Saturday, May 15, 2021

What Dramas Am I Watching This Week?

So here's what I'm watching this week! Of course the list is split by country and the amount of episodes I've seen so far are written below! There will be spoilers from now on so if you aren't caught to the episode number on list, you might want to go watch that episode and then come back! If you're interested in previous reviews, click here and if you want to see a list of my Favorite Asian OTPs and Ships, click here!

KDRAMA


Doom At Your Service (2/16)
: Tak Dong Kyung has been working hard ever since her parents passed away. Her life seemed more stable after working as an web novel editor for 6 years, but then she gets diagnosed with a brain cancer. She blames her unlucky life and wishes to curse everything to disappear, which unintentionally calls Myeol Mang, a messenger between humans and gods, to appear. He says that he can grant her wishes. As her last hope, she makes a contract with Myeol Mang for a hundred days to live how she wants, risking her everything.

You ever just watch a show for the first time and think damn this show is going to hurt me so good? That's what I'm feeling here. I was honestly so excited for this drama to come out cause it was Park Bo Young's first project since Abyss which I didn't love and I absolutely adore Seo In Guk so I had high hopes and fortunately they were met. This show reminds me a lot of Goblin mixed with Angel's Last Mission: Love and I'll be really curious to see if it ends happily or tragically cause I could see it going both ways. In this world there is a Deity and a Doom who are life and death respectively. They come into existence through human's willpower and every once in a while Doom grants a wish. This time he was interested in Dong Kyung who is a terminally ill girl floating through life unhappy. They make a contract in which he extends her life to 100 days and during that time she has to make a wish or the person she loves the most will die. I already dig the chemistry between the two and I can already see this whole thing ending with Dong Kyung never making a wish but since the person she loves the most is Myeol Mang then he would die too and the two can have a new human life together in their next reincarnation. The other interesting thing is that I don't know if Lee Soo Hyuk is playing the second lead to Dong Kyung and Myeol Mang or if he's actually the male lead part of the love triangle between Ji Na and Hyun Gu. The part of me that fell in love with Kang Tae Oh in Run On wants him to be the male lead for the second couple but the rest of me is just so in love with our main leads and into both Soo Hyuk and Tae Oh that I don't have a horse in the race.
Imitation (2/12)
: Lee Ma Ha is a member of the new K-pop girl group Tea Party, formed by Ji Hak, who was once the manager of the famous boy group Shax, but resigned after the sudden disappearance of member Eun Jo in the middle of a concert. Prior to joining Tea Party, Ma Ha was a member of the group Omega III, which disbanded on its debut day due to a tragic incident involving a former trainee at the group's company. This led Ma Ha to support herself by performing as an impersonator of the popular solo singer La Li Ma, gaining her public notoriety. Starting anew with Tea Party, Ma Ha finds herself repeatedly crossing paths with Kwon Ryok, the center and most popular member of Shax who is still haunted by Eun Jo's disappearance three years later. While Ryok initially dislikes Ma Ha due to her imitation of Li Ma, the two eventually begin to grow interested in one another and start a secret relationship that could put both of their careers in jeopardy. Meanwhile, Lee Yu Jin, Ma Ha's loyal friend who is the center of the rising boy group Sparkling, has been in love with Ma Ha since their idol trainee days. When he notices the budding relationship between Ma Ha and Ryok, he determines to protect her from Ryok and lead Sparkling to beat out Shax as the most popular boy group in the industry.

I was actually really excited for this show cause there's something about idol dramas that I absolutely find fascinating so I was expecting some sort of mix between Idolm@ster KR and Top Management but surprisingly this show ended up feeling a lot darker than I expected and I'm so down! It feels more like we're taking a look at the darker side of kpop than the fun side and I'm interested in finding out what's going on. I have a feeling that Annie and Eun Jo were dating and maybe she got pregnant so when the top brass found out they kicked her out. I'm not sure why that would lead to her killing herself and I'm not sure what exactly happened to Eun Jo but I'm open to all possibilities! The CEO of Ryok's agency looks totally sketch but I like the way it's focusing on the daily grind of idols. I also really like that for once we have two idols that are going to fall in love rather than a male idol and a female manager or intern like usual cause it gives us something new. I mean would I have preferred if Ma Ha wasn't the struggling idol to the superstar Ryok yes but the synopsis mentions that eventually she does become a star so I'm hoping it won't be long now. We haven't actually seen much of Ryok and Ma Ha together yet but I like that they both seem like such good people.
Law School (9/16)
: When a grim incident occurs at their prestigious school, justice through law is put to a test by a tough law professor and his ambitious students. Yang Jong Hoon is a criminal law professor and a former elite prosecutor, whose harsh words make him the professor to steer clear of. At the same time, there’s something compelling about his strict teaching methods and his refusal to accept less than the best from his future juniors in the legal profession. Han Joon Hwi, a first-year law student, is at the top of his class. He’s a natural leader whose good looks and easy charm make him the perfect man - on paper. However, there’s an unexpected side to him that remains well-hidden. Kang Sol is another first-year law student who overcame childhood poverty and hardships by gaining special admission to the school. She walks a path of thorns due to her constant sense of deprivation and shame amidst the wealth and talent that surrounds her. Eventually, her passion will enlighten her on what it truly takes to be a good lawyer. Kim Eun Sook is a civil law professor who was once the head of the law school’s free legal clinic. Her natural air of authority and freewheeling personality earned her the reputation for being a master in court. Known for being a highly-relatable professor, she is the sole colleague Yang Jong Hoon dares to confide in.

Ugh I'm honestly so pissed that this show aired one episode this week cause I need my regular fix!! As it turns out a lot of my theories from last week were wrong including the one about Seung Jae being the son of the rapist and being married to Dan cause we actually met his wife this week and she's just a random doctor who's now pregnant. He was so so close to helping Professor Yang by taking the stand and supporting his alibi but now he's afraid that telling the truth with hurt her but I'm left wondering why he can't just go back to being a doctor then cause he's clearly good at that and he's a hacker too so he's got options! I also have to say the Prosecutor is seriously such a horrible person and every week I think he can't get worse only he does. I really do hope that Ji Ho and Joon Hwi are able to take him down. The other highlight of the week was when Professor Yang became Ye Seul's lawyer though I'm not entirely sure how that's possible given that he's a murder suspect on his own but I guess that since he was removed from his professor gig that he's legible? But seriously my heart broke for Ye Seul this week and how she did nothing wrong but was drowning and it super sucks that she's the victim and yet she's the one who has to drop out of law school just cause her boyfriend's dad is in politics and controls practically the entire law field!
Sell Your Haunted House (10/16)
: Ji Ah, a woman who has inherited exorcism abilities from her mother, is the owner of Daebak Realty, a company that specializes in selling haunted houses. Ji Ah looks perfect and is also brilliant, but her hot temper makes her fists fly before her words. One day, Ji Ah encounters a conman named In Beom who specializes in exorcism fraud. Late at night when Daebak Realty operates, In Beom visits Ji Ah to make an offer. He suggests that they team up to exclusively sell houses that are haunted by vengeful spirits and lingering ghosts. Can the two get along well and deal with house prices, ghosts, and their sorrowful stories?

This week was the fallout from Ji Ah and In Beom finding out the truth about each other and I liked seeing the path they traveled down from Ji Ah feeling betrayed to slowly realizing that she was too harsh on him and that he was a victim too. I still think the CEO played a bigger role than we know but I also want to know how he's connected to Hwa Jung and what her secret is but of course our heroes can't find out the truth without him since In Beom's uncle is following the CEO around all the time. I do wonder if In Beom calls out to him if the uncle will snap back out of his rage for two seconds but it's possible that after all this time he's forgotten everything other than his anger. What I'm curious about though is why the uncle hasn't been tormenting the CEO like other ghosts do or is the CEO just ignoring it cause he's a psychopath? I do think I was right in guessing that the detective will end up joining our side cause he did help our heroes with that murderer and it's clear that he's starting to question if ghosts really exist but even if he doesn't exactly believe in ghosts, everything the CEO did was illegal in human terms and that should be enough. I also want to shout out how married Ji Ah and In Beom are without them even knowing and it will never cease to stop amusing me how he's the softness to her doom and gloom.
So I Married An Anti-Fan (4/16)
: Hoo Joon is a top star while Geun Young is a magazine reporter. For a potential news article, Geun Young decides to attend an opening ceremony for a club. There, she witnesses top star Hoo Joon's violent behavior and she also vomits on him by accident. This leads to Geun Young losing her job. Believing that Hoo Joon was behind her firing, she decides to get him back by demonstrating in front of Hoo Joons management office. Slowly, she begins to receive media coverage on her demonstration and soon becomes famous as an anti-fan. A PD approaches Geun Young about participating in a reality TV show which revolves around the idea of a top star and their anti-fan living together. Being unemployed, she decides to accept the offer. Meanwhile, Hoo Joon is offered the same reality TV show and accepts to try to improve his image. Hoo Joon and Geun Young try to give each other a hard time on the reality show, but soon start to fall for one another.

This week worked a lot better for me and I'm not sure if it's cause I changed the lens I was originally watching this show with or if I was super in the mood for a lighthearted romp like this but either way I found myself endeared by the characters and the plot more than I thought I would. I still think the reasoning for Geun Young and Hoo Joon living together is lame but I kinda love the way he's all bark and no bite cause he's bitch and bitch about this thing or that but in the end do the thing that Geun Young wants anyway. Their first kiss was hilarious and I still adore their chemistry but I'll be really interested to see when the relationship between the two will go from enemies to lovers. I wonder if he'll actively start using her to prove to JJ and In Hyung that he's moved on and whether he'll tell Geun Young what's going on. I'm also really into the way the show is filming a variety show and I was really surprised at how that whole thing worked so well cause if you remember last week I was not into it! I kinda do hope that with Hoo Joon finding out that Geun Young and the Chef knew each other that he'll find out what happened between them cause I high key hate that the Chef acts like the breakup was entirely Geun Young's fault as if he was the one not cheating and pretending and I want Hoo Joon to be protective of her making her see him in a different light!
Taxi Driver (10/16)
: Do Gi has lived more honestly than anyone else as an officer in the Special Forces. Yet, when a serial killer murders his mother, he spends his days in agony. While feeling wronged and broken, Do Gi meets Jang Sung Chul, who recruits Do Gi to work for his company, Rainbow Taxi. Far from an ordinary taxi service, Rainbow Taxi is a secret organization that avenges victims whom the law didn’t protect. Here, Do Gi becomes a star driver who delivers satisfying revenge. Meanwhile, Ha Na is a prosecutor who investigates Rainbow Taxi. She is furious with their lawless behavior, but at the same time, she feels confused to see them solve cases that the law cannot. Between those who believe that revenge embodies true justice and those who pursue the outlaws, Do Gi seeks what justice truly means.

This show is honestly just so much fun and I live to see what new and crazy role Do Gi will be playing each week. Something about Do Gi's character is hitting all the right buttons for me so that suddenly I'm finding myself falling for him more than I've fallen for any of Lee Je Hoon's roles before. This week we dealt with voice phishing and it was absolutely hilarious watching him low key seduce the boss lady cause it's like dudes we'd all be seduced if we were her! I also feel like I should shout out what a complete badass Ha Na is and how she managed to uncover everything in like five minutes though I can't help but wonder why the Rainbow Taxi underestimated her so much. Like I was saddened at the fact that Kyung Goo's ingenious plan to pretend to fish after being caught by her meant nothing given that she saw Do Gi driving into Sung Chul's garage with his deluxe taxi. I am starting to see the bigger picture here though given that this show can't really just be weekly cases and I think it'll be Chairwoman Baek who we'll have to team up with Ha Na to take down. I mean she's straight up murdering people now and I can't imagine that her double crossing Sung Chul will go down.

xoxo Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment