Thursday, October 1, 2020

Summer 2020 Anime Awards

Hey guys! So this week was the last week of the Summer 2020 Anime Season so I thought it would be fun to shout out some of the my superlatives for the season!

Anime Of The Season

Fruits Basket is definitely my anime of the season once again which makes me feel slightly bad cause it is a leftover from Spring 2020 but I think it should count anyway cause there was not one single anime that got close to making me laugh and cry as this one did. I honestly think Fruits Basket is one of the best anime out there in general cause it takes this premise that feels like it should be the same old same old but turns it completely on it's head. While so many anime attempt to tell the story of a kind girl and the reverse harem she builds, Fruits Basket actually shows us that Tohru isn't just kind with no other substance but that her kindness is actually a wall to keep people out. She pushes her emotions way deep down and spends most of her time helping others figure out their feelings. Her relationship with each member of the Sohma family is different and she doesn't so much as heal them as she shows them why life is worth living and opens up routes for them to find their own way out of the darkness. I love that this anime shows us that platonic love is just as important as romantic but also gives us so many wonderful ships to pick from. It's a story of learning to grow past horrible childhoods and the abuse cycle. Click here to read more of my thoughts about this anime.

Runner Up - The Great Pretender

Hidden Gem 

The Great Pretender is my pick for hidden gem of the season though it was a hard pick between this and the runner up. I was honestly really excited to check this show out when I first heard of it cause I adore con artist shows and movies and I've never actually seen an anime with this premise before so it was unique in the sea of similar anime to pick from. I loved every single character in this show and every con minus the first one was fun to watch. I do wish that our cons were a little shorter cause I felt like they went a little too long in terms of keeping my attention but I liked that each one shined a light on a different one of our main cast so that we could get to know them alongside watching fun antics. I also thought that the dubbing style of throwing in accents was super fun and honestly I low key wish it would have stayed that way rather than smoothing it out. I'm definitely looking forward to checking out the second part of this show when it airs in the Fall! If you want to read a more in-depth review, click here.

Runner Up - Koi to Producer: EVOL x LOVE

Best Sequel 

Fruits Basket Season 2 is without a doubt the best sequel of this season but then again it didn't have much competition as it was the only anime that I watched this season that was a sequel. I already gushed about everything I love about this show in the anime of the season section so here I guess I should talk about what this season did to progress the story forward. I honestly love the way this show lets us get to know our main characters and their backstories only to let us see the way they grow up and become better people. This season was a very Yuki centric one where we got to see him embrace the way he feels about Tohru without feeling ashamed anymore and learn to make friends and discover that the things he was so scared of as a child, aren't so scary anymore. Even Kyo was able to accept his love for Tohru and though he's still afraid to be locked up after he graduates, you can see how much less angry and hostile he is towards others. Click here to read more of my thoughts about this anime.

Runner Up - None cause this was the only sequel I watched.

Greatest Animation/Character Design

The God Of High School had the best animation this season cause even though I found myself losing interest in this anime as it went on, I can't ever say that the animation style was anything other than perfect from start to finish. This show is one giant Tournament Arc so the fact that it was able to take the designs from the webtoon that it started with and become animated into these lovely fight scenes and unique character drawings was everything. I do think that this show might have flubbed a little throwing us into the fights from the very start without introducing us to the main characters first and I find myself less and less interested in the Gods of this world but I know plenty of people absolutely live for this show so I can't say anything too much!

Runner Up - The Great Pretender 

Best OP 

Contradiction by Ksuke from The God Of High School is definitely my favorite OP of the season which is funny cause I usually don't love dubstep but this song really makes you want to jam out and be powerful! I definitely downloaded it onto my own playlist.

Runner Up - Home by Toki Asako from Fruits Basket

Protagonist Of The Season

Anos Voldigoad from Misfit Of Demon Academy is my protagonist of the season which is funny cause I'm usually not a huge power fantasy kind of girl cause other than The Irregular At Magic High School, I've never usually been a fan of the overpowered hero trope. Something about Anos though is just so fun to watch and I can't help but feel like it's power can actually be explained in world as he's the King of demonkind. I love his chill personality and how much emphasis he puts on family and love. It's so interesting that he has no problem with killing and conquering and yet protective and loyal to his own.

Runner Up - Tohru Honda from Fruits Basket

Antagonist Of The Season

Black Swan from Koi to Producer: EVOL x LOVE are my antagonists of the season cause honestly though I didn't watch a lot of shows where there were antagonists to be had, in the end I picked Black Swan cause I just thought they felt real. Black Swan is an organization very similar to Magneto's Brotherhood of Mutants cause they see Evolvers as the next step in human evolution and that fascinates me cause humanity has always been terrified of that which is different and so it's totally believable why people would follow them especially when the cops themselves are out to kill Evolvers. Their evil plan is an ends justify the means type of situation where what they want isn't the most terrible but the way they want to get there is.

Runner Up - Akito Sohma from Fruits Basket

Ship Of The Season

Tohru and Kyo from Fruits Basket are hands down my ship of the season and really there was no competition cause Kyoru is out here reaching god level of romantic tension and pining while the other ships are swimming around in the shallow end! No but seriously Kyo is able to see past all of Tohru's walls to her inner emotions no matter how much Tohru pretends she's okay while Tohru not only acts as a safe haven for Kyo in the midst of all the Sohma drama that he has to deal with but also only opens up to him. Kyo learns to love himself and Tohru learns that it's okay to be selfish. These two are made from the same cloth but they're not two halves of the same coin. 

Runner Up - Misha and Anos from Misfit Of Demon Academy


And with that I'll see you all in the Fall 2020 Season!

xoxo Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment