Monday, December 30, 2019

Top 10 TV Shows Of 2019

Hi everyone! As promised, I'm back with my Top 10 Favorite TV Shows of 2019! Again, this list is based on my personal opinions and may have spoilers. There was a lot of great TV out this year so I'm going to start with some honorable mentions which has some shows that are still on air but that just missed the top 10 list! If you want a refresher, check out my Top 10 TV Shows Of 2013, Top 10 TV Shows Of 2014, Top 10 TV Shows Of 2015, Top 10 TV Shows Of 2016, Top 10 TV Shows Of 2017 and Top 10 TV Shows Of 2018 as well as my Favorite YouTube Videos and My TV Show OTPs & Ships lists!! Fair warning, there may be spoilers below so keep that in mind!


Up first are my honorable mentions: shows that did not make my list of favorites for the year but still shows that I enjoyed watching!

Titans

My first honorable mention is Titans! I was truly not a fan of season 1 of Titans for so many reasons but season 2 was definitely leagues better though in the end it did devolve into a mess which is the main reason that it's not on my top 10 list this year. The Deathstroke storyline started out so strongly and ended with everyone being confused as what we experienced but I think the major problem with this season was it's writing cause instead of letting the characters tell the story, it forced the strangest decisions for the characters in order to get from point A to B. Having said that I did enjoy a lot of episodes this season and some of the characters on this show are my babies so I couldn't help but shout it out. Dick Grayson is such a badass and I loved watching his journey to become Nightwing this season and I still adore Gar to pieces even though I will constantly wish he had more screen-time. If you're interested, click here to see more weekly reviews and content!

The 100

My next honorable mention for this year is The 100! This show is almost consistently one of my favorites cause I love the way the show looks at humanity and morality and how in times of war or crisis people will either hold firm to their morals or place the ends before the means. This season was very interesting cause we looked at immortality and were on an alien planet and I loved the way this show went so off the rails! I will never stop shipping Bellamy and Clarke (their actors are married in real life!!) but I low key wouldn't mind if they just loved each other so desperately in a platonic manner. They're two sides of the same coin and I adore that about this show. I enjoyed the villains a lot this season but I do have to admit that the ending sort of took the show in a weird direction which is why it's not on my top 10. Click here to see more in-depth weekly reviews and other content!


Now onto the Top 10 list which goes from 10 to 1 with number 1 being my favorite drama of the year!

Agents Of SHIELD

Coming in at number 10 is Agents Of SHIELD! This is just as sad for me as it is for any of you that are reading this and are fans of SHIELD. I just wasn't a huge fan of this past season despite how excited I was to check this show out. I'm afraid that this show peaked at season 4 and it's all been downhill from there. I really didn't care for the villains this year and it felt super weird to have Clark Gregg playing someone who wasn't Coulson which led to a feeling that the show was spinning it's wheels a bit. I did enjoy everything up in space though and seeing Fitz and Enoch together as well as the way the show used the Chromocons which does make me fairly excited for the final season airing this summer but that's not enough to push this show higher up than number 10 on my list. If you're interested, click here for more content!

Lucifer

At number 9 is Lucifer! This is the first time that this show has been on my list of top 10 shows but this season just gave me everything I ever wanted from this show which sucks cause the next one will be the last! Why save this show Netflix if you were just going to cancel it two seasons later?? I was so excited that Chloe finally learned the truth about Lucifer actually being the devil and I loved watching her accept that fact with all the grace of being a detective even though it was rough watching her dislike Lucifer and be scared of him. Eve was also such a highlight cause she was the perfect mix of naive and pure but mischievous and I shipped her so hard with Maze! The ending for the season was so much fun and I loved the cliffhanger cause it makes me want the next season now!

Gotham

Coming in at number 8 is Gotham! Technically this show came to an end airing it's final season this year but I wanted to shout it out anyway cause I adored it so much. I know so many people hate this show but I'm of the mind that I love crazy kooky shows and Gotham was exactly that. I don't need to follow everything closely and things don't have to be realistic or follow real life cause why watch a tv show except for a fantastical approach to life? I loved seeing where our characters ended up in the future and how everyone changed from the first day we met them all the way back in season 1. The whole No Man's arc was super fun as well and I will miss these characters so much! Click here for more in-depth weekly reviews and other content!

Riverdale

At number 7 is Riverdale! Riverdale has consistently been one of my favorite shows from the moment it started airing which is totally crazy cause half the time I don't understand what's happening but I can't help it! I do end up embracing the illogical story movement but at the same time I think one of the things I adore about the season that's currently airing is that it's a little more grounded in it's storylines so there's no insane serial killer out to covert everyone but at the same time the fact that each of our main characters have their own thing going does make the show feel a smidge less cohesive. Betty and Jughead of course are still my favorite characters and my favorite ship on the show with Cheryl being the least interesting and the one I could live without in general and it doesn't help that her story this season has been so completely insane. If you're interested, click here for more in depth reviews and other content!

Brooklyn Nine Nine

Coming in at number 6 is Brooklyn Nine Nine! This is another show that I have been almost religiously watching since it started though I don't think I've ever had it on a previous top 10 list but I just couldn't keep it out of my head as I tried to think of my favorite shows of the year! This show has everything from amazing characters to great comedy to a fantastic way of looking at such intense deep topics in a comedic manner while refusing to undercut them or make them sillier than they were. Jake and Amy have one of the healthiest relationships I've almost ever seen on tv and I love how almost every character is the opposite of the trope you would expect! Jake despite being the "cool" one is best friends with Charles rather than someone who makes fun of the dork and Amy despite being a Latina is the teacher's pet rather than the tough one and Holt is just all kinds of incredible with his dry wit. If you're not watching this show, you're seriously missing out!

The Chilling Adventures Of Sabrina

At number 5 is The Chilling Adventures Of Sabrina! So technically this might be cheating cause it was only the second half of season 1 that aired this year but I just loved this show so much that I had to thrown it on my list! I remember loving Sabrina The Teenage Witch when I was a kid so I was excited to see this new dark version and it's pretty much everything I could want! It's so dark and creepy and fun that I just can't put it into words. I love the world this show has built and all the characters we've gotten and the magical plots we have to deal with every week. The only thing I'm not a fan of is Sabrina's human friends who are super annoying tbh and the ironic thing is that though I adore Ross Lynch from Austin & Ally, my ship in this show is between Nick and Sabrina which low key sucks cause Sabrina is with Harvey in most canon so I know I'm going to be heartbroken!

Fruits Basket

Coming in at number 4 is Fruits Basket 2019! I refuse to call shenanigans on this being my number 4 cause it's my list and I make the rules so I say that an anime can be on my list of favorite tv shows. This is mostly cause I don't think I watched enough anime this year to make a top 10 and I just adored this anime to pieces so I couldn't help but want to shout it out! It's technically a remake of the 2001 version of this show which is an adaptation of a manga but I never really liked the original version of the anime so I started this one with high doubts only to be stunned with what I watched. Fruits Basket is so unique cause it takes what should be a run-of-the-mill shoujo anime and makes it into this deep and meaningful look at friendship and family and abuse and torture and what it means to love someone. There's humor and romance and tears and everything you could possibly want! Click here for more in-depth weekly reviews and other content!

The Magicians

At number 3 is The Magicians! Ugh lord I could gush about this show for days and days and I really wish people would stop sleeping on this incredible show cause it's absolute perfection. I've said before that it's like Harry Potter meets Narnia but that doesn't even cover the scope of how unique and fun this show is. Every single character is so multi-dimensional and they go through these wonderful arcs each season. I love that there's so much diversity in the cast from race to sex to sexual orientation though I do have to admit that this past season had a controversial finale which I was completely against for different reasons that most of the public did but I don't want to throw this show away cause everything else is perfect. It's meta in the funniest ways, it looks at such deep and dark topics without smacking you in the face about it and it just lets you have fun by kicking back, turning off your brain and diving into this world of magic!

Legends Of Tomorrow

Coming in at number 2 is Legends Of Tomorrow! I mean you had to have seen this coming by now right? So many of the shows that I love are so insane and that's because I prefer my tv to be entertaining and escapism so yes give me time travel and crazy plots and fun musical numbers and magic and demons and clones! This past season might have been one of the best this show has had and I feel so bad for anyone who only checked out the first season of this show and dropped it cause none of the seasons that followed the first were anything like the first! Sara is the most perfect human and I fell in love with Zari this past season and oddly enough her romance with Nate which I didn't think I needed but I think I'm just a sucker for tragedy so as soon as they threw reality wiping into the mix, I was sold! I will watch a million seasons of this show and so should you! If you're interested, click here for more weekly in depth reviews and other content!

Arrow

And finally, at number 1 is Arrow! I mean you had to have seen this coming right? I'm sorry that it's not more of a surprise twist but this is the final year that Arrow is airing so maybe next year we can try for something new! Oh god this show is ending this year and I don't know what to do with myself! Arrow was THE show that got me to fall back in love with superhero tv shows cause I used to watch all the animated ones back in the day but I fell off of them until I watched Arrow. Stephen Amell just kills it every single week as Oliver Queen the most perfect broody hero that has ever hero-ed. This last season was such a lovely goodbye to this show and the character Oliver Queen though I'll never not be bitter that Emily Bett Rickards decided that this was the year she wasn't going to appear on this show even though it was the last! I loved seeing Oliver and Diggle spend one last adventure together and for Oliver to meet his future children and show the world why he's the one that started it all so don't forget to click here for more weekly reviews and other content!


So that concludes my Top 10 TV Shows Of 2019 list and I'll see you all tomorrow for my list of Top 10 Asian Dramas Of 2019!

xoxo Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment