Saturday, December 18, 2021

What Dramas Did I Finish This Week?

Hello and welcome back! These are the dramas I finished this week. If you're interested in previous reviews, click here and if you want to see a list of my Favorite Asian OTPs and Ships, click here!

KDRAMA


FINISHED
 
Happiness (12/12): A deadly new strain of a virus is spreading throughout the city. An apartment building that is home to people from different classes remains in quarantine. Its residents must survive in their new habitat fearing both the virus and the potential conflicts between disparate social groups. Yoon Sae Bom has good judgment allowing for quick decision-making. She is self-righteous and unable to tolerate injustice. Not having grown up in a healthy environment, she's determined to live comfortably in a complicated world. Detective Jung Yi Hyun, primarily in charge of violent crimes, now struggles to keep the apartment residents safe. A former baseball player, a knee injury forced his early retirement. Han Tae Seok was once a military information agent who became a pharmaceutical company executive. He is well-placed to deal with infectious diseases.

I was really really excited for this drama to come out since it was going to be the first drama that the love of my life Park Hyungsik did after he got out of the military and it also helped that it seemed to be the first drama Han Hyo Joo did after W: Two Worlds as well! I was worried though that I would be let down after having such high expectations given that the last two actors I was excited to see make their returns after the military didn't pan out so well but luckily for me that wasn't the case here. I actually had a blast with this show and how much it reminded me of Sweet Home given that it was basically a zombie movie set in one apartment complex. I loved the story and the action but more than that I loved our two lead characters. Both were super badass but also caring and gentle when they needed to be. I loved that the two were fake married but basically were more married than any of the real couples we met in this show and that they alternated between who played good and bad cop! The ending was a little too quickly resolved but I didn't end up caring that much cause I had so much fun with it. I loved how despicable almost every other human was cause as we all know not only does fear bring out the worst in people but we also know after everything that happened in the real world over these past two years that people don't really band together in crisis either so I can never say what happened in this apartment building wasn't realistic. 9.5 / 10

FINISHED 
Idol: The Coup (12/12): A story about a failed idol group's last journey and their desperate attempts to prevent disbandment. Cotton Candy only needs a one time hit to save their group, but it's not as easy as it sounds. Everything is going wrong for Cotton Candy, but the members can't let go of their friendship and dreams.

I am truly such a sucker for idol dramas cause I think we're all fascinated by the glitz and glamour of that kind of world and it's especially fun when a drama looks at the dark and ugly side too. I originally thought this drama reminded me a lot of Imitation with the set up being that a failed idol group tries to become famous again but this show was leagues and leagues better than that one minus the fact that this drama never actually pulled the trigger on any romances. It sucks but it's also so realistic that with the absurd number of idol groups out there that if one doesn't hit it big the first time it's hard to imagine that a company would feel pity for them and try again but at the same time all idols are so talented and a lot of times the things that makes them fail isn't themselves! When our Cotton Candy group got the media attention and a song that fit them they succeeded. I actually really adored their song Finale and I'll definitely be downloading it. In terms of the characters Jenna was obviously my favorite and I really shipped her with Ji Han but I was really just thankful that she didn't end up with CEO Cha cause that's what I was more worried about! All in all this was such a good idol drama and if you like the concept for this show then you'll love the execution! 9.5 / 10

xoxo Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment