Friday, May 3, 2019

What Dramas Am I Watching This Week?

So here's what I'm watching this week! Of course the list is split by country and episodes I've seen so far are written below! There will be spoilers from now on so if you aren't caught to the episode number on list, you might want to go watch that episode and then come back! If you're interested in previous lists, click here and if you want to see a list of my favorite asian OTPs and ships, click here!

KDRAMA


FINISHED Big Issue (32/32): Set within the frenzy world of the paparazzi media. Due to a photograph, Han Seok Joo loses everything, including his job as a photographer for a top newspaper and his family. Ji Soo Hyun is the notorious chief editor of a paparazzi group. She hires the man to become a paparazzi photographer.

What a strange but also kind of satisfying ending to a strange but fulfilling show. I think it was fascinating that this show was pretty much about Seok Joo's descent into evil rather than him redeeming Soo Hyun like I expected at the start and I love this show for that cause it's always more fun on the dark side. I was actually pretty surprised how Seok Joo wasn't pissed with Soo Hyun literally at all for what happened to him in the past but I was also glad for it cause I really didn't need a drama cliche here and I think it fit better for his character at this point in his life to be over it. Yeah she ruined his life but she was also the reason that he climbed out of the gutter and saved his daughter so bygones cause that's definitely how I would have felt. I also love the idea of Seok Joo and Soo Hyun being co-CEOs and running Sunday without any board members in the background pulling strings like with Cho. I was glad that the CEO of Nara ended up being the Big Bad behind the scenes cause it felt more real than introducing a random character out of the blue to be the bad guy and I love how even when Seok Joo was being threatened by him, Soo Hyun figured out what was going in in like five seconds flat. I do wish their ending had been a bit more clear (like where's my final kiss at!?!) but we've pretty much been told that they love each other and they're still together and trust each other so that's good enough! I had a really fun time with this show and I'd give it a 8.5 / 10!
Eulachacha Waikiki 2 (12/16): Lee Joon Ki is an unpopular actor who runs the Waikiki guesthouse. However, business is bad and the guesthouse is facing bankruptcy. In order to revive the guesthouse, Lee Joon Ki asks his friends Cha Woo Shik and Kook Ki Bong to invest their savings in it. Cha Woo Shik is a picky person who dreams of becoming a singer. Kook Ki Bong used to be a promising baseball player, but instead is now stuck playing in the minor leagues. After Lee Joon Ki's request, they all put their money into Waikiki Guesthouse and start living there together. 

I'm glad that Woo Shik told Soo Hyun how he felt cause it was obvious that she was going to turn him down since she hasn't seemed interested in him at all and I assumed that once she would find out he liked her and then turned him down then she would start to see him in a new light. I know people say guys are easy but so too are girls most of the time. If you say you're interested, suddenly we're curious about whether or not it could work and in this case Soo Hyun already liked Woo Shik when they were younger so obviously she could like him again. I also really liked that there's a new girl in Woo Shik's life now cause she'll definitely help with the whole jealously thing and I'm sure she'll admit her feelings soon enough. I also have been wondering why Woo Shik didn't become a song writer long ago cause it feels like he was definitely very good at it and though he's awesome at singing too, if that's not working out, why not make more money and be a vital part in the music industry? Joon Ki also turned down Jung Eun this week without knowing that he was rejecting her and that makes me wonder if the show will end with them not together after all which of course I'm down for. Over in my favorite couple land, Ki Bong and Yoo Ri have been working together a lot but they're finally starting to see each other in a new light and I can't wait to see where this goes!
FINISHED He Is Psychometric (16/16): A boy who is able to read the secrets of those whose skin comes into contact with him, and a girl who does everything she can to hide her pain. In the drama, the boy and girl will meet and try to fix, heal, grow, and love from the small and big occurrences that happen in their lives.

I'm honestly so sad the finale for this amazing show aired this week cause I've fallen in love with this world and it's characters and it sucks that it's over! This is one of the few shows that I think deserve a second season cause I don't want to leave it but at the same time, I think the story concluded so perfectly that they don't need another season. The true highlight of this show was it's amazing writers cause unlike most dramas I've watched, the writing was so tightly woven and the plot twists were so heartbreaking and surprising but at the same time didn't come out of nowhere cause in hindsight all the clues were there. We never once slowed down or lost our pace and it never felt like the writers were stumbling around in the dark looking for what's going to happen next and that was beautiful. I definitely will be looking for more from these writers in the future! To everyone's heartbreak the murder ended up being Seung Mo which both soothed me and made me cry. The uncertainty last week was the worst cause I was right there with Ahn torn over how to react to Seung Mo and so I felt like he should be treated like a villain but then I felt so guilty immediately afterwards cause like how couldn't you trust Seung Mo after all the time he spent with Ahn which is why when the truth came out, we were back in familiar territory. I mean it does suck and everything that Seung Mo was tortured by Geun Taek and of course I understand why he did what he did but at the same time, I think he deserved what he got in the end and I don't think Ahn should feel guilty over not forgiving him right away. Everyone got the punishment they deserved and we got a cute ending for Ahn and Jae In so all in all, pretty solid ending. I'd definitely give this show a 10 / 10!
Her Private Life (8/16): A romantic comedy about a talented gallery curator named Sung Duk Mi, who is an idol fangirl underneath her professional veneer. Meanwhile, her boss Ryan becomes a passionate fanboy of her. Sung Duk Mi lives a double life as both a gallery curator and a home master for a fansite about Si An, an idol group member. She’s a pro in both aspects of her life, and because of her fangirl dedication, Duk Mi has had to break up with several boyfriends, deciding instead to go all in for her fangirl activities instead of dating. Ryan is a new director at the gallery where Duk Mi works. Once a painter, Ryan was a sensation in the art world from his debut to his retirement, and is now seeing career success as a director. An individualist through and through, Ryan comes to find out about Duk Mi’s double life.

The episodes that aired this week were honestly so disappointing to watch for multiple reasons! Not only was the whole previewed relationship a fake-out (and boy do I have words about that) but we spent soooo much time with the second leads and building up misunderstandings between our leads. First of all, I seriously hate when in dramas there are like ten minutes scenes that you think are real only to end up being a daydream. Like fine I could handle the fake kiss cause Ryan saw Cindy but the ten minute makeout scene in Deok Mi's apartment was so heartbreaking cause I got so excited for them (and their intense chemistry) only to have the whole thing be a lie. I also seriously hate the kind of second leads who go to the main leads and basically try to scare them away or warn them off. It's the worst cause they act all possessive and creepy and it's like who the hell cares if you've known this person longer? If you haven't confessed yet, don't interfere with their lives! I knew from the start that Eun Gi was going to be a main in my ass but I had higher hopes for Da In only to have them dashed as well. Like how about instead of playing games you man up to your feeling instead?? Other than that I really enjoyed the episodes this week cause I was living for how much Deok Mi and Ryan are into each other and though I wish they would be a bit more brave in their feelings, I'm looking forward to their angry breakup too cause I'm hoping it'll lead to someone awkwardly spitting out their confession. I also want to shout the sound design in this show cause I mentioned it last week slightly but it deserves another shout out this week. Every piece of music that's played is a perfect fit for the scene and I adore the hilarious sounds too like the wolf howling whenever Ryan is struck by Deok Mi or the awkward off-key violin that played after Deok Mi thought Ryan was about to confess to her but didn't. It's amazing and props to the sound team!

CDRAMA


The Brightest Star In The Sky (22/44): As singer-songwriter C-POP star, Huang Zitao plays a role of a recalcitrant idol who debuted and become famous since he was young. He deeply likes music and keeps persistent, that is similar with Huang Zi Tao. This time Yang Zhen Zhen is a newbie manager who just starts the work. Being a newbie staff, she faces various obstacles but she never gives up her music dreams.

For a while now it's felt like there's no plot in this show as if every episode the writers are like throwing darts at a wall to see what should happen. Zhen Zhen constantly treats Baixu as nothing more than a gnat in her life when he should literally be the most important thing and gave no shits about him and did not truly care about him or his struggles but only about herself. I've repeatedly heard her whine about how hard he makes her life but I'm over here like he's literally about to be sold away could you please have an ounce of compassion for him? Like if he's fired, he's done in music but you can just be transferred to working for a new client so who's life is harder? And that's not even mentioning my still growing frustration with the company he's working at! I understand that celebrities are commodities but I've never seen a show where a singer is literally nothing more than dollar bills to the degree that they won't even let him make music. Like what on Earth could they possibly lose if they allowed him to make ONE song he wanted in an album of songs they want??? If it's a hit, it's a win-win scenario and if it's a failure, then the rest of his songs can cover for it! Ugh. I seriously debated dropping this show so many times cause of how it was making my blood boil but I wanted to keep watching it for Z Tao and towards the end of this week I found myself relaxing a little. As soon as Baixu saved Zhen Zhen from falling off that rooftop, she relaxed enough to see him for who he was rather than the facade he was portraying and when she became his manager, he relaxed enough to do what she wanted especially since she cared more about him as a person and a singer than his previous manager who just wanted him to make her money. I hope this trend continues and we have no more of the annoying stuff I hated earlier.

xoxo Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment