Friday, March 30, 2018

Agents of SHIELD Season 5 Episode 15 Review

Okay so I freaking loved this episode. I was super hesitant after last week and how much SHIELD broke my heart with the whole Fitz thing but I was so into all the flashbacks and HYDRA tie ins. It's been so long since we touched on these names that I had to hardcore google half of them to refresh my memory and it was amazing! Like I've said before, I know a lot of people are pissed that HYDRA is back but for me, there's no SHIELD without HYDRA. It's like Batman without the Joker or Superman without Lex.

Okay like I alluded to, I loved that this episode was mostly flashbacks. Some of SHIELD's best episodes are ones that are kind of bottle episodes like the Jemma on Maveth or Fitz and Hunter on Earth. It was so much fun to hear popular HYDRA names that appeared throughout this show and even in the movies and of freaking course there was a HYDRA Academy! Like it's so obvious that I'm surprised we've never thought about it before because after all there is a SHIELD Academy and the crazy loyalty HYDRA agents had to have popped out of somewhere. I even loved the callback to Ward having to shoot his dog as a way of removing weakness.

This episode definitely humanized Hale cause straight up when Whitehall basically told young Hale that the only thing she was good for was to have babies, I vomited in my mouth a little and wanted her to stab him right then and there. And I mean this is the guy who experimented on Daisy's mom for decades so I knew how despicable he was but something in the way he told Hale that she had to be a breeding machine just really pushed the line. I also liked that we learned that though she is HYDRA and everything now, she's really ultimately not and in a way just wants to save the world from aliens. I do wonder how much of her still believes in HYDRA's ways cause honestly I would think she would have been disillusioned with the whole thing after graduation but who really knows. She doesn't exactly seem to be a take over the world type but I could see Ruby as one.

Speaking of Ruby, I'm glad we finally got some answers on her front. I was wondering if she was maybe an LMD or an inhuman or something based on how strange she acted but it looks like nothing more than good old fashioned HYDRA training. She did seem to have more emotions in the flashbacks though so I'm wondering how much really changed in those two years and how she went from not wanting to kill her dog to chopping off people's arms just because.

I also kind of loved how she was in charge of freaking people out every time they came down to this bunker which I think is the HYDRA Academy and how Coulson was the only one to be like cute I know what tactic this is and you're not going to bother me. I loved that he was all on board for teaming up with Hale for the greater good until he realized exactly how the world was destroyed in the future. It does make me wonder if maybe Daisy is the Destroyer because of the chamber and not her Quake powers. I would kind of love that to be honest cause it would stop Daisy from fearing her powers.

One person I felt really really bad for was poor Talbot. I knew from the moment Hale appeared and said that she was Talbot's replacement and that Talbot wasn't okay anymore that she had him locked up somewhere and I was right. I wonder how much of Talbot going crazy at the beginning of the flashbacks were due to his brain injury and how much was due to some sort of drug that Hale was injecting him with. The reason I ask that is that if I was villain, that would be the perfect way to separate him from his family and friends and have him locked up without anyone looking. He did seem to mutter to himself a lot though kind of like Fitz did in season 2 so I feel as though maybe he did suffer some. What really broke my heart was how adamant he was in believing in Daisy and Phil and SHIELD. It made my heart melt a little that he didn't fall for Hale's tricks or anything and tried to hold out as long as he could. I hope he'll be okay in the future.

We didn't get too much on the Lighthouse base with our crew this week but what we did get in terms of the Fitz aftermath helped me feel better about what happened with Fitz last week. I was afraid the team wouldn't really understand what Fitz was going through and maybe blame him or hate him and see him as another Ward but I guess I forgot how much of a family SHIELD is and how most of them were in the Framework right alongside Fitz so they know pretty much what he's going through. I knew Daisy would still be angry but I figured May would understand cause she knows how sometimes you need to do what you need to do. I also knew Fitz and Simmons were going to be fine ultimately but I was worried that Mack would hold it against Fitz cause he was the reason that the robot shot Mack and put YoYo in danger so I was surprised to not only see Mack forgive him but to see him try to convince Jemma that Fitz wasn't all bad. It made me tear up. I love my SHIELD family.

Also sidebar, I can't wait to see YoYo's new arms in action.

But I have to say, the absolute best part of this episode was the ending where Jemma told Fitz about Deke being their grandson. I laughed out loud when Fitz was like "Deke's our grandson? But he's the worst" and then Jemma was like trying to talk about how amazing it all was and Fitz could only talk about how their daughter had to have married a space moron to make Deke and I cried of laughter again. I really really hope Deke and Fitz get to interact next week cause I NEED that.

Next week looks like Coulson is going to be tortured some more which is unfortunate but hopefully he gets to tell Creel that Talbot is still alive and in this bunker. I also want to see more of Ruby's plan cause it seems now that she wants to take this team from her mom cause she wants to be the Destroyer Of Worlds instead of Daisy like her mom wants which I'm not opposed to if I'm honest.

I'll see you all next week for my Arrow review!

xoxo Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment