Monday, February 5, 2018

Supergirl Season 3 Episode 13 Review

Okay I really want to give a slow clap to the writers of tonight's episode of Supergirl. There was so much that I was impressed with writing wise and so many great moments in this episode.

Let's start with the Julia/Purity stuff which was interesting because not only did it lead to our heroes realizing that the World Killers basically have two personalities but also told us the audience that it is possible to bring the human side out. It's interesting to me that the personalities the World Killers have are such good people. The way Purity explained Julia was that she needed a character to play so that she could hide until activated but it made me wonder how in control are the World Killers before they're activated and why couldn't they be activated the whole time but hide? Why is there another whole personality instead of being like a sleeper agent? This leads me to wonder if there's a way to permanently subdue the World Killer which is where I think this season is going especially given the final scene with Lena and Sam.

Speaking of Sam and Lena, Lena decided to step back into LCorp after last week and sent Sam home claiming that it was because she felt that Sam needed some time off to rest which lead to more annoying Ruby scenes which were my only real negatives with this episode. I keep waiting for the scene where Ruby finds out that her mom is Reign cause I definitely think Ruby in danger is going to be Reign's trigger to become Sam again at the end of this season. Lena kind of knows I think but I don't know if she's going to connect the dots. I'd like to imagine she will cause she's so smart and I'd love it if this storyline went to Lena figuring out a way to subdue the World Killer personality permanently in a very Luthor fashion. Maybe Caitlin needs this special cure too.

Back to Kara and Alex, Alex was all about threatening Purity into submission and to be honest she was a bit terrifying when she was trying to scare Purity so much so that I kind of would like to see more of this in the future. It's kind of always been a characteristic of Alex to toe the line whenever her family is in danger and I'd love to see the consequences if she actually did step over the line at some point. On the other hand Kara's hope while nice to see was a bit much for me personally but I can understand why Kara as a character would believe what she says. I also really liked that this whole was less about Purity/Julia and more about Alex still missing Maggie. I do love that they didn't just brush past this breakup like most shows do but I think it's about time Alex got a new love interest cause Alex deserves love!

The boys finally had something to do tonight when they went to try to fix the Legion ship. So first of all, I seriously miss Brainiac 5. I understand why he can't be in all the episodes but this episode literally felt so incomplete without him cause the team was trying to fix the ship and he would be such a major help in that case. The characters mentioned him but it would have been nice to drop a quick line explaining his absence. I did love seeing Winn gush about cars and fix the problem in the end cause I've missed having him do anything other than crack a few jokes in the DEO.

My favorite scene of this episode though has to be the one between J'onn and Mon El. Remember when I talked about excellent writing in tonight's episode? Here it was. As you know I was stressing for a while about how in the world the show was going to bring Kara and Mon El back together (cause they are endgame no ifs, ands, or, buts) without killing off Imra or making this whole thing about cheating which I despise especially since Imra was such an awesome character. Mon El was so mature about his feelings and what's going on in this scene that I believed what was happening and I felt for him. By explaining the marriage as a sort of arranged one, it does make Mon El look like less of an ass and by explaining that his love for Kara is so encompassing that it makes his love for Imra less real, Mon El and Imra can break up without anyone looking worse for the wear. I also loved the final scene with them where they acted like adults and discussed their feelings cause I'm always down for when characters are honest. I can't wait to find out what this secret Imra and Brainiac 5 are keeping from Mon El though I'd assume it has something to do with Kara dying so the Legion decided to step in.

Sidebar can we give props to how much Mon El has matured this episode let alone this season? He is a much better fighter and teammate while also being a much more honest significant other. He knows that he was an ass when he first arrived on Earth and he knows how much he's grown now. The Mon El of last season would have struggled to be honest with Imra about his feelings for Kara and he wouldn't have tried to help the people escape from the subway like he did. I loved the old Mon El for the potential I could see in him and I love the one we have now.

I didn't get to see the promo for the next episode of Supergirl though I do know we won't be back until Legends airs it's finale probably in April/May which is annoying cause I feel like this season has just ramped up. I really want to know what this Legion secret is!

Anyway I'll see you all tomorrow for my Flash review!

xoxo Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment