Friday, November 23, 2018

What Dramas Am I Watching This Week?

Here's what I'm watching this week! Of course the list is split by country and episodes I've seen so far are written below! There will be spoilers from now on so if you aren't caught to the episode number list, you might want to go watch that episode and then come back! If you're interested in previous lists, click here and if you want to see a list of my favorite asian OTPs and ships, click here! The list this week is much shorter than normal cause it's Thanksgiving here in the states and cause of that I was a little too busy to watch my normal dramas!

KDRAMA


Fluttering Warning (6/16): A dermatologist, Cha Woo Hyun is extremely popular with women, but he doesn’t have much interest in dating. Yoon Yo Jung is a famous actress, who hasn’t been able to date another man since rumors started to spread 15 years ago. By mere coincidence, they decide to establish a contract in which they decide to “pretend” to others that they are dating and in love with each other.

These two are so precious! I love that this show feels so sweet and drama-free while also not being completely fluffy and boring though it is still pretty early on in the season and that could change later which I'm hoping is not the case! The show is funny without being over-the-top, romantic without being cheesy and I adore pretty much everyone in the cast! I loved watching Yo Jung try to figure out how Woo Hyun felt about her all episode and it was adorable seeing how jealous he got even if he tried to hide it (which props cause a little jealously is cute but too much is creepy.) There's something so sweet about the way Woo Hyun looks at Yo Jung and it really makes it seem like he adores her! I'm also super down with the slow build for their relationship cause if these two get together too early, then it's either too much angst or too much cheesy romance that doesn't work. As I expected now that the rich girl has backed off, Woo Hyun's dad is going full force and I'm more annoyed with Woo Hyun than his father in this case. He should tell Yo Jung and her company the truth about who he is cause they are being targeted for something that has nothing to do with them and I'm afraid they're going to take his dad's "investment offer" and lose the company! 
FINISHED The Smile Has Left Your Eyes (16/16): A TV series centered around the unfolding relationship between free and unpredictable yet dangerous Kim Moo Young, who is called a "monster". He is the first assistant in a Korean beer brewery who becomes a suspect when his girlfriend's suicide turns out to be murder. His life begins to change when he meets a kind, warm advertising designer named Yoo Jin Kang, who wishes to be Moo Young's safe haven. She bears as many emotional scars as him. Yoo Jin Kang also has a brother, a homicide detective named Yoo Jin Gook, with 27 years of job experience. He strives to "reveal" who Moo Young really is and attempts to keep his sister, Jin Kang, away from Moo Young, with whom she begins to know.

Oh my god guys. What a beautiful end to a beautiful show. I cried like a baby through half of it and the other half I was trying not to melt into my seat! The kdrama managed to keep everything that was beautiful about the jdrama while changing enough things to make everything I wasn't a fan of into something I was. Though a part of me wanted the kdrama to end on a happier note, most of me felt like the tragic ending was what made this drama so incredible. We finally got all our answers in that Jin Kang and Moo Young were childhood friends and that his dad killed her parents and his mom and then Jin Gook killed the dad. After hearing the whole story, I still don't understand why Jin Gook hated Moo Young so much during the show and I still can't help but feel like this was all Jin Gook's fault. Instead of keeping everything a secret he should have told Moo Young the truth one of the multiple times the poor guy came to him looking for answers. By not doing so, he left Moo Young open to be manipulated by the rich girl and was directly responsible for everything that happened afterwards (even if I still put a little blame on Moo Young too.) It was so poetic that the one time he actually killed someone was the one time he finally felt human. I loved seeing Moo Young grapple with his horror and pain after thinking Jin Kang was his sister and then his incredible breakdown when he found out that she wasn't his sister after all. I loved that Jin Kang learned everything and still loved him and wasn't manipulated into killing him like she was in the jdrama. Though the murder-suicide was poetic in the jdrama, I like that it was the secretary to actually killed them in this cause it felt more heartbreaking that Jin Kang and Moo Young had just decided to live together when he came in and destroyed everything. She protected him one last time and he was able to tell her that he loved her for the first and last time. This drama was definitely one of my favorites from this year and I'm heartbroken that it is over. I'd definitely give this show a 10 / 10 and say it's a must watch!!!
When Time Stopped (10/12): A man who can stop time meets a woman unaffected by time.
Moon Joon Woo is a seemingly-ordinary person, except for the fact that he can stop time. His special ability makes him lonely and he finds no meaning in life. When he needs somewhere to live, he moves into a basement owned by the building owner, Kim Sun Ah. Kim Sun Ah is a hard-working, financially struggling girl who appears to have much joy in her life, but in fact struggles to pay off her father's debt. Joon Woo finds that when he stops time, Sun Ah is not affected and continues to walk amongst a time-stopped world. With bubbly Sun Ah by his side, can the lonely Joon Woo begin to find the meaning of his existence?

Raise your hand if you're also confused about what's happening in this world. The problem with fantasy shows are though I love them, the rules are different in each one which makes understanding what's happening difficult especially since it's in a different language. I need a show like this to tell me the rules at the start so I can follow what's going on but fantasy shows like to keep everything hidden so they can surprise you later. The finale for this show is next week and I have so many questions. Does every powered human become a reaper? Is "God" just a moniker that gets passed around? Is the goal of "God" to make those powered people happy? Why are they hunting Joon Woo if he's a reaper? Do reapers get to keep their human powers? Why is Joon Woo running around acting like a human? I hope we get real answers next week cause I don't know if I can handle it if we don't! This week we spent most of the time learning that the main reaper we were following was Sun Ah's childhood friend's father and we learned that Joon Woo used to be a reaper and that Sun Ah is his fated love but what that means we don't know. I did like that these two finally kissed this week though I feel like based on the length and pacing of this show, we should have spent less time with the other building tenants and focused more on this reaper world since that's the most interesting and least-developed part.

xoxo Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment