Monday, September 19, 2016

Gotham Season 3 Episode 1 Review

The month between when summer shows end and fall shows begin is always the longest and most painful so let me tell you that I am so glad that the fall tv lineup is beginning!! Episode 1 of Season 3 just aired and I'm hear to give you my thoughts on the Season 3 premiere!

Overall I enjoyed the premiere. The show has grown so much from the first season and honestly it's a ton of fun to watch if you turn off your brain. The show has realized by now that people who are tuning into the show aren't there for Jim Gordon or the procedural elements but in fact for the crazy villains and baby Bruce and this episode went full force.

So first up let's talk about my favorite part of the show. I adore Barbara Keen. Seriously. I was so utterly bored with her character during most of season 1 but as a villain she is a joy to watch. I could watch a show all about her just running errands around Gotham. The club she and Tabitha are running is great and I love their relationship with Penguin. I've always pictured Gotham's underworld as sort of cordial rather than full of rivalry especially since villains like to team up to take on the heroes (like Batman) so often. Oh and Butch pining for Tabitha made me die of laughter. Did they break up during the 6 month time jump? I couldn't stop laughing and the best part was how exasperated Penguin was with Butch's love for her and Barbara's amusement with the situation. I am still curious about Barbara and Jim not particularly in a romantic setting but based on the fact that Jim will have a daughter named Barbara in the future and it still seems weird to me that he would name his only child after someone he can't stand which means that Barbara and Jim have to reconcile at some point. Tbh anything that puts Barbara on screen makes me happy.

And speaking of villains being friends, Penguin and Riddler! The only thing I'm going to say here is how much I love this friendship. They're so different but so similar and I love Penguin coming to Riddler for advice and Riddler making him an origami Penguin. Some of my favorite scenes in season 2 were when Penguin lived with Riddler. I just want all the villains to be friends and be crazy together and make amazing plans to make the lives of the cops miserable. Can you tell yet what part of this show I enjoy?

Next up is Fish. There really wasn't much going on here that I was interested in because we kinda all guessed that Fish would take over the Indian Hill experiments. I don't know why I'm not interested in Fish but I've never found her that fun to watch and that's still true even with her powers. Her whole thing was that she was dying because of her powers and honestly yawn. Jim Gordon chasing her wasn't that great either but I am curious about Selina and why she's with Fish. Is she playing Fish or looking out for herself cause she knows that Fish is the biggest bad?

The ending with Ivy was interesting though and I guess the time aging guy who grabbed Ivy for a few minutes is going to explain how Ivy grows up but Bruce and Selina don't. I assume the sewer she fell into is going to be contaminated with chemicals or something so she can get her plant powers? In the comics she always gets her powers from plant chemicals or plant toxins so I assume that's what'll happen in the show.

Let's check in with Bruce. He's apparently been in Switzerland for 6 months which made Selina pissy at him but he's back with evidence of the secret council that's running Wayne Enterprises which he takes to the Wayne Enterprises board. Question about this so called board. I know Bruce is technically CEO but does that mean he owns Wayne Enterprises or is he a shareholder in the company? Cause if it's the former, I'm not sure why he can't fire all of the board and replace them with people he trusts cause it sounds like the whole board or at least a majority of it is being run by this secret council. But either way he threatens them with exposure unless the secret council talks to him. At first I thought the council wanted to kill him which personally I thought was a terrible idea because hello I'm sure Bruce set up a contingency is the case of death in that the evidence would get released to keep them from killing him but it looked like the council just wanted to kidnap him probably to threaten him into keeping quiet.

Also I'm very curious about this twin of Bruce's. I would laugh so hard if it actually was Bruce's twin brother à la Pretty Little Liars in that his twin was crazy so the Waynes locked him up.

Jim started this episode looking for Lee who was in the South kissing some guy and clearly moving on very quickly from Jim. I wonder if this is because Lee IRL was pregnant and wanted to take care of their baby rather than act. I'm okay with their in-show breakup because honestly Jim is the worst boyfriend. He's super controlling and kinda sexist and wants his women to sit around and act like ornaments. But speaking of love interests, it looks like he might have a new one. Valerie Vale is a new character on the show and seems like a really good reporter. According to the internet she is actually the aunt of Vicki Vale who is in the comics as a Batman reporter and love interest for Bruce Wayne in a Lois Lane kinda way.

Jim was so upset with Lee moving on that he decided not to rejoin the GCPD and became a bounty hunter instead. He caught a bunch of the Indian Hill escapees and the police tried to do some policing and Barnes yelled. Business as usual. Also the GCPD got spanked by Valerie so that was fun.

And with that I will conclude by review of this episode of Gotham. Like I said it was fun to watch overall and I'm excited to see where this season will go!! I need more of the crazies!!!

xoxo Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment