Monday, December 4, 2017

Supergirl Season 3 Episode 9 Review

Holy moly guys! I didn't know if this was going to be a good episode or not based on how I felt about a lot of the story that led to this point but man was I wrong! Everything (minus two things) worked for me and it was an epic season finale despite us all knowing everything will be fine!

So let's start with Reign cause how can you not?? I still really don't like that Reign is kind of a second personality like Killer Frost was to Caitlin cause I always feel like that's lazy writing but like the Killer Frost thing I need to accept it and move on. I also still don't like Ruby who acts like such a brat and honestly I'm calling it now that she's just around to be the reason that Samantha snaps back from Reign in the end cause I have a feeling that since Samantha herself isn't evil, that she'll go back to normal by the end of the season. Straight up I roll my eyes every time Ruby is on screen.

I thought Reign's costume was a little lame when I first saw the promo pictures for it but seeing it in action really sold it for me. I also really loved that Reign's mask really did cover up and disguise a lot of her face cause usually it's like dude your mask is only covering up your cheekbones, how can I not recognize you though in this world people can't recognize Kara as Supergirl so it's kind of just a thing we have to ignore. I also freaking loved the fight between Kara and Reign at the end of the episode. It was super badass and I loved how it was shot all around the city. The only thing I disliked was that the camera was so shaky which is supposed to make us feel like we're in the fight but all it did was make everything blurry and hard to see though I did enjoy the shaky camera in the docks when Reign beat up those gang members. Anyone else get a sort of Batman vibe?

Sidebar do we know why Reign is so much more powerful than Kara? Was she made to collect more sun radiation than a normal Kryptonian? Also what does Reign want? It seemed like she wants to save the world but her methods of going about it is to kill anyone standing in her way rather than the typical rule the world villain plot we see. I hope I read that correctly cause it'd make a really cool plot twist.

I adore Imra guys. I didn't think I would cause I love Kara and Mon El together and I don't want to see him with another woman but Imra is just so cute and energetic and so so pretty that I just can't help but love her. Since I didn't review the episode that Mon El came back in, I'll recap my thoughts on this whole thing. I hate that the showrunners made Mon El married cause it's such a rehash of season 1 when Kara was watching James and Lucy together and I really don't see how this can end well cause we all know that Kara and Mon El will end up together (otherwise there really was no point in having everyone talk about him all season and having him return) so either Imra dies (please don't cause I love her and she deserves to be happy too) or they end up divorced which is weird. I saw some comments online saying that Mon El and Imra are probably just pretending to be married for reasons but I don't see that after this week. This whole thing is kind of making me want Kara to move on from Mon El (especially since we know Brainiac 5 is coming and he's played by Jesse Rath who I loved in Defiance.)

I was really hoping for more about the Legion but I understand that this is a Reign episode and there's only so much you can do. Also I know Kara is heartbroken but come on no one wanted to know more about the Legion or the 31st century or anything?? And of course I'm still waiting for Mon El's super suit and now I want Saturn Girl to get one as well! Does she have any powers other than strength? I hope we see more soon cause I'm so excited the Legion is on Supergirl this season!!!

James and Lena had their own thing this week and I kind of really like them together. I wasn't sure how I felt about them at first but as the season went on I've warmed up to them. I love that James is getting something to do and how hilarious was it that he carries his Guardian shield with him all the time? They make a pretty awesome power couple and I loved that he backed her up when she went to Morgan Edge rather than trying to take over. Speaking of, Edge was still really annoying but I'm loving him as a villain. He's so Lex Luthor and I'm here for it!

This was a great midseason finale and I'm sad that we have to wait until January for Supergirl to return but next week's episode is called The Legion of Superheroes so I'm crossing my fingers we finally see them! The promo mostly showed a lot of Reign being evil but there was a quick shot of the Legion Rings so PLEASE! It also looks like Kara might still be out cold from Reign attacking her which could be fun.

Don't forget to check out my Flash and Legends of Tomorrow midseason finale reviews tomorrow night!

xoxo Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment