Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Riverdale Season 2 Episode 9 Review

The midseason finale of Riverdale just aired and I have thoughts! Overall I enjoyed what we got though the episode didn't really feel too much like a midseason finale.

Let's start with the Black Hood and how we finally found out who he was. The reveal was a bit disappointing and for some reason I have the feeling that the janitor isn't really the Black Hood and that the actual BH forced him to pretend to be it or that if the janitor was the hitman, there's still a mastermind pulling the strings and telling the BH who to kill. It just seems kind of anticlimactic that this janitor we've only just starting seeing a few episodes ago was the BH and not a main character or even a side character that we've been following for a season. And I'm still confused as to how he knew so much about Betty. No high school janitor should know that a random student liked Nancy Drew when she was a kid. Besides that, we're only halfway through the season so somehow the second half needs to fit with this first half and the only lingering overarching storyline is this.

The craziest part of the episode was the stuff with Jughead and I still cannot believe what we saw with him this week. My heart BROKE last week when FP told Jughead that he disappointed him. (What did you think I was going to say Bughead breaking up? Nah that was sad but I'm pretty sure they're not done yet so I was more interested in the FP/Jughead relationship.) This week FP seemed so angry with Jughead, more than he ever seemed before and I get it cause Jughead really made some piss poor decisions when FP was in jail. Their relationship is right up there with the Lodges for me.

FP and I were both stunned when Jughead talked about proud he was to be a Serpent and all I could think was Juggie no. Especially when he literally cut off the Snake Charmer's Serpent tattoo. Shit, is there anyone who doesn't think this will come back to bite Jughead in the ass? Also what's keeping her from releasing the video anyway? I thought maybe the Serpents would find some blackmail on her but never did I think they would try to kill her or banish her. I was so ready for the Serpents to play detective like Betty always does so I was a bit disappointed we didn't get much of that. Jughead this season seems to have decided to take Archie's brain and use that instead of his own. One poor decision after another.

I'm also a little worried about this new Jughead and how it'll affect Betty. I know Betty says that she wants Jughead to be whoever he wants and that she loves him and wants to fit into his life but a lot of the stuff Jughead is doing right now is really sending him down a terrible path and I don't know if she deserves having to deal with all that. Don't get me wrong, Jughead is my baby and I will love him to death but he's in a horrible place for a relationship especially considering whatever Betty is doing now too. She's right on the cusp of Dark Betty constantly. I did love their gifts to each other though. I laughed out loud when Betty handed him that huge box and I knew right away that it was a typewriter. I hope this means Jughead will write more and I loved the note he wrote to Betty with that signed book. Her face was the face of someone who hasn't moved on yet.

Sidebar, so now Jughead kissed Toni and Betty kissed Archie when Betty and Jughead broke up. We never got a scene where Jughead admitted he kissed someone else when they broke up so does this mean that Betty can't be mad at Jughead for his indiscretion or does the fact that Betty kissed the one guy Jughead was afraid she would leave him for break them up for good?

Speaking of Betty, she and Archie were the ones to figure out who the Black Hood was. I kind of zoned out for this part cause I've stopped being a fan of this BH storyline a few episodes ago once he stopped threatening Betty and he basically killed no one. I mean no one's shedding tears for Grundy. I did enjoy seeing Betty and Archie be close. I don't really ship them but I did enjoy a lot of their moments together, especially when they were opening Secret Santa presents. I know they're supposed to be best friends from childhood but weren't Archie and Jughead like that too? Did they just constantly exclude him from their things? Anyway, their kiss felt out of nowhere though and neither seemed to want to discuss or repeat it again afterwards especially since apparently after this kiss Archie dropped off a sweet locket for Veronica. I wonder if this means that neither felt anything in the kiss or if at the very least Archie felt nothing.

Also was anyone else waiting for that awkward moment when Betty looked out her window and saw Varchie making out on the porch? No? Just me? Ooops.

The Lodges are one of my favorites. I love how sneaky and mob boss-y they always seem to me and now that Veronica knows the whole plan, I can't wait to see what happens. I wish we had heard it out loud but it can't be too terrible if Veronica agreed to help with it right? So maybe the Lodges aren't being that nefarious after all? Also what credit card allows you to charge 85,000 on it? What a guardian angel Fred has. Who else has a rich ass friend who would pay off your medical bills? As much as ethically I want to say Veronica seemed right, I would have to side with her parents on this one. That's a shit ton of money and just cause they have it doesn't mean they should hand it out whenever they want tbh. Does that sound callus? Sorry not sorry. And what kind of health insurance wouldn't even pay a fraction of the hospital bill? Someone needs a new insurance plan.

The others didn't have much to do outside of quickly appearing. Cheryl was the only one who got some storyline and it seems as though money problems is a common theme this week. Although apparently Cheryl's mom's idea for solving the problem seems to be sleeping with someone else. I didn't recognize who that was in that quick shot we got so I'm sorry about that!

We won't be back until mid January but it looks like a fun episode to return on. The Southside will be merging with the Northside and drama abounds I suppose! It looks like Varchie is officially back together and we didn't get any shots of Betty but I can't wait to see what happens. Bughead are going to have a hard time staying apart when they're around each other constantly again. I can't wait! Also this wasn't in the trailer but I kind of need Jughead and Veronica to hang out more. They just have so much in common and they barely spend any time together.

And with this I have officially finished my last midseason finale review so keep an eye out for my midseason finale rankings post that should be up sometime Friday or Saturday!

xoxo Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment