Friday, December 8, 2017

Agents of SHIELD Season 5 Episode 3 Review

Guys this new season of Agents of SHIELD is KILLING it. I'm so utterly confused and loving every single moment.

I love that SHIELD decided to go for it this season and unlike Inhumans actually created a whole world that feels larger than what we're seeing and produced actual threats and ways of making the show have stakes. My biggest problem with Inhumans was how for an advanced world, their set looked like something I could have built with no budget and for a show about Inhumans there were barely any Inhumans to be found. This future world has none of these problems and the only downside for me is how confused I am about everything but in this case that's a good thing cause that means there is a lot in this world that I have yet to discover or understand. I just hope that we get explanations soon cause a little confusion is fun but prolonged confusion can turn audiences off.

Let's start with Jemma and Abby. I grinned as soon as I saw Ciara Bravo's name in the credits for this episode cause I loved her on Big Time Rush and Red Band Society so it was fun to see her here as well. I love that she's an inhuman that can change the density of her body because not only it is great to see more inhumans on this show, but because it allowed our world to get a bit larger and for us to learn more about this world. Apparently everyone who turns eighteen gets the chance to go through terragenesis like the Inhumans did and if they become Inhuman, they're sold to a woman who according to the preview trailer runs an inhuman fighting ring and their families are set for life. I'm not sure if the show explained if every single eighteen year old needs to go through terragenesis or if it's a choice like going to college or something (terrible example but you know what I mean....) I loved Jemma acting like a mother to Abby and that she was able to get through to her with that beautiful analogy of stars in space.

Meanwhile Kasius is still uber creepy and I can't wait for Jemma to murder the shit out of him. Sinara seems to really dislike Jemma on a personal level as though she is jealous that Kasius is so mesmerized by Jemma. Why? It seems strange that Kasius finds Jemma pretty or interesting in the first place cause to me it seems like the Kree view humans as a sort of pet and you wouldn't fall in love with a pet. Sinara shouldn't really be worried but maybe she acts this way with all humans and since we're following Jemma, we see her interact with Jemma more.

Sidebar, remember when Terrigen crystals used to kill humans that didn't have Inhuman DNA in them? Are we just pretending that doesn't exist anymore after in Inhumans when humans were touching those crystals and nothing was happening to them?

I also have another question about these Inhumans. I thought that the backstory for Inhumans was that a rogue faction of the Kree created Inhumans but then the Inhumans became too powerful and other factions of the Kree decided that the experiment wasn't a good idea and killed all the Inhumans they could find. If I'm remembering that correctly, why would they continue to create Inhumans now? Wouldn't the Kree (and whatever type of alien that woman who buys Inhumans is) be afraid that the Inhumans would try to overpower them eventually or do they think they've made the humans on the Lighthouse so compliant that rebellion wouldn't even come across their minds? Maybe they waited a few decades to allow the humans to lose all hope before reintroducing the Terrigen Mist?

Daisy was sold into the Inhuman fight ring as well and the whole time I was just like "Daisy no." It drives me crazy cause our team are supposed to be spies! I don't care if you've been dropped into a different world, you have to blend in just enough to gather intel before attacking. I don't think I'm a fan of Deke but he had a point! Daisy should have played the long game or at least a longer game than she did. She literally just stormed into the upper decks with literally no plan and in the least subtle way. How did she think it was going to go? I understand being worried about Jemma but she needs to know that Jemma can take care of herself. I do kind of like that Daisy ended up in the ring at the end cause it gives us an in into the Inhuman world of the future so I'm excited about that. I hope we see more of Ciara Bravo in that case.

So I guess we should talk about Deke and Tess now cause they're apparently main characters in this arc. I think I like Deke more than Tess to be honest even if he did sell out Daisy in the end and that he's clearly looking out for himself more than anyone else. But the weird thing is that he does oddly enough care about the rest of the people on the Lighthouse and when he told Daisy that he's playing the long game at the end, it made me wonder if maybe he's still on Daisy's side but playing it from a different angle. Tess on the other hand was seriously annoying this episode with her constant bemoaning over our team not following her rules. Like we get it Tess but shut up already. After three or four times of saying the same thing over and over, I'm exhausted.

Speaking of, I'm kind of interested in this "us v them" thing the team has going on. It's strange cause if this was me in their shoes I would be the person trying to get back to the past because this isn't my time or my people. I'm sorry if that's callus but honestly if Deke is right in this world follows multiverse logic, this timeline is set and there's no point in fixing it now and the best thing to do is go back and make sure this timeline isn't our timeline even if this timeline will still exist in a parallel universe. Phew I hope that made sense cause time travel is very confusing. I feel like Daisy, May and Yoyo seem to be in the same mindset as me while Coulson, Mack and Jemma seem to be more of the mindset that we need to help these people or in Coulson's case maybe we are meant to be here and not in the past. Coulson I love you but no. This is a fun world to play around in for a few episodes or a season but I want my normal world back and my baby Fitz isn't here so not even a small chance!

Yoyo had some fun with her speed and I love her so much. I'm so glad she's a regular on the show now. It was so awesome watching her outsmart everyone and steal that tablet and plant that gun. Mack was not happy by it but again it's one of those us or them thing. I was also hoping for more Daisy and Yoyo team ups but with Daisy gone, Yoyo has to be very careful with her powers now especially since we know the Kree have Inhuman inhibitors. Again, you guys have to be spies! Plan the long game!

Coulson, May and Mack found a transmission that they believe is coming from the Earth. I totally thought it was going to be Fitz as soon as the radio was found and that Virgil was talking to him (through timey wimey stuff) but then I wondered if maybe he found a way to get a message to the future like with the post card. I was a bit disappointed to find that wasn't the case at the end of the episode but I'm interested to see who is living on the Earth now. I don't believe the show would hint at this if you really couldn't live on the Earth anymore.

Sidebar I kind of really wish that this show would acknowledge the rest of the MCU. Like okay we can't see the Avengers on screen but at least have someone drop a mention or something about how they all died? Or what about the Inhuman Royal Family? You're telling me that they couldn't teleport somewhere else when the Earth was dying when they did the exact same thing when Attilan was destroyed. Inhumans as a show did so poorly that they should just merge the worlds together. The Royal Family would do great on SHIELD and we'd have answers to so many questions! Plus more Inhumans is always a good thing (even if the show is not worth watching!)

I can't wait until next week! I hope we get more answers about this world and the Inhumans! Also I would love to see Fitz again but I feel like it's too soon yet.... I really want that Fitz/Hunter team up on Earth kicking ass and taking names.

I'll see you all next Wednesday for my Riverdale midseason finale review and boy do I have thoughts on that first half season!

xoxo Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment