also don't know the rules for how old a body has to be for the White Walkers to raise it so we'll have to see.

Supergirl Season 4 Episode 18

I really debated not doing this review cause I'm really over Supergirl as a show and I don't know why cause the writing of this show is probably the most consistent it has been but I just think that there's nothing in this show that keeps me interested and no characters that I've connected to. There are themes that I think are really interesting and I of course am loving Lex and his amazing plan to discredit Supergirl but other than that I'm meh about the whole thing. Kara spends the episode being hated by everyone and Lena and Alex try to change that. It was funny watching all the inmates suddenly hate Supergirl for being a terrorist and I'm sitting here like but all of you are the same so why do you care? Otis was a highlight especially when he called the press out for being unable to see the bigger picture as long as they get their hot story. I also loved when Kara ran into the thug from before and suddenly he's a big fan of Kara for being pro-alien. Brainy decided to destroy the alien registry to protect other aliens and I do adore him despite the terrible writing the show gives him. It was a little weird to see Haley turn and be on Supergirl's side and I didn't really buy her reasoning for doing so even if it was uplifting to see her warn Supergirl of the danger in the DEO. Maybe part of my struggle this season is just how much I hate the storyline of the country turning against aliens cause it hits too close to home with all the anti-immigration sentiment in the country in real life. I got so nauseous watching the president deputize the Agents of Liberty as if they were a force for good rather than just another hate mongering group.

The promo for next week shows that Nia will be stepping up as a hero and honestly is anyone else as confused as me as to what her powers are? I thought she could only dream of the future and didn't have any extra powers or strengths which to me feels like she should be a supporting hero like an Overwatch or a Brainy than out on the streets type.

Arrow Season 7 Episode 19

Last week I had to skip my Arrow review cause of time but I really enjoyed watching the ladies of Arrow kick ass especially with Sara returning and this week we got back to the overarching story and I'm still loving Emiko as the Big Bad. We met Emiko basically Day 1 of this season and I love that unlike Dante who is just another Diaz clone, Emiko is much more interesting. She has so many more ties to the characters of Arrow and though I wish hints of her had appeared earlier, I like how she's written. I like that she's torn between being this evil person and a lost girl looking for family. Every time Oliver reaches out to her, you can see how torn she is about turning him down especially since the only reason that Emiko even turned to the Ninth Circle is that they gave her a sense of family. Now that she found out that Dante was the one to kill her mother, those ties are probably even weaker and I definitely think she'll turn on them by the end. I was surprised that she killed Dante so easily/quickly but I'm wondering if there's anyone else she has to listen to or if she's really at the top cause when she changes sides, will the Ninth Circle be completely destroyed? I was also surprised that Felicity killed ARCHER this week cause the flash forwards showed us that ARCHER is still up and running but then we found out that Alena kept a copy of the code and I'm sure she's going to try to sell it to whoever that fancy tech guy they talked about. I actually thought for a second that maybe he was a Ninth Circle member cause that would have been a very sneaky way for Emiko to get ARCHER but instead they went the old fashioned break in route. I did love that we finally met some of Diggle's family cause it's been 7 seasons and we never met his parents! It was funny that he was a Stewart (cause of Green Lantern duh) and I'd like to imagine in Jay Garrick's Earth where Diggle is a Green Lantern that he probably took Stewart's last name. The flash forwards were awful as always cause they always seem to provide us new and horrifying information about our heroes and this week we learned that JJ actually became a criminal and that he hates his entire family enough to actually want to murder Connor.

The promo for next week shows Oliver being framed for murders that Emiko commits and it's very strange that I'm so surprised by this cause I really don't know why Emiko would blame Oliver for any of her anger but I think it's a matter of misplaced anger. Robert isn't alive for her to hate and she just killed Dante for her mother so Oliver's the only one left to despise. It is a little sad how quickly everyone turns on Oliver cause like wouldn't Star City believe in him a tiny bit more?

Legends of Tomorrow Season 4 Episode 12


This was a bit of a disappointing episode of Legends especially since I so adored last week's and it probably has to do with the fact that this was an Ava centric episode. For the life of me I cannot get behind Ava as a character. Like she's fine in most instances and I love her dynamic with Gary but I think she's best as a recurring or minor character and although I find some of her moments with Sara cute, I don't entirely ship them either and as the season goes on, I'm more and more afraid that this is a way to write off Sara or take her from the Legends cause the whole theme of this episode was Ava and Sara's relationship. It was interesting to see how much Ava wants Sara to be a different person which once again bugs me. Sara isn't really the type to settle down. She likes adventure and living in the moment and Ava's the opposite. I understand Ava being insecure and being scared that Sara will leave her for someone or something else but Sara is already committed in the way she knows with being exclusive and being together whenever there's nothing wrong in the timeline and I don't really think this episode cleared this up so I'm not entirely sure where this left us. On the other hand, the Neuron stuff was the most interesting and I really didn't think that he was killed off cause that would have been too quick. I do like the twist that Neuron is in Ray though it's super strange that Constantine would not be able to sense that Ray is possessed and I guess it's a really good thing that Nora's in a coma otherwise she definitely would. I still really hate the way the show took Hank and I really don't understand the theme park thing but it was fun to watch Nate be at the end of his ropes. I loved his line about how he would throw himself out a window if the person calling on Hank's secret phone was his mistress. We end the episode with Nate stopping the destruction of the theme park and that makes me wonder where they'll take this cause I doubt he wants to follow through with this plan. Maybe he wants to make a sanctuary for magical creatures or maybe he will go through with the park only now he'll get the consent of the creatures? Zari trying to figure out what to text Nate all episode was really funny as well but I was sitting here like why can't you just ask him if he's okay cause afterall his dad just died!

Never mind what I said about not knowing that Neuron is in Ray cause it looks like Ray was only slightly possessed and it is enough for him to realize that something is wrong but not enough for him to be controlled entirely like Desmond. I'll be interested to see what happens and whether Neuron ends up jumping into another body like this is some sort of hot potato game but if I had to guess, I'd say that he'll probably get entirely controlled by the end of the episode.

The Flash Season 5 Episode 19 

This was an interesting episode cause I'm usually a huge fan of Caitlin centric episodes and I haven't been a huge fan of Nora this season but I think this episode was poorly placed in this season. Nora just got interesting and instead of focusing on her and Eobard and Iris going to the future, we focused on Icicle and I was just not as interested as I would have been. Despite this I did like what the show did with Icicle this week and I loved the idea that he wanted to make an ice family for himself which is why he kidnapped Caitlin and her mom. Was anyone else even the slightest bit surprised that the mom ended up getting meta powers? While this was happening, I was casually trying to think of other female ice villains in the DCU besides Killer Frost and the only one I could think of was Mrs Freeze! It was sad to see Thomas sacrifice himself for Caitlin but narratively it was there so Barry could see that his approach to Nora was wrong. By the by Caitlin literally just lost her father to Grace!Cicada like Barry lost his mom to Eobard but how much do you wanna bet we probs will never touch on this again except for maybe a line or two in the future from Caitlin about how Grace!Cicada needs to pay? The more interesting part of the episode to me was the Iris stuff and how angry she was with Barry for sending Nora back to the future without consulting her. I was completely on her side in this argument cause not only was Barry an asshole for not even thinking to consult his wife about his decision but he blamed her for being emotional when it was him who wasn't thinking clearly. I kind of wish that this anger had gone on for more than one episode cause I can't see how in real life an argument like this could be solved in a day but I get it cause this show doesn't like to separate Barry and Iris for more than a few seconds. I loved that she got to see Eobard and Nora interact in the future and more Ralph is always a great thing. I had been thinking for a while that Eobard seemed to really care for Nora and she clearly really cares for him too cause she's never had a father figure so it was nice that Iris mentioned it too. I wonder if they'll end up getting Eobard out of death row to get him to help and then once he does, he escapes cause I can't see the show actually killing off Eobard.

Next week is another female rogue team and it looks like Nora is going to be a little evil which is kinda fun. I really wish the show would get rid of Grace!Cicada already cause she's just as boring as Cicada was and I'm so much more interested in evil Nora and Eobard and I had really hoped for a while that they would do like Arrow and switch their villain midseason.

Riverdale Season 3 Episode 19

What a strange episode that we all just watched! The Jones Family played G&G to save JB, Betty kept trying and failing to take down the Farm and Veronica and Archie tried to deal with the death of the boxer who Archie fought last week. It never ceases to amuse me how Betty and Jughead always have their own stories to deal with while the show always seems to put Veronica and Archie in the same storyline no matter their relationship status. I assume it's because Jughead and Betty are actually interesting while Archie is a stick in the mud who I've been bored with since season 1 while Veronica is touch and go. I still hate that she broke up with Reggie cause they had loads more chemistry that Archie and Veronica did. In turn I was super bored during most of the Archie stuff but it's weird that we're circling back to the Hiram hates Archie storyline which I really thought we put to rest. I assume Hiram was playing a long game once he got out of the hospital but I also wonder if it came about once Veronica broke up with Reggie and starting hanging out with Archie again. I was surprised to find out that Evelyn was actually Edgar's wife and not his daughter as Betty found out this week and like the only thing I could think of was ew but also couldn't Betty take that info to the police or the news and at the very least get Evelyn kicked out of school? It was hilarious honestly seeing Penelope up and run away with one of Polly's babies and I seriously doubt that Hal is dead. If anything he probably escaped in the cover of whatever accident occurred. Gladys also left town which was a sad moment but JB is sticking around and at least now Riverdale will be safer with the drug trade once again shut down.

The promo for next week shows that we might finally get rid of the Gargoyle King and I hope that's true cause honestly the Farm is much more interesting and seriously Betty needs the Core Four to help her fight cause she's lost everyone else to them and she's starting to waver too which is why she needs Jughead at the least by her side.

Gotham Season 5 Episode 12

This was the series finale for Gotham and I actually really liked the idea of seeing everyone 10 years later though I wish that we had actually seen more of Bruce. I am glad we at the very least saw his batsuit which tbh was actually not half bad! The actress who played adult Selina looked so much like young Selina so like props to the casting! I loved seeing her be a cat burglar and that even to this day she knew when Bruce was around and though it was heartbreaking that the show is ending with them apart, I'm sure that their relationship is not over especially we're just now reaching batman year one. I was a little annoyed that we never saw the adult Bruce on screen but I guess that it makes a little sense cause Bruce does need the crew to separate him from Batman and to act all frivolous and uncaring would help them separate young Bruce who had a sense of justice from older Bruce. It was also really nice seeing Barbara as a tycoon and baby Barbara who looked a little too young to be 10 but still with a sense of justice that makes her a future Batgirl. We also caught up with all the villains and it kinda makes sense that they were all in jail or imprisoned so that they're starting fresh with Batman too. Even Jeremiah is fine and hilariously he killed Ecco (cause he needs Harleen in the future.) Overall it was a pretty uplifting finale and totally makes me want the adult version of this show which I suppose is the point cause though it's the end of this show, it's only the start to Gotham's Dark Knight.

Fruits Basket (2019) Season 1 Episode 4

This episode was Kagura's introduction and honestly I was pretty meh about the whole thing cause I've never really liked Kagura as a character back in the 2001 version and I didn't have high hopes for this version either. To my complete lack of surprise, Kagura was just as abusive and clingy as I remembered her to be tbh and it was a pain to sit through this episode. Kyo's always been my favorite of the zodiacs and I definitely shipped him with Tohru but my dislike of Kagura has less to do with her getting in the way of my ship than the way she's portrayed to be this pain in Kyo's ass that everyone thinks is cute. Like I know it's an anime and everything but violence isn't a good thing and the fact that Kagura makes Kyo so uncomfortable and the fact that she hurts him when he doesn't do what she wants just doesn't sit right with me especially since everyone is just like marry her Kyo, she loves you! Despite that as always the animation for her boar form was so cute though. Of course my favorite scene of the episode has to be the one on the rooftop where Kyo opened up to Tohru about his love of martial arts cause duh but I still think it's too early for either of the two to catch any real feelings.

Next week seems to be the episode where Tohru's grandfather tells her to return home only for Tohru to decide to stay with the Sohmas instead.

xoxo Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment