Sunday, December 29, 2019

Top 10 Movies Of 2019

Hello all my lovelies! I hope you all had a great holiday season and now it's that time of year again where I list my favorite movies and tv shows of the year! I've been doing these for about six years now so you should know the drill but if you don't, I'm going to be listing my Top 10 Movies of 2019 from 10 to 1 with number 1 being my favorite movie of the year! If you're interested, I also have Top 10 Movies of 2013Top 10 Movies of 2014Top 10 Movies of 2015Top 10 Movies of 2016, and Top 10 Movies of 2017, and Top 10 Movies Of 2018 as well as my Favorite YouTube Videos and My Movie OTPs & Ships lists! Anyway, let's get right to it with our top 10!

The Lion King

Coming in at number 10 is Lion King! Disney live-action movies are kind of like a coin toss. Sometimes they're amazing and sometimes they're terrible and unfortunately this one landed closer to the terrible side than the amazing one like Beauty And The Beast. Part of the problem was that Lion King is one of my most adored Disney animated movies so the fact that the "live action" version was basically a shot-for-shot remake really lended to the fact that the original was just so much better! It was hard to see any emotions in the photo-realistic animals and tbh most of the voice cast wasn't strong enough to show us those emotions and I'll never not be bitter that they decided to make Be Prepared which is one of the best Disney villain numbers into a spoken version! Having said that it was a fun enough jaunt and paired with the fact that I didn't watch that many movies this year, that's why it ended up on my list.

Shazam

At number 9 is Shazam! Is this a surprise? I know a ton of people adored this movie but honestly I think it was too safe if that makes sense cause I just felt meh during most of it. I like the concept and I like the uniqueness of the origin story and how most of the movie was just Billy being silly before he finally had to fight the villain but it all felt like something I'd seen before even if in fact it was more unique than most superhero movies. Having said that I did enjoy the villain and his fall into villainy totally made sense and I loved that the theme of the movie was about family so we got the entire Marvel Family.

Captain Marvel

Coming in at number 8 is Captain Marvel! Maybe this is unfair but like Shazam I was meh during most of this movie. I liked the plot of this movie and how it used Nick Fury and that we got to experience more alien worlds but Carol was just so boring as a lead. The entire movie everyone kept telling her to watch her emotions and all we got from Carol was a stoic face and I was sitting there like dude what emotions?? I loved Jude Law and was totally crushed when his character became the epitome of douche-y sexist bro but I was also low key bitter that the movie decided to switch things up and have the Skrulls be the good guys rather than the slightly better than Kree version in the comics. Having said that I do have to admit that I thought it was creative the way the movie went about showing us Carol's origin story through a case of amnesia and basically going backwards through her life and of course her powers are the damn coolest so there's that.

Knives Out

At number 7 is Knives Out! Dudes you know my love for murder mysteries and somehow this one almost squeaked by without me knowing about it but as soon as I realized that it was one, I was all in and I have to admit that I was low key disappointed by the whole thing... I didn't love that the story started as a series of flashbacks rather than us seeing the party sequentially which I know was probs the movie trying to be creative but tropes are well loved for a reason! It was interesting however having the whole mystery being told through the eyes of one of the suspects rather than the detective which gave us a sense of urgency but the pacing was a little strange cause there was a whole chunk of the movie where I was like wait are we almost done? Having said that I did love all the characters though and the way they were acted and portrayed and like a special shoutout needs to go to Chris Evans looking absolutely delectable in every single scene of this movie!

Jumanji: The Next Level

Coming in at number 6 is Jumanji: The Next Level! I adored the prequel to this movie so much that I was low key afraid to check this movie out but after I did I was so glad cause it was just as fun as I wanted it to be. I think half the fun of these movies are just watching the actors play weird characters and you can practically see how much of a blast the cast it having. Ironically this is one of the only action movies in which the plot and action matter so little cause we're all attached to the characters! I loved the idea of all the main characters ending up in new video game bodies cause it allowed them to have to relearn how to do well in this game and in a meta sense gave us a reason to go back and have a sequel so that it wasn't just a repeat of the first movie. Honestly I'm still stunned that this movie didn't flop!

Spiderman: Homecoming

At number 5 is Spiderman: Far From Home! Though I think I enjoyed Spiderman: Homecoming a lot more than this movie I still had plenty of fun! I really liked the version of Peter we got in this movie and how tired and worn down he was cause it's like he's just a kid and he's mourning the man who helped him become who he is and I totally understood why he latched onto Mysterio so quickly even though Mysterio was walking around with a villain sticker practically plastered to his forehead. I also loved seeing Ned and the whole cast again but I do think the romance with MJ kinda went from 0 to 100 in this movie and the whole Europe setting was totally underutilized cause there was nothing in this movie that said that it couldn't take place in NYC. I really loved the ending though cause it leaves so many cool places for the MCU to go.

Avengers: Endgame

At number 4 is Avengers: Endgame! Though I might be like the only person on this planet that wasn't blown away by Endgame, I was still so into watching this movie and having a blast doing it! I loved that this was a culmination of 10 years of our lives and that it gave such lovely endings to so many characters that we won't see again and gave so many characters a new path to walk. I wasn't the hugest fan of the whole time travel aspect of the movie cause it felt too much like one of those let's look back on all we've experienced kind of things but at the same time we got so many beautiful moments in the final fight with Thanos that I can't help but be excited. I do think that Thor was reduced to close too a joke for all the trauma he had been through and I just can't see him giving up and walking away from his people at the end of the film but I do think that Steve's ending was perfect for him cause my romantic heart thinks that he deserves to spend his life with the one woman he loved!

Star Wars: The Rise Of Skywalker

Coming in at number 3 is Star Wars: The Rise Of Skywalker! Surprised at how high this movie ended up being? Low key so am I! I haven't been the hugest fan of this new Star Wars trilogy and Last Jedi was honestly meh but I actually really ended up enjoying this conclusion to the Skywalker Saga. Maybe it has to do with my extremely low expectations going in but I didn't have any complaints with this movie and unlike many others I didn't nitpick at the plot holes cause I just straight up turned my brain off. Yeah yeah Palpatine returning was out of nowhere and yeah yeah a lot of this movie felt like course correcting from Last Jedi but I loved the way Rey and Ben were the heart of this movie and the return of Palpatine and Rey's parentage and the way that the movie used Leia after Carrie's passing! Leia's passing made me cry as did the final scene between Ben and Rey oddly enough which was super unexpected cause I never liked Ben until this movie!

Aladdin

Coming in at number 2 is Aladdin! Remember when I talked about how some Disney movies are hits earlier? Well this is one of those! I just can't describe to you just how much fun I had watching this movie and this is coming from a girl who's favorite Disney animated movie is Aladdin! I was a bit worried at the start of the film cause I didn't particularly think Mena who played Aladdin seemed like an Aladdin in posters but as soon as I saw him act, I was blown away! He was this perfect mix of smooth and dorky and charming all in one. Jasmine was stunning and just as feisty as I wanted her to be. I loved the small changes to the movie and how Jasmine was placed at the center and how her new goal was to become Sultan and how the movie picked some of the Broadway songs to throw in. Will Smith as the Genie was amazing and I loved that it was so different than the Robin Williams's genie. The colors and cinematography was perfect and if I had only one complaint it would be that I wasn't the hugest fan of this Jafar.

Pokemon: Detective Pikachu

And finally, at number 1 is Pokemon: Detective Pikachu! I mean how could it not have been?? I am a huge Pokemon fan having grown up with the cartoons (I was a Pokemon Advanced generation lover) and the games so of course I had to go see this movie but the surprise was in just how much of a blast I had! I mean yeah yeah the plot was totally ice thin and yeah yeah the final twist banked on the main character not recognizing his father's voice but seriously I could not care less about any of that! I loved seeing all the different Pokemon reimagined into real life and how they were the perfect mix of cute and real. I loved the world that the movie built and the way the Pokemon existed and helped. I loved Pikachu and his caffeine addiction! I just don't have enough words to describe how I squealed every other minute while sitting in the theater!


I'll see you all tomorrow for my Top 10 TV Shows of 2019!

xoxo Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment