Friday, July 12, 2019

What Dramas Am I Watching This Week?

So here's what I'm watching this week! Of course the list is split by country and episodes I've seen so far are written below! There will be spoilers from now on so if you aren't caught to the episode number on list, you might want to go watch that episode and then come back! If you're interested in previous lists, click here and if you want to see a list of my favorite asian OTPs and ships, click here!

KDRAMA


FINISHED Angel's Last Mission: Love (32/32): People just fall in love and devote their lives for love. Sometimes, they take the other one’s life away for their love. A cold-hearted woman meets an immature angel and they get to confront unexpected tragedy and crucial moment. Lee Yeon Seo is a cynical and arrogant ballerina. She becomes the heiress because of her parent’s sudden death. She doesn’t believe anyone since there are a lot of people around her who want her inherited money. Her distrust and arrogance make herself unable to love. She becomes the best ballerina, but she gets into an accident and has to give up her dream. Kim Dan is a mischievous angel. When he ends his duty as an angel on the earth, he gets to cause trouble and has only one last chance to overcome his critical situation to be extinct. And that last chance is to be a Cupid for Yeon Seo, but he despairs that he has to look after such an arrogant Yeon Seo.

I'm honestly so heartbroken that this drama came to an end this week cause it's been my favorite drama to watch since it started airing all those weeks ago. I went into this show thinking it'd be a rom com and instead it painted a beautifully tragic love story that made me want to cry multiple times an episode. Shin Hye Sun and L were absolutely stunning in their depictions from the way they acted out their characters to the chemistry they had. The story never dragged once and the lore though I wish had been defined better earlier never faltered unlike many other fantasy dramas. I do wish the villains had a bit less screen time and I honestly do think it's a bit silly that Ru Na managed to escape police custody and attack Yeon Seo but it helped add stakes which worked for me. The timeline that Yeon Seo and Dan had for his disappearance helped make their love even more passionate and intense cause when you know you only have so much time left, your love isn't wasted. I do wish that the ending would have been a bit more solid cause I've said over and over that I hate endings where one of the leads goes away for a while only to come back in the end. Dan went from being dissipated to returning to being an angel only to give up his place in paradise so that he could save Yeon Seo but just as we thought he was dead for real he came back as a guardian angel for Yeon Seo only to end up human at the end. There were way too many twists and turns and it left me unable to process my emotions! I was sobbing my damn heart out when Dan gave his last breathe to Yeon Seo and she woke up to realize what had happened and I think honestly the show should have ended with him being her guardian angel cause it makes more sense lore-wise. God was too cruel cause why after everything finally turn Dan human when he could have at the start? Despite the sketch ending, I'd still give this show a 10 / 10 cause I laughed, I cried and I loved this drama with every fiber of my being!
FINISHED Arthdal Chronicles Season 2 (6/6): Eun Som was born with a fate to bring disaster to Arthdal. Due to his mother's struggles to save him, he goes through hardships and grows up. He appears again in Arthdal. Ta Gon is a war hero of Arthdal. He has paved the way for Arthdal to become a prosperous city nation and he is the most powerful person in Arthdal. He dreams of becoming the first king of Arthdal. Tan Ya was born with the same fate as Eun Som. She is the successor of the Wahan Tribe. Going through hardships, she realized her mission. She lives under the highest honor and her ambition is to become a politician

Okay the last couple of minutes of episode 6 pretty much made up for everything I disliked and had to deal with this season cause of how badass it was. I had freaking chills as Tanya danced and I swear if I was in the room how would I be anything but completely in awe of her. I loved that the way to find the bell ended up being through things Tanya learned back in Wahan without a true meaning to those movements until now kinda like a Karate Kid situation. It was even better being able to stick it to the uppity Asa clan who's eldest leader clearly foresaw Tanya finding the bell and freaked out though I was low key hoping that she would jump in to stop Tanya and make the Asa clan look even worse. It's the struggle cause I still don't love Tagon and Taehalha since they're obviously not great people and future antagonists but right now they're on Tanya's side enough that I can cheer for them. I am thrilled though that Tanya found out about Eunseom being alive and that Eunseom despite seeing Tanya tell Saya that she regrets meeting him and thinking that Tanya was talking to him directly has decided he doesn't care and is going to find her anyway. The final scene where they both mentally told each other that they will find each other was so romantic and sweet. As the season comes to a close, I'm glad that where all our main characters ended up. Tanya is the Head Priest (even if she's probs still going to be a puppet for Tagon), Eunseom is leading a slave rebellion with a clearly loyal group of friends and has Moobaek's man there to help him back to Arthdal, Chaeeun knows where everyone and everything is, Noonbyeol has a few Neanthrals in her back pocket to call on, and Moobaek has the full trust of Tagon even though he's playing him. The only person unaccounted for is Saya and that's only cause he's a wildcard in that I don't understand why he's so loyal to Tagon who's treated him terribly but I'll be interested to find out when push comes to shove whether he'll pick Tanya or Tagon and how he'll feel about his twin brother. It's possible that when Tanya turns him down romantically, he might just lose it a little. I was also feeling really fatigued by all Arthdal politics this season but now that the characters I love are in better places of power, I might just be more into it though I do hate that we have to wait until September to see the next part! Overall I'd give this season a 9 / 10 like I did for season 1.
DROPPED Drinking Solo (10/16): The story depicts people drinking alcohol alone for different reasons and the romance between Jin Jeong Seok and Park Ha Na. They both work at a private institute for people preparing for their civil service examinations in Noryangjin, Seoul. He is an arrogant, but popular instructor and she is a rookie instructor who struggles to survive in the private institute world.

I started this drama cause the synopsis caught my attention but I was a bit hesitant cause I really didn't enjoy Ha Suk Jin as an actor in Your House Helper as I thought he was too wooden a performer however since that was the only drama I had seen him in, I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt in case it was just the writing for that character I didn't like. To my displeasure his character Jeong Seok was definitely less wooden for sure but instead he was the absolute worst kind of person. I completely understand the tendency to enjoy bad boy roles but like when that translates to imma be an ass to my female lead but toss her a breadcrumb once in a while, I can't understand why the female lead would fall in love! Jeong Seok was condescending, arrogant, quick to anger, judgmental and childish. He thought himself leagues above everyone else and was constantly talking about the so-called quality of others without realizing that he was pretty low on that list cause as soon as he opened his mouth I wanted to cringe every single time. He was constantly shitting on Ha Na and though eventually it was revealed that he's a bit of a tsundere that didn't fix the problem. We the audience were shown why he acted a certain way but Ha Na only saw the prickly side of him so it makes no damn sense that she fell for him. The fact that she did just made her look insecure for being so excited when he said that she had potential or when he bought her $30 wine (which by the by is hella cheap for wine.) His whole rampage at the wedding when he went on and on about how dare she think that such a high quality man such as himself would like such a low quality woman made me want to punch him in the damn face. I just had to drop this show out of anger.
FINISHED Fantastic (16/16): As a hardworking scriptwriter, So Hye is writing a drama about cancer when coincidentally she is diagnosed with breast cancer and learns she has five months left to live. She decides to live it up, leave no regrets, and do whatever she feels like doing. However, as a workaholic, she also commits to finishing her last project, then plans to leave quietly. But Hae Sung, a famous star, and her first love, suddenly shows up and her plans fall through. So Hye is actively opposed to casting Hae Sung as the lead in her latest drama. His stiff, robotic acting and constant nagging annoy her, and they occasionally have petty fights. But along the way, they actually seem to be falling in love. Meanwhile, Joon Ki has been by her side, both as her doctor and a friend. He knows So Hye’s bright demeanor sometimes acts as a cover for her secret burden. He knows her well, and he’s been through it himself. Though he can’t cure her, he wants to be her steady soulmate, and face the reality together. Joon Ki and Hae Sung fight for So Hye’s love, and with mixed emotions, she is indecisive. How can she decide when she only has a few months left? What is the best way to leave without regrets?

I started this show for no particular reason other than it sounded kind of fun and I went in without really knowing who was in it and to my surprise I found that it was Joo Sang Wook who I liked in Fate & Furies even if I ended up dropping that show. Unfortunately I ended up not really loving this drama and honestly that felt like the story of my life this week and I can't decide why I just couldn't connect to this drama I finished and the two I dropped. I really wasn't a fan of Joon Ki as a character cause he was just too damn childish and annoying for how old he was. I couldn't connect to him cause all I could think was that he was the type of boyfriend you'd have to mother and because of that when the romance started, I was bored. It sucks cause when you don't enjoy the main couple in a romance show, you can't connect to the show though I did think it was kind of creative to have both the villain in the first couple's side and the second couple's in one family. Speaking of, the only reason I didn't drop this show was that I was into the second couple of Seol and Sang Wook even though it was very much understated (probs due to the age difference between the actors) and definitely deserved more screen time. Besides the fact that Sang Wook was played by Ji Soo, I think it's the fact that he's the type of male lead I like watching: charming, competent, a little dorky but most importantly kind. I loved Seol's story of struggling to escape an abusive relationship and that Sang Wook and her never hooked up until after Seol found the courage to leave her situation even if Sang Wook did help provide a little emotional support because despite what her dumbass husband thought, it wasn't about a guy but the fact that Seol deserved better. Overall I thought this drama was mostly meh and that's why I'd give it a 7 / 10.
My Absolute Boyfriend (36/40): Da Da, is a woman who works as a special effects make-up artist but has a very cold-heart. She then, unexpectedly, falls in love with Yeong Goo, a humanoid robot programmed to be a perfect boyfriend. Yeong Goo begins to develop human emotions, and they end up in a love triangle with her famous actor childhood friend, Ma Wang Joon, who also falls for her.

Next week is the finale for this show and I want to say that it'll probs have a sad ending but from what I've learned about dramas is that for like 3/4s of the episodes we'll be like heartbroken and thinking that Young Goo is dying only for the magical solution to be found in the last second and for everything to work out. I really thought that might actually happen this week with the heart coolant that the Kronos team found but of course they're all morons at this company so Diana managed to get it. I don't understand why In Hyuk wasn't fired ages ago for working for Diana rather than Kronos and then the Swiss guy was enough of an idiot to be like well I was told that the branch manager was coming but any old Kronos employee will work! I wanted to smack all of them and then on top of everything else when Diana dropped the coolant, everyone stared in shock and I was like dude Da Da you're like two feet from it, run and catch the thing! I also don't really love that we tried to redeem Diana at the end but like whatever I suppose. Wang Joon is still the damn worst and it's fascinating that so many second leads are such complete assholes in recent dramas but I guess when the male lead is an angel the second lead can't be a nice guy too. I also might have missed something but I'm pretty sure that Young Goo went to Switzerland to get reset and get his emotions removed but I think he convinced Bo Won to leave his memories which makes me feel like nothing actually changed since coolant started leaking out of Young Goo's eyes at the end again. Oops?
Partners For Justice Season 2 (24/32): In crime and in life, all contact leaves a trace. There is no perfect crime and our hero and heroine have the ultimate cooperation. This drama continues the tale of a forensic scientist and a prosecutor who make the best of teams.

I'm starting to honestly feel super bad for Dr Jang but I also don't entirely understand why he hasn't checked into therapy because of his DID cause he clearly knows about Dr K and that Dr K is doing kinda sketch things but like does Dr Jang just not care enough to help himself or was he assuming that cause Dr K doesn't kill that he's okay? It just seems irresponsible to me... The poor thing was also hallucinating his mom and wasn't that just crazy too? I was assuming that he was off to kill Ji Han but it's also possible he goes for the tax guy or his pregnant wife. It's exhausting watching the bad guys run around do the most while our heroes are stuck with the messes. I was truly thrilled though when the NFS destroyed the prosecutor in charge cause that asshole has literally been the worst this season especially around Ji Han and I really wanted him to get punished. Unfortunately it looks like he might be getting away with it for now but with two weeks left of this show, I assume he must be caught unless this show wants to have another season. I mean what a dumbass. I said last week that revealing everything to the public as the investigation goes on was extremely idiotic cause he basically wrote out the narrative at the start and because of that any time he received contradictory information he had to struggle to fit it with the narrative and the public reamed him for it. I had a feeling that the schizophrenia guy didn't do it from the start cause the show was pushing that narrative too hard and I was proud to have my theory proven that the stabbings were done post death but I guessed she died from natural causes (like a heart attack or something) though we were never given an answer to what really happened.
Search: WWW (12/16): Bae Ta Mi works as a director for a big web portal company. She is in her late 30's and is quite competitive. With her competitiveness, Ta Mi enjoys success. The methods she uses to win has her wondering if she is doing the right thing with her life. Has she sacrificed too much of her personal life for success? Park Mo Geon is a man in his 20's and is a gifted composer. He creates music for video games. Mo Geon meets Ta Mi at an arcade. He falls in love with her due to her competitive spirit.

The absolute best thing that happened this week was Mo Geon being pouty about Ta Mi not showing how jealous she was that he went to a middle school reunion and asking her to show him only for her to turn him down at first and then break it out later. I was legitimately laughing so hard during the scene were she yelled at him that I had to rewind and watch it again cause I missed some of the dialogue. It's a little annoying that Ta Mi's new friend ended up seeing Mo Geon as her first love but I'm pretty sure he doesn't feel the same way so realistically she shouldn't care but because this is a drama she might just and honestly as long as they don't break up AGAIN I'll be fine cause we've seen this couple break up too many times to count. Over on Scarlett's side, it was super sad seeing her break poor little Ji Hwan's heart over and over cause he's the puppy of this show and the way he deflated when Scarlett called herself his fan was so sad. He was genuinely moved to tears when he saw that billboard in the subway and if that wasn't the sweetest thing I don't know what is! It was also interesting to find out that it was Jin Woo sending Ga Gyeong the photos of himself from the start but I had an idea that it was him cause Ga Gyeong clearly didn't care enough to have him followed but I also thought it could have been his mom too in a way so the fact that Jin Woo did this to allow Ga Gyeong more leverage in their divorce was just as sweet as their relationship always is. Also did I or did I not call it that the VP was totally going to be an asshole? He's falling into the same pitfall that Unicon did and he doesn't even know it. You agree to a small thing here and a small thing there and suddenly Barro becomes KU Group's own personal playground.
DROPPED Woman With A Suitcase (6/16): Cha Geum Joo was once an office manager with a thriving career, but that takes a major hit when she is penalized for violating the Attorneys-at-Law Act and sent to prison for it. The drama follows the success story as she comes back as an ex-con, and follows her dream to become an outstanding lawyer.

Dropping this drama might not have been entirely fair of me but here we are. I originally started this show cause the synopsis made it sound very similar to Suspicious Partner which is one of my favorite dramas of all times and though there was a lot I enjoyed in this show, the actual reason I dropped it was cause I fell head over heels for Lee Joon's character Ma Suk Woo. This wouldn't have been a bad thing except it literally got to the point where I only wanted to watch the drama for him and wanted to fast forward the rest which sucked cause not only wasn't he the main character but he was also the second lead. I had second lead syndrome for days and honestly it might have been better if Suk Woo had his own loveline but because he wasn't, I found myself disliking Bok Geo even though at first I thought him charming and I did think he and Geum Joo had chemistry. I wanted to like Bok Geo and Geum Joo's relationship but then Suk Woo would show up with his sweet puppy smile and his boundless energy and his intense need to be a just lawyer and I would die all over again. Maybe it's cause I've had terrible luck all week with attempting to binge dramas but I didn't have the patience to sit through this show when I didn't care for the main relationship cause even if I did finish it, it wouldn't have had a high score on my part anyway. 

CDRAMA


Deep In My Heart (18/28): A story about unraveling mysteries and healing follows a man with special abilities and a woman with a dual personality. Kong Yi Fei has many identities. He is a music teacher at a liberal arts school and a criminal psychologist with a talent to see the past through the sense of touch. Han Bing is a hot-blooded female reporter whose other self is a soul that is raging wild. The two meet after being accidentally pulled into a serial murder case. Together with their detective friend Xu Gao Sheng, they work together to capture the real culprit.

Omg is Dr Wu really Li Xin Rui's dad? I feel it's so out of nowhere tbh cause we met Li Xin Rui's dad multiple times through flashbacks and like this is a different actor not to mention the fact that when would he have gotten a psychiatrist degree in prison? I did love the reveal though that he was the killer after all cause I got it moments before they showed his face over Miss Lin's hospital bed. I had been wondering for a while what Dr Wu's plan was with Han Bing and Han Xue cause his interest in her was sketch from the start in the police station and at first I thought maybe he wanted Han Xue to be the dominant personality so that he could use her in his plans but I realized during his yelling confrontation with Han Xue that of course he wants to get rid of Han Xue and quickly cause she was the one who saw his face in the club so if he gets rid of Han Xue, then he can get away with all these murders cleanly. I am glad though that Yi Fei figured out the truth about the personalities and I kind of wish we had more moments of him with Han Xue after he realized the truth cause I want him to show her that she has nothing to fear from him loving Han Bing so she can let her go. I'm also really curious as to why Yi Fei's dad seems to uncomfortable every time the case from 15 years ago comes up cause to my knowledge he tried to save the girl and then took her heart to be donated so unless he purposefully let the girl die to get her heart for his son, I don't know why he would be so upset by the whole thing. He's claimed it's just cause Yi Fei will die if he keeps using his psychometry cause it causes heart palpations but again that has nothing to do with 15 years ago. I was also really surprised that the hit-and-run guy was caught and put on death row in like two episodes and that scapegoat was killed too.
Hello Debate Opponent (24/30): Freshman Bai Yu studies Culture Industry Management at Yingli University. He mistakenly attends the new member selection meeting of the debate club and ends up joining the club together with Yi Xiao Xi and others. Final-year student Gao Ting Ting, who dreams of winning the national University Debate Championship, now puts all her hopes on the new team. But the teacher in charge wants to give their practice room away, and in order to keep the room, Ting Ting’s team has to place first in the university’s own debate contest. Will their team of rookies with clashing personalities be able to achieve it?

As I thought last week the math department totally cheated and because of that they were removed from the debate and our Literature team was back in. It was super strange though that the competition with Commerce happened so quickly but I guess it makes sense since we're coming up on the end of this show. Since we won our Top 8, we're now in the Top 4 meaning that we're in the semi-finals and I have a pretty clear feeling that however everything shakes up, we'll be facing the Law department in the finals cause it just feels right in terms of writing to have our first major loss be the one we beat in the finals to take home the prize. I do have to admit the amount of cheating the Commerce department tried to do was super strange cause like if math was kicked out for stealing debate notes, why would commerce turn around and try that again? We also progressed on the romance front with Ting and Qing Bei because now they're officially a couple and Ting decided to follow her dreams and go to master school rather than get a job like her parents wanted her to. Xiao Xi knows she loves Bai Yu and I think around New Year Bai Yu knows he loves Xiao Xi but neither are admitting to their feelings and that's a bit annoying cause I don't want the show to end with them finally getting together since the time after first getting together is the cutest. Even Sun Qing has kinda sorta gotten together with Yao Shen though they've agreed to wait until after the competition to officially date. 

xoxo Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment