Thursday, December 7, 2017

Arrow Season 6 Episode 9 Review

Ahh such a crazy and kind of sad episode of Arrow! Unfortunately as a midseason finale it was a bit underwhelming until the final scene though as an episode it was great. Shall we dive in?

So I want to start with the Oliver and Felicity wedding reception and how I was straight up grinning from ear to ear the whole time. Oliver seeing Felicity walk in for the first time, Donna and Thea bemoaning their elopement and being slightly salty, Oliver and Felicity doing all the wedding stuff like cake and bouquet tossing, Curtis getting super drunk, Donna and Quentin still having chemistry and Rene's beautiful speech about true love. Ugh I loved it all and though I would have liked to see more of them throughout or at least having a moment to be all cutesy outside the opening, it made sense cause of all that we had to deal with. I loved that Felicity backed all of Oliver's plays tonight and how much they were on the same page as each other the whole time.

Speaking of, the big thing this episode was that Lance found out that one of the team was testifying against Oliver and the episode devolved into OTA vs the newbies which was both sad and kinda awesome. I actually fell in love with the newbies throughout the course of last season and the start of this one so it was a bit heartbreaking to see the divide between the two but at the same time OTA has such a special place in my heart that it warmed me to see them stick together and that Oliver and Felicity trusted Diggle completely to let him in from the beginning. I did like that Diggle had a bit more of a struggle with not trusting Dinah cause of the friendship they formed and it was a bit of the same with Felicity and Curtis at the end. It also made sense why Oliver freaked out immediately about betrayal cause Evelyn really did dig in deep last season and it would scare Oliver to relive that.

So the mole turned out to be Rene which I kind of thought but at the same time I really thought the fact that it had to be a team member was a bit of a red herring. I was so sure that it would Black Siren pretending to be Earth 1 Laurel or that Evelyn survived Lian Yu and came back to seek more revenge. But on the off chance it was a team member, Rene was my top pick due to his custody battle for Zoey.

I don't know who's side I would pick in this whole thing cause I understand Rene was stuck between a rock and a hard place but at the same time, Rene is literally the smoking gun and without his testimony, Watson has nothing so he really should have spoken to the team about this. I don't know if I feel like Oliver overreacted or not cause I mean Rene is literally sending him to prison for life but at the same time I feel like he deserves a bit of slack cause I mean this is his family on the line. As a Arrow viewer who's followed Oliver for 6 years, my gut reaction is to choose Oliver but objectively Rene's choice makes sense.

What I am confused about is Curtis and Dinah's response to all this. Of course OTA had to look into the newbies and it's not like they did anything that the others wouldn't do. I mean Dinah hounded Diggle for two episodes about his thing and now she can't understand the idea of not turning against the team? And Curtis I would understand leaving the team if he didn't want to be a vigilante anymore because of Paul but nope he's just uncomfy with the team spying on him. Personally I don't think this whole thing was a breach of trust because if my life was on the line, I'd want to be double sure who was by my side. Oliver's gone through way too many betrayals to trust so easily. Slade, Adrian, Evelyn, Isabel, Anatoli.... The list goes on and on.

I'm not too worried cause I'm sure the team will reconcile soon enough. I want to know if the others think Rene is right in testifying against Oliver for his daughter cause who's to say that Watson now that she has Rene by the balls won't make him testify against the rest of them?

The episode ends with us finding out that the Arrow Cave is bugged and that's how Cayden James was one step ahead of the team which is a bit silly cause how do they not sweep for bugs? I understand Team Flash not doing it but Oliver and co are much more paranoid so you would think.... The reveal that Anatoli, Vigilante, Black Siren, Cayden James and Dragon are all working together was so exciting! I love the idea that Cayden is the brains of the operation and Anatoli is the one to predict how Oliver will move while the others are the muscle. It's a great villainous team up and I can't wait to see more!

On a sidebar, I am a little annoyed that Vigilante is just straight evil now cause I thought it would have been so much more interesting if he was an anti-hero so that Dinah had to wrestle with the idea of whether or not she still loved him. Now that he's a clear villain, it won't be such a grey struggle but more of a black and white one.

I also loved everything we got with Black Siren and Quentin. Soft Black Siren reminded me of how much I miss Earth 1 Laurel and suddenly I'm not so against Black Siren turning good again.

Ugh you know the more I talked about this episode, the more I talked myself into liking it more. I'm sad we have to wait until January to get more! The promo shows that the newbies will be creating their own team cause they still want to be in the field and Oliver is struggling on his own which begs the question of how many episodes this fight will go on. Normally my money would be on one or two episodes but this season of Arrow has taught me that the show can slow down some storylines longer than expected like the John Diggle Green Arrow one so I have no idea! I just hope it's sooner rather than later cause I don't like them split apart. I also wonder if there's a way for Rene not to testify but keep Zoey... I mean what real hardcore evidence does Watson have about any of them besides the testimony of Rene?

My Riverdale midseason review will be up next Wednesday and then keep an eye out for my rankings of midseason finales!

xoxo Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment