Sunday, September 25, 2016

Once Upon a Time Season 6 Episode 1 Review


So Episode 1 of Season 6 finally aired and can you believe that we're on season 6?? I've been watching this show for six years and if that doesn't make you feel old I don't know what will! As far as premieres go, it wasn't one of the better ones but I'm still very excited for where this season goes!!

I was a little disappointed at how little Aladdin appeared but I guess since it's only been the first episode, I'll cut the show some slack. What we did get, I enjoyed. I really like this Jafar and I love how scary he seems. We didn't get much from Aladdin so I can't really judge him and the girl that was with him is apparently an Oracle. I had thought it might be the Genie at first but the Oracle is pretty cool too! I'm glad we're not done with Greek myths after last season. It seems last season just opened the door to Greek myths rather than closed it. Based on what Hyde told Emma and what the Oracle told Emma, I think that Aladdin and possibly Jasmine are probably some of the people in the Untold Stories World cause it would make sense given that Aladdin probably doesn't want to die. If this isn't the case and Aladdin is actually dead, I hope that he was the first savior ever because that would be an interesting twist and that we see a lot of him in flashbacks. Also does anyone know if there will be a Genie? It looks like there's an Iago so maybe an Abu would be fun too?? Sorry Aladdin is my favorite Disney movie and I'm just so excited that he's on the show.

I thought it was hilarious that Hyde was captured in one episode and even more funny was when Zelena made a joke about how she expected him to plot and plan and go through twists and turns. It's always funny when characters peek through the fourth wall. She met the Evil Queen who Regina thought she banished but did not and although the show is going to play with the idea that Zelena will want to be sisters with the Evil Queen, I refuse to believe that Zelena would especially after her arc last season. Also I didn't really like how Zelena tried to compare her situation with Hades as similar to the love that Regina and Robin had. I still feel like he'll be back. I'm not really sure how but if Robin was Regina's True Love, I don't see how she can be with someone else. Don't people in this world only have one True Love? It would be interesting though if the show went with the idea that people have multiple True Loves and the one that they meet first is the one they are with.

Speaking of True Love, Rumple and Belle are still on the outs. I didn't expect her to forgive him for everything but I thought during last season, they were making progress. It was kind of funny how when Morpheus told Rumple he only had one hour to wake Belle, he said he'd make her fall in love with him again. I actually snickered to myself and thought that was ambitious. When that Morpheus turned out to be their son I was surprised and I kind of really felt bad for Rumple when he talked about how his unborn son already hates him. Rumple and Belle's relationship is so strange because I want them to be together but then Rumple goes and does something stupid. I do want Belle to be happy and it's highly unlikely that Rumple will put her first so I find myself wondering if she should be with someone else but then I'm like but Beauty and the Beast!!!

Emma and Hook are still very cute but I find it hilarious that they've toned done Emma's eye makeup as though her heavy makeup was a way to keep up her walls. It's definitely very weird because I really liked her makeup and her hair down but this is just a small nitpick. I am curious as to why the shaking and tremors only started up when the Untold Story world appeared. I wonder if it's linked to the Oracle. I don't like the idea of Emma hiding this from Hook because it seems dumb to me. I hate when tv shows use the secrets storyline because problems are always easier solved when they're not hidden and then we have to go through the arc of lovers pulling apart and being pissed when the secrets are revealed. It's a cheap cliche and doesn't make me dislike the characters but the show writers. Also first Archie appearance in a long time!!!

Well that seems to be everything! I did enjoy the episode and I'm glad that the show has decided to focus it's attention on the characters rather than the setting this year because I think it'll be a nice change of pace and may be what the show needs to refresh itself. It might be a nice callback to season 1 if there are problems of the week that tie to the main story. Normally I hate this kind of monster-of-the-week storyline but I think it might be fun this season. I hope we get more Aladdin and Jasmine and the Oracle! I'll see you tomorrow for my Gotham review!!

xoxo Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment