Tuesday, November 7, 2017

The Flash Season 4 Episode 5 Review

This is one of those episodes that seems like fun on paper but in practice was a little strange to watch and not very well executed which is super disappointing cause so much of the episode should have worked!

I loved the idea of a girls night out where they solve the problem for the day but instead of having a really smart episode with some of the smartest ladies of the Arrowverse, we got a lot of bumbling around and loose threads dangling all over the place. And for the love of everything writers, you DON'T HAVE TO SAY #FEMINISM EVERY FIVE SECONDS FOR THE AUDIENCE TO UNDERSTAND THAT THE WOMEN OF THIS SHOW ARE BADASS!! Felicity was here but she added nothing to the episode, Iris's pregnant stepmom was at her bachelorette for some reason and every time the ladies tried to come up with a plan, it was idiotic. I wanted to see the ladies come up with genius plans and execute them flawlessly like Sara and Amaya do on Legends when they're alone. Instead because of the comedic tone of the episode or whatever, they had no plans and were caught in seconds.

And that's not even including all the Killer Frost stuff which was probably the only redeeming part of this episode (minus drunk Barry tbh) and even that was rough and clumsily written. Last season Killer Frost was so badass and powerful but this season she's afraid of someone with metal powers? I was expecting something much stronger with how frightened she was. I also get the point that Killer Frost needed to be talked down but if Cisco wasn't enough to stop her last season how would Iris be enough especially since we literally were told that Caitlin doesn't see Iris as anything more than a coworker! I do like the idea of Caitlin and Killer Frost reaching a better point tonight where now it's more of a Hulk situation and not a Dr Jekyl and My Hyde situation so now Caitlin will be in charge unless she's in danger and that's when Frost will come out. At least that's what I gathered.

Amunet was fun though I didn't really understand why everyone was so afraid of her. Remember those loose ends I was talking about earlier? Why in the actual hell did the girls let her escape? Like I get not killing her but why couldn't they trap her until the police got there? And why did they just let that meta leave without a care in the world? Also where did Felicity go after that scene? She didn't even get a goodbye scene? Sheesh.

Drunk Barry was the best part of the episode hands down. I cackled every time he did anything. This does not cover how utterly repulsed I am by Ralph. I thought maybe I just needed some time to warm up to him last week or that he was putting on a smarmy act last week but nope he just really is a creep. Like plenty of tv show characters are into strip clubs and hitting on women constantly but I think the problem here is that he's not charming enough for me to enjoy his character so everytime he does anything I'm like nope no thank you please go away. I CANNOT believe we wrote off my baby Wally for him. But back to drunk Barry. I loved how exasperated everyone was with him and how literally no one wanted to be at this strip club. Cisco was bored out of his mind, Harry was learning about how much the woman are paid and Joe is being a responsible almost stepdad.

Next week also looks irritating cause it's a Ralph centric one. Ugh. When's the crossover again?

xoxo Allie

PS Sorry about not reviewing Supergirl last night! I was crazy busy and wasn't able to watch the episode until today so I couldn't review it for you all! Overall thoughts it was a pretty good episode (definitely better than the Flash tbh.) Sanvers got a lovely goodbye and we had some fun with Lena and Morgan Edge though I do hope we get an explanation on why Edge is such an ass cause right now he's just an ass because. I loved the scene where Supergirl saved the plane and I can't wait until next week when we get to dive into Kara and Alex's past!

No comments:

Post a Comment