Saturday, December 30, 2023

Top 10 TV Shows Of 2023

Hi everyone! As promised, I'm back with my Top 10 Favorite TV Shows of 2023! Again, this list is based on my personal opinions and may have spoilers. If you want a refresher, check out my Top 10 TV Shows Of 2013Top 10 TV Shows Of 2014Top 10 TV Shows Of 2015Top 10 TV Shows Of 2016Top 10 TV Shows Of 2017Top 10 TV Shows Of 2018Top 10 TV Shows Of 2019Top 10 TV Shows Of 2020Top 10 TV Shows Of 2021, and Top 10 TV Shows Of 2022 as well as my Favorite YouTube Videos and My TV Show OTPs & Ships lists!! Fair warning, there may be spoilers below so keep that in mind!

Coming in at number 10 is Transatlantic! This show actually isn't one I usually watch given that I usually lean towards more lighthearted stuff but I saw this show on Netflix one day and seeing that it was a miniseries I thought I would watch it out of boredom than anything else. I went in blind knowing nothing about what the show was about and who was in it which in a lot of situations is kinda the better way of doing something cause then anything good will surprise you! And that's exactly what this show did. Surprise me with how good it was! Any kind of story set in WWII is heartbreaking of course but I loved the tone this show took. It was able to balance dark with humor in a way that it didn't feel out of place. I loved all the characters and the main romances and I even loved the ending.

At number 9 is XO Kitty!! This show is sort of a sequel/spinoff to the All The Boys I've Loved Before film trilogy where it follows the youngest Covey sister as she moves to South Korea and goes to boarding school to be with her long distance boyfriend. It's an interesting show that's clearly trying to be a kdrama-lite but in a sense that it doesn't really hit any note as hard as it should in any situation. I did like the main cast and the plot was just light enough to turn my brain off with but I high key fell in love with who seems like the second male lead and it's gonna suck when Kitty totally doesn't end up with him if we do get a season 2.

Coming in at number 8 is Miss Scarlet And The Duke!! This is a show that I don't think I ever talked about loving on these Top 10 lists but given the fact that I actually seem to be a bit low on tv that I've watched this year, this gets a spot! Having said that I do really love this show! Something about it just makes it feel so low stakes that I forget that I watch this show and enjoy it once it's over! I adore the whole detective show set in a period piece thing that a lot of shows have been doing in the past few years and I love the intense chemistry between Eliza and William. I do wish there was a better reason for their will they won't they thing other than the fact that society would look down on Eliza if she was married to Will and still worked as a detective cause in all honestly Will as much as he gripes about her working doesn't seem like the man who would make her stop if they did get married so really their problem should be something more in order for us to believe their hesitance to be together.

At number 7 is The Witcher! This is a bittersweet entry on my list cause I have a feeling that I won't be finding any future season of this show to hit as hard as previous ones have since Henry Cavill is leaving and being replaced by Liam freaking Hemsworth of all people. Like I totally understand Henry's disappointment with this show (I see you every City Of Bones adaptation) but they couldn't find any other actor with a pulse to take over? It was especially sad that this was the last Henry Cavill season given that he and Yennefer have such good chemistry and this was the season that they were finally a team! The story is just ramping up and yet I have a feeling that this next season might be it's last unless a miracle happens and people really do end up liking Liam.

Coming in at number 6 is Star Trek: Strange New Worlds! In this past year I've really fallen down a Star Trek rabbit role cause I have been told for a while that Star Trek would totally be my thing but I was hesitant cause I'm a bit of a completionist so I knew if I wanted to get into Star Trek I would have to start from the beginning and go all the way through which is what I did and ironically Strange New Worlds became one of my favorites. Not only am I just a fan of modern day technology in terms of monsters and aliens but I just find the way the modern day tells stories to be more interesting. I love our main cast and especially Captain Pike who feels like the perfect blend of Kirk and Picard. Where Kirk was too much of an adventurer and constantly in danger, Picard almost never left his bridge. Both captains fit their shows (Next Gen felt more military in a fun way while OG was more about space adventures) but Pike brings this charm to his character that also makes me feel like he's worth following.

At number 5 is The Wheel Of Time!! I know this is probs a slap in the face to book readers since this show does stray quite a bit away from the source material but I'm just a tv watcher for this show and in all actuality I think this show is fun! Every week I'm sitting on the edge of my seat wanting more and I feel like paints the perfect picture as to how much I like this show. Moraine is so fascinating to watch and she really steals the show every time she's on screen. I love the world and the plot that this show follows and though I do think the pacing is strange (sometimes it feels like we're jumping from plot to plot and other times it feels like nothing's happening for episodes on end) in the end it keeps me entertained enough to put it this high on the list.

Coming in at number 4 is Loki!! This show is probs a surprise to no one given that the entire public is ranting and raving about how season 2 of Loki is singlehandly saving Marvel from flopping and given the fact that it's this high on my list, I sort of agree with that. Loki is still one of my most favorite Marvel characters and when I started this season I was a bit worried given that I liked season 1 so much and I was worried that season 2 would not hold up. In the end I feel like the first half of season 2 was a bit wonky and Sylvie really had no purpose in this season other than to be annoying but the way the finale saved this show was a work of art. I loved seeing how everything that happened after He Who Remains died was all a part of his bigger plan and how poetic it was that in the end Loki gave up the thing he actually wanted the most which was to not be alone for the thing he always thought he wanted which was a throne. If the rest of Marvel's phase 5 and 6 is written by the showrunners of this show no one would be worried!

At number 3 is Queen Charlotte!! I mean is it any surprise that a Brigerton season is on this list even if it's a spinoff/prequel and not a new season? Bridgerton has such a chokehold on me that I flip for any new content created by these showrunners cause they really do make the sweetest most romantic shows in a world where shows geared towards women aren't really made. This season followed Charlotte and George and we got to see them fall in love and make it work despite his mental issues. Bridgerton does this thing where each season it builds up the most dreamy men and they make you want to fall to pieces as they would give up their entire worlds for the women they love. How can you not watch and melt??

Coming in at number 2 is Gen V!! In an abrupt change of tone from the cute sweetness of Queen Charlotte to the darkness of the Boys world, Gen V definitely surprised me this year. I really don't know what I was expecting from a spinoff of the Boys other than maybe a fear that it wouldn't be as good or too CW-esque given that it follows teens rather than adults but Gen V really knocked it out of the park with it's cast and the story it told. I loved that it was just as dark and twisted as the Boys but there was light in this show with the cast cause they were young and naive enough to believe what the public believed about superheroes being forces of good. Our main cast really did want to do good and it was only their circumstances that prevented them from doing so. The final episode had one of the best moments with the appearance of Homelander who really popped up and you were like oh wow he's going to save the day only to remind you what kind of monster he was.

And finally my number 1 show of 2023 is One Piece!! This has to be the biggest shock of this year cause unlike a lot of people I'm actually not a fan of One Piece. I've never seen a single episode at first because I didn't like the animation style and then later cause there's like 1000 episodes to go through so the fact that I decided to check out this live action adaptation mostly out of curiosity was a thing especially after how hard Cowboy Bebop's live action adaptation flopped. After having watched it I have to say this show hit so hard. It's almost a perfect adaptation cause it actually took what the anime and manga did and condensed it in a way that made it easier to digest without taking away the essence. Every single person involved in this production was clearly a huge fan and it shows! I especially want to give a shout out to the showrunner Matt Owens and the main actor IƱaki Jasso who literally oozed charm from every pore and made anime tropes work in real life!


And that's the end of my Top 10 TV shows of 2023 list! I'll see you all tomorrow for my Top 10 Asian Dramas of 2023!!

xoxo Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment