Friday, June 15, 2018

What Dramas Am I Watching This Week?

So I hope you've been enjoying this new series so far! Here's what I'm watching this week! Of course the list is split by country and episodes I've seen so far are written below! There will be spoilers from now on so if you aren't caught to the episode number I list, you might want to go watch that episode and then come back! If you're interested in previous lists, click here and if you want to see a list of my favorite asian OTPs and ships, click here!

PS This week will be a little weird with how many episodes of shows I've watched cause of the World Cup which preempted a lot of shows.

KDRAMA


About Time (8/16): Choi Michaela is a musical actress. She has a special ability to see the lifespan clocks of other people. She meets a man who can stop her time and he falls in love with her.

Ah ha! As we all pretty much expected (cause this is a drama afterall), the time that Mika is getting isn't out of nowhere but she's basically stealing it from Do Ha. He's already lost like 40 years since we first saw his clock like a few episodes ago! This actually might be one of the only times where I feel like the noble I'm leaving you for your own good thing might actually work and make sense and I can't wait to see when it happens. We're halfway through the season and it's been fun so far. I still feel like no chemistry between the main leads but I'm over that now and I'll just believe whatever the show is telling me. Also Do Ha's family is still the goddamn worst and I feel so so so bad for Do Ha's sister in law. I hate rich families who feel so entitled that they look down on everyone and now we've learned even more terrible things they've done and if I was anyone I wouldn't be able to forgive them. Poor Do San died this week and that was really sad. I actually cried a bunch throughout episode 8. On the other hand I'm loving the awkwardness between Sung-Hee and Wi-Jin but for some reason is anyone else worried that Sung-Hee might be pregnant? Like who knows if they used protection and Wi-Jin is doing no favors to anyone by lying about them not sleeping together. I also still love Jae-Yoo's character and I live whenever he's on screen looking all adorable and shit.
Are You Human Too? (8/36): The drama tells of an android called Nam Shin III who must pretend to be the son of a rich family when the real Nam Shin falls into a coma. Nam Shin's mother, Oh Ro Ra is a genius on brain technology and artificial intelligence (AI) so when her son, the real Nam Shin, is taken away from her at a young age, in her grief she creates an android that looks exactly like her son and has it grow up in the place of Nam Shin. But when Nam Shin, who is a third generation heir to PK group, gets in an accident and is comatose, the android Nam Shin III must learn how to take his place.

This show is an interesting one for me to watch cause I can't decide if I like it or not. It's one of those shows where I'm not really excited to start watching it for the week but once it starts I don't want it to end. I think I would probs enjoy it more if I could binge it so I can fast forward through parts I don't entirely love. I am really loving Nam Shin III who's an adorable puppy and everyone on the good side but there's soooo much evil family plotting happening that I can't truly enjoy this show. I don't mind a villain now and again but when 70% of the show is them doing evil things I get a little bored. It also doesn't help that the female lead is living up to my first impression of her which is that she is kind of an asshole. Like objectively I understand where she's coming from and why she is the way she is but I can't help but be completely irritated at her for jumping to conclusion after conclusion without any real evidence cause I know who the good guys are. Like what did the real Nam Shin do to give her such an utterly awful impression of him so much so that she will do anything to take him down for money even after he saved her damn life? I'm hoping that now that she knows that Nam Shin III is a robot that everyone will explain to her what's really going on and because of that she'll mellow and I'll be able to enjoy her more. I wonder if this will mean that Nam Shin will wake up soon cause So Bong can't fall for Nam Shin III now that she knows he's a robot and without that there's no romantic storyline running throughout the show. I would love if both Nam Shin and Nam Shin III acted as one to fool the evil family when Nam Shin wakes up but I have a feeling that Nam Shin is just going to be jealous/furious that his mom created someone to replace him. I also wonder if there's a possibility in the show for Nam Shin III to become evil cause I keep getting hints of emotion from him like jealously and a bit of a complex in which he thinks he's better than humans. It would be an interesting twist but I kind of hope it isn't true cause dude we have enough villains to last a lifetime.
Come And Hug Me (16/32): A man and a woman suffers from wounded hearts due to a murder case that took place in their past. The man is a detective and the woman is a popular actress. When Do-Jin and Jae-Yi were high school students, they were each other's first love. Do-Jin's father Hee-Jae was a psychopath and killed Jae-Yi's parents. Do-Jin and Jae-Yi were separated afterwards. Now Do-Jin works as a detective. He treats the victim's family with care. This is his way of atoning for his father's horrific act. Meanwhile, Jae-Yi works as an actress. She followed in the footsteps of her late mother who was a famous actress. Since her parents' deaths, Jae-Yi has suffered from post-traumatic stress disorder. Do-Jin and Jae-Yi meet again.

Ugh can someone please murder the reporter already? I have never hated a character more in a drama and honestly she's even worse than all the serial killers in this show! Like at least they're insane and whatever but she's just trying to profit out of other people's misery and in fact looking to cause more misery. She really shouldn't be so comfortable and I'm afraid that she's going to bribe the old police officer into saying that Do-Jin or Jae-Yi whacked Hee-Jae (even if it's true) and make it sound worse than it is. Honestly I don't understand the world of this show cause like Jae-Yi is the victim but the way they make it sound that the people on the internet are saying is more like she shouldn't be on camera cause she was a victim. Like it was weird enough when they kept shifting the blame to Do-Jin who literally turned his own father in like how much more innocent of someone else's crimes can you be? And honestly I have the feels that Do-Jin's brother isn't actually the one out for Jae-Yi. He's insane but in a different way than his father. Like I always feel like he just wants his dad's approval more than anything (not that I feel any sympathy towards him.) We did finally get some POV from Jae-Yi and we saw that she does still love Do-Jin and she wants him around and she doesn't blame him but she knows that he blames himself and cause of that she doesn't push him into being around more often. They had the softest sweetest scene in her bedroom this week!
Handsome Guy and Jung Eum/The Undateables (14/32): Hoon-Nam knows about love theoretically, but he rejects falling in love. Jung-Eum wants to fall in love, but, due to her difficult situation, she gives up on finding love. Hoon-Nam and Jung-Eum meet and develop a relationship romantically.

I do enjoy this show for some odd reason but I'm still really annoyed with the bet situation that just like popped out of nowhere cause Hoon-Nam's cousin is the freaking worst and I can't look at him without rolling my eyes at what the exact model of a fuckboy he is. Ugh. I know that Hoon-Nam is supposed to be the playboy in this show but I just don't get that vibe from him and I can't decide if he's supposed to be one in the show or not cause I thought he was more of a knows how to play the game but doesn't care enough about woman to try to play it. Like as smooth as he thinks he is, as soon as he has the slightest feelings toward Jung-Eum, suddenly he's the most bumbling mess and I think it's adorable. I was surprised that they kissed again this week cause I was really expecting it to be later on but I definitely enjoyed it and I love that both are like completely on board with a relationship now. Also I need the second male lead to step back a smidge. Like I know you like her but boy you had decades to admit it and I feel no sympathy. I do wish we could go back to more of the matchmaking stuff cause I really enjoyed the chocolatier one we had and I'm a little dissapointed that we've seemed to steer away from that. I'm also curious as to who that girl is but I'm pretty sure that she's not going to be an ex but probs a random girl who lived with him like Jung-Eum lives with Jun-Soo.
Investigation Couple/Partners For Justice (18/32): Baek Beom has worked as a forensic doctor for 10 years. He has a bad personality, but he is excellent with his work. Baek Beom does not open his mind to other people. Eun Sol is a rookie prosecutor with a warm heart. She has a bright personality and she comes from wealth family background. The forensic doctor and prosecutor work together to solve case.

I really enjoyed episode 17 and 18 this week cause other than one time I wasn't rolling my eyes at Eun Sol. She's started to grow on me if I'm being honest but I think that's mostly cause she's so charming as a person and that her only competition as a prosecutor is Kang Hyun who is a moron in his own right. Like I get him feeling like Baek Beom got away with killing his wife (even though he clearly didn't have any evidence of that except for what he believed) but once he also shifted Baek Beom's blame to killing his older brother, I was a little turned off of him. For a moment I actually thought Eun Sol and Kang Hyun might be cute together but until Kang Hyun apologizes to Baek Beom for being so damn biased, I don't know if I can like his character all that much. I also wish the prosecutors and honestly pretty much everyone would stop showing up in front of the NFS and yell about how they're biased or not helping. Like dudes putting together what happened is not their job. They're supposed to be objective! It's also kind of funny that pretty much every case for a while now is so personal but I guess it makes sense cause a personal case is more interesting than a random death.
Lawless Lawyer (10/16): When Bong Sang-Pil was little, he lived with his mother in Gisung. His mother worked as a lawyer and she took on a case that Judge Cha Moon-Sook got involved with. Judge Cha Moon-Sook was the most respected person in the city. One night, Bong Sang-Pil witnessed his mother get killed by Judge Cha Moon-Sook's subordinate. Bong Sang-Pil got out of Gisung and went to live with his gang boss uncle Choi Dae-Woong. Bong Sang-Pil decided to become a lawyer to take revenge on those responsible for his mother's death. 18 years later, Bong Sang-Pil works as a lawyer. He sees news on the TV that a detective was arrested for killing the mayor of Gisung. The detective holds a key to the murder of Bong Sang-Pil's mother. Bong Sang-Pil returns to Gisung for the first time in 18 years. He opens up a law office there. Meanwhile, Ha Jae-Yi is a lawyer with integrity. She beats up a judge in court and gets her law license suspended. Ha Jae-Yi returns to her hometown of Gisung. There, Bong Sang-Pil approaches Ha Jae-Yi and gets her to work at his law office. Bong Sang-Pil holds a secret related to the death of Ha Jae-Yi’s mother.

Ahh what a crazy week for Lawless Lawyer! After Dae Woong was killed last week, I was really sad and kind of annoyed cause despite the fact that he's this big gang boss, he was killed waaaay too easy and it felt like just a way for Sang Pil to get even more involved in his revenge scheme (as if he needs any more motivation.) I've also been worried for a while that what is going to tear Sang Pil and Jae Yi apart is that she's going to lose interest in the revenge when she finds out her mother is alive while he digs in deeper but after this week I have a feeling that probably won't be the case since Jae Yi has admitted she loves Sang Pil out loud for the first time along with several other really cute moments between the two. It's possible that watching too many melodramas has affected me in that I assume that there's always relationship trouble on the horizon and with this not being a melo, maybe (hopefully) there won't be any of that when there's plenty of other types of drama to go around. On the other hand, I still don't understand why Jae Yi can't recognize her own mother especially since her mom's photo is hung up in the photo studio so it's not like she could forget her face! It was also heartbreaking that all of Dae Woong's gang men automatically assumed that Sang Pil killed his uncle even though they've know Sang Pil for like at least 10 years and should know just how much he loved his only family and I had hoped after episode 9 that now that both Dae Woong's gang and Scorpion would have lined up behind Sang Pil too (cause honestly our guys need all the backup they can get) but it seems after episode 10, the number 2 guy might actually not care that much about Dae Woong's death and actually just might be pissed cause Sang Pil interrupted his own takeover scheme. Also did I or did I not call it that Mayor Ahn was going to turn on the seven cause he'd get too greedy for his own good? I can't wait to see what's next!
Miss Hammurabi (7/16): Park Cha O Reum works as a rookie judge. She is in her mid-20's and follows "an eye for an eye" principle. She does not accept prejudice or blindly follow authority. Dealing with cases, she and her colleagues, including Im Ba-Reun, grow as people.

The case and the theme for this week was about family and I actually really enjoyed it cause it's one that everyone can relate to whether you fall on Ba-Reun or Oh-Reum's side of the argument about family. We never did get a resolution to the case but since the case wasn't really about a verdict this week but teaching us a lesson I'm okay with it. Like I'm sure legally the property has to be given back and divided evenly but the lesson was that clearly the adopted son was the only one who truly loved his father and that blood is not always thicker than water. The family we chose is sometimes more important than the family we're born with. Ba-Reun was really affected by the trial this week cause he understands family drama and I wasn't a huge fan of Oh-Reum lecturing him about family cause she doesn't know anything about his home life and true it turned out that Ba-Reun didn't know all the facts when he was young but she still shouldn't have been so annoying about it. I really wish one of the these weeks Oh-Reum would actually figure out that she always looks at things only from her perspective which makes her feel holier than thou. It's my struggle with her character cause I like what she stands up for but not always the way she does. I was also glad that the awkwardness between our main couple wasn't entirely due to her rejection of him and I laughed out loud when even drunk as hell Ba-Reun was smooth as hell giving her a birthday gift.
FINISHED Suits (16/16): Choi Kang-Seok is the best lawyer at the prestigious Kang & Ham Law Firm. He is promoted to a senior partner. Go Yeon-Woo has a photographic memory and excellent comprehension skills. He dreamed of becoming a lawyer, but due to his poor background he currently works as a parking valet. To pay for his grandmother's hospital bill, he takes a job to deliver drugs to a hotel room. While in front of the hotel room, Go Yeon-Woo realizes that he is going into a trap. Go Yeon-Woo is then chased by the cops, but he gets into the secretary's office for Lawyer Choi Kang-Seok. At that time, a group of people are waiting to take interviews with Choi Kang-Seok. He is going to select a rookie lawyer for the law firm after conducting the interviews. Go Yeon-Woo is then admitted into Choi Kang-Seok's office. Choi Kang-Seok senses that Go Yeon-Woo is not the applicant they called in for the interview, but he is impressed with Go Yeon-Woo's intelligence & memory. Choi Kang-Seok decides to hire Go Yeon-Woo as a rookie lawyer even though he does not have a license to practice law. Choi Kang-Seok's decision could even place his own career in jeopardy.

What a finale amirite?? I cried so much during so much of the episode though part of that might have been cause I was tipsy while watching and suddenly everything was heartbreaking! Like I called last week Yeon-Woo was just playing double agent to get to Ham to think that he was on his side to get the truth out of him and I wasn't surprised either to find out that Ham was behind all of it from writing the memo years ago to giving it to David Kim to putting it in the Kang and Ham storage place with a forged signature on it. I was living for the bromance in these last two episodes and how Yeon-Woo and Kang-Seok were basically finishing each other's sentences when they were dragging Ham over the coals. Park Hyungsik brings this puppy quality to Yeon-Woo that it's like all he wants is for Kang-Seok to be proud of him and it's the most precious thing. I was also living for that awkward confrontation with Da Ham and how Yeon-Woo not so subtly left them alone so they could talk about their feelings even if that didn't actually happen. The final episode was so bittersweet with the death of Yeon-Woo's grandmom and him ending up in prison to atone for his mistakes but I liked that Kang-Seok became a managing partner of the firm and though I'm sure they weren't exactly pleased with him, everyone supported Yeon-Woo in the end cause he did help save the firm twice! I hardcore sobbed when Yeon-Woo was about to go to jail and was like Kang-Seok grant my last request and it was just a fist bump like how can you not love this adorable little puppy. My favorite scene though has to be when Kang-Seok visited Yeon-Woo in jail and Yeon-Woo practically said the same thing Kang-Seok said about playing cards and Kang-Seok's horrified face at the idea that they might be the same person slayed me. I like to imagine that now that Yeon-Woo is out of jail, he'll get to go to law school and pass the bar before having a spot at Choi and Kang. Overall I really enjoyed the show and the bromance really won me over. I'd give this show a 8.5 / 10!!
What's Wrong With Secretary Kim? (4/16): What's Wrong With Secretary Kim revolves around the narcissistic Lee Young Joon, the vice president of a company run by his family. He is very self absorbed and thinks highly of himself, so much so that he barely acknowledges the people around him. Lee Young Joon has a capable and patient secretary in Kim Mi So who has remained by his side and worked diligently for 9 years without any romantic involvement.But Mi So has grown tired of her frustrating boss so when she decides to resign from her job, hilarious misunderstandings ensue. After 9 years of their strictly-workplace relationship, can it now develop in something more?

I so adore this show. I loved everything this week and I laughed so hard during so many scenes. I'm almost completely sure by now that both Young Joon and Mi So have been in love with each other for a while but never noticed it or thought that their love was just familiarity. This is one of my favorite tropes cause I love the idea that two people who know each other so well suddenly have to learn a whole new side. It's one of the reasons I fell so in love with Fight My Way! It's really sweet how Mi So knows pretty everything about him and worries for him constantly even when she doesn't have to and defends him whenever someone tries to say anything negative about him. She can basically see right through him when he's trying to bluff or act big. I do wish that he would pay a bit more attention to her and her wants but it was sweet watching him be all heart-eyes towards her and I'm sure as the season goes on, he'll slowly start to learn more and more about her. I like the reveal that the two of them were really close growing up and it seems like the kidnapping that she remembers was actually his kidnapping based on those scars on his ankles that I'm sure came from cable ties. It makes it even sweeter that she's basically the only one allowed to touch him cause I'm sure he's terrified since then of anyone touching him but that he feels safe with her. I'm very curious about Young Joon's brother cause I thought at first that maybe Young Joon did something bad to make his brother leave but based on what Young Joon said and how Sung Yeon acted this week, I think maybe that is true but the reasons are not so bad. Something about the brother is just so sketchy and I wonder if he's somehow related to the kidnapping. Also he needs to stay faaaar away from Mi So cause even from their first two scenes together he seems kind of creepy/stalkerish and the way he told Young Joon that he's more interested in Mi So now that Young Joon is making an effort to keep her away from him made me throw up a little in my mouth. It's clearly more than simple jealously cause Young Joon has never actively tried to keep her away from someone like his brother and it makes me wonder if he's somehow violent towards women... I assume we're going to go through a few episodes where she thinks he's a great guy and Young Joon is being mean but then she'll find out why Young Joon hates him and change her mind. It's going to be real silly cause even if Young Joon is a bit of a clueless narcissist sometimes, he's never cruel to people on purpose so the fact that he's so riled up is a really big deal! I wonder if the parents know cause they were working really hard to get their sons together tonight.
Wok Of Love/Greasy Melo (22/40): Set at a small Chinese restaurant. Drama series follows Seo Poong's attempts at survival, food and love. Chef Seo Poong was once a star chef and worked at the best Chinese restaurant. His popularity faded and he eventually wound up working at a small, failing Chinese restaurant. Meanwhile, Doo Chil-Seong is the owner of a building. He is an ex-gang member and he was in jail for 5 years.

As the episodes of this show keep going I fall more and more in love with Poong (mostly cause I love Jun-Ho) but also cause Poong is such a little cinnamon roll. I'm really enjoying this whole shrimp contest Hungry Wok is having with the hotel and I'm loving watching people realize how good Poong's cooking is although I was hoping that by taking back his recipe book the hotel chefs wouldn't be as good. The end of episode 22 was so exciting when they stole 100 people from the hotel but I have a feeling that the hotel is going to steal them back before Hungry Wok can cook for them. Honestly I was surprised that when the hotel chef came to Hungry Wok he didn't try to sabotage anything though I suppose that until this moment no one at the hotel actually believed that Poong could do anything so I expect to see a lot more drama going forward. I also hope we get more Sae-Woo and Poong cause they are adorable and everyone can see including Chil-Seong who at first I felt a little bad for but one thing I hate in dramas is when someone refuses to take no for an answer and Sae-Woo out and out told him twice that she's not interested as well as telling him that she likes Poong so for Chil-Seong to keep trying is a little creepy/stalkerish for me.

CDRAMA


DROPPED A Love So Beautiful (7/24): It starts off with high school classmates Chen Xiao and Jiang Chen who are also neighbors. Xiao Xi, a cheerful girl who doesn't study much, is expressive about her admiration towards Jiang Chen, the popular guy known for his looks and high grades. Together with their fellow classmates the funny Lu Yang, athletic but loyal Jingjing, and cool swimming team member Wu Bo Song, they embark on high school life to university until their adult life.

So I'm not sure exactly what I expected getting into this show because I didn't really think I would be that into the show based on it's description but I kept hearing raving reviews about how amazing this show was and I had just finished School 2017 which I loved and I wanted something similar so I went into this show with somewhat high hopes but I ended up being really bored and this show ended up reminding me more of Huckleberry Friends than School 2017. I did stick through 7 and a half episodes hoping that eventually the show would pick up or that something I was interested in would happen but all it did was keep me wondering what it was that attracted people to this show cause it just seemed like nothing was ever happening. The main character Chen Xiao was a bit of a moron and obsessed with Jiang Chen from the first episode and I'm really not usually a fan of girls falling in love first cause then all the female characters do is turn their life to fit what the guy wants while when the guy falls in love first he is there for her but still has his own interests. Honestly I could have dealt with her cringe better but then the show did the second thing I despise in rom coms and that was the cold male lead. I am really not a fan of male leads who are emotionless/mean to the girls into them cause then all I can think about is why the hell is she into him if he's such an ass?! In this case Jiang Chen was a little different cause he mostly just ignored the female lead (though he was into her!) and although this was better characterization than I expected, I was still confused about why the hell he hid his feelings when she made hers clear almost every episode and there was nothing really stopping them. Instead of manning up and telling her how he felt all he did was run around and secretly do things for her while being jealous any time she talked to another guy. Which leads to the third straw that broke the camel's back which was the fact that I fell in love with Bo Song the second male lead. He reminded me so much of Tae-Woon from School 2017 in that he loved Chen Xiao and supported her in pretty much everything. He was the only character I bonded with and I noticed after about 7ish episodes that I was watching it just for him and that was maybe time to drop this show cause he won't get the girl and I can't watch a show where I fall for the second lead. Sorry guys but I might be the only person in the world who disliked this show lol.
Love's Lies (41/44): A package containing methamphetamine shatters the once peaceful life of an average white collar worker named Dou Dou. The sender is Dou Dou's ex-boyfriend Jin Yuan who ran from their wedding seven years ago. Dou Dou changes course en route to the police station and decides to confront Jin Yuan. Detective Qiao Liang has been keeping tabs on Jin Yuan for his suspected involvement with the crime syndicate that range from drug trafficking to money laundering. Unwilling to let go of her ex, Dou Dou takes it upon herself to help Jin Yuan turn over a new leaf, oblivious to his real identity as an undercover cop.

This week's episodes were really fun. I've been feeling a little burnt out on the whole drug undercover thing but it was nice that this week our good guys have finally turned a corner and may be back on a top or at least no longer down and out. Director Liu wasn't actually arrested, Qiao Liang is in the know (FINALLY), Jin Yuan is back to being Uncle Kun's right hand man and even Dou Dou is working undercover now. It was super freaking annoying when Dou Dou straight up followed Jin Yuan to Thailand cause she has to know that she was going to be a liability and even weirder was when Jin Yuan actually told her to spy on Bang cause I was like why would he put his pregnant wife in danger like that? I do like the idea of her being in Bang's home now and having to use her acting skills (which are actually pretty good) to stay alive though Qiao Liang and the cops might know where she is now and be able to get her out. I also like that Captain Huang was outed to his daughter and that she went to warn Dou Dou almost immediately but I do wish she would have said something to someone about him being a mole though after finding out that his tricks didn't really amount to anything, I'm okay with it being on the DL for now.
Moonshine and Valentine/A Love Knot: His Excellency's First Love (24/25): The love story between Guan Pi Pi, an ordinary girl who has felt alone and abandoned in this world and Helan Jing Ting, a mysterious Jade Master who is part of the Fox clan; that transcends a few lifetimes.

We finally moved past the breaking up with you because I want to protect you trope this week and though I thought the whole thing was silly, I did really enjoy their reconciliation and those kisses were hot as hell!! Besides when Pi Pi and Helan hooked up, the scene where the trio were at the wedding planner and the planner couldn't figure out who was getting married for the life of her and the boys were in charge of the whole thing making her think that it was a gay marriage was one of my favorites. I was living! Sidebar the fact that Helan and Pi Pi hooked up while he was sick was hilarious but the wedding was beautiful. Zhao Song is getting worse and worse as the weeks go by and it's breaking my heart cause I really did love him when the show started. The most awkward thing is that if he hadn't meddled a few episodes ago, Qian Hua would have married him and Helan probably would have killed himself to save Pi Pi thus giving Zhao Song exactly what he wanted. I don't understand his plan if I'm being honest. Like what even was the point of framing them for murder if it meant nothing in the end? I was also curious as to what Helan's father's intentions were because it seemed really fishy that he was apologizing for everything especially after the big fuss he kicked up when Zhao Song and Qian Hua were "getting married" but it all amounted to nothing cause he died. I think the problem with this show was that either there weren't enough episodes for how much story the show wanted to tell or we went too slowly through plot that didn't matter which is why everything feels a little rushed now. I wonder if this show will have a sad ending with one of our two main leads dying as per this genre but I think based on that vision Helan had of his mother, maybe the curse will be broken somehow. I do wish just once that one of these mystical/magical shows would end with the human becoming a mystical creature. Like why does someone always have to die or become human or decide only to be together for a few years until the human dies?
FINISHED The Mystic Nine (48/48): During the era of the republic, the town of Changsha was guarded by nine families known as the "Old Nine Gates" (or the "Mystic Nine" Clan). They were incredibly powerful families who wield supreme power over everything in Changsha. In 1933, a mysterious train ended in Changsha station. The leader of the Nine Gates, Zhang Qi Shan who was also the army commander of Changsha station, started to investigate with Qi Tie Zui and they discovered a highly suspicious mine just outside of Changsha. In order to solve the mystery of the mine, they decided to engage the help of Er Yue Hong who was an opera singer that came from a family of archaeologists. However Er Ye was reluctant to help them as his wife Ya Tou was terminally ill. In order to procure the medicine for treating her, Fo Ye travelled to Bei Ping with Er Ye, Ba Ye and Ya Tou and they met the young mistress of the hotel Yin Xin Yue there. The five of them later returned to Changsha and discovered the how the mystery of the mine was connected to their families’ histories and the Japanese’s sinister plot against Changsha.

Usually I prefer modern day dramas to period ones (no real reason why but maybe I just haven't checked out enough period ones) but after I loved Siege in Fog so much I felt like checking out one set in another era especially after seriously disliking A Life So Beautiful and wanting something totally different (you know how that is.) Ironically the synopsis for this show really threw me off cause I expected this to be more of a mythical/magical show but it turned out to be more of an Indian Jones type of show which was an unexpected but welcome surprise. I really loved watching this show and even if there were several things I didn't love while watching it, thinking back I had a pleasant experience. I loved Qi Shan as a character and William Chan's performance in this show really won me back over to his side cause though I thought he was pretty good in Only Side By Side With You, that show really soured me on him and I was glad that this one was much more interesting. I loved his chemistry with Xin Yue and how they were so adorable cause again this was one of those relationships where she was a ball of sunshine and literally forced him into loving her. Some of my favorite moments of this show were how she utterly confused the life out of him so much so that he didn't even realize when she had wormed her way into his heart. Aside from their cute relationship, I loved Xin Yue as a character cause when she first appeared, I thought she might be one of those "feisty female characters" who are really naive but to my surprise and enjoyment she turned out to be no slouch when it came to politics, making her and Qi Shan a power couple. Some of the side characters like Ba Ye got real annoying after a while and Er Ye's obsessive love started to wear on me but I still found plenty of enjoyment in the tomb robbing aspect of the show and how even when the heroes were down, they were still leagues ahead of the villains which I loved. I was a bit disappointed in the ending cause it ended on such a sad cliffhanger but the rumors are that there will be a season 2 so I'll let it slide. I'd definitely give this show a 10 / 10! A must watch for sure cause this might be one of the uniquest concepts for a show I've seen so far although if you're in it just for the romance, you might be a bit disappointed cause most of the show is about robbing tombs with romance sprinkled throughout.

TWDRAMA


FINISHED Meet Me @ 1006 (26/26): Ke Zhen Yu is a lawyer. Suave, handsome and successful, he has never lost a case. Until now. When he loses one of his most high-profile cases, Ke Zhen Yu’s career sinks. After losing everything, the lawyer moves into a mysterious, low-budget apartment. There, he meets a new kind of roommate. Cheng Jia Le is a reporter. She lives in the same apartment as Ke Zhen Yu and meets him every day at 10:06pm. Except they don’t even live in the same realm. The two are meeting through some kind of supernatural portal, and they have no clue what to do. Ke Zhen Yu and Cheng Jia Le soon realize something is very wrong, and the only way to fix it is to work together. To do that, however, they must keep meeting at 10:06.

The final two episodes of this show aired this week and I loved every moment and I'm sad that this show is over. Lee Lego and Hsieh Nikki had amazing chemistry from the very beginning of this show whether they were fighting or in love and I'm 100% sure that so much of the reason why I loved this show was due to the two of them. Now I want to watch other dramas they were in together just to see them together again. As for the final two episodes, I loved seeing past Zhen Yu remember all the memories that future Zhen Yu had and how Jia Le literally kissed him until his feelings came back. It's weird that we never truly got a case closed on the case that we spent 26 episodes worrying about but I suppose that we're supposed to think that the evidence was plenty. The more important story for me was with Da Jun and how despite him being an entitled asshole who literally murdered a girl cause she friend-zoned him, I still cared for him (probably cause Zhen Yu loved him so much) and I loved the confrontation they had at the place Zhen Yu's dad died because it was such an emotional scene full of their love and the love of Jia Le and Zhen Yu. When the gun accidentally went off and Zhen Yu was clipped, Da Jun freaked out cause despite everything he still loved Zhen Yu. I was really glad that once Zhen Yu woke up from his coma that we didn't have to deal with any more amnesia cause we already played with that trope a few episodes ago and it worked much better there than if they had done it again. I loved the way this show ended and I'd definitely give it a 8.5 / 10!

xoxo Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment