Monday, December 3, 2018

Arrow Season 7 Episode 8 Review

I liked almost everything about this episode except for one but that one is casting a huge shadow over my enjoyment of the episode which annoys me. Tonight was the midseason finale for Arrow but it felt more like a premiere than a finale with how everything was being set up for the future now that Oliver is out of prison.

Let's start with the stuff I didn't like and that was the stuff with Oliver and Felicity. As I expected, their reunion though starting out precious and adorable turned into a mess when Oliver found out how much Felicity changed since he went to prison. I was actually liked Felicity pulling out that gun and shooting their intruder but I wasn't a fan of what it led to. I know for a fact that Oliver and Felicity are not getting divorced or breaking up not only cause it we've already been down this path before but because every interview the cast and producers had since Oliver and Felicity got married was to say that these two are endgame and they're never going to break up again and in a recent interview Stephen Amell even said that their problems would be resolved pretty quickly. Because of all this I'm sure Felicity's arc is going from dark to back to normal at some point this season and the only struggle is that I just don't want to watch my favorite couple go through this angst. Their final conversation didn't exactly sound promising with Felicity talking about how she doesn't know if what she's going through can work with them but I'm hoping that since both love each other that Oliver won't leave her side the way Felicity never left him when he was going through rough patches.

Continuing on with the Felicity stuff, I still refuse to believe that future Felicity was building a bomb to destroy Star City and that she was a villain no matter how much the show wants me to believe it. I won't stop believing this until the season ends and there's no chance of change. It's also kind of ridiculous to me that everyone is so quick to jump on this bandwagon. Dinah and Zoe I could understand and maybe even Roy since he's been gone for so long but William knows Felicity! I did like the introduction of Black Star played by Kat who I loved in Shadowhunters and for a second I wondered if she might be Oliver and Felicity's daughter but I feel like the others would have recognized her if that was the case. I'm also pretty sure that's she probably not a bad guy either but on the off chance she is, I still doubt Felicity's involvement and at the very least Felicity was probably pretending to be on board to get intel. We also learned that Rene is still around in the Glades and I'm still assuming that Oliver is dead but I'm curious about everyone else. Where's Diggle at???

Now everything else about the episode I really liked! I was super into the idea that Oliver would join the SCPD as an unmasked Green Arrow similar to how Supergirl works for the DEO. It honestly makes the most sense cause now that everyone knows who he is, he can never really be a masked vigilante again. I really enjoyed the back to basics approach this week of Oliver trying to get intel by going around and talking to people like in season 1 cause as much as I loved Team Arrow and Felicity hacking everything, it was nice to see our crew do some detective work. I really do think the new showrunner mixed everything up and because of that I don't know if we'll ever go back to the previous status quo as in I doubt we'll truly see Team Arrow in a bunker again. I think Oliver and Dinah and Rene will work in the SCPD (with Oliver and possibly Rene in costume), Diggle and Lyla and Curtis in ARGUS and Felicity doing Smoak Tech stuff with all of them working in tandem when big problems (aka the Big Bad) come up.

As I thought the ARGUS stuff that seemed weird and out of place in previous weeks ended up tying directly back to Diaz and The Longbow Hunters. The painting that they found was actually a codename for money transactions paying for the Longbow Hunters. I wasn't surprised to find that Diaz was still alive but I was shocked to see that Diggle and Lyla were holding him. In hindsight it makes sense cause he can't bribe ARGUS agents but it's probs not a great idea for them to trust him. I do like the idea that they're hiding this info from the others cause it'll be such delicious torture when it comes out especially for Oliver and Felicity. I kind of want Lyla to put a bomb in him Suicide Squad style even if we're not supposed to think that's a good thing cause it's super dangerous to let him out and about without a way to stop him. I don't know how much loyalty the Longbow Hunters have for him but if there's a chance they could try to grab Diaz if he's outside, the better to be safe!

We also found out that the new Green Arrow is in fact Emiko Queen aka Oliver's half sister. In the comics she was Robert and Shado's child who started out as an antihero/villain to Oliver but then ended up becoming one of his sidekicks. We know that Shado isn't her mom in the show but Robert is still her dad so I assume that at some point this season she'll become Red Arrow to Oliver's Green Arrow since Speedy and Arsenal were taken. The only thing with this is that there's already so many characters in this show that unless they start killing some off or having some leave the show, it'll get really crowded again. I'm curious about her backstory and why she even cares about the Glades and I can't wait to find out more.

Though this was the midseason finale, I will see you all next week for the crossover (which sadly seems to include none of the Arrow cast as far as I can see from promos and unfortunately Oliver and Felicity are not in a great place so she'll probs also not be around to confuse non-Arrow audiences) but I'll also be back tomorrow for my Flash review!

xoxo Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment