Friday, June 8, 2018

What Dramas Am I Watching This Week?

Soooo a while back I told you I fell madly in love with asian dramas and I posted a list of my favorite OTPs and ships from those dramas I watched (which you can view here) and that made me think about how many dramas I watch each week and I thought it might be fun to post a list of them and my weekly thoughts every Friday! I'm going to split them by country to make it easier for you all and also let you know how many episodes I've seen so far! Personally I prefer to watch KDramas but some CDramas are fun. I just got into TWDramas and once in a while I enjoy some JDramas so there are some of those as well!

KDRAMA


About Time (6/16): Choi Michaela is a musical actress. She has a special ability to see the lifespan clocks of other people. She meets a man who can stop her time and he falls in love with her.

So I was pretty excited for this show to start cause if you know me at all you know fantasy romances are my Kryptonite. The premise sounded really interesting and at first the show did catch my attention but then it quickly went from cute to super cringe-y and I debated dropping the show cause I have no chill with cringe but I decided to keep at it for another few episodes and though the cringe was still around at first, the main couple started to grow on me though for some reason I'm still not loving them as a couple. Idk what it is but their romantic interactions mostly make me uncomfortable and that's really unfortunate cause the main couple can make or break a show for me... It's like one episode I'm into them and then the next I'm not. On the other hand, I'm loving Kim Dong-Joon as Jo Jae-Yoo and his dynamic with Michaela (which might mean that I enjoy the second lead better but I hope not cause that's never a good thing cause it won't end well.) So far this is not my favorite drama I'm currently watching but Lee Sung-Kyung is killing it as Choi Michaela and I pretty much watch the show to see what she does next! I'm also hardcore loving the musical aspect of this show! Lee Sung-Kyung can sing!!
Are You Human Too? (4/36): The drama tells of an android called Nam Shin III who must pretend to be the son of a rich family when the real Nam Shin falls into a coma. Nam Shin's mother, Oh Ro Ra is a genius on brain technology and artificial intelligence (AI) so when her son, the real Nam Shin, is taken away from her at a young age, in her grief she creates an android that looks exactly like her son and has it grow up in the place of Nam Shin. But when Nam Shin, who is a third generation heir to PK group, gets in an accident and is comatose, the android Nam Shin III must learn how to take his place.

So I wasn't exactly sure if I wanted to check out this show or not cause I'm really not into shows/movies when humans fall in love with robots and that's one of the reasons that it took me so long to check out I'm Not A Robot but since I was pleasantly surprised to find that show was actually a love story between two humans, I went into this show hoping for the same because I loved Gong Seung Yeon in My Only Love Song (she's hilarious) and wanted to check out her next project. So far I'm enjoying the show but the premise isn't exactly what I thought of. I was hoping for more of a feedback loop in that things that Nam Shin III does, the real Nam Shin would remember as well or more of a situation where Nam Shin's brain went into Nam Shin III. Despite that I am interested to see what this show becomes because so far the scenery is amazing and the characters seem fun. I'm not a huge fan of evil rich families so that's a bit of a downside for me but Seo Kang Joon is doing a great job of acting like two very different people so I'm trying to stay positive. I hope we see more of the real Nam Shin at some point cause I'd feel really awkward if the whole show was about Nam Shin III and if he was the one to fall in love with So Bong. Speaking of, I'm not sure how I feel about her character either cause though I love how strong and feisty she is, she did decide to take pictures of her client in secret and that goes against everything so I'm not a fan of how she's acting like the victim in this situation. If we take out the idea that she's our main female lead and clearly has to be a good person, who would ever trust her again if you just met her?
Come And Hug Me (14/32): A man and a woman suffers from wounded hearts due to a murder case that took place in their past. The man is a detective and the woman is a popular actress. When Do-Jin and Jae-Yi were high school students, they were each other's first love. Do-Jin's father Hee-Jae was a psychopath and killed Jae-Yi's parents. Do-Jin and Jae-Yi were separated afterwards. Now Do-Jin works as a detective. He treats the victim's family with care. This is his way of atoning for his father's horrific act. Meanwhile, Jae-Yi works as an actress. She followed in the footsteps of her late mother who was a famous actress. Since her parents' deaths, Jae-Yi has suffered from post-traumatic stress disorder. Do-Jin and Jae-Yi meet again.

I was hesitant to check out this kdrama cause I watch dramas to smile and giggle over how cute the romances are but I kept hearing how amazing this drama is so when I finally checked it out I ended up really loving it. It reminds me a lot of Just Between Lovers in how the two main characters clearly really love each other but aren't together cause they keep thinking that they bring nothing but pain and terrible memories to each other. The acting of the two main leads is incredible and honestly every week I want to do nothing but wrap Choi Do-Jin in a hug. He keeps being blamed for something his horrible father did and I feel so much for him cause he wants to do nothing but make up for it. I also want to wrap Han Jae-Yi in a hug but for different reasons cause she is just so adorable! The reporter that keeps following them around is honestly the worst of the worst and is it horrible of me to wish something terrible on her?? I do wish we could spend more time with Jae-Yi and Do-Jin actually together cause the few minutes we get with them every few episodes are the best parts and that way we could actually see more of how Jae-Yi is feeling not only about him but about what happened. I'm about 80% sure that she doesn't hate/blame Do-Jin for what happened but she's always so quiet on the matter and allows her brother to talk so it's hard to gauge.
Handsome Guy and Jung Eum/The Undateables (12/32): Hoon-Nam knows about love theoretically, but he rejects falling in love. Jung-Eum wants to fall in love, but, due to her difficult situation, she gives up on finding love. Hoon-Nam and Jung-Eum meet and develop a relationship romantically.

This is another drama that grew on me as I continued to watch. The premise sounded interesting enough when I read it but the first four episodes didn't really catch my attention. Luckily I decided to keep watching because despite my indifference to the show, it didn't do anything to turn me off and it also helped that Namgung Min is super attractive. Around episode five though the show started to pick up and I loved the idea of Hoon-Nam and Jung-Eum working together as matchmakers. Their chemistry started to bloom as Jung-Eum mellowed out a little and Hoon-Nam stopped being so cold showcasing one of my favorite romance tropes when the main couple is able to compliment each other and bring out the best in each other. Their kiss in episode 8 was unexpected cause it happened earlier than I expected but it made me grin from ear to ear so I'm not complaining! This show seems like a fun light-hearted romp and I'm so on board this train! The only downside I'm finding is that not only is Hoon-Nam's cousin such an ass but they've somehow went the I bet you I can seduce this girl route and I despise this trope cause it's such a lame trope so unless the show flips the script and makes Hoon-Nam tell Jung-Eum at the start what's happening, I'm not down for that. I do hope we get more matchmaking cause that's my favorite part so far!
Investigation Couple/Partners For Justice (16/32): Baek Beom has worked as a forensic doctor for 10 years. He has a bad personality, but he is excellent with his work. Baek Beom does not open his mind to other people. Eun Sol is a rookie prosecutor with a warm heart. She has a bright personality and she comes from wealth family background. The forensic doctor and prosecutor work together to solve case.

So I'm just as surprised as you are that this show is on my list cause I'm not sure if I said this before but my genre preference for asian dramas is romance cause honestly I just love watching two people fall in love and though I'm sure there are tons of great dramas without romance, they're just not my preference. I ended up checking out this drama cause I was bored one day and it popped up on my drama feed and I was like why not. Each episode is 30 minutes long and when episodes are that short you don't even notice how quickly you fly through binging it. However if I'm being honest, I don't really think I like this drama very much. Eun Sol is possibly one of the most naive and terribly written female leads I've seen in a while and what makes it worse is that the show tries to tell you that she's very smart and badass and though I don't hate her as a character pretty much every decision she makes causes me to roll my eyes in annoyance/frustration. For once I really hope that there's no romance between the leads cause not only is Baek Beom so much older than Eun Sol (which is a no-go cause I'm not a fan of huge age gaps) but I just don't see any romantic chemistry between them. Despite all this, I do enjoy watching the cases and most of the side characters are fun so I think I'll keep watching.
Lawless Lawyer (8/16): When Bong Sang-Pil was little, he lived with his mother in Gisung. His mother worked as a lawyer and she took on a case that Judge Cha Moon-Sook got involved with. Judge Cha Moon-Sook was the most respected person in the city. One night, Bong Sang-Pil witnessed his mother get killed by Judge Cha Moon-Sook's subordinate. Bong Sang-Pil got out of Gisung and went to live with his gang boss uncle Choi Dae-Woong. Bong Sang-Pil decided to become a lawyer to take revenge on those responsible for his mother's death. 18 years later, Bong Sang-Pil works as a lawyer. He sees news on the TV that a detective was arrested for killing the mayor of Gisung. The detective holds a key to the murder of Bong Sang-Pil's mother. Bong Sang-Pil returns to Gisung for the first time in 18 years. He opens up a law office there. Meanwhile, Ha Jae-Yi is a lawyer with integrity. She beats up a judge in court and gets her law license suspended. Ha Jae-Yi returns to her hometown of Gisung. There, Bong Sang-Pil approaches Ha Jae-Yi and gets her to work at his law office. Bong Sang-Pil holds a secret related to the death of Ha Jae-Yi’s mother.

Okay so this is hands down my favorite drama that I'm currently watching and it's such a dark horse surprise to me cause I really didn't expect to love the show as much as I do! I can't even put into words what appeals to me so much. The show is much funnier and more light-hearted than I expected from reading the synopsis of the show. I love the revenge plot which was something I was pleasantly surprised about as this show isn't simply about solving cases like how a lot of other law dramas that are currently airing are. I love the adorkable loan sharks that work for Sang-Pil. I love how evil our villains are. I even love the hilarious barking song that plays whenever the cast does something badass. The chemistry between Sang-Pil and Jae-Yi was sizzling from pretty much their first scene together and though their relationship might have felt like it went from 0 to 100 to some in the 6th episode, I personally thought it grew pretty well and I could see that the two were interested in each other from the start. Their first kiss made me melt and their relationship is so cute cause it's a favorite trope of mine to see someone who seems rough on the outside be a soft marshmallow on the inside and it's only really around each other that Sang-Pil and Jae-Yi are happy! I was a little worried that since they became a couple so early on it'd mean that their relationship wouldn't work out but as the season goes on, I'm feeling like it's more of a us against the world situation. I especially love that Jae-Yi is a badass in her own right cause in most shows the female lead is more of a damsel. Do yourself a favor and check this one out because episode 8 actually made me cry! I'm calling it now that I actually think more than our main leads stopping them, I have the feels that the evil seven are actually going to destroy each other cause they barely trust each other now and after all the power that one of the villains is receiving I can't see him holding back forever. 
Miss Hammurabi (6/16): Park Cha O Reum works as a rookie judge. She is in her mid-20's and follows "an eye for an eye" principle. She does not accept prejudice or blindly follow authority. Dealing with cases, she and her colleagues, including Im Ba-Reun, grow as people.

I pretty much only decided to check out this show because of Go Ara who I loved in Hwarang. There are so many law dramas that were airing and I was on the fence about whether I wanted to watch another and I'm so glad that I did!! Honestly every law drama that I watch (and there's a bunch if you look) feels different from the next but I love that this one focuses on the judges cause I've never seen a show from this perspective (American shows included.) All the characters are so much fun to watch and each episode feels so real and so well written that I could see each case occurring in real life unlike other dramas. Oh-Reum and Ba-Reun have great chemistry and compliment each other so well though I don't think I'm super into the idea of them as a couple but maybe the show will change my mind. I love their partnership and how much of a feminist she is as well as being so eager/moral and how he is able to temper her and show her how to get the same results she wants by playing by the rules. Also sidebar but L is so so hot and his dimples make me melt every time he smiles. His confession at the end of episode 6 though it felt a little rushed was so smooth and it broke my heart that she rejected him even if I wasn't thrilled about the confession in the first place. Each week there are multiple scenes that make me grin and also scenes that make my blood boil which I mean props to the show for making me feel the feels!
FINISHED Mistress (12/12): Four female friends in their 30's become involved in a series of murders. Se-Yeon, Eun-Soo, Jung-Won and Hwa-Young have a dead man’s body in front of them. 2 months prior, Se-Yeon runs a cafe. She has a daughter. Her husband died 2 years earlier, but his body was never found. She then receives a phone call without a caller ID number. The caller plays a song that was her husband's favorite song. Song-Hoon approaches Se-Yeon. His daughter attends the same kindergarten as Se-Yeon's daughter. Se-Yeon has three close friends: Eun-Soo, Jung-Won and Hwa-Young. Eun-Soo works as a psychiatrist. One day, her patient Sun-Ho tells her that he is looking for his dead father's mistress. He believes that the mistress killed his father. Eun-Soo does not tell her client that she is the one who had the secret affair with his father. Eun-Soo also has another secret. Jung-Won is a high school teacher. She is married to famous chef Dong-Seok. He seems like the perfect husband. Dong-Seok wants to have a child badly, but Jung-Won doesn't know the real reason why her husband wants a child. The real reason is so Dong-Seok can have material for a reality TV show. Meanwhile, Min-Gyu is a temporary teacher at the same high school where Jung-Won teaches. He tells her that he likes her. Hwa-Young works as an office administrator at a law firm. She enjoys her single life and she doesn't want to be tied down with one man. One day, a female client comes and requests that someone secretly follow her husband Tae-O. That man is Hwa-Young’s ex-boyfriend.

This show is actually based on both an American and a British tv show but I've never seen either so I don't have any comparison to make which is sometimes a good thing. Though this show was also not one of my favorite currently airing shows, I had been enjoying it for the most part but as the show wrapped up this week I was left pretty unfulfilled. My biggest problem with this show was that although there were four main characters I was only interested in two of the characters (Eun-Soo and Jung-Won) which is probs a large reason I didn't enjoy the show as much as I could. Despite this, one thing the show did really well was make you question each of the men in our girls' lives. One minute you think one guy is bad and then the next you realize he's not so bad and the bad guy was actually the one you thought was good. I loved that the show kept us on our toes and I also really loved the murder mystery and how the girls were so badass in piecing together what happened. The show ended in a way where the overall problem/mystery was solved and though we're told all four girls are going to be happy, I was a little disappointed that most of them ended up alone though it seems that the ending was fairly open ended so if there is another season, maybe that'll be resolved. If I had to rate this show, I'd give it like a 6 / 10.
FINISHED School 2017 (16/16): The plot follows a class of high school students attempting to overcome the stress of being ranked by their exam grades, and facing the difficulties of being a teenager in a high-pressure, corrupt system. Its central protagonist is Ra Eun-ho, a cheerful and kind-hearted 18-year-old who dreams of being a webtoon artist but is caught up in the search for a mysterious troublemaker in the school, known as 'Student X'. When she is accused of being Student X, her dream of going to university to study art is put at risk as she faces expulsion.

When I started this show I wasn't really looking for anything in particular other than something light to binge after I finished Siege in Fog which had a terribly sad ending and what I found in School 2017 was an extremely cute love story and a great story about friendship!! I loved this show so much from the very first episode which was a shock to me cause I really wasn't expecting to love this show as much as I did. The last school drama I watched was a cdrama called Huckleberry Friends and I mostly sat through that show to get to the end with nothing winning me over but nothing turning me off either and I'm pretty sure I only finished it was because I was on break while I was watching it and had nothing else to do. On the other hand I was literally glued to the screen for this one and once an episode ended I had to go on to the next one! I loved every single character in this show and the mystery of Student X was fun to follow even if I knew who it was from almost the start (I mean how could it have been anyone but the main lead's love interest??) Eun-Ho was feisty and had a dream that she wanted to follow and she won me over from almost her first line! Her chemistry with Tae-Woon was perfect and their relationship was adorable to watch grow. He was such a sweetheart even though he pretended like he was a bad boy and he was there for her any time she needed him and that's my favorite kind of romance to watch! They pretty much told each other everything from the start and there were no drawn out misunderstandings or fights. This was an amazing show and you have to check it out even if you don't like school dramas! I'd give it a 10 / 10!
DROPPED Sketch (3/16): Detective Kang Dong-Soo's fiance is killed mysteriously. He works with a female detective who can see 3 days into the future. She sketches what she sees. They set out to capture the murderer. Kim Do-Jin is a former special forces member. His pregnant wife was killed and he plots revenge.

This is another drama that I started to watch that doesn't have romance in it but I couldn't help but want to watch once I read the description cause I'm not watching any cop shows right now and I thought the fantasy aspects sounded pretty interesting. After watching three episodes I was pretty indifferent to the whole thing and unfortunately though nothing turned me off in the show, nothing caught my attention either which might be worse if I'm being honest. I did love that the female lead wasn't a moron (like Eun Sol in Investigation Couple) and though she was more emotional than Dong-Soo, it's portrayed in a way that seems believable. I debated whether or not to watch more of this show for a while but I already watch so many other shows that I couldn't convince myself to watch a boring one just because. Maybe I'll come back to this one in the future when I have nothing to watch but as of now, I will be leaving.
Suits (14/16): Choi Kang-Seok is the best lawyer at the prestigious Kang & Ham Law Firm. He is promoted to a senior partner. Go Yeon-Woo has a photographic memory and excellent comprehension skills. He dreamed of becoming a lawyer, but due to his poor background he currently works as a parking valet. To pay for his grandmother's hospital bill, he takes a job to deliver drugs to a hotel room. While in front of the hotel room, Go Yeon-Woo realizes that he is going into a trap. Go Yeon-Woo is then chased by the cops, but he gets into the secretary's office for Lawyer Choi Kang-Seok. At that time, a group of people are waiting to take interviews with Choi Kang-Seok. He is going to select a rookie lawyer for the law firm after conducting the interviews. Go Yeon-Woo is then admitted into Choi Kang-Seok's office. Choi Kang-Seok senses that Go Yeon-Woo is not the applicant they called in for the interview, but he is impressed with Go Yeon-Woo's intelligence & memory. Choi Kang-Seok decides to hire Go Yeon-Woo as a rookie lawyer even though he does not have a license to practice law. Choi Kang-Seok's decision could even place his own career in jeopardy.

This show stars Park Hyung-Sik aka the love of my life aka my favorite Korean actor so how could I not watch the next drama he was in after Strong Woman Do Bong-Soon where I fell in love with him?? Funnily enough though I started watching the show just for him, I ended up loving pretty much everything on the show, especially all the characters! I love the romance between Yeon-Woo and Ji-Na but the bromance between Yeon-Woo and Kang-Seok was what stole my heart and keeps me coming back to the show. I love how much they care for each other and want to protect one another even if they try to act all subtle and refuse to admit it. I love Geun-Sik and how he think he's being threatening but actually looks ridiculous and I love the appearance of our first real villain in Ham Ki-Taek! I even love the score that plays whenever our main leads do something badass. I only have two struggles with this show and though one is small and one is slightly bigger, both are mostly personal preferences and may not affect anyone else who's watching. Firstly, I'm not a fan of how almost every episode mentions how Yeon-Woo isn't a real lawyer and though I understand why that is, with such a small episode count, I could have done with ignoring this for a few episodes here and there. My bigger struggle is about Yeon-Woo actually being a lawyer cause though his big heart and drive to do what's right is what makes me love him, it makes him a terrible lawyer cause he has not once been able to put those feelings aside for a case. At the beginning of the show this didn't seem like a bad thing cause it seemed as though Yeon-Woo and Kang-Seok were each learning from the other (sometimes Yeon-Woo's methods got better results) but as the show went on, Yeon-Woo just looked naive as hell and I was not a fan. I refuse to believe what episode 14 is trying to tell us and it's silly the show is even trying it cause based on everything we know about Yeon-Woo, we know which side he'll take regardless. I'm looking forward to the final next week but it'll also be sad cause the show will be ending!
What's Wrong With Secretary Kim? (2/16): What's Wrong With Secretary Kim revolves around the narcissistic Lee Young Joon, the vice president of a company run by his family. He is very self absorbed and thinks highly of himself, so much so that he barely acknowledges the people around him. Lee Young Joon has a capable and patient secretary in Kim Mi So who has remained by his side and worked diligently for 9 years without any romantic involvement.But Mi So has grown tired of her frustrating boss so when she decides to resign from her job, hilarious misunderstandings ensue. After 9 years of their strictly-workplace relationship, can it now develop in something more?

Okay so if I'm being honest the description for this show is pretty much the opposite of what I usually like but I love love love Park Seo Joon in pretty much everything else he's done so I figured I'd give this show a shot too and after watching the first two episodes I was blown away with how much I enjoyed this show! Young Joon isn't as much of an asshole as I thought he would be (he's more just unable to view situations outside his own POV rather than seeing it and still being an ass) and Mi So is such a badass woman! I love when people are competent at their jobs and my favorite thing was seeing her kill it all through the episode. I loved their chemistry as well and I can't wait to see how it is when it turns romantic. The show is much funnier than I expected it to be as well but in a subtle way so it's not like in your face slapstick like Wok of Love. I also love that so far there doesn't seem to be any sort of rich man/poor woman feel to the show either in that when they do hook up we won't have to sit through that nonsense of his family hating her and trying to break them up (which I absolutely despise and too much of it causes me to drop a show.) Park Seo Joon definitely knows how to pick shows to work on!!
Wok Of Love/Greasy Melo (20/40): Set at a small Chinese restaurant. Drama series follows Seo Poong's attempts at survival, food and love. Chef Seo Poong was once a star chef and worked at the best Chinese restaurant. His popularity faded and he eventually wound up working at a small, failing Chinese restaurant. Meanwhile, Doo Chil-Seong is the owner of a building. He is an ex-gang member and he was in jail for 5 years.

This show is probably the funniest one I currently watch and it was such a surprise to me cause I really wasn't expecting it to be so weird! It took me a few episodes to get used to the comedy this show uses cause I mean there's literally a talking horse narrator in this show and if that isn't the strangest thing you've heard of in a while, I don't know what is! I started watching this show cause I love shows with chefs and I loved Lee Joon-Ho from Just Between Lovers and it has been so interesting watching him play a much more comedic role than I've seen before. I love the hilarious bromance between Seo Poong and Chil-Seong and the romance between Seo Poong and Sae-Woo which reached a hilarious level this week when Sae-Woo decided to do whatever her heart tells her to and I was like get it girl cause that's usually the male lead's line after the girl is like ehhh I don't know. My favorite part of this show though has to be the cooking/restaurant aspect which is funny cause I'm usually more into the romance. If I'm being honest though I'm pretty much only watching this show for Lee Joon-Ho aka Seo Poong and if he wasn't in it, I might not be as interested as I am. With each episode being 30 minutes long, they fly by so I'm ready to ride this crazy train all the way!

CDRAMA


Cinderella Chef (19/56): Our heroine is a time-traveling person who becomes the daughter of an official who is then kidnapped to a bandits tribe where our hero is currently working as a spy. With her superb cooking and modern street smarts, she makes a name for herself while struggling to handle a fake marriage with the hero.

This is probs the second weirdest drama I currently watch behind Wok of Love with how zany it is! I'm a fan of time traveling shows (my preference is always someone from the future goes to the past rather than someone from the past coming to the future) but this one caught my attention pretty early on with how silly the show is by not being too serious. I mean our heroine Ye Jia Yao literally runs around in cropped clothing and doesn't fit the dress code of the time period she is in but does anyone really care? Nope! Zhong Dan Li and Hsu Thassapack have incredible chemistry and you literally watch as Xia Chun Yu is literally charmed by Jia Yao as the show goes on. He's in a perpetual state of confusion around her and it's amazing. The cooking aspect isn't as strong as I expected it to be but it's fun as well cause Jia Yao is able to recreate a lot of the dishes she makes in the future and even opens up her own restaurant! I'm also loving the second lead so much so that I really wouldn't have minded if she ended up with him as well! The only downside of this show is that I could literally not give a single shit about the spying that's going on or whatever the political intrigue the palace is dealing with which is strange cause usually I love politics in royal courts! I just watch this show to see what the next insane thing Jia Yao does.
Love's Lies (35/44): A package containing methamphetamine shatters the once peaceful life of an average white collar worker named Dou Dou. The sender is Dou Dou's ex-boyfriend Jin Yuan who ran from their wedding seven years ago. Dou Dou changes course en route to the police station and decides to confrontJin Yuan. Detective Qiao Liang has been keeping tabs on Jin Yuan for his suspected involvement with the crime syndicate that range from drug trafficking to money laundering. Unwilling to let go of her ex, Dou Dou takes it upon herself to help Jin Yuan turn over a new leaf, oblivious to his real identity as an undercover cop.

One of my struggles with cdramas are how long they are and how little storyline the shows seem to have so episodes seem to drag and a single story will arc over multiple episodes with nothing really changing. Most of them are serious as well which prevents them from having a slice of life feel either. The Negotiator and Only Side By Side With You were the first two cdramas I had watched and both have these mentioned problems which almost made me give up on cdramas entirely but luckily I found My Mr Mermaid which might be one of my favorite dramas ever and I decided to give Love's Lies a shot. This show falls somewhere in the middle. Just when I start to feel like the show is dragging a little, it picks up again and changes the plotline which prevents me from dropping it. I love the idea of following an undercover cop who works for a drug smuggling gang and once Dou Dou was clued into who he really was, I've been really loving the idea of the two of them against the world. I love watching smart people outsmart one another so this is exactly my cup of tea. The only flaw I can find in this show is that the chemistry between the main leads is lacking which makes the romance not feel so believable. I do enjoy watching them together but they've never had a scene where I'm like oh that's hot or I can totally see why they've loved each other for seven years and never moved on.
Moonshine and Valentine/A Love Knot: His Excellency's First Love (20/25): The love story between Guan Pi Pi, an ordinary girl who has felt alone and abandoned in this world and Helan Jing Ting, a mysterious Jade Master who is part of the Fox clan; that transcends a few lifetimes.

Guys remember when I said I'm a sucker for fantasy romances? Yeahhhhhh well reincarnation storylines have a soft spot in my heart as well. I mean how could they not? The idea that a love between two people is so intense that it follows them across different lives is so romantic! When I started this show I was a little disappointed and not sure if I would end up liking this but as time went on, I started loving the show more and more! I loved that Helan told Pi Pi almost immediately who/what he was cause if there's anything I hate in fantasy shows it's when the main leads lie to each other or hide who/what they are. Another one of my favorite tropes is a couple against the world and I can't truly enjoy a show when I know there's lying going on! I wasn't a huge fan of terrified Pi Pi was when she found out the truth of Helan but luckily the show moved on pretty quickly and I've been finding that not only do Helan and Pi Pi have great chemistry but that their interactions are pretty adorable. Surprisingly I was into the side couples especially Zhao Song and Qian Hua at the start of this show but after episode 17, I don't think I can comfortably ship those two anymore so now I want nothing more than for Qian Hua to end the show happily however that might be.
FINISHED Siege In Fog/Color Of Night (50/50): Yi Liankai, a flirtatious playboy from a wealthy family, falls in love at first sight with a pretty young maiden named Qin Sang. He, by all means possible, tries to force her hand in marriage, despite her harboring a crush on another man. Despite resenting him and rejecting all his advances and gestures of affection, Qin Sang agrees to marry Yi Liankai so that her father could recover his position as an officer. As they go through obstacles in times of war and chaos, Qin Sang slowly falls for Yi Liankai. However, things get complicated when her old flame returns to become her husband’s assistant.

Though I actually finished binging this show a few days ago I thought it deserved to be on my list of what shows I've been watching cause technically I did watch it this week! At first I didn't know if I wanted to check this out cause the description put me off a little. I seriously do not find forceful men sexy whatsoever but eventually I decided to give it a shot cause I'm a fan of Sun Yi from Because of Meeting You and I've never been more glad cause I adored this show! The synopsis for this show isn't as accurate as you would think. The show actually starts two years into Qin Sang and Yi Liankai's marriage and I wouldn't use the word forced but more like arranged. From almost their first scene together the main leads have unbelievable chemistry together and for once I was so so down for the enemies to lovers trope even if it was less enemies and more like Qin Sang was in love with her husband but refusing to admit it cause she was hurt before and didn't want to love again. But I mean can anyone not fall in love with Elvis Han who is literally one of the sexiest Chinese actors I've ever seen. Ugh every time he smirked, I damn near melted. I loved how the theme of family was so prevalent throughout the show and how the main leads were portrayed as ride or die and that nothing could break their love apart. I also fell in love with the Yi family and their dynamics. Even the tragic ending felt right to me though I did wish that we could have ended on a happier note. The only thing I didn't love was how much of the show focused on politics (when to me that was the least interesting) and how the Second Brother of the Yi family's story went. I hated the chunk of story in the middle when the Second and Third Brother fought over misunderstandings and when it ended with their reconciliation, I was so happy only for it to turn around and happen again. Other than that, I really really enjoyed this drama and it's up there as one of my favorites not only of this year but maybe in general! Do yourself a favor and check it out! If I had to rate it, I'd give it a 9.5 / 10!!
DROPPED The Way We Were (18/50): Xiao Qing is an exchange student in the US. The daughter of a heroic prosecutor back home, she takes extreme pride in her father’s work. Her dad is an incorruptible arbiter of justice, and Xiao Qing lives her life with the same principles. Shu Che is Xiao Qing’s classmate. Unlike Xiao Qing's father, Shu Che’s dad is a little less pure. As a government official, Shu Che’s dad has taken part inquite a few shady deals. With these deals, he has opened many doors for his son. But Shu Che doesn’t want any part of that. When Xiao Qing and Shu Che meet, they fall in love. But when their fathers clash in a legal battle, the lovers’ relationship is forever changed. As they struggle between their duty and their love, the two realize that they can never again be the way they once were.

Ugh so remember when I talked about dramas that drag out for waaaay too many episodes with barely any plot? Yeah this is one of those. I started watching this show cause I loved the two main leads in other shows and I was curious about what kind of chemistry the leads would have with each other keeping in mind the the fact that the actors are dating in real life. What I found was that 18 episodes in our main leads have spent like no time together and their "cute little misunderstandings" (which I'm not a fan of in the first place cause why does every romance have to start with enemies to lovers???) have gone on for way too long. I'm also not usually thrilled with the whole idea that the show starts with a main lead being in a relationship cause that always leads to their significant other looking an ass or the main lead looking like one for falling for someone else. The reason why Shu Che and Liao Yang "broke up" was real dumb and honestly Xiao Qing's spent more screen time with Cheng Ran and it's making me ship those two a little cause he's done everything a male lead should do in these 18 episodes but Xiao Qing's nothing but constantly annoyed/irritated with him and I can't help but feel it's so contrived so that she doesn't fall for anyone else beside Shu Che. She's randomly so upset when Shu Che gets the wrong image of her but doesn't give a shit about anyone else's opinion of her. Ugh. This honestly wasn't too hard of a decision to make when I thought about whether or not to drop this show cause there's barely anything in it that I've been enjoying. If I had kept going, I would have been watching this simply to see when/how our main leads actually interact (they looked so cute in the opening and closing numbers) but I'm not going to lie, I would have been pretty much fast forwarding through episodes at a time. If you want to know if this show is worth it, I'd give it a hard pass. Don't waste your time on this one.

TWDRAMA


Meet Me @ 1006 (24/26): Ke Zhen Yu is a lawyer. Suave, handsome and successful, he has never lost a case. Until now. When he loses one of his most high-profile cases, Ke Zhen Yu’s career sinks. After losing everything, the lawyer moves into a mysterious, low-budget apartment. There, he meets a new kind of roommate. Cheng Jia Le is a reporter. She lives in the same apartment as Ke Zhen Yu and meets him every day at 10:06pm. Except they don’t even live in the same realm. The two are meeting through some kind of supernatural portal, and they have no clue what to do. Ke Zhen Yu and Cheng Jia Le soon realize something is very wrong, and the only way to fix it is to work together. To do that, however, they must keep meeting at 10:06.

Talk about great chemistry between two leads! I was fascinated with the premise of this show and I was pleasantly surprised to see that this show was actually a murder mystery but what kept me around was not only how hot Lee Lego as Zhen Yu was but also how amazing the dynamic between Jia Le and Zhen Yu was. The love that bloomed between the two was so well written and one of my favorite things is seeing how different the past Zhen Yu is to the present Zhen Yu. It never ceases to amuse me how flustered the past version gets around Jia Le and the idea of dating her. If ever there was a case of denial, it would be here. I love watching the show piece together what happened with the murder case and even if I figured out pretty early on who the murderer really was, it was fun to see. The twist with Da Jun was insane and made me really sad! I can't wait to see how the show comes to an end!
Single Ladies Senior (10/15): Four best friends from college are finding success as modern career women. Wang Mi Na, Yin Ge Li, Weng Mei Yan and Bai Ya Xuan are considered princesses in a tower because of their focus on their work and careers. But as they each face their own challenges of career vs. relationship, must they make a choice or can they have both?

This was actually the first TWdrama that I ever checked out and it was due to the fact that I had just finished binging Hello My Twenties and I was craving another show about female friendship. This  show though not as good as I would have loved it to be is fun in it's own way. I've fallen in love with Mi Na and I've always despised girls who break girl code so the idea that the show is based around Ge Li stealing Mi Na's boyfriend from her was super interesting to me. I wasn't a huge fan of the college years cause Mi Na literally went from an independent character to someone who lived for her boyfriend which wasn't even enjoyable cause of how cringe-y their romance was portrayed. I really got hooked on the show when we sped up to present day. I'm loving all the characters in this show but I have a feeling that Shao Qi is the second lead in this which makes me kind of sad cause I love him and honestly I think Mi Na deserves to be with someone above all that nonsense so she should pick the guy who's got no baggage. Since this show is technically about the friendship between four girls I know eventually Mi Na and Ge Li will become friends again but I can't see Ge Li giving up Yi Fan that easily. Regardless of what happens, he doesn't even deserve Mi Na cause ew who would want to date a guy who choses your best friend over you and even though we're finally going to learn what happened when Ge Li and Yi Fan went to the states, I highly doubt whatever it is will change my mind. No matter how much Yi Fan regretted the decision, he made it and I'm assuming it was for a selfish reason.

JDRAMA


The Confidence Man JP (9/10): Dako is a con woman. She stays at a suite in a luxury hotel and schemes to take money from vicious wealthy people like yakuza bosses and evil businessmen. She works with Boku-chan and Richard. Boku-chan is a sincere and timid young con man. Richard is a veteran con man. Dako is able to master knowledge from various professions in a short period of time and disguises herself as someone working in that field. Along with Boku-chan and Richard, they carry their plans using fantastic teamwork.

I do love jdramas but I watch so few of them at a time cause unlike kdramas and even cdramas, jdramas are rarely subbed so it's hard for me to keep up with them. I've always been a fan of how insane and zany they are and their premises are always so different! I started watching this show cause I love conmen in tv shows and watching them be our heroes. Though this is a case of the week show with very little from past episodes affecting the next ones, I've really been enjoying watching how each person is conned every week! I love the subtle hints of romantic interest between Boku and Dako and how each week we think we know what the plan is only to be fooled by Dako! It's super fun and light-hearted and sometimes just what you need!


And that wraps up the dramas I'm currently watching. This week is a little different than what the template for future weeks will look like cause I had to give my thoughts for multiple episodes for each show as this is the first week I posted this. Starting next week I will still post the name of the show with the number of episodes I've watched as well as the synopsis but the description underneath will only discuss the episodes that I watched that week which will range from 1 to 4 depending on how many episodes of the show air each week. I hope you stick around and enjoy this!!!

xoxo Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment