Monday, June 18, 2018

Supergirl Season 3 Episode 23 Review

I cannot decide if tonight's finale was really good or very strange. Maybe a little of both? The episode felt a lot like a series finale with the way it seemed to tie everything up but at the same time shake up the board completely.

Let's start with the most interesting part in my opinion and that was the Legion coming back to help. I assumed this was going to happen cause we all knew Imra and Mon El had to break up in person somehow in order for him to be with Kara but the scene we got was really weird. They kind of both were just like eh our marriage didn't really seem that great now that we look back and that was that. Like no talk of divorce or separation or an attempt to work through their problems. This whole marriage storyline was terrible from the moment it first showed up and it hasn't got any better. Brainiac 5 then told Mon El and Winn that when they killed Pestilence the Blight never killed people and one of those people that was saved was his evil distant relative (aka Brainiac or so I'm assuming) and that the future needs Mon El and Winn. I'm of two minds on this cause I love the idea of them having to fight Brainiac cause he's such a badass villain and I love that Brainiac 5 is going to be a permanent member of season 4 of Supergirl but at the same time I hate that we're losing Mon El and Winn and that no matter how cool the storyline seems for why they're leaving, we're never going to be able to see it!!!

The sendoff for Winn was so heartbreaking and I teared up alongside everyone else though it's so weird that it wasn't Kara who was the saddest to say goodbye cause the show has decided to conveniently forget that Kara and Winn were best friends in season 1. I do wonder if we'll get these characters back next season cause I know Jeremy Jordan is signed on as a recurring but that could just mean that he pops up in like two episodes. Mon El leaving is super weird cause why else did we spend a whole season showing us Mon El and Kara falling back in love and give Mon El a costume matching Kara's if he was going to leave in the end? Why not just cut ties and show us Mon El in love with Imra and Kara moving on? Weird as hell. There hasn't been any announcements about Chris Wood leaving and I do love Mon El and Kara together so I'd like to believe that he'll be back like he was this season.

Sidebar if this is the last we see of Mon El, I really really want the show to explore Brainiac 5 and Kara's relationship cause they're together in the comics and now that Brainiac 5 has a human projector thing to disguise himself, the problems I thought the CW would have are no longer there (aka the fact that the main lead can't be with a non-handsome male actor.) Part of this is definitely my bias for Jesse Rath!!

I feel like so much of this episode was supposed to be emotional but none of the characters reacted the way they should have making the emotional beats not hit. Like the fact that Reign killed Mon El, Alura and Sam before Kara went back in time (how that happened who the hell really knows) but other than J'onn being like Mon El saved me, Kara had pretty much no reaction. Girl that's your mom who literally just died in front of you. I understand if you moved on from Mon El but seriously your mom! It was a fun twist to have Kara go back in time and fix the problem though. But can we talk about how Kara was like I came in here ready to kill and that's not me only for the solution to stop Reign being to kill her? Like how Kara.

We also lost M'rynn tonight which was sad but even sadder is the fallout we get from his death in that J'onn resigns from his position as Director of the DEO to go soul searching or something and I'm sitting here like though I love the idea of Alex being Director, are we losing J'onn next season too? What in the world is up with this episode clearing house? I am looking forward to seeing Alex as Director but I really don't want to watch her be a parent next season. Ugh. Ruby was bad enough and William over on Arrow took almost half a season for me to warm up to and if I'm being honest I only ever liked him cause I liked the idea of Oliver, Felicity and William being a real family.

Speaking of Ruby and Sam both survived but I have a feeling that we probably won't see them again (please let that be true!!) Also James unmasked as Guardian (who cared) and we got more hints of evil Lena. For a second I got all excited thinking that maybe she will be the villain of season 4 but oddly enough we got what seems like a clone of Kara. Is this a World Killer Kara? Or more of a Bizzaro Supergirl? I'm not sure how to feel about this cause The Flash already tried the whole another evil version of you as the Big Bad.

This season of Supergirl was not the best for me though not anywhere as bad as season 1. I just felt like so much time was wasted but at the same time half the story was rushed. I'm also not thrilled with next season's villain cause the Supers have such a huge repertoire of villains to chose from but we keep going back to evil Kryptonians and it looks like we'll get another one next season. Why couldn't we use Brainiac here or some other sort of alien or villain??

Here's to season 4 hopefully bringing us back to the fun of season 2!

xoxo Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment