Wednesday, December 29, 2021

Top 10 Movies Of 2021

Hello all my lovelies! What an absolute crazy year this has been! I hope you've all been safe and healthy and well and that you had a great holiday season. It's that time of year again where I list my favorite movies, tv shows, and asian dramas of the year! I've been doing these for about seven years now so you should know the drill but if you don't, I'm going to be listing my Top 10 Movies of 2021 from 10 to 1 with number 1 being my favorite movie of the year! If you're interested, I also have Top 10 Movies Of 2013Top 10 Movies Of 2014Top 10 Movies Of 2015Top 10 Movies Of 2016Top 10 Movies Of 2017Top 10 Movies Of 2018Top 10 Movies Of 2019, and Top 9 Movies of 2020 as well as my Favorite YouTube Videos and My Movie OTPs & Ships lists! 

The Suicide Squad

Coming in at number 10 this year is James Gunn's The Suicide Squad. It's technically a sequel to the original Suicide Squad but it could also act as a soft reboot given how poorly the first one did. I wasn't one of the many people who watched the first and despised it beyond measure but that doesn't mean that I couldn't also see how many flaws it had so I went into this one curious to see how Gunn would do with this world given that he's kicked ass with the Guardians. On the whole I had a blast and I liked that this version dialed up the campiness to 11 rather than try to be serious with the nonsense like the first did. The new characters were fun too though I was glad that Harley and Rick Flagg remained behind. It's nowhere near as emotional or hitting as some of my more favorite Marvel movies but it's a fun turn your brain off kinda flick.

Eternals

At number 9 is Marvel's Eternals. Speaking of Marvel movies here we are with my first Marvel pick. It's kinda surprising how low it is but truthfully it really was my least favorite of the Marvel movies that came out this year so it can't be helped! I think in concept this movie should have been better than it was but I think it honestly worked better as it prelude to more exciting things. My biggest problem with this movie was the fact that I just couldn't believe what it was trying to convince me. Like it tells you that all these Eternals have known each other for thousands of years but the chemistry between the characters made it feel like it was the first time they were meeting one another and no one felt like they really cared for one another given how easy it was for most of them to try to kill the others. Circe was our main character and yet I felt she barely had a character and I was pissed as all hell that Icarus died at the end rather than having to stick around and try to redeem himself like Loki did. 

Red Notice

Coming in at number 8 is Red Notice! So I know that this movie has basically become a meme and synonymous with the idea that a movie will do well if it just has a star cast and little plot but honestly I unironically had a blast with it. I absolutely adore shows and movies about heists or con artists so I was totally on board with the plot of this movie and though the twist was fairly obvious, I didn't have any problem enjoying the journey to the reveal! Yes the characters were a bit bareboned but really isn't it just enough to sit back and watch a fun adventure movie?

Night Teeth

At number 7 is Night Teeth! Now this movie might be one that you're scratching your heads about given that it's a Netflix movie that I feel like no one really watched but it popped up on my feed one day and I thought I'd give it a chance and it was a true blast! The movie is about vampires and basically how one human lands in the middle of a vampire civil war over who will lead them and falls in love with one of the vampires. I loved the thriller aspect of this movie and though the romance was basically instalove I was into it anyway! The ending was basically a fantasy but sometimes we need that given the times we're living in.

Zack Snyder's Justice League

Coming in at number 6 is Zack Snyder's Justice League. When I was making this list I have to say that I was honestly a little shocked to realize that this movie actually came out this year cause of how insanely long this year has felt! I remember not really liking the original and truthfully I never really had a stake in whether the Snydercut would come out but when the movie finally came out on HBO Max you know that I was still out here ready to check it out and I can say that it definitely was better than the original. This can definitely be chalked up to the fact that it had a much longer run time. On the whole plot beats remained similar though a lot hit differently cause we were shown them in different ways. Flash was definitely less goofy and Cyborg actually had a purpose and a fleshed out backstory. The villain was much better this time around and I can see why the hype was real this time.

King's Man

At number 5 is King's Man. This movie is actually the prequel to the Kingsman duology and though I never actually had the thought before that I needed it, I still went out and checked it out cause I think this world plays with a lot of fun James Bond parody tropes. I do still think the original Kingsman movie was the best of the bunch but this one had it's moments as well. I liked the idea of the whole war being the evil plot of one man and that this movie was set as a period piece rather than a modern spy film though I do wish that Gemma had more to do given she was the only woman in this movie to have speaking lines.

No Time To Die

Coming in at number 4 is No Time To Die. The irony hasn't escaped me seeing as I put an actual James Bond film in front of a James Bond parody film. Honestly I just got into the Bond films this year with a binge of every Bond from Connery to Craig and though this one is definitely not my favorite it still was a great watch for me. I do personally find that I connect more with the modern take on Bond but I think that's heavily due to the fact that I've grown up in this time so I prefer my Bonds to be a little more action oriented even if Craig's not the most charming and suave Bond I've seen. Rami was great as the villain and I liked the vague ending in which we're not certain of Bond's fate given that this is the last Craig film even if I prefer Vesper over Madeline as Bond's love interest.

Black Widow

At number 3 is Black Widow. This movie was postponed and delayed to hell until it finally released this year and honestly the only reason it's so high on the list is cause we had such a poor showing for films this year. I felt like this movie was long overdue and at this point there was no need to return to a character that was already dead in the Marvel universe but I think the movie was saved entirely due to Yelena's existance. I loved the way Florence Pugh played her and I love that she has stuck with the Russian accent every time we've seen her unlike Wanda who's accent comes and goes. I actually ended up liking the cast and the plot of this movie and I think it's crazy that if you really sit down and think about the message this movie portrayed about the Widow program it's totally insane and dark but that's why it works for me.

Shang Chi And The Legend Of The Ten Rings

Coming in at number 2 is Shang Chi And The Legend Of The Ten Rings. I absolutely adored this movie from start to finish and though it was an introduction I also liked that it didn't exactly play as an origin movie given that Shang Chi was already established and we really only went back into his world. I loved the mystical elements of this movie and I think Wen Wu was hands down maybe the best villain we've had in the MCU barring Loki though they feel like such different kinds of villains. Every fight was incredibly choreographed and the characters were all super fun. I mean yes I did think that maybe Katie was a little shoehorned in especially at the end with Wong but I also loved the fact that she and Shang could be friends and friends alone.

Spider-Man: No Way Home

And last but not least at number 1 is Spider-Man: No Way Home. I mean really what else could number 1 have been? Okay yes I did go back and forth over whether this or Shang Chi deserved to be in this spot but in the end I think the highs and lows of this movie hit harder than Shang Chi just cause we've seen these characters much longer. I loved that this movie was basically the live action Spiderverse movie and despite the fact that I think we all knew that Toby and Andrew would be in this movie, it didn't hit any less when they appeared not to mention the fact that Matt freaking Murdock showed up as well! I truly loved the plot of this movie and how different each Spiderman felt and yet also showcased the same goodness. The bittersweet ending really broke my heart and I don't think a single other movie other than maybe Infinity War destroyed a whole character's world as hard as this one did.


And with that we've come to the end of my Top 10 Movies of 2021 list. I'll see you all tomorrow for my Top 10 TV Shows of 2021!

xoxo Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment