Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Arrow Season 5 Episode 9 Review

So the midseason finale aired tonight and it was pretty damn epic!! I feel like I've been saying that about a lot of the midseason finales this week but it's the truth!!! There were a ton of oh my god moments in this episode and lots of surprises!! Let's get into it shall we??

So firstly I loved the flashbacks to season 1 this week! It was a fun way to not only link this season to a previous one with Prometheus but it was a nice nod back to the history of Arrow. I loved the scenes with Diggle and Felicity and seeing season 1 Oliver again! I know there's been a lot of buzz around Oliver and Felicity and a red pen so it was fun to watch that scene. So much symbolism with Oliver getting down on one knee and giving Felicity the pen while saying that he believes in magic. I wonder where this flashback would fall during season 1 cause it looked like Diggle was trying to convince Oliver that killing was bad but I can't remember him kicking up too much of a fuss other than right after he found out that Oliver was the Hood. I'd assume it's around there. I loved the way the end when Oliver killed a bunch of people in that building paralleled him walking through the building to find Prometheus.

So Prometheus was finally revealed and even though we all assumed it was Billy, it actually wasn't. It was some random dude that we never met before who was the son of a random dude Oliver killed that we never saw before. Although I kind of liked this because honestly it wasn't a huge deal to figure out who Prometheus was, part of me also wishes that Promethus was the child of someone Oliver had killed in season 1 that we actually saw because that would make what we're supposed to feel now feel more real. Btw where is Helena if we're talking about kids who wanted revenge? Prometheus's big plan is similar to Slade's in that he wants to destroy everything Oliver loves before killing him cause death is too easy. I kind of like this throwback because it makes the villain more grounded rather than Darkh who just thought Oliver was a thorn in his side.

This was a rough episode for the characters this week and somehow out of the blue, I found myself really liking the recruits this week. Don't get me wrong, Evelyn and Rene are still super annoying but less so than usual. Maybe it's because the episode wasn't focused on them? Poor Curtis was bascially dumped by his husband Paul who found out that Curtis was a vigilante and couldn't deal with this. Although I get where Paul was coming from, his whole thing about not wanting to worry about Curtis's safety everynight didn't ring too true. Cops and people in the military have to put their lives on the line all the time. Would Paul have left Curtis if he decided to become a cop or join the military? Evelyn's betrayal was also exposed and apparently she joined Prometheus after she found out that Oliver was also the Hood and the Arrow. Super lame Evelyn. She gave Prometheus all the info about everyone including addresses and apparently took pictures of Diggle and Felicity herself to give him. More symbolism, Felicity was the last picture to go up. Rory and Rene didn't have much to other than a funny scene where they were trying to figure out the DNA sequencer and talking about whether Rene could ever get with Thea, who btw turned him down so fast that I died of laughter.

Billy was finally introduced to the team and I knew that he would either die or be Prometheus the second that happened. I also totally forgot that he knew Felicity worked with the Green Arrow because I care so very little for him and it threw me a little in the hospital when he mentioned that he knew Curtis was Mr Terrific. It was also funny when he was trying to give Felicity info and she was like yeah I know, the Green Arrow dealt with this yesterday but he kept trying and ended up being kidnapped. I loved loved loved that scene when Oliver accidently killed him because it was completely shocking in a fun way! I didn't care for Billy but my heart broke for Oliver because he would have to be the one to tell Felicity about this. The scene in the bunker when Oliver told everyone about how he killed Billy and then broke into tears before begging everyone to leave him was so touching. It was also very sweet that Diggle was like we're all right where we belong and Felicity almost immediately told him that Billy's death was Prometheus's fault.

What I didn't like was Oliver going to the reporter when he needed to be comforted cause when did Oliver and Susan get so close. I had the same thought earlier in the episode when Oliver and Susan talked about the morning they spent together. Last I saw, Susan was hitting on Oliver and he wasn't all that interested. Ugh. Go to Diggle. Go to Thea. Literally anyone else for comfort. She gave him some Russian Vodka and I'm wondering if maybe she's tied to the Bratva or his Russian roots or if she was just trying to get a rise out of him cause she knows he was in Russia.

And then the final scene. DINAH LAUREL LANCE IS BACK GUYS. I'm so excited cause I missed her so much! Despite how much I'm excited that she's back, I know the show regretted killing her off almost the moment it did but if this really is Laurel, I'm a little disappointed in the show for turning back on their decision. If everyone keeps coming back to life, why bother killing characters off in the first place. Now that that's out of the way, how great was it to see Laurel in the bunker??? It has to be Flashpoint that brought her back right? Cause Arrow mentioned Flashpoint a bunch this episode. But if that was true, why did she hide until now? Especially with the struggle Lance was going through and the alien attack!

I'm so excited to see where the show goes next half season! We'll be back in January! Tune in tomorrow for my Legends of Tomorrow midseason finale review!

xoxo Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment