Monday, January 22, 2018

Supergirl Season 3 Episode 11 Review

Damn now this was what I call an episode of Supergirl! I was so ambivalent about last week's episode cause though I enjoyed parts of it, nothing in the episode gave me a rush of joy or excitement like this one did. This is the Supergirl I enjoy the most.

So I had rolled my eyes last week when I saw the preview showing Kara and Imra team up with Livewire and Psi cause I was like here goes another dumb reason the show gives to not have Martian Manhunter or Mon El or now Brainiac 5 suit up but as the episode went on, I actually didn't mind the reason and I actually enjoyed this idea of Supergirl teaming up with two villains. I loved seeing Livewire again cause of how much history she has with Kara and I was straight up grinning the whole time she and Kara gossiped about Mon El and Imra and I was dying cause I almost forgot that Livewire had met him last season. I also loved the differences between Psi and Livewire and how Livewire thought Psi talked like a snob and Psi thought Livewire talked like an idiot. The fact that both girls shaped up in the end was amazing and I loved that Livewire gave her life for Kara cause even though I always thought Livewire was a bit cheesy, I really felt for her tonight.

I also loved that Psi was able to bring Reign to her knees cause damn is she powerful in that case. It was sweet of Kara to upgrade her prison cell. It's like Suicide Squad Supergirl Edition. Speaking of, I was really disappointed we didn't get to see what Imra was scared of when Psi accidently attacked her which makes me feel like we'll see it again in the future and that it'll play a big role because we usually see the fears that Psi brings up in other people and if we didn't see it tonight, it's only because there will be a greater impact later on. I wonder if it has something to do with Kara cause Imra did give Kara a weird look afterwards. Would it be something as simple as her being afraid that Mon El will leave her for Kara?

Speaking of Mon El, the show keeps trying to pull me back in on his relationship with Kara. Just when I think I'm over them, bam they have a cute scene and suddenly I'm melting again. I loved that he was able to give her some good advice at the end of the episode and it really showed how much more mature he is now though I only wish the show would show us being a good leader and a good hero in the field cause I know this is Kara's show but if everyone keeps saying that he is the leader and a hero and he trained them, I want to see it! Also sidebar when Kara and Imra were heading out, he looked more worried that Kara would be in danger than Imra which was kind of hilarious.

Brainiac 5 is still my baby and I loved him being all exasperated in the DEO at how shitty technology in the 21st century is. Winn's rivalry with him made me chuckle and I loved Brainy being an asshole to them cause it's so true to who he is in the comics usually. I also loved that it was ultimately it was Winn who figured out how to send a signal to the Legion ship without making Brainy look dumb (CAUSE I HATE WHEN THE SHOW TRIES TO NERF CHARACTERS WE KNOW ARE BETTER THAN THAT.)

I still really don't care about Ruby but after tonight I'm fairly certain that if Sam does die by the end of the season (which I actually doubt now) then Alex is going to adopt her. Alex wanted kids and she and Ruby get along so I can connect the dots. I did love that Alex scared Ruby's bully into stopping her bullying by flashing her FBI badge and that Ruby helped Alex with Maggie's passport.

Speaking of Sam, it really does seem like a Caitlin/Killer Frost situation in that Sam and Reign are two separate personalities and that when one is in the forefront, the other can't remember. Although that might only be true for Sam cause Reign not only seems to know that Sam exists but seems irritated that Sam is constantly fighting for control. Because of this I feel like the season isn't going to end with the death of Reign but possibly with a way to keep Sam in the forefront and banish Reign (probably through Ruby) or actually turn Reign kind of how Killer Frost became less evil. I do like that Sam finally went to someone with her time loss problem and that it was Alex cause I'm sure she'll be able to figure out what's going on. I actually thought that she might take her mask off in the fight with Psi and allow Kara to realize Sam was Reign but I'm ultimately glad they're going this route instead.

We also learned that there are probably two more World Killers on Earth, Purity and Pestilence I think. I thought there were 9 in the comics but maybe that was too much for the show especially since Doomsday is one and I don't think Supergirl wants to go there. It looks like we met one of those at the end of the episode and again she's the same as Reign in that another personality was hidden inside. I can't decide if I like this back and forth thing the show is doing. Maybe a sleeper agent kind of thing would have been better...

Next week looks like the return of Morgan Edge which is fun cause he's such a scumbag though I do enjoy the more fantastical alien stuff with Supergirl more than the grounded politics stuff. I really wish the show could handle having real A and B storylines (like iZombie thrives with) where each episode Kara is dealing with the alien stuff and then we also have a continuing thread of Lena doing her thing cause I do enjoy both but after an episode like this I'm not really thrilled to dial it back for next week's episode. But I know that's asking too much for the writers of the Arrowverse so I'll just try to enjoy what I get.

Don't forget to check out my Flash review tomorrow night!

xoxo Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment