Tuesday, November 20, 2018

The Flash Season 5 Episode 6 Review

Is it any wonder that I loved tonight's episode? You know my love for Caitlin and anytime an episode is centered around her, I'm happy as a clam!

The main storyline this week revolved around Caitlin and her dad. I figured pretty early on that Caitlin's dad was probs a villain and a meta (cause why else would he be alive and hiding) but I don't know why I never assumed that he would be like Caitlin with a dual personality! We learned that the reason Caitlin has these powers is cause of a lab experiment that her dad ran and honestly I was down with this explanation cause Caitlin being born with these powers (like that vibe seemed to hint at) didn't fit into the rules of this world! I loved meeting Icicle and I really do hope that he's around more in the future cause I do love ice powers. We also got Killer Frost back but it seems like it's only the one time. The explanation that DeVoe put a mind block in Caitlin's mind to separate Killer Frost from her is also an amazing explanation that makes a ton of sense cause it seemed silly that everyone else got their powers back except for her. Part of the reason I loved this episode so much was because not only did we get so many answers but they were good ones!

I also really loved the Barry/Cisco/Caitlin team up cause it's been a hot second since this trio did something on their own. Barry, Cisco and Caitlin have never been as OG as Oliver, Diggle and Felicity but it was a nice callback especially with the old photo Cisco had of them with Harrison "Eobard Thawne" Wells. I still low-key ship Catilin and Cisco cause they just care about each other so much but I can never decide if the show will pull that trigger or not. On the one hand they never seem to have overt romantic moments but on the other, they seem to put the other above all of their other friends. I liked that Cisco was the one to be suspicious of the whole situation and that he was the one who told Caitlin that she could find Killer Frost again while Barry was compromised while looking at the situation cause all he could think about was Nora! You know it's a little weird that we focus so much on Barry's family and a little on Caitlin's but we've pretty much never looked at Cisco's other than knowing his brother died. Is he close with his parents? Does he have any other family?

Sidebar one of the best moments of this episode was when Cisco saw the core of Sally the satellite and he was like a little dark matter never hurt anybody and Barry was like dude what.

The others spent the episode trying to figure out who Cicada was by splitting up into two teams with two different methods of finding him. Nora, Iris and Sherloque went off to find out what shrapnel hit Cicada while Ralph and Cecile went to find who might have gotten treated with their daughter. I liked that Nora was so excited to spend time with Iris and it warmed my heart to see how happy Iris was every time Nora was nice to her. It was everything and I liked that Sherloque low-key was helping them bond too. The Cecile and Ralph stuff was a little more boring but I did love how badass Cecile was in the end with threatening that insurance fraud guy. Both teams were able to get their jobs done with finding the core that hit Cicada and then finding who looks to be his daughter. If they found his daughter, then they probably found Cicada also right?

Cicada was also in this episode but I don't really understand what's happening to him. It seems like he's becoming a meta in the sense that whenever he gets attacked, he gets stronger or maybe it's the dark matter from that shrapnel that got lodged in him that's giving him the strength. Either way, unlike Spin (the meta with the phone), Cicada's powers don't just come from the shrapnel alone which is interesting cause he hates metas more than anything but if he's becoming one, what will he do? I also like that this season of Flash is low-key doing the same thing as Supergirl with humans hating what's different but in a quieter way cause I don't need another show to make me sad and hate humanity!

The promo for next week was a bit confusing to see what was happening but it looks like Barry might be hurt by Cicada but it's always kind of funny to see the show do this cause there's no chance that their main character would actually get hurt! It feels a bit like a Christmas episode but the midseason finale is the week after and normally acts like the Christmas episode so it'll be interesting to see. We've also seemed to have jumped forward in time at some point this season if we're already at Christmas cause it was supposed to be May when we started the season.

Anyway, I'll see you all Friday for my weekly drama thoughts and then Monday for Arrow!

xoxo Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment