Thursday, December 30, 2021

Top 10 TV Shows Of 2021

Hi everyone! As promised, I'm back with my Top 10 Favorite TV Shows of 2021! Again, this list is based on my personal opinions and may have spoilers. I'm going to start with some honorable mentions which are some shows that I binged this year but that aren't on air anymore followed by my actual Top 10 list! If you want a refresher, check out my Top 10 TV Shows Of 2013Top 10 TV Shows Of 2014Top 10 TV Shows Of 2015Top 10 TV Shows Of 2016Top 10 TV Shows Of 2017Top 10 TV Shows Of 2018Top 10 TV Shows Of 2019 and Top 10 TV Shows Of 2020 as well as my Favorite YouTube Videos and My TV Show OTPs & Ships lists!! Fair warning, there may be spoilers below so keep that in mind!

What If...?

Coming in at number 10 is What If! So we're all surprise that the last show on my list would be a Marvel one but I think something about the fact that this show is kinda outside MCU canon and animated makes it feel like it had less stakes than the others. I also have to say that the standalone aspect of this show made for a mixed bag cause it meant that there were weeks that I really enjoyed myself and weeks that I was tuning out though I liked the way it all tied together at the end and that this show basically redeemed Ultron as a villain cause it was the first time I was actually scared for him and the consequences of his evil plots!  

Stargirl

At number 9 is Stargirl! So I ended up liking this season a ton more than the previous one mostly cause now that everyone who was important knew Courtney's secret we could see a lot more fun family kicking ass time and honestly between this and Superman & Lois apparently this is a thing that I've always wanted but never known I needed. I loved the villain of the season and the way it redeemed others from last season but of course given that it's so low on my list there were flaws. I really didn't care for any of the team splitting nonsense this season gave us and I'm still torn over Cameron's role in this show but other than that it's a good season of a good show.

Legends Of Tomorrow

Coming in at number 8 is Legends Of Tomorrow! It's honestly kinda sad how far this show has fallen from my favor cause honestly even a season ago I would have ranted and raved about the fact that this is my favorite superhero show on air right now. Like don't get me wrong it's not a bad show anymore and it's definitely not Flash levels of unwatchable but I think I'm just bitter about the fact that the show had to write off Constantine's character cause of the DC overlords needing him in the movies and the fact that removing him removed a lot of Zari 2.0's screen time when she's my favorite in this show. I did think it was creative of this recent season to force our characters to stay in one time period for an extended amount of time and I am open to seeing what's next when the midseason break is over.

Wandavision

At number 7 is Wandavision! This show is hilarious cause I really couldn't decide where it deserves to go cause honestly when I heard about all the Marvel Disney+ that were slated to come out this year this one was probs bottom of the list and having watched it all it's still not my most favorite storyline but I can't help wanting to put it higher on my list just cause of how I can't separate the fan hype from the actual show. This was the first Marvel thing we had gotten in almost two years since Endgame came out and it was coming out weekly so though in hindsight our expectations were too high it was so much fun to speculate week in and out. I also have to say this show succeeded on one level just for making me actually care about Wanda when before I really didn't and for giving us Agatha who's a gem.

Hawkeye

Coming in at number 6 is Hawkeye! Honestly two weeks ago this might have ended up higher on my list than 6 but the finale didn't do this show all that much in my eyes which is why it's here. I really liked Kate Bishop as a character and I was thrilled that Clint didn't end up dying at the end like I was afraid of. I also loved that we got Kingpin and Yelena though I think both were a little underutilized. Kingpin wasn't nearly as terrifying as he was in Daredevil in this show and I think that can be chalked up to him being off screen for most of this show but Yelena's writing was totally all over the place. It made no sense that she was so sure that Natasha would never sacrifice herself for the greater good when that was Natasha to the core and it also made no sense how easily Clint convinced her to see the truth. I did really like the emphasis on trick arrows though and that chase through the city might still be one of the best moments in this show.

Loki

At number 5 is Loki. Okay so look Loki has always been one of my favorite Marvel characters so at first glance you'd think that would make my ranking of this show feel unfair but I think that actually it was a disadvantage for this show cause that meant that I would have much higher expectations for this show going on and yet this show hit them anyway. I loved the characterization of Loki throughout this show and the way we saw him go from the villain in Avengers to the antihero in Thor Ragnarok and find love even if it's with a version of himself. I loved the timeline shenanigans and the fact that it introduced Kang to us in such a perfect way when I think he'll end up being an overarching Marvel villain for this phase!

Wheel Of Time

Coming in at number 4 is Wheel Of Time! So to be honest this might be a show that no one is watching cause I haven't heard anyone talk about it but it's an adaptation of a popular book series that my brother is into which is why I ended up checking it out and it ended up being a lot better than I thought it would be. I adore fantasy shows and I never think there's enough out there which is why if one can keep my attention for long enough I think it's worth a shot. So yes I've heard it's a shitty book adaptation but in my opinion it's a pretty solid tv show outside of that. Moiraine is the best character though Lan is up there too and I love the world that this show has built. Yes the pacing for this show is a little off and yes I feel like Rand who's actually supposed to be the main character of this show is one of the weakest with the dumbest rationale for why he does what he does but I have higher hopes for all that to get better. I do also hope that future seasons will expand the complexity of the characters and the world so it's not as simplistic as it is now. 

Leverage: Redemption

At number 3 is Leverage: Redemption! So this show is more of a sequel series to the original Leverage rather than a reboot and I think that's one of the best parts of it. The show feels exactly like an extension of the original season with the same vibe and characters and actions but with a slight upgrade so we're facing more modern day problems. Every case is exciting and fun to watch and I'm so glad that it stuck with it's episodic approach rather than upgrading to the more modern day serial telling of a story cause that means we got more cons and we actually got to see our heroes win every episode. It's truly a love letter to the original show and I really hope we get more.

Superman & Lois

Coming in at number 2 is Superman & Lois. This show was a true shock to me when I first watched it cause I went through a whole emotional rollercoaster with it. When I first heard about this show I was hesitant to care given how little I've liked Supergirl since season 2 was the only good season in my opinion but when the trailers came out I was shocked at how beautiful it looked. Now having seen the whole first season it's hands down the best superhero show airing on tv right now. The acting, writing, and cinematography are out of this world. Characters actually feel like real people with the way they react to situations and nothing feels cheesy or overdone. The Kent family feels like they would die for each other and I love the way they all work together to get things done. I also love that Lois and Clark both have real purposes in this show so that neither feel like they need to reduce themselves in order to make the other have a purpose like Barry and Iris on the Flash. If you haven't seen this show by now you have to!

The Witcher

And finally last but not least my number 1 show of 2021 is The Witcher! I mean seriously could it have been anything else? I absolutely adored the first season of this show and somehow this second season upped it's game in ways that I didn't expect and made me love it even more than the first. I've never read the books for this series but I've heard it's an excellent adaptation of them which makes me happy for those fans since it's so rare that it happens. I loved that this season expanded on the world in a way that we not only saw more kingdoms and players but that it did the thing I said Wheel Of Time didn't and made everything more complex. I loved that as the show went on we started to question if anyone is on the right side or if everyone is a different shade of bad and who we should root for. I loved that our characters finally all met up and are working towards a goal even if we don't yet know what it is. Every actor is hitting it out of the park with their acting and of course the fights and the cinematography are to die for!

And that's the end of my Top 10 TV shows of 2021 list! I'll see you all tomorrow for my Top 10 Asian Dramas of 2021!

xoxo Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment